What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Coaching Carousel

Let's talk Tulsa. Heard a couple ASU assistants (Mike Norvell, Keith Patterson) for that gig.

The last time Houston Nutt left a school on his own terms it was Boise. I can see him returning to a non-power and having a respectable 8-10 years before retiring if he chose to. He's 57, which is actually younger than I figured he was. Maybe he gets hungry for a bigger job if he has a good run there but he was never Spurrier status in the SEC so I see him being seen as too old to get back on that level as a head coach.

Tulsa of course may choose to go with a younger assistant and I think Norvell fits the bill. OU fans aren't as enamored with Josh Heupel the coach as they were with Josh the quarterback but being in-state I think he'd be near the top of their assistant want list to have a young man lead the program back to some degree of relevance.

Let's talk Tulsa. Heard a couple ASU assistants (Mike Norvell, Keith Patterson) for that gig.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if ASU lost a top assistant, especially if he is one of their hot recruiters.

Terry Frei doesn't know what he's talking about as far as the Josh talk-Foley is one of the best ADs in the country.......and he can't wait for a guy who could be coaching in the NFL into February. I still believe this gig will go to Sparkles.....can't understand why they won't talk to Dan Mullen though.

Terry Frei doesn't know what he's talking about as far as the Josh talk-Foley is one of the best ADs in the country.......and he can't wait for a guy who could be coaching in the NFL into February. I still believe this gig will go to Sparkles.....can't understand why they won't talk to Dan Mullen though.

Supposedly Mullen and Foley did not work and play well together when Mullen was at UF under Suburban Meyer.

Quietly inconspicuous is the unreal job that Troy Calhoun did at Air Force this year going from a 2-10 record in 2013 to a 10-2. I think he likes the mindset of the players at the academy and will stay there for a long time.

I listened to his post game radio interview after they beat CSU - guy was raving about the team, said it was his favorite, most satisfying team he'd coached. Very genuine. He fits well there and is an excellent coach.
If I could do something I genuinely loved, knowing my superiors had my back in an off year, I would do it until the end at $850k/year. Something to be said for that on both sides with the right leaders involved at a Service Academy.

Calhoun played at AF, knows the culture in and out, and is cut from the same cloth as Fisher DeBerry. He's successful at his alma mater too . I don't see him leaving but anything is possible.

Calhoun played at AF, knows the culture in and out, and is cut from the same cloth as Fisher DeBerry. He's successful at his alma mater too . I don't see him leaving but anything is possible.

I get the impression that it would take something very special to get him to leave, and that something special isn't about the $$$. At AFA he gets to work with a unique group of athletes. They are very bright, highly focused, and highly competitive. He doesn't have to deal with prima donas and it is more important to turn our officers than draft choices.

Ultimately for Calhoun if he wins the COC trophy it is a good year. Anything else is gravy but he is getting his share of wins.

Imagine a light brown piece of soft dog crap floating on a fetid green pond of sludge. I give you Josh McDaniels. Hire away. Lightweight doofus. Overpaid homunculus. An OK OC, but not an HC. Would possibly be a good recruiter because he's so full of ****, but things would fall apart rapidly after the kickoff. Take the college team you hate the most and pray they they hire Josh Mc. Holy ****ing ****.

Paul Rhoads safe at ISU.

Hugh Freeze has a new deal at Ole Miss, so it may be either Josh McDaniels or Sparkles at UF. If it were me, I'd pick Sparkles. Actually, if it were me, Rich Rod would already be in Gainesville.

Florida is one of the few teams in the SEC that I can tolerate. I'd really hate to see them hire McDoosh. That's the kind of hire that will kill an AD's career.

Michigan has reached out to some and surprisingly, they have not been well received. Supposedly Jim Harbaugh and Butch Jones, although part of discussions, are not going to be candidates. that seems surprising. Hoke is all but gone...

Les Miles is in play, but some are worried he will diss UM and stay at LSU.

Last edited:
Michigan has reached out to some and surprisingly, they have not been well received. Supposedly Jim Harbaugh and Butch Jones, although part of discussions, are not going to be candidates. that seems surprising. Hoke is all but gone...

Les Miles is in play, but some are worried he will diss UM and stay at LSU.

One thing I've learned is that much like Todd Graham, Jim Harbaugh and Butch Jones will always be candidates until someone else has signed the contract.

One thing I've learned is that much like Todd Graham, Jim Harbaugh and Butch Jones will always be candidates until someone else has signed the contract.

I think this post reads more accurately without the word "else".

A jet is enroute from Gainesville to Fort Collins right now...The Lambs may be looking for a new coach very soon...

A jet is enroute from Gainesville to Fort Collins right now...The Lambs may be looking for a new coach very soon...

UF coaching search may include buyout issue
By Garry Smits Mon, Dec 1, 2014 @ 10:15 pm

The University of Florida coaching search may come down to how much the University Athletic Association is willing to pay, combined with a possible buyout tab — and with former coach Will Muschamp’s $6.3 million severance still due.

It’s a given Foley will have to offer more than the $3 million annually that Muschamp made but since there is no obvious big fish in the pool —such as an Urban Meyer — it probably will be considerably south of the top salary in college coaching, Alabama’s Nick Saban’s package that can reach as high as $6.9 million.

According to flightaware.com, a web site that tracks commercial and private flights, the UAA plane flew to Destin on Sunday night. Freeze and McElwain are both represented by agent Jimmy Sexton, who has a vacation home in Destin and is from Fort Walton Beach.

McElwain, whose team went 10-2 in his fourth season in Fort Collins, is a native of the Far West (Montana) but was Nick Saban’s offensive coordinator at Alabama from 2008-2011, a time period in which the Tide won two national championships.

His situation is more problematic. His salary at CSU is $1.5 million per year but his buyout is $7.5 million. That means if Florida hires McElwain and picks up his buyout, and Muschamp doesn’t get hired elsewhere, the UAA is on the hook for nearly $14 million.

Buyouts have been negotiated downward by schools in the past and one plum the Gators can throw at Colorado State is a paycheck game or two in Gainesville.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/coll...y/uf-coaching-search-may-include-buyout-issue

I wonder if UF is waiting on something to happen with Muschamp. I have heard there is a interest from both parties in bringing him on as the DC at Auburn, and I have also heard that some other high profile programs (South Carolina, FSU, A&M) may want him in the same capacity. if a bidding war gets his salary up into the 7 figure range, the buyout for Sparkles may be more palatable to UF as they'll have less committed to Muschamp.

:lol: I suspect that the UF AD is leaking this to mitigate any bad press from Ole Miss beating them out on an HC, but I bet Freeze and his agent are glad they waited until the ink was dry on the new contract.

Back