What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Coaching Carousel

Didn't they fire Groh like a year or two after being ACC Coach of the Year?

It's amazing how quickly mediocrity becomes acceptable.

Yup. Fired 2 seasons after being ACC coach of the year. 9 seasons, 5 bowl games, winning overall record, 2x ACC COY. Wasn't great but sure beats a guy who is 23-37 (11-28 ACC).

sticking with the ACC theme, I offer Frank Beamer's position at VT for discussion.

my favorite part are Bobby Bowden's quotes:
His situation kind of reminds me of what mine looked like in my last years

There’s no loyalty at the end, .. It’s strictly winning.

DiNardo also had some good comments
It’s one of the most difficult situations when you have these hugely successful coaches who’ve been at one place a long time, ... The reality of it is the longer you wait to address it, history tells us the worse it gets.

well, maybe FB himself had my favorite:
I’m very sensitive to staying around too long

The loyalty/PR issue is tough: you have a coach who is no longer able to field competitive teams, who is getting out-recruited by an in-state rival, but who is much loved by the fans and media. Is the 'goodness' that comes from a demonstration of loyalty for past performance sufficiently justifiable to allow the program to further sink into irrelevance? I mean, sh*t, a few more seasons like this and we'll be playing football on Fridays. oh, wait...

Who do they replace him with? Thats nowhere near as attractive a job as it was when NU was playing games in Texas consistently...

I really believe Nebraska's new standard is 9-3. Things are different than they were 20 years ago. I don't think too many coaches would be able to do better there than Bo is doing now, and Bo's biggest problem is delivering soundbites that piss off the fans while they are having 3 and 4 loss seasons.

I simply do not think they are a team that, despite their gaudy number of Orange Bowl apperances, is going to attract the top of their list for head coaching candidates. Not in today's age of college football. They may have to look for the guy who gives them hometown consideration. Depends on what their boosters value, too.

Where Nebraska is and where they think they are could be two very different things.

Bo also hasn't helped himself by a number of obvious PR gaffs that have kept him from being one of "Big Red community." If you will remember he almost challenged them to fire him a couple years ago. His brother was caught messing with the wife of a big booster. He has also made some other public and not intended for public comments that weren't taken favorably by the polyester red crowd. If they have a bad showing against Iowa the local real estate agents can go pick up their yard signs at the Pelini residence on Sunday morning.

The Husker administrators are sitting there in the middle of corn worshiping central. Everything they hear on the media, from the fans, the boosters is all about how kNU is a football superpower and should be contending for NC games every year.

They wouldn't be the first team to fire a coach only to find that the interest level in their job isn't what they expected it to to be. Even then no matter who they hired they would somehow convince themselves that he was the guy all along and they are on their way back to their rightful place at the top of the standings.

Talking about Sparkles both OSU and kNU are schools that have a history of hiring guys who weren't already successful at top level school, they are also schools that wouldn't blink at the cost of the buyout.

Last edited:
If Nebraska did fire Pelini, I would think it would have to be because the window is open to hire Scott Frost. That window won't stay open for long. Frost has done a great job at Oregon and is in line for a big job.

sticking with the ACC theme, I offer Frank Beamer's position at VT for discussion.

my favorite part are Bobby Bowden's quotes:

DiNardo also had some good comments

well, maybe FB himself had my favorite:

The loyalty/PR issue is tough: you have a coach who is no longer able to field competitive teams, who is getting out-recruited by an in-state rival, but who is much loved by the fans and media. Is the 'goodness' that comes from a demonstration of loyalty for past performance sufficiently justifiable to allow the program to further sink into irrelevance? I mean, sh*t, a few more seasons like this and we'll be playing football on Fridays. oh, wait...

If Beamer is going to be gone in the next year or 2 he will have to step down himself. I've heard that he wants to stick around for the Bristol game which isn't until 2016, but at least his upcoming recruiting class is stacking up well which should help buy him some time. I've also heard there are some questions about his health, is there anything to that?

Also... why isn't there more noise out there about how Iowa needs to fire Kirk Ferentz? They could get those results at less than half the salary.

Also... why isn't there more noise out there about how Iowa needs to fire Kirk Ferentz? They could get those results at less than half the salary.

Crazy how fast his stock has dropped. Always thought he was a great coach but shows you how much I know.

There was a few years ago but Ferentz had like a $20 million buyout. His contract was rock solid due to NFL speculation. Either it still is or Iowa has accepted their fate as a Ferentz one.

If this comes to fruition, it's a weird move. Not quite Malzahn to Arkansas State, but Morris should or would have a P5 offer or two to choose from.

[tweet]538177372529254401[/tweet]

If this comes to fruition, it's a weird move. Not quite Malzahn to Arkansas State, but Morris should or would have a P5 offer or two to choose from.

[tweet]538177372529254401[/tweet]

Wow. That is a good hire, IMO.

So ... My dynasty building move of the year for CU. Go after Jim Harbaugh when San Fran fires him. Just saying ... We need a master move to get out of the death spiral, and there it is.

So ... My dynasty building move of the year for CU. Go after Jim Harbaugh when San Fran fires him. Just saying ... We need a master move to get out of the death spiral, and there it is.

If we're going down this path...

After the 2015 season, if the Buffs are in the market, there is good reason to believe that Les Miles will be willing to listen to tickets out of Baton Rouge.

One to keep an eye on is Kevin Sumlin. Recruiting is great, but results are mediocre. I hadn't thought about him being in jeopardy, but then read a comment that opened my eyes: "If you can't win a conference title when Johnny Manziel is your QB, it's never going to happen for you."

One to keep an eye on is Kevin Sumlin. Recruiting is great, but results are mediocre. I hadn't thought about him being in jeopardy, but then read a comment that opened my eyes: "If you can't win a conference title when Johnny Manziel is your QB, it's never going to happen for you."

That defense he had that year is probably a hair better than ours today.

The Chad Morris deal will be make or break for his career in college. Obviously Clemson didn't get as hot as they were hoping to which I think made a non-power a more realistic option for his first head coaching job. It's going to be tough to make SMU relevant again, so it will matter who this former high school coach can lure to the program as assistants who can recruit and gameplan.

The Chad Morris deal will be make or break for his career in college. Obviously Clemson didn't get as hot as they were hoping to which I think made a non-power a more realistic option for his first head coaching job. It's going to be tough to make SMU relevant again, so it will matter who this former high school coach can lure to the program as assistants who can recruit and gameplan.

I know of a perfect special teams coordinator for him...

In his favor money won't be an issue. SMU has some boosters who badly want them back in the limelight and are willing to pay for it. If he can bring SMU back from where they are right now to respectability he will have his choice of jobs.

Pelini going to keep his job after all? Meanwhile Ferentz should be fired for pissing this game away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a few notable exceptions the B1G just doesn't have the skill postion players anymore. They have linemen and do well in the trenches but looking at these receivers, backs, DBs, returners I wonder how many of them would even play for the better teams in the PAC or SEC or the B12. They look a step slow, don't have the superior athleticism that you see in other conferences.

As stated there are some notable exceptions but overall would either of these teams be in a game at this point against a comparable record team from those other conferences?

Now we need Iowa to stop the fuskers for the meltdown to go to the next level in Stikoln and among the polyester red hordes

Fired his DC today.

Now we need Iowa to stop the fuskers for the meltdown to go to the next level in Stikoln and among the polyester red hordes
Fusker win was their worst nightmare. If they win the also-ran bowl, no way they fire Bobo for winning 10 games. It's more fun watching them stew than the optimism of getting a new coach.

Back