What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Colorado Spring Game Info & Roll call

Jay MacIntyre may not have caught a pass in the actual scrimmage, but he was all over the place in the 1v1 passing drills. Made a couple really nice plays during that session. As far as the scrimmage goes, he was on Sefo's team and they might have thrown the ball 4 total times.

Which was my point, not that Jay sucked. The scrimmage didn't show fans anything. For those watching just the game it just was a non-event.

Which was my point, not that Jay sucked. The scrimmage didn't show fans anything. For those watching just the game it just was a non-event.

If seen this sentiment in a lot of places. It leads me to ask, should there even be a spring game if this is how they're going to run it?

Jay MacIntyre may not have caught a pass in the actual scrimmage, but he was all over the place in the 1v1 passing drills. Made a couple really nice plays during that session. As far as the scrimmage goes, he was on Sefo's team and they might have thrown the ball 4 total times.

Haha. I saw him a couple times and it was noteworthy. He's quick. If a team gets caught with a LB on him, they're giving up a play.

Looks like our defense is going to be mostly of the 4-2-5 variety, which I like a lot.

What I saw a lot of was a nickel look from the 3-4 which ends up being more like a 2-4-5 with two edge-rushing, standing, linebackers. Very similar to what the 49ers like to run. Just splitting hairs.

Watanabe looks ... well... fat.

No definition whatsoever and quite pudgy. Not only that but he is tiny. He is very short and looks like our RBs height wise, which is bad news comparing him to Lindsay and Evans. He looks like a young HS FB in person.

What happened Sunday was no surprise.

M2 has shut down the information all spring. Practices closed, no real reports or news on who is doing well, who isn't, not even much information on injuries. Certainly no information on potential changes to schemes or sets.

This scrimmage was a continuation of that same thing, not only was it vanilla, it was artificial vanilla. It looked almost as if they deliberately planned things not to allow any real sense of what was happening get out.

The result was that we ended up seeing a lot of 1's vs walk-ons who aren't going to play and who bear little resemblance to real competition running nothing more complicated than a pop Warner team would run.

The end result is far less than satisfying to fans. We know that Lindsay is thicker than he was last year and looks healthy, we know that Diego doesn't look like the answer at kicker, we know that Miller looked pretty good at tackle for a guy who hasn't played much football for a couple years and is still trying to develop size. We know that Gehrke is still Gehrke and Sefo better stay healthy. We know that LB is still a huge question mark.

Certainly not what we wanted to see as fans but not a shock considering the way they have handled spring practices this year.

I did see Ross drop a pass or two that hit him in the hands during drills and 1on1s. So I am not yet confident that he has handled his case of the dropsies. That being said he is definitely athletic.

A couple of guys that I noticed from the drills that never came out on top were Rippy and Gamboa. It seemed impossible for them to get off of the block.

Fields is looking great. It's surprising how open he gets playing against guys bigger and more physical than he is. That being said I was disappointed with a lot of other pass catchers during drills. We just didn't look good at getting separation (outside of Fields). One reason I think this was happening was because the DBs looked very physical. While it may not last throughout the season I think Leavitt/Tumpkin is doing a good job coaching up the kids in the style of the Seahawks. If you are physical with the receiver and get a pass interference call 2 out of 10 times, no worries because that means you had a distinct advantage the other 8 out of 10 times. The DBs were looking nice and physical generally.

I kind of liked the setup because it was easier to get a sense for the players. I liked watching the one on one match-ups in the trenches and receiving. It gives you a better sense for where certain players are. If there were an actual game it would be harder to identify that guard X is doing a good job because the run game is clicking, or whether the DL/LB was a walk-on they were going up against.

I loved the Witherspoon pick 6. While there may have been many things at play including ineptitude by Gehrke, it was great to see a DB making a play on the ball with confidence. The ball wasn't thrown to him, he recognized early enough to get a good jump on it and timed it perfectly.

This is great to see after years of our DBs not having the confidence to play the ball in the air and never turning to find it. Hopefully, this confidence will be contagious and translate through all of our backfield (lets see those picks in league play Crawley).

What I saw a lot of was a nickel look from the 3-4 which ends up being more like a 2-4-5 with two edge-rushing, standing, linebackers. Very similar to what the 49ers like to run. Just splitting hairs.

Correct. There was always 2 DTs, 2 standing edge rushing LBs/DEs, 2 ILBs, and 5 DBs.

It is splitting hairs but the only reason I call it a 4-2-5 is because I think those edge rushers will very seldom drop into coverage. It's meant to be a base 4 man rush. The OLB/DEs may peel with back out at times or may drop to the curl zone if one of the ILB is coming a zone blitz or something, but they are basically stand up DE.

My high school team runs a similar variation of this. Most people don't care, but I'm going to tell you anyways. We run a 3-3-5 stack as our base defense but are often times in a 4-2-5 look when we give an "over" (not the actual term we use) call. The 3 DL shift over and one of the OLBs moves up and plays in a stand up position as an edge rushing LB. The two remaining LBs then slightly spread their alignments and become the 2 ILBs in a similar alignment to what we saw on Sunday. There are some differences in the secondary but beyond that it seems similar to what we run, minus the type of players they put at the edge rushing positions.

