What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CA QB Cade Apsay (Signed to COLORADO)

Just reading over some stuff on this weekend, Adam had an interesting note: Apsay actually weighs less than when he entered CU. How does that happen?

Some kids carelessly bulk up with the wrong kind of weight (baby fat) thinking it will help them at the next level. S&C's job is to get rid of that first, then build up with muscle on a solid, symmetrical foundation. Another thing kids, even from HS's where there's a good weight room coach, don't get is the importance of symmetry, going overboard for their favorite exercise, instead of doing tougher ones that balance out the body's musculature.

Some kids carelessly bulk up with the wrong kind of weight (baby fat) thinking it will help them at the next level. S&C's job is to get rid of that first, then build up with muscle on a solid, symmetrical foundation. Another thing kids, even from HS's where there's a good weight room coach, don't get is the importance of symmetry, going overboard for their favorite exercise, instead of doing tougher ones that balance out the body's musculature.
The only problem is that he didn't have a lot of weight to lose in the first place.

My new favorite allbuffs post is the one that says you need to get rid of baby fat before you can gain muscle.

Just reading over some stuff on this weekend, Adam had an interesting note: Apsay actually weighs less than when he entered CU. How does that happen?

Apsay came in too slight to see the field. Very disappointing that he didn't make any gains on that during his redshirt year.

If the reports are true, it is the reason you always bring in a QB every class. You never know when these kinds of things will happen.

If the reports are true, it is the reason you always bring in a QB every class. You never know when these kinds of things will happen.

Reports are based entirely on Apsay's listed weight on cubuffs.com's official roster this spring compared to the 2014 fall roster. Apsay's weight is 5 lbs less.

Reports are based entirely on Apsay's listed weight on cubuffs.com's official roster this spring compared to the 2014 fall roster. Apsay's weight is 5 lbs less.

Isn't Plati in charge of that stuff? Not saying I don't trust the man, but we all know how well he can count.

Apsay came in too slight to see the field. Very disappointing that he didn't make any gains on that during his redshirt year.

Apsay is not that much skinnier than Jared Goff, if at all. They are both "slightly built" or "wiry".

Adding bulk is not a huge priority for our QBs, and I'd question the thought that it somehow prevents injuries.

It seems as though it's being implied that Apsay isn't trying, doesn't go to the gym, or whatever. Is that the implication here?

This is a non-issue IMO.

Last edited:
It's difficult for some guys to gain weight. In fact, its probably more difficult to gain weight for an Apsay than most people to lose weight. I agree with holic. If we go into his red shirt Sophomore year and nothing has changed, then we can start with the questions, imo.

I don't know if this is the case with Apsay but I've seen some guys go through something similar. They got into a program, boosted calories, the whole nine yards. A few of them actually lost a few pounds before they started gaining. I have no clue as to why but I've seen it happen.

It's difficult for some guys to gain weight. In fact, its probably more difficult to gain weight for an Apsay than most people to lose weight. I agree with holic. If we go into his red shirt Sophomore year and nothing has changed, then we can start with the questions, imo.
Still no reason he can't gain a few pounds. I don't care if he's a hard gainer, dropping 5 pounds isn't acceptable.

Geez Holic, settle down. I was asking a question over something I found weird, not implying anything.

Geez Holic, settle down. I was asking a question over something I found weird, not implying anything.

Wasn't replying to your question. I find it odd too (if true). I'm referring to the reactions it caused such as:

I stand by my reaction and statement.

It's very disappointing to see a player lose weight while redshirting when that player wasn't overweight. Apsay is no closer to being physically able to challenge for QB2 today than he was at fall camp.

I stand by my reaction and statement.

It's very disappointing to see a player lose weight while redshirting when that player wasn't overweight. Apsay is no closer to being physically able to challenge for QB2 today than he was at fall camp.

Where we disagree is how much muscle is needed to be "able to challenge". I've seen plenty of QBs play full seasons with similar frail looking bodies and I don't see any body of evidence to support a QB with 10-15 pounds of extra lean muscle mass is less prone to injury.

The bottom line is it is not acceptable for a guy, who is not overweight, to lose 5 lbs while redshirting. It makes me question his desire to play at this level. Are there guys who have played at his size? Of course, but it's worrying thst he couldn't at least maintain his starting weight.

Where we disagree is how much muscle is needed to be "able to challenge". I've seen plenty of QBs play full seasons with similar frail looking bodies and I don't see any body of evidence to support a QB with 10-15 pounds of extra lean muscle mass is less prone to injury.

concur....

image.jpg

Wow, tough crowd. Questioning desire and physical ability to compete for the #2 QB spot after losing 5 lbs? Maybe he took a huge **** right before getting on the scale.

The bottom line is it is not acceptable for a guy, who is not overweight, to lose 5 lbs while redshirting. It makes me question his desire to play at this level. Are there guys who have played at his size? Of course, but it's worrying thst he couldn't at least maintain his starting weight.
:lol: Maybe he has been sick recently? Making a blanket statement like this is ridiculous, imo.

Wow, tough crowd. Questioning desire and physical ability to compete for the #2 QB spot after losing 5 lbs? Maybe he took a huge **** right before getting on the scale.

Wasn't physically there in August, so I think it's absolutely fair to say that he's not physically there now if he's 5 lbs lighter.

Wasn't physically there in August, so I think it's absolutely fair to say that he's not physically there now if he's 5 lbs lighter.

So Gherke, who is an inch shorter and 5 lbs heavier is physically there?

Instead of making blanket statements based on 5 lbs, that nobody knows anything about, maybe discuss something significantly relevant to playing QB. Has his arm gotten stronger? Has his throwing accuracy gotten better? Has his knowledge of the system improved? Has his decision making gotten better? All 4 of those questions would be better indicators of whether he's ready to compete for the #2 QB spot than why he's 195 lbs vs 190 lbs.

Why don't we just ditch the S&C program since it doesn't seem to matter if players get smaller.

Back