What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CA RB Squally Canada (Verbal to Washington State)

I would say it's too early for him to be a lean, especially after decommitting once already. Let's see what he does with his official visits.

Kind of depends on the interest level of other schools though. It's easier to lean when you're only being pulled one direction.

Woah, his rankings are kinda everywhere. Where would u guys put him, solid 3 star?

Depends. If he signs with CU, I'll think of him as a 4*. If he signs with anyone else, I'll consider him a 2*. :wink2:

"When I committed to Boise, they told me that if I took any visits they would pull my scholarship offer," Canada said. "So I decommitted and I don't plan to take an official visit to Boise, I'm done with them."

Just throwing it out there, Brandon Huffman of Scout has said that this sequence of events is out of order. Canada was talking about taking an official visit and scheduled one, but remained committed to the Broncos. Boise State pulled Canada's scholarship offer. He did not decommit.

He's done with the school because he no longer has an offer and is no longer being recruited, not by his choice.

Just throwing it out there, Brandon Huffman of Scout has said that this sequence of events is out of order. Canada was talking about taking an official visit and scheduled one, but remained committed to the Broncos. Boise State pulled Canada's scholarship offer. He did not decommit.

He's done with the school because he no longer has an offer and is no longer being recruited, not by his choice.

Yea, I wouldn't put any stock at all in his quoted comments. :huh:

It really all means the same thing anyway. He wasn't as committed as they wanted him to be, so they tried to leverage him..... Either way, he dumped them first.

It really all means the same thing anyway. He wasn't as committed as they wanted him to be, so they tried to leverage him..... Either way, he dumped them first.

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1319940.html

It really doesn't make much of a difference, but he is lying when he said he decommitted so he could take an official visit elsewhere. Happened the other way around.

Brandon Huffman stated on one of the Bronco boards that Coach Pete pulled his offer because he was planning on official visit elsewhere. Number one bullet point item listed on our written scholarship offer letters is that if you commit and then go on visits you lose the offer. Heck, earlier in this very thread I said he was going to get the offer pulled and that's exactly what happened. I even pointed to a different 4* player, Marcus Rios, who had the exact same thing happen a couple of years ago and told the truth about it and linked an article showing Rios admitting he tried to recommit and was not allowed to.

Not sure what more evidence I can give that this is what actually happened. I know that most schools don't do this when commits want to take additional visits elsewhere after committing, but Boise State does.

Honestly, that's a freaking stupid policy. Barnett used to do that, too. We lost a few good players because of it. Dumb.

Honestly, that's a freaking stupid policy. Barnett used to do that, too. We lost a few good players because of it. Dumb.

As a policy, it has it's strengths and weaknesses. Yeah, you'll sometimes lose a very talented player or two.

But on the other hand, you don't end up searching the proverbial waiver wire for replacements if someone decommits and goes elsewhere at the last minute right before signing day, and it sends a message to the team - current and future players - that no one player is bigger or more important than the program itself. No prima donnas.

Policy only applies to commits. If a player wants to look around, take his time, go on official visits...totally fine. Up until the point he gives his verbal commitment. At that point, we're guaranteeing a roster spot for him, letting other players know the spot is taken, and may miss out on other players who then commit elsewhere.

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1319940.html

It really doesn't make much of a difference, but he is lying when he said he decommitted so he could take an official visit elsewhere. Happened the other way around.

Brandon Huffman stated on one of the Bronco boards that Coach Pete pulled his offer because he was planning on official visit elsewhere. Number one bullet point item listed on our written scholarship offer letters is that if you commit and then go on visits you lose the offer. Heck, earlier in this very thread I said he was going to get the offer pulled and that's exactly what happened. I even pointed to a different 4* player, Marcus Rios, who had the exact same thing happen a couple of years ago and told the truth about it and linked an article showing Rios admitting he tried to recommit and was not allowed to.

Not sure what more evidence I can give that this is what actually happened. I know that most schools don't do this when commits want to take additional visits elsewhere after committing, but Boise State does.
So, he knew he would lose the Boise offer if he visited elsewhere, yet choose to do so anyway, knowingly losing his offer? Sounds like he made the call to move on, if you ask me. I'm not sure why you're so set on coming here to argue semantics.

Yeah, it sounds to me like he decommitted by taking an official someplace else. That was his notice that he was decommitted.

It doesn't really matter one way or another.

It's still a stupid policy. It's a verbal commitment. The way to handle it is to tell a kid that if he takes other visits, the school will also continue to recruit other players at that position. You don't pull the scholy offer. That's just being a dick, IMO.

Yeah, it sounds to me like he decommitted by taking an official someplace else. That was his notice that he was decommitted.

It's still a stupid policy. It's a verbal commitment. The way to handle it is to tell a kid that if he takes other visits, the school will also continue to recruit other players at that position. You don't pull the scholy offer. That's just being a dick, IMO.
Hmm. I don't know. It could be hard to manage recruiting classes if your verbal commitments could continue marketing themselves. It's also a two way street. Once a kid commits, the school commits to him and focuses on other things like positions, for instance. Would it be stupid if the school said to a QB commitment, "Awesome. But if we find someone better, we are dumping you?"

:nod: Butt ugly field, too. I don't think that can be stated too many times.

I could see how Boise would have an issue with kids taking other visits. They can close a lot of kids on the idea that they are going to be a part of a winning team that is going to go to a bowl every year and the big deal in the state.

Their problem is that I can also see how letting kids take other visits is going to result in a lot of decommits. When they visit other schools they have the opportunity to see that while they are going to win a lot at Boise a big part of that is due to a much lower level of competition, while they are going to a bowl every year if they don't get a BCS level bowl they are going to a bowl nobody cares about. They are also going to a team that is the sports focus in their state but it is a small state and they are going to be a second thought for most of the rest of the country. Their TV games are normally on secondary channels and/or in time and date slots where not many people will be watching. They also will be playing in a full stadium for home games but that stadium has smurf turf and only seats 35k.

Given the chance a lot of their commits can be persuaded to switch given an opportunity by decent major conference schools. Their best bet to keep them is to keep them "locked down."

Think he commits to Oregon State before the season ends.

Unless he gets to Boulder for a visit during the season, you're probably right. Sounds like as it stands now, the coaches are planning to bring him in after the season, but it would probably be too late by then. Not sure where Squally sits on the RB board right now.

Unless he gets to Boulder for a visit during the season, you're probably right. Sounds like as it stands now, the coaches are planning to bring him in after the season, but it would probably be too late by then. Not sure where Squally sits on the RB board right now.

I don't get the feeling the staff is pushing too hard for this one.

Oregon St got a commitment from RB Harris Ross. I just checked and they have no RB's graduating and 18 commits

806 yards and 7 TD's (8.57 ypc)

Back