What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CO ATH Kalen Ballage (Signed to Arizona State)

Exactly. The best way to win recruiting battles is to win games. Coach took a 1 win team and turned it into a 4 win team by finding some diamonds in the rough. Now, this time around, he has gotten in early on some talented kids as well as winning a few recruiting battles and has brought in a very nice influx of talent. He is clearly a talented coach, and if we continue to up the talent with each recruiting class, we will start to see this program rise again. This might not be a year where we see a lot of improvement in the win/loss column, but we aren't getting worse. Give Coach MM time to do his thing, results will come. I know some people like to see immediate results, but given where this program was at, we will have to be a little patient. Good things are coming though, I have no doubt.
You believe that we won three more games because of an upgrade in talent?

You believe that we won three more games because of an upgrade in talent?
No. Try reading it again. I believe we won three more games because we had a competent coach, who also happened to find a couple of diamond in the rough type players. I'm saying that this recruiting class is an upgrade in talent, due in part to the fact that we won three more games.

No. Try reading it again. I believe we won three more games because we had a competent coach, who also happened to find a couple of diamond in the rough type players. I'm saying that this recruiting class is an upgrade in talent, due in part to the fact that we won three more games.
Imagine the upgrade in talent if we were an FCS team that gets to play an FCS schedule.

Imagine the upgrade in talent if we were an FCS team that gets to play an FCS schedule.
Not sure what the intent of saying that is. If you are trying to be a prick (which seems to be your MO), then that was a pretty weak attempt. If not, then the post seems to be pointlessly obvious.

Not sure what the intent of saying that is. If you are trying to be a prick (which seems to be your MO), then that was a pretty weak attempt. If not, then the post seems to be pointlessly obvious.

The guy seems to be only capable of bitching about recruiting. The only thoughts his brain can handle.

If we were Northern Arizona we would kick Weber State's ASS. I agree. Three steps forward and two steps back. Repeat. Patience.

If it makes anyone feel better UCLA was #2 and we may not have even been ahead of Washington either. The last minute waffling was between ASU and UCLA, he didn't even mention us in a post-commitment interview I saw. Point is its not like we "barley" missed out on getting him.

If it makes anyone feel better UCLA was #2 and we may not have even been ahead of Washington either. The last minute waffling was between ASU and UCLA, he didn't even mention us in a post-commitment interview I saw. Point is its not like we "barley" missed out on getting him.

I feel a ton better.

Yes, that is going to make everyone feel better. I'm going to take your "barley" and make some beer.

You have exaggerated competent coaching when comparing 2012 to 2013. The flood and the return of PRich had little to do with Coaching.

It's entirely possible Paul Richardson would have helped beat CSU for Embree in 2012 had he not been injured.

A conservative assessment is that MacIntyre lessened the severity of the beat downs and allowed us to beat Central Arkansas. (Vs loss to Sac State)

The flood allowed CU to get another FCS on the calendar. Fresno was hot and probably beats CU. That victory is on George.

Yes, MacIntyre is a smart coach and is working hard. But he is in a monster sized hole with rock bottom in the rear view mirror.

Let's see how MacIntyre does in 2014 before tying victories to competency.

You have exaggerated competent coaching when comparing 2012 to 2013. The flood and the return of PRich had little to do with Coaching.

It's entirely possible Paul Richardson would have helped beat CSU for Embree in 2012 had he not been injured.

A conservative assessment is that MacIntyre lessened the severity of the beat downs and allowed us to beat Central Arkansas. (Vs loss to Sac State)

The flood allowed CU to get another FCS on the calendar. Fresno was hot and probably beats CU. That victory is on George.

Yes, MacIntyre is a smart coach and is working hard. But he is in a monster sized hole with rock bottom in the rear view mirror.

Rock bottom is correct... when you are looking at victories over FCS teams and whether you call a QB sneak on 1st & 10 as measures of comparison between two coaching staffs.

I have faith though in MacIntyre. We are due for something good to happen to CU football... aren't we?

Don't worry. Everyone will turn on HCMM if there aren't clear signs of improvement next year. As for Ballage, I'm not looking forward to seeing him play for ASU.

Why did you leave out the CSU game and the stomping of Cal?

I'll give you the flood. That's one game. So if you want to take that away, fine, I still stand by the fact that HCMM is competent (I might add that competency is not black and white, as you are making it seem).

Obviously P-Rich helped this team, but did he help as much as losing Ray Polk and David Bakhtiari hurt us? You might say yes, but it's debateable.

Don't worry. Everyone will turn on HCMM if there aren't clear signs of improvement next year. As for Ballage, I'm not looking forward to seeing him play for ASU.

