What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 Colorado @ WSU Game Thread

Long time stalker, first time intruder. I will get you a beer and sandwich later.

Any impact on RPI since this game was technically at a neutral site?

Long time stalker, first time intruder. I will get you a beer and sandwich later.

Any impact on RPI since this game was technically at a neutral site?

small, we started the day at 8 and finished at 8 after the win. Our SOS went from #4 in the country to #5.

I saw them play OkSt here in Vegas and was sitting three rows behind the CU bench. There were numerous times in that game that players were looking at Boyle with a look or expression that said "Shut the f^ck up and leave me alone". A few times they argued with him quite loudly. I thought it was kind of odd they'd do that and get away with it. They didn't seem to have a lot of respect for him and I found that hard to believe. Has anyone seen that in the games you've been to? I don't know, maybe it was because they were losing and that doesn't happen to often.

Haven't seen them in person, but I find it hard to believe they don't respect Tad. However, I can see (on TV) Spencer being indifferent to Tad at times. In some game this season (I don't specifically remember), Coach P snapped his fingers at Spencer during a timeout, trying to get him to pay attention to what Tad was saying in the huddle. I'm guessing Spencer turns it on as the season progresses, but he seems to need some external motivation (CSU dickheads, etc.) to pull the effort out of him. Ski and Tad seem to have a tight relationship, although Ski may sometimes frustrate the **** out of Boyle, Tad seems to have grown to love the kid. Scott seems like an absolute trooper who would do whatever any coach told him to, let alone Boyle.

For those that don't read Mark Titus, you missed out on his opening to his weekly power ranking yesterday that is perfectly timed with last night's game.

The first week of 2014 served as a good reminder that college basketball players are amateurs. By that I mean we shouldn't expect rational outcomes from games played by athletes with varying levels of maturity, raw talent, refined talent, and game experience. Usually, if I see that Kansas is playing San Diego State at home, I think that even though the Aztecs have a good team, Kansas has two top-five picks and hasn't lost a home nonconference game since the invention of the iPhone, so I assume the Jayhawks will win comfortably. It's easy to forget that even the best teams are made up of young men, which means there's no telling what's going on in their heads. Maybe a key player just got dumped by his girlfriend. Maybe he saw Anchorman 2 over Christmas break and can't get over how bad it was. Maybe a star player is — ha-ha — taking a really tough class and — ha-ha-ha — pours so much effort into his studies that — HA-HA-HA-HA-HA — he loses his edge on the court.

Sure, outside factors bleed onto the court/field in every sport, but this is especially the case in college basketball, where the NBA's one-and-done rule means that the most talented players on many of the best teams are 18- and 19-year-olds. Chaos inevitably ensues. In the last four days alone, five unranked teams upset ranked teams and two undefeated teams lost. That doesn't even include Kansas's nonconference home streak ending or Syracuse and Arizona squeaking by bad Miami and Washington teams at home. If that happens in any other sport, it's THE CRAZIEST WEEK EVER. In college basketball, it's just another week.

Of course, "young players have trouble remaining focused" explains how some teams can slip from time to time. What it can't explain is whatever the hell is happening to North Carolina.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...aa-power-rankings-all-hail-ugly-glory-msu-osu

One other thing to point out here is that there were ~3300 people in that arena. Come march, we will probably be seeded higher than whatever team we play in the first round (and the one after that, pending a victory). Those arenas will NOT be empty, and as soon as a team that's a huge underdog starts to pull it close or take the lead against a higher seed NCAA tourney team, the gym totally turns against the higher seed and starts to roar whenever the low seed does anything. Sure we'll have some fans there to cheer them on, but it could be tough sledding if they come out flat.

A couple Buffs related questions in the College Hoops Live Chat:

John - Nashville, TN
While they struggled last night @ Wash. St., Colorado is quietly moving up the rankings and currently sit #15. Can they keep it up? Will they present a serious challenge to Arizona? And can you comment on the job Tad Boyle has done in turning around the program. As a longtime buff fan, its remarkable what he has done now in his 4th season in Boulder.

Eric
What are your thoughts on Colorado as the Pac-12 season progresses? I'm concerned with their inability to consistently score and play well on the road. Lastly, what is their tourney ceiling (Sweet 16)?

Andy Katz
Amazing. Colorado was irrelevant in the Big 8/12 save the brief Billups years. Boulder has now become one of the best stops on the West Coast. Boyle can now lose a player early to the draft and still be an NCAA team (it will happen again with Dinwiddie). That's remarkable.

Andy Katz
I could easily see Sweet 16 for the Buffs.

Why the hell was this game played in that dump of an arena anyway?

It was like playing in the Amityville Horror House. Spirits guiding dozens of miraculous Wazoo buzzer beaters, mysterious slippery floors, vast regions of empty bleachers, questionable cameras, the mayor got turned into a zombie etc. I hope we don't go back.

Whole lot of conclusions based off of one game for one player...wow

If you used critical thinking skills, you would recognize the conclusions - which are actually more like questions posed - are based on more than one game...wow

Some people seem to think this team is a Final Four team.

Fact of the matter is it could be. A lot has to fall our way match-up wise for that to happen, but I don't think it is crazy to hope for a Final Four. We're the 15th ranked team in the country. Granted, we could be ranked lower or higher as the season progresses, but a LOT of teams outside the top-15 in the country have made a Final Four run in recent years.

Fact of the matter is it could be. A lot has to fall our way match-up wise for that to happen, but I don't think it is crazy to hope for a Final Four. We're the 15th ranked team in the country. Granted, we could be ranked lower or higher as the season progresses, but a LOT of teams outside the top-15 in the country have made a Final Four run in recent years.
And we're #6 RPI. I don't think this is the year, but hope I'm wrong. We should be returning all 5 starters next year, so I wouldn't be surprised if we made the Final Four then.

Basketball is a game of runs. Back when we had Burks, Higgins, Relphorde, and Knutson, we were good at answering when opposing teams went on scoring runs. The last couple years, our team has struggled on the road because we give up a couple 3s and shrink away. This year, we've answered every time the game has had a chance of slipping away from us, even in our losses. I've been incredibly impressed with the team this year. We will be tournament ready no question.

And we're #6 RPI. I don't think this is the year, but hope I'm wrong. We should be returning all 5 starters next year, so I wouldn't be surprised if we made the Final Four then.

where do you see us #6? We were #8 this morning and have moved up to #7

Who do you think is leaving? I'm not sure any player is having a draft-worthy season, but I don't know a lot about this topic.

Draft stock in the NBA is rated a little differently than in other leagues like say the NFL. You do not come across PG's who are 6'6" and can defend like Spencer can very often. His size is a match-up nightmare. He needs to recover from this past game, but he is opening eyes that were shut with his play so far.

Draft stock in the NBA is rated a little differently than in other leagues like say the NFL. You do not come across PG's who are 6'6" and can defend like Spencer can very often. His size is a match-up nightmare. He needs to recover from this past game, but he is opening eyes that were shut with his play so far.
Thanks. Will be interesting to see how this works out.

Back