What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 TNFR ATH Jaleel Awini (Committed to Colorado)

Hell ya. Count me in. His highlights are sweet. He is super athletic. Was not a refined passer in HS but he may have improved since then. If not, could be a great receiver!

A guy on the Rivals board knows this kid well and believes he is the real deal, at QB. Claims, and uses media quotes to support it, that the kid could be a pro-style QB with major wheels, as opposed to a dual-threat run first guy.

These are quotes he included in his explanation from media sources:
"But Awini offers hope to his tattered football team. First time I watched Awini throwing fastball passes in practice, I could see he walks through his football life as a different kind of Air Force quarterback.He could easily play in a pro-style, pass-happy offense elsewhere."
(http://gazette.com/air-force-qb-awini-a-special-talent/article/1506213#EixEmyZdbEBr8Aci.99

Awini, a sophomore-to-be, could bring a different look to Air Force's backfield. He's 6-2 with a smooth, powerful throwing motion. Calhoun is obsessive about a quarterback's release, believing it is the most important aspect of effective passing.
"The ball comes off his hand clean," Calhoun said with a trace of admiration.
Yes, it does.
And the ball comes off Awini's hand with extreme velocity. He throws fastballs. On Thursday's opening day of spring drills, Air Force receivers often struggled to control Awini's throws.
"He has a cannon of an arm," Pearson said. "The kid has nothing but a cannon."

http://gazette.com/ramsey-falcons-to-have-delicious-qb-quandary/article/151335#WRtf5jTCCcqGsQ3s.99

Maybe - He seemed very inaccurate to me

Me too. But it's not like he had a great offense around him. Protection issues and bad receivers will make a QB look inaccurate sometimes.

Still, I'd be a lot more interested in him as an ATH than as a QB.

Like. So he is a True JR this season with a redshirt available while sitting out?

Like. So he is a True JR this season with a redshirt available while sitting out?

Air Force site says he didn't play at all in 2012(probably a Redshirt year)
http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jaleel_awini_817420.html

2012 (Freshman) - Did not see any action ... was among the top three at quarterback during spring drills.2013 stats:
Passing gp effic comp-att-int pct yds td lg avg/g
AWINI, Jaleel 4 100.24 21-42-1 50.0 275 0 53 68.8

Not many highlights last year. Videos with a rushing TD, INT and 34yd pass.

Last edited:
Sweet. He will be a RS Junior with 2 to play 2 in 2015. The question I have is, can he practice this Spring?

Looks like Jaleel is coming to CU this summer

Adam Munsterteiger
@adamcm777
7m

After two year stop at Air Force Academy, Jaleel Awini is going to make dream of playing for #CUBuffs become reality: http://bit.ly/1bmea7B

He's headed to CU. There's a paid Rivals story here:
http://colorado.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=894&script=/content.asp&cid=1608733

I see him giving us some depth at QB in the spring and if it doesn't work out, as an ATH, where I think he ends up.

Doesn't help the spring QB depth issue. Adam says he's not coming until this summer.

He's headed to CU. There's a paid Rivals story here:
http://colorado.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=894&script=%2Fcontent%2Easp&cid=1608733

I see him giving us some depth at QB in the spring and if it doesn't work out, as an ATH, where I think he ends up.

"CU has always been my dream school since I was a kid. I still have good friends at Air Force but I believe this is kind of like a blessing in disguise for me to be able to get a chance to play at CU for [current head] coach [Mike] MacIntyre."

I would be somewhat interested in him at Safety. Too big at 225 lbs?
I was thinking the same thing, but as Duff mentioned we will need the size at WR. We've gotten some good speed at the WR position, but none of them have tremendous size. We could have a formidable WR core in a few years with size and speed. A lot of moving parts that you can do a lot with. We shall see how everyone progresses, but I like the movement here. I don't see him at QB unless he comes in and just lights it up.

I was thinking the same thing, but as Duff mentioned we will need the size at WR. We've gotten some good speed at the WR position, but none of them have tremendous size. We could have a formidable WR core in a few years with size and speed. A lot of moving parts that you can do a lot with. We shall see how everyone progresses, but I like the movement here. I don't see him at QB unless he comes in and just lights it up.

I saw a couple of his AFA games and I think he is a better QB than people give him credit for. He is not just a glorified RB who threw the ball a few times to back up the defense.

He is a good enough athlete to play a number of positions but don't be in any way shocked if he stays at QB. We are moving away from the point were we are so desperate for athletes that we have to plug people in to empty holes. Having a quality back-up at QB, especially one who adds a different dimension while still being capable of running the offense we have makes us a better team as well.

It may come down to what he wants to do. He will get a pretty good idea of how he fits at QB during the transfer season of practicing. If he sees a situation where he isn't going to be playing a lot at QB he may want to play someplace else where he can get more time on the field.

We need a WR at 200+ in a big way, so he is a good fit there.

Not more than we need defensive athletes. Did you watch any games the last 3yrs? The entire Pac-12 is putting up 40 on us. If he's 225 I don't see why he can't play a hybrid S/LB for us.

Not more than we need defensive athletes. Did you watch any games the last 3yrs? The entire Pac-12 is putting up 40 on us. If he's 225 I don't see why he can't play a hybrid S/LB for us.

So everyone who is 225lbs should be a rover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The defense and offense have needs, so either works for me. Just think he would make more of an impact on offense.

I agree we need a rover.

So everyone who is 225lbs should be a rover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That has speed, agility, and toughness, sure. Don't take the easy way out on presenting an opposing point. What can't he do in regards to a S/LB rover position?

Simply put: football coaches will find positions for guys who are over 6 feet tall, over 200 lbs and can run. HCMM will take as many as he can get and then sort it out.

Back