IMHO, MacIntyre can show improvement without necessarily collecting more victories while still keeping in the good graces of the fans. The OOC slate are must wins. Beating ASU (Obligatory Ballage reference) or an other P12 foe is my baseline expectation for victories. Anything more than that is overachieving.

Reducing the margin of defeat against every conference opponent not named Cal would keep me on board. MacIntyre year three is when things get real.

So what about the less penalties, clearly more effort, and other stuff that doesn't show up in a box score/record column?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why did you leave out the CSU game and the stomping of Cal?

Counting victories was what appeared to be your measure of competency, not mine.

Beating CSU should be expected, and not some measurement of competency.

The Cal victory in 2013 and WSU victory in 2012 are a wash. Both Embree and Mac were 1-8 in conference. How they won was different, but in the record book, a win is a win.

I'll give you the flood. That's one game. So if you want to take that away, fine, I still stand by the fact that HCMM is competent (I might add that competency is not black and white, as you are making it seem).

Obviously P-Rich helped this team, but did he help as much as losing Ray Polk and David Bakhtiari hurt us? You might say yes, but it's debateable.

I completely agree that competency isn't black and white, nor should it be measured by MacIntyre's 4 wins. That was exactly my point.

But let's not judge MacIntyre's competency using Embree's QB sneak on 1st down as some sort of measuring stick.

Not sure why you would even want to debate how losing Polk and Bak is comparable to losing the best WR to come through CU in a generation. A better measure of MacIntyre's competency is to see how productive CU's offense will be without PRich.

Counting victories was what appeared to be your measure of competency, not mine.

The Cal victory in 2013 and WSU victory in 2012 are a wash. Both Embree and Mac were 1-8 in conference. How they won was different, but in the record book, a win is a win.

I completely agree that competency isn't black and white, nor should it be measured by MacIntyre's 4 wins. That was exactly my point.

But let's not judge MacIntyre's competency using Embree's QB sneak on 1st down as some sort of measuring stick.

Not sure why you would even want to debate how losing Polk and Bak is comparable to losing the best WR to come through CU in a generation. A better measure of MacIntyre's competency is to see how productive CU's offense will be without PRich.

Beating CSU should be expected, but not only did Embree fail to do it but he lost to a worse CSU team than the one MacIntyre beat.

The win over Cal was a solid whole game victory, not a one point fluke like against Washington State.

Two wins came against FCS teams but again the prior year we lost to an FCS team that was not any better and probably worse than the FCS teams we beat.

We had fewer delay of game penalties all season than it seemed we had in some indivdiual games und Embree, guys got on and off the field and lined up in the right places, plays got called and in to the QB in time. Most importantly to me and this may just be perception but I saw very few times when it looked like our players had given up and were just going through the motions.

Ultimately a team is what the scoreboard says it is. We are still a team with only four wins, two against FCS schools, one against a mediocre MWC school and one against an imploding conference foe. In the end M2 will be judged by improving or failing to improve in the standings, do we start to beat the Utahs, the Zona schools, the Oregon States?

If we can do that then we can start to expect to get the recruits that let us have a decent chance against the UCLAs, the Washingtons, and eventually the top of the conference. Considering where this program was at when JE was fired this isn't going to happen in a short time but we can expect to see steps in the right direction.

I may be an optimist but I think we have real reasons to see improvement in the program under M2. As long as we are moving in the right directing I am willing to give him time to build things right, establish a foundation, and then move us up the standings over time. This may not be as much fun as when I was watching us win 10+ games a year so long ago but it definately beats what we have seen over the past two coaching regeims.

Fair enough. I agree with your main point then. I don't think that wins and losses are the only measuring stick for a coaching staff. But, if that is your argument, then you missed my point. I didn't say that I think the coaching staff is competent because they won 3 more games. I said the team won 3 more games because the coaching staff was competent. I hope you see the difference.

Fair enough. I agree with your main point then. I don't think that wins and losses are the only measuring stick for a coaching staff. But, if that is your argument, then you missed my point. I didn't say that I think the coaching staff is competent because they won 3 more games. I said the team won 3 more games because the coaching staff was competent. I hope you see the difference.

I understand you. The lowest passing grade in the real world is competence. It is said that adequate is the enemy of good, and good is the enemy of great. May MacIntyre aspire to become more than competent.

. MacIntyre year three is when things get real.

JMHO, but I think the hole is too deep to see any appreciable improvement by year three. I don't think a lot of us fans fully comprehend how deep this hole really is, and how much has to happen before we can pull out of it. Hawkins set us back three years. Embree set us back another five. I honestly think we are looking at 2017 or 2018.

Back