What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 TNFR OT Shane Callahan (Signed to Colorado)

Hoping for some good news on this. The NY Times has an article on family medical waivers as they pertain to a couple of basketball players.

The N.C.A.A. was not able to provide statistics on appeals specifically for medically related waivers. But the number of relief waiver requests is increasing annually, with 236 considered in the 2012-13 academic calendar, up from 212 the previous year. Slightly more than half were granted each academic year. Brooks indicated that the medical cases were rising in proportion to the overall requests.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/01/s...ole-for-relatives-in-ncaa-transfers.html?_r=0

He has the ability to immediately compete as a starter at LT, a position of desperation for our OL right now. He has already used his RS but even if he hadn´t, if he is available he will play a lot this year.

Spoke to Shane last week. He said he's waiting till he gets to Boulder before he talks on the record ... which as Adam told me means we will not be able to interview him until the spring. Callahan said it would be OK to share that he is definitely headed to CU and will be at camp. He did not say anything about eligibility.

Spoke to Shane last week. He said he's waiting till he gets to Boulder before he talks on the record ... which as Adam told me means we will not be able to interview him until the spring. Callahan said it would be OK to share that he is definitely headed to CU and will be at camp. He did not say anything about eligibility.
Did you mean August/fall practices?

This is what Adam told me: Unfortunately newcomers are off limits for interviews during camp so all the excitement about his arrival will have worn off by the spring.

This is what Adam told me: Unfortunately newcomers are off limits for interviews during camp so all the excitement about his arrival will have worn off by the spring.

I think you'll be able to interview him once games start. Have you guys been able to interview Ahkello Witherspoon?

I'm waiting for NKR to weigh in on this.

Well, that was quick. Anything else you need, Burrito?

I think we will all remain excited if he is playing LT. :thumbsup2: HCMM will control his press time but he is not a freshmen and he may be able to speak to the press during camp.

I think we will all remain excited if he is playing LT. :thumbsup2: HCMM will control his press time but he is not a freshmen and he may be able to speak to the press during camp.
I only care about him speaking to the media, if it's to talk about how well he played the week before.

If he is eligible we go bowling. The OL could be an asset instead of a liability. Nembot (expect big step forward this year), Irwin, Munyer, Crabb and Callahan with Kelley, Wueffels and Mustoe providing depth. That is a pretty good looking OL on paper at least. The trenches are going to determine how well this team does.

If he is eligible we go bowling. The OL could be an asset instead of a liability. Nembot (expect big step forward this year), Irwin, Munyer, Crabb and Callahan with Kelley, Wueffels and Mustoe providing depth. That is a pretty good looking OL on paper at least. The trenches are going to determine how well this team does.

Davis, it would likely go (from left to right): Callahan-Crabb-Kelley-Munyer-Nembot. Irwin would be able to be brought along slowly in his injury recovery and play a lot of snaps as kind of the "swing" OL like Dannewitz did his senior year.

I like the optimism, but we've had reason to be excited about the OL in the past only to be met with disappointment. Wait and see for me.

But if we have a good OL (mid-PAC 12 level performance), then a bowl game becomes more likely IMO.

Oline is about cohesion more than any other position unit in football. You have to be familiar with the man next to you. Even if Callahan is eligible, it will take far more than training camp for the unit to be a strength

Oline is about cohesion more than any other position unit in football. You have to be familiar with the man next to you. Even if Callahan is eligible, it will take far more than training camp for the unit to be a strength

That may be true, but Callahan's talent is heads and shoulders above those who are currently playing LT. So it would be an instant upgrade, no matter the cohesion.

That may be true, but Callahan's talent is heads and shoulders above those who are currently playing LT. So it would be an instant upgrade, no matter the cohesion.

You aren't going to have cohesion with anyone else they have their either. The guy who took virtually ever snap at LT last year in games and practice graduated.

The cohesion question though is a valid one. It may be fair to say that this line is more talented than what we have had in recent history and Calahan would definitely contribute to that but that may not translate into performance on the field until they have some time working together in live action then working off that film.

Good point, Mtn.

They've got a month of practices to find the 5 and then build cohesion. What we need is for this to be settled for the opener by August 15.

Good point, Mtn.

They've got a month of practices to find the 5 and then build cohesion. What we need is for this to be settled for the opener by August 15.

And CSU is changing 4 of their 5. Changes on the OL is part of the nature of college football. At least I am now confident that we have a staff that is competent to manage it.

I did a little research. Immediate eligibility with a hardship waiver has been about 50/50. The actual merits of the request do not appear to be much of a factor, which pretty much lines up with everything else the NCAA does. Given that it's CU, I put the chances at .00000000001%.

i understand and agree to a point that cohesion and continuity is important on an o-line, but true talent; speed, strength, coordination and toughness, can overcome a lack of continuity. If these guys are better than they were or better than their predecessors then it will become obvious quickly.

i understand and agree to a point that cohesion and continuity is important on an o-line, but true talent; speed, strength, coordination and toughness, can overcome a lack of continuity. If these guys are better than they were or better than their predecessors then it will become obvious quickly.

In other words, thinking with one brain with your battery mates is great but it comes after trusting that the guy next to you won't miss his assignment or get put on skates.

Back