What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CO TE Mitchell Parsons (Transfer to CSU from Vanderbilt)

This will be getting bumped anyway, as it looks like he won an award as the top TE at his All-Star game.

So before we all go psycho on why CU is seemingly not recruiting him, let's discuss one point: Does HCMM use a TE in his offense much? I know I saw a TE in some formations, but it's not like a saw the double TE set, or a TE even very often (that I recall anyways).

We have the following depth chart of the young guys:
Hobbs - SO
Ray - FR
Irwin - FR

TE and RB seem like positions we may not have the luxury of taking a guy this year if we are taking just 17.

This will be getting bumped anyway, as it looks like he won an award as the top TE at his All-Star game.

So before we all go psycho on why CU is seemingly not recruiting him, let's discuss one point: Does HCMM use a TE in his offense much? I know I saw a TE in some formations, but it's not like a saw the double TE set, or a TE even very often (that I recall anyways).

Hobbs - SO
Ray - FR
Irwin - FR

TE and RB seem like positions we may not have the luxury of taking a guy this year if we are taking just 17.

This. Plus Wood and Fernandez are big bodies for lining up at TE as an extra blocker. Thornton coming back will be an interesting year 1 experiment in if/how the receiving TE is used if that's where they put him. If Hobbs stays with the program Mac will find a way to put him on the field.

It looked like they used a MOVE TE who was split out a little.

Parsons is tweeting he is not hearing from CU. I can go out on a limb and conclude he may not fit the new offense.

What is the deal here... we're starved for talent, this kid seems like he wants our attention, and we're not giving him any...

Hobbs - SO
Ray - FR
Irwin - FR

I like how SJSU used Otten (their TE) last season. Dude had 742 yards (second on the team), with 15.8 ypc.
Otten is 6-6, 245, right about where Parsons will be in the near future.
I'd still really like to get him, personally, because we've seen what teams with athletic tight ends can do.

Uh, what? Vanderbilt won six straight games to end the season. They were in every game but against Georgia (very close games against Florida and South Carolina). Granted none of the teams they beat were not world beaters, and I want Mitch to stay home too... but really don't see how CU has a higher ceiling in the immediate future then Vanderbilt.

Even Ole Miss, played very competitive games agains LSU and A&M...
Hey, our games against CSU and Sacramento State were close :wow:

I'm a little surprised that he hasn't heard from CU at this point. His 4* rank doesn't match his offer list and hype. At one time he seemed like a must have. Personally, I'd rather have too many TE's. They can sometimes translate into OL/DE/OLB depending on how they grow and build.

I'm a little surprised that he hasn't heard from CU at this point. His 4* rank doesn't match his offer list and hype. At one time he seemed like a must have. Personally, I'd rather have too many TE's. They can sometimes translate into OL/DE/OLB depending on how they grow and build.

or starting tackles for the new england patriots

6'5", 235lbs and athletic would pose all kinds of matchup problems for a defense regardless of the offense that is being run.

I don't know what happened with Parsons' recruiting during the season but I wish we could get him back. He is exactly the type of athlete CU has been lacking for many years.

I'm honestly ok with the scenario buffaholic laid out. It's not like the situation was when Embree was here where we aspired to be Stanford. Rarely will we use more than 1 tight end and since we currently have 7 on scholarship, it just might not be much of a need. WR is still probably more of a need since we only have 7 scholarships allotted to that position and we'll frequently have 4 or 5 WRs on the field.

Hagan is still on staff. If this kid was a priority, he'd have gotten the first call from HCMM. We are not recruiting him guys. I doubt we will ever know why, but it's absolutely NOT because the staff never heard of him or they didn't get the memo.

Parsons is in no way close to as athletic to Hobbs. Hobbs is tailor made for this Pistol offense.
Is Hobbs going to be here next year? I thought there was talk about a family situation that would keep him from staying in Boulder. I think he has the potential to be a special TE and I hope we get to see that potential realized.

Is Hobbs going to be here next year? I thought there was talk about a family situation that would keep him from staying in Boulder. I think he has the potential to be a special TE and I hope we get to see that potential realized.

His father has some sort of Tumor or growth on his spine that has him paralyzed and is evidently untreatable. I have not seen information either way whether this is life threatening or what. For the time being, Hobbs is back on campus and planning to continue at CU. Obviously, that could be subject to change.

His father has some sort of Tumor or growth on his spine that has him paralyzed and is evidently untreatable. I have not seen information either way whether this is life threatening or what. For the time being, Hobbs is back on campus and planning to continue at CU. Obviously, that could be subject to change.
Wow, that sounds awful for the Hobbs family.

Parsons is in no way close to as athletic to Hobbs. Hobbs is tailor made for this Pistol offense.

If the staff is looking for "move" TE's (which is what I strongly believe to be the case as both Ray and Irwin are big body types), I have recently seen some film of WR recruits who fit this bill rather nicely. Take a look at Leroy Masters to get an idea of what we may be looking for.

Not meant as disrespectful towards Parsons as he looks like a very good prospect for the right system. Not sure he's what we are looking for this year, with only 17 scholarships to give (including the greyshirts that will need to emerge).

Mitch wants CU to show interest in him! what the heck is going on? why are we not on this kid?

I love it when people jump into a thread and post a question without bothering to read anything written before them. We have 12 pages of this thread, and much of it discusses why CU appears to have quit recruiting Mitch under the previous regime. But no need to read 12 pages, just read this page and you will see that the current staff:

1. is not recruiting Mitch, and very likely not by accident, but by choice
2. some opinions on why.

Last edited:
Reactions: aik
I love it when people jump into a thread and post a question without bothering to read anything written before them. We have 12 pages of this thread, and much of it discusses why CU appears to have quit recruiting Mitch under the previous regime. But no need to read 12 pages, just read this page and you will see that the current staff:

1. is not recruiting Mitch, and very likely not by accident, but by choice
2. some opinions on why.

In his defense, a cogent summary of the situation wasn't provided in the post before his (it was provided 2 posts above his!). :rofl:

Regardless of whether he'd be a perfect fit or not, I think we should be recruiting him. We have to establish relationships with the local high schools. He's regarded as one of the top players in Colorado this year. You don't let those kind of players leave the state, and you sure as Hell don't let them end up at CSU.

Reactions: aik
Regardless of whether he'd be a perfect fit or not, I think we should be recruiting him. We have to establish relationships with the local high schools. He's regarded as one of the top players in Colorado this year. You don't let those kind of players leave the state, and you sure as Hell don't let them end up at CSU.

Signed,

Kody Sperry
fify.

So, your logic is that even if the kid doesn't fit your scheme and he won't break into the lineup, you use one of your few scholarships on him because he's a top player from Colorado? How does that help mend fences with local high schools? Does the scholarship also come with a promise of a juice box after every practice?

I think there's a good chance that if he visits Vanderbilt this weekend, that he will be committed there and that's probably a very good situation. Under no situation do I see this guy playing at CSU. He will take the greyshirt at Ole Miss first.

Back