Regardless, it's an awesome defensive scheme to combat the spread offenses. Let's just hope JL can put the right players in position to make the necessary plays.

Haha. I saw him a couple times and it was noteworthy. He's quick. If a team gets caught with a LB on him, they're giving up a play.

Barring injury, I don't see him getting much playing time this year with Ross/Bobo hopefully allowing Shay to move into the slot. Even then, guys like Donovan Lee and Lee Walker will probably see the field ahead of him. But he's definitely quick and is a solid route runner.

Barring injury, I don't see him getting much playing time this year with Ross/Bobo hopefully allowing Shay to move into the slot. Even then, guys like Donovan Lee and Lee Walker will probably see the field ahead of him. But he's definitely quick and is a solid route runner.

I think who ever developed the best chemistry with second between lee and mini Mac will play the most at the slot position.

I think Jay MacIntyre has the potential to be a top four WR this year.

Other than Fields we don't look to have a lot of speed at WR that we can count on. MacIntyre may not have great speed but he looks like he has the next best thing which is quickness.

Saw him make a couple of nice grabs in the drills before the scrimmage, not necessarily doing it in a game but showed that he can do it. On of them IIRC was against Witherspoon as well and it looked like the coverage was solid, he just made the play.

Hope you are right about him.

I think who ever developed the best chemistry with second between lee and mini Mac will play the most at the slot position.
I think people are giving Ross and Lee too much deference. Neither has really proven anything at this level.

I'm pissed we haven't had a 2015 breakout player like Josh Ford or Conrad Obi to get us excited about the regular season. Damn you, Spring Game!

I think people are giving Ross and Lee too much deference. Neither has really proven anything at this level.

I actually liked what I saw from Donovan at the end of last season. I just thought the offense did a bad job going over the middle in general which is where I hope to see Donovan grow.

The Watanabe news doesn't seem all that surprising, isn't he still in the boot? He has been booted up for like 2 years now, which seems like kind of a bad thing if we're hoping he'll play for us this fall.

What is the Watanabe news?

Reported short and out of shape. In defense of those, we knew and were concerned about his height - an inch or two below 6 feet - when he was being recruited. His playing style made some of those concerned voices quiet down, but he's still the same guy. Also it was revealed following his final high school game 15 months ago that he had played with a lisfranc injury and has been in a walking boot ever since. Isn't cleared for much of his workout program because of that, I'd suspect.

Let's collectively pump the brakes on the disappointment while also acknowledging that his size is what it was expected to be when CU signed a below average height linebacker who was known to be on the shelf with very complicated injury for an extended time. Need him or not I think a redshirt is going to be necessary and from his high school film I still look forward to his development as he heals and begins working out.

The Watanabe news doesn't seem all that surprising, isn't he still in the boot? He has been booted up for like 2 years now, which seems like kind of a bad thing if we're hoping he'll play for us this fall.

Watanabe was called short and fat above by someone.
He is a little short - that's why he is at CU and not Texas.
And he is a little soft right now, but don't confuse that with fat or lazy. The kid has worked hard during his boot time to put on very good weight and in the process has a little to take off. Not unexpected given his regimen.
Hopefully, his recovery is coming along and he'll be a contributor soon enough.

Re: Gamboa, let's give it time. Kid slid in recruiting because he wasn't a conditioned specimen but I hear he's been doing work. Time will tell.

It will be interesting to see if Walker, Dunston, Ross and Bobo contribute going forward. Only Ross appears to have partook in Spring?

Wish someone could at least tell us what the depth chart looked like after spring. No idea if the redshirt Frosh did anything to note for example.

Other than Fields we don't look to have a lot of speed at WR that we can count on. MacIntyre may not have great speed but he looks like he has the next best thing which is quickness.

Saw him make a couple of nice grabs in the drills before the scrimmage, not necessarily doing it in a game but showed that he can do it. On of them IIRC was against Witherspoon as well and it looked like the coverage was solid, he just made the play.

Hope you are right about him.
Ross has good speed at the WR position from what I've seen. Now, other aspects of his game is what we need to find out, if he will be a contributor or not. The WR position has potential. Fall will tell us a lot here. Fingers crossed.

This team is better than 5 wins at best. Yes, the schedule is harder than 2014, but we return much of the same team in a conference that is losing a lot of very good NFL guys. The team last year went to 2OT with Cal and UCLA. Were a bad interception/fumble away from beating OSU, and Utah, and UW (well, UW maybe more a stretch, but two fumbles in our own territory lost the game). Yeah, winning at Hawaii isn't a given, but I don't see 5 wins being best case. It's probably the most likely outcome, but not best case. The defensive score and turnover rankings really have no where to go but up. No real reason to not take another step on offense with what we are returning and adding guys like Keeney, Walker, Carr, etc.

As for Sefo, he wasn't exactly throwing to his in-game guys. Spruce and Fields were on the other team and he had 3 walk-ons as his receivers, plus Ross and MacIntyre.

i hope I'm wrong but I just don't see those close losses turning into wins just because. We will be 1 year older but so will every other team. Only difference is they are adding freshman and JUCO playmakers all over the field and thei 2 deep from last year will mitigate the drop off. Generally speaking. We stuck with what we have right now. Hopefully Carr is the truth a la Nick Wilson from AZ. We are due for something like that.

Back