What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'18 CA OT Kanan Ray (SIGNED to COLORADO)

If we were the school he liked back in HS, why didn’t we get his commitment then? Not that I’m complaining. Just wondering how you miss on a 4 star that has you at the top of his list.
Sounds like we were a close #2 out of high school. But it’s nice that he immediately thought of Colorado and wanted to come be a part of this. Obviously we don’t want to be 2nd choice but it’s good that the coaches are leaving a lasting impression with recruits.

I see nothing in that article that says that. In buffzone article I read, he said he never seriously considered Colorado out of HS and was more focused on UCLA, Tennessee and Oregon.

Coming out of high school a year ago, Kanan Ray never seriously considered Colorado as an option for his college football career.
"Not really to be honest," said Ray, a 6-foot-4, 280-pound offensive lineman. "In high school, it was UCLA, Tennessee, Oregon."

Reactions: DBT
I see nothing in that article that says that. In buffzone article I read, he said he never seriously considered Colorado out of HS and was more focused on UCLA, Tennessee and Oregon.

Hmm. Stark contrast to this quote.

“I could tell I really wasn’t in his plans so once I got my release, I talked to my old high school coach and asked if he could contact Colorado for me. That was a school I always liked back in high school and I thought it would be a great fit for me. I didn’t contact any other schools, I made up my mind that if Colorado wanted me, I was going to sign on the visit and that’s what happened.”

Hmm. Stark contrast to this quote.

“I could tell I really wasn’t in his plans so once I got my release, I talked to my old high school coach and asked if he could contact Colorado for me. That was a school I always liked back in high school and I thought it would be a great fit for me. I didn’t contact any other schools, I made up my mind that if Colorado wanted me, I was going to sign on the visit and that’s what happened.”

You do realize that this quote is from this week, not when he picked UCLA last recruiting season (Jan/Feb)?

You do realize that this quote is from this week, not when he picked UCLA last recruiting season (Jan/Feb)?

Yeah, I’m fully aware. I didn’t read the buff stampede article until you posted the link earlier. But to say, “I never considered colorado” and then tell someone else, “I always liked colorado out of high school” are two very different quotes. Especially when he says he “has a good relationship with coach Adams.” Either way, if he considered us or not, he’s here now and that’s a win.

So, if Rivals included Ray, to 37 and a 3.05 average. I was just curious.

Do gray shirts count in the previous year? If so does that change that years ranking?
I have no clue. It’s kind of interesting following these ranking sites with the new dynamic of the early signing period. Previously, with the February signing period, I think that after signing day, sites like Rivals moved on to the next cycle and didn’t adjust rankings for, for instance, a late signing.

Last edited:
I know it really isn’t that big a deal, but it bugs me that Rivals hasn’t added him to our commitment list. I’m easily bugged.

Sort of a bump but why is he not listed on Rivals? Does he not count toward this class? I noticed Tchangam is listed.

Sort of a bump but why is he not listed on Rivals? Does he not count toward this class? I noticed Tchangam is listed.
Rivals can be bad about that with greyshirt signings. iirc, they never really got Addison Gillam into a CU class but they did with Lee Walker.

That’s why Rivals rankings don’t mean much about CU players. They don’t do the work. They shortcut it and give low rankings if they haven’t followed the kid. You guys could give a better ranking for them. Well most of you.

fwiw, I know that Rivals doesn’t do much with CO recruiting or CU guys. Adam had to pick his spots to lobby when a guy was blatant underrated. Hopefully the current crew is doing it.

fwiw, I know that Rivals doesn’t do much with CO recruiting or CU guys. Adam had to pick his spots to lobby when a guy was blatant underrated. Hopefully the current crew is doing it.
Don’t get me started about recruiting sites. I think, for certain schools, they are a quasi recruiting arm for those programs. They have “reporters” who are shills for the program who can get to recruits under the guise of being members of the press. Basically, boosters disguised as media so they can have access to recruits. Okay, you got me started.

Last edited:

Has family in Parker apparently. Need more of those fans out here to tone down the stupid husker fans.

Sounds like he is healthy and wouldn't be surprised if he is a day one starter on the inside.

Picked this up from this week's update on UCLA in the LA daily news, that I thought was interesting and didn't know where to put it. Talk about offensive line recruiting, UCLA signed 5 OL in 2017 and zero guys are left on roster:

UCLA got even thinner at offensive line this week as Zach Sweeney was forced to medically retire over the weekend due to a shoulder injury, Kelly confirmed Tuesday. With the redshirt freshman’s retirement, the Bruins have lost all five of their scholarship offensive line signees from the 2017 recruiting class.

In what was former head coach Jim Mora’s final recruiting class, the Bruins signed two four-star offensive linemen and three three-star prospects at the position. Kanan Ray, a former U.S. Army All-American from Sierra Canyon, grayshirted what would have been his true freshman year while recovering from a high-school injury, and then transferred to Colorado in January when the new coaching staff arrived. Stephan Zabié, a four-star prospect from Texas, and Sean Seawards, a three-star recruit, had left the team by the time UCLA opened spring practices. Jax Wacaser retired at the end of spring practice due to concussions.

On the depth chart, he is listed as out for now with a knee injury. Have there been any other updates about his progress? He hasn’t been listed as out for the season, but only on injury list on depth chart.

On the depth chart, he is listed as out for now with a knee injury. Have there been any other updates about his progress? He hasn’t been listed as out for the season, but only on injury list on depth chart.
No updates since fall camp but Mac did say later in the season so I would think he is a prime candidate to get some snaps in a bowl game.

Back