What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Coaching Carousel

It takes balls to hire a DIII coach at a D1 school. It worked for Wisconsin basketball as Bo Ryan won three titles at another WI system school (Wisconsin-Platteville.) He did have a short stint at Wisconsin-Milwaukee in between, though.

That would shock me, but hope it happens!
Sent from my Windows Phone

Gator fans probably think they should be picking from Saban, Miles, and a couple NFL guys.

They should remember that their best coach in any of their memories came from Utah when they were in the MWC, and he hadn't recently been a coordinator in the SEC.

Not saying that Sparkles is anything like Urban but a little perspective.

Spurrier won more games at a higher percentage while rebuilding and takes exception to your comment.

If that guy is so great how come tOSU isn't more creamy?

Spurrier won more games at a higher percentage while rebuilding and takes exception to your comment.

If that guy is so great how come tOSU isn't more creamy?

Urban won two of their three national championships, if that is what they aspire to.

UF update. Hugh Freeze has offer in hand, Ole Miss scrambling to match and keep him. Sparkles has had conversations with UF and is a "leading candidate" per Pat Forde. I have my doubts Freeze will leave Ole Miss if they match or come close...he is a local boy made good there. Word is Foley wants to move on this soon, so it could be an interesting week.

Great year to find a DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Urban won two of their three national championships, if that is what they aspire to.

They didn't aspire to that until Spurrier showed them the way. They were not a very good football program for most of the years before Spurrier and I believe he accepted the job while they were on back to back NCAA sanctions.

They didn't aspire to that until Spurrier showed them the way. They were not a very good football program for most of the years before Spurrier and I believe he accepted the job while they were on back to back NCAA sanctions.

Spurrier did great things with them.

Point is that they should know better than to look down their noses at a MWC coach. They would ttakke that level of success again, in an instant.

Spurrier did great things with them.

Point is that they should know better than to look down their noses at a MWC coach. They would ttakke that level of success again, in an instant.

Sure they would.

Urban Meyer went 10-2 and 12-0 at Utah. He showed he could recruit and that he could coach. He was a hot commodity because they destroyed most of the teams they played that 2nd year. At that time Boise State was not in the conference and their really was no peer. Meyer also did not have $7.5m buyout.

Is McElwain that good of a coach, really? I haven't watched enough of their games to know. Rams seem to complain a lot when he's lost, and the level of competition was pretty low this year. The only >.500 teams he beat this year were BC and USU. Granted they were losing a lot before he came. Did he recruit Grayson?

Gator fans probably think they should be picking from Saban, Miles, and a couple NFL guys.

They should remember that their best coach in any of their memories came from Utah when they were in the MWC, and he hadn't recently been a coordinator in the SEC.

Not saying that Sparkles is anything like Urban but a little perspective.

Sure they would.

Urban Meyer went 10-2 and 12-0 at Utah. He showed he could recruit and that he could coach. He was a hot commodity because they destroyed most of the teams they played that 2nd year. At that time Boise State was not in the conference and their really was no peer. Meyer also did not have $7.5m buyout.

Please note the bolded from the original post. Urban had taken Utah to some BCS level wins.

The point is that for UF fans to look down their noses at a guy from the MWC is not logical considering their own history. The normal path for hiring quality coaches is to either take a guy who is successful in a lower level conference or a guy who is a coordinator at a top program, Sparkles has both on his recent resume.

The other path is to hire away a coach from another high level program but as much as they might disagree, Florida is not in a great position to do that.

Meyer didn't have the $7.5 million buyout but at that time revenue streams were much smaller. UF's media revenue stream was a fraction of what it is now. Big $$$ are a new reality.

Quietly inconspicuous is the unreal job that Troy Calhoun did at Air Force this year going from a 2-10 record in 2013 to a 10-2. I think he likes the mindset of the players at the academy and will stay there for a long time.

Is McElwain that good of a coach, really? I haven't watched enough of their games to know. Rams seem to complain a lot when he's lost, and the level of competition was pretty low this year. The only >.500 teams he beat this year were BC and USU. Granted they were losing a lot before he came. Did he recruit Grayson?

McElwain hasn't done as much as, say, Urban Meyer, in his two years at CSU. I think the P5 schools are all going to pass on him in this round of hirings to wait and see what he does in the next year. Especially after losing to BSU and to a lesser degree losing to AF. He needs to pull off the undefeated season to really move fast like Meyer did. I also think he has to absolutely kill it on the recruiting trail along the way for his name to rise to the point where some school is willing to pony up $7.5mm (or some fraction thereof for the naysayers).

He is. Great remains to be seen, but the guy can coach. He lost his best offensive player in the offseason in Bibbs and then won 10 games, running an offense a completely different way. Grayson was not recruited by him, but McElwain had to convince him to say because he and Fairchild had issues.

McElwain hasn't done as much as, say, Urban Meyer, in his two years at CSU. I think the P5 schools are all going to pass on him in this round of hirings to wait and see what he does in the next year. Especially after losing to BSU and to a lesser degree losing to AF. He needs to pull off the undefeated season to really move fast like Meyer did. I also think he has to absolutely kill it on the recruiting trail along the way for his name to rise to the point where some school is willing to pony up $7.5mm (or some fraction thereof for the naysayers).

Lots of smoke around him right now. These things tend to become self-fulfilling. Even if Florida doesn't take him somebody else does just so they can get him before a different school does.

This is a year that a number of schools have openings who have the money to hire who they want to get.

Quietly inconspicuous is the unreal job that Troy Calhoun did at Air Force this year going from a 2-10 record in 2013 to a 10-2. I think he likes the mindset of the players at the academy and will stay there for a long time.

I listened to his post game radio interview after they beat CSU - guy was raving about the team, said it was his favorite, most satisfying team he'd coached. Very genuine. He fits well there and is an excellent coach.

Muschamp rumored for South Carolina, Auburn, or aTm. Likely in that order too

Big Money Ag friend of mine says that if Muschamp goes somewhere besides A&M it won't be due to money. They are pretty much giving him a blank check. Doesn't mean he'll end up there but the Brinks truck is loaded.

I listened to his post game radio interview after they beat CSU - guy was raving about the team, said it was his favorite, most satisfying team he'd coached. Very genuine. He fits well there and is an excellent coach.
yea and yes. To think we were thinking about bringing him to CU? He fits the culture, well liked and a good coach to boot, he is intrenched. would not of had the same turnaround if he would of came here, especially that quickly.

Back