What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 CU Spring Football Practices

Digger,

Rep for the work on Sefo's INTs.

One thing overall to note is that as the season went on it seemed to me that Sefo was feeling a lot of pressure to score on every possession which of course leads to mistakes.

The defense was playing like they couldn't stop an Omaha Crack hooker with a $100 bill in their hands. We were giving up ridiculous amounts of points.

I hope that if we can see a notable improvement in the defenses ability to stop opponents drives at least on occasion along with a more consistent and effective running game Sefo doesn't feel like he has to win the game on every play.

As your post highlights there are plenty of times when a "bad" play like a sack or an incomplete pass is much better than a turnover. If Sefo can turn even some of those bad decisions into different results we are a much better team.
Lindgren said something similar...some were clearly Sefo's fault, but he was under pressure quite a bit and WRs ran the wrong routes or ran them poorly. Maybe the OL can do better at PP and the WRs will be more seasoned...if we don't have all those INTs, we could've won one or more of the close games we were in...Utah comes to mind....ggrrrrrr....

Digger,

Rep for the work on Sefo's INTs.

One thing overall to note is that as the season went on it seemed to me that Sefo was feeling a lot of pressure to score on every possession which of course leads to mistakes.

The defense was playing like they couldn't stop an Omaha Crack hooker with a $100 bill in their hands. We were giving up ridiculous amounts of points.

I hope that if we can see a notable improvement in the defenses ability to stop opponents drives at least on occasion along with a more consistent and effective running game Sefo doesn't feel like he has to win the game on every play.

As your post highlights there are plenty of times when a "bad" play like a sack or an incomplete pass is much better than a turnover. If Sefo can turn even some of those bad decisions into different results we are a much better team.

Thanks MtnBuff. I think the defense was in a bad situation anytime Tedric Thompson was not on the field. Against Cal, the game changed from that moment to where we had to score.

Sefo has some tools and has a good base. I watched those interceptions and fumbles many times and I'd say 10 were on him. That's too many. He needs to be a 3:1 TD:INT at worse to make a bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My focus
1. Sefo
2. Young OL that have not started a lot of games like kaiser, Sutton, Huckins, Middlemiss, Kronshange
3. Hayden Jones and Keeney
4. Robbins, Carrell and Leo Jackson.
5. Awini and Rippy
6. Yuri Wright, Evan White, and Sanchez

My focus
1. Sefo
2. Young OL that have not started a lot of games like kaiser, Sutton, Huckins, Middlemiss, Kronshange
5. Awini and Rippy

I don't think Jones and Keeney are participating this spring. Both recovering from surgeries.

My focus
1. Sefo
5. Awini and Rippy
Sefo's main answers won't come until the Pac12.
Only filling two spots. Callahan and Kronshage should be favorites to win Guard spots.

TE is thin. Need to see if Center can do anything. Otherwise it will be an interesting year to see how they attack the middle of the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I'd start a thread considering that the team started practicing TODAY. Hello? Did I miss something, is there a thread in Brazil 2 where slider has already posted his acute observations?

Anyway, here's my short list of who I'll be watching intently, hoping there has been development/progression:

A. Witherspoon - Injuries held him back last year, wished we had just redshirted him
G. Watanabe - We need him to be a starter
J. Franke - Potential to be as disruptive in the middle as anyone we have
S. Kafovalu - Likely our best pass rusher
J. Kaiser - Potential to be a multi-year starter
S. Callahan - Needs to take a Guard spot
J. Huckins - Needs to push for starter/6th man role
S. Weifels - Big question mark
L. Walker - Glad we redshirted him, could boost the WR unit
D. Keeney - Needs to be our best TE
J. Sanchez - Like his frame and what we saw last fall
C. Center - Now or never
D. Rippy - Now or never
Y. Wright - Now or never

We also need heavy competition at the RB and LB spot to prepare for the influx of talent coming this fall and the position battles that will ensue.

Yuri. Wright. We've talked a lot about Rippy getting his **** together, but very little about Wright. It's time for him to start living up to his 4* status. Not that stars mean much at this point, but he, Crawley and Rippy being on the field would put three 4* talents on the defensive side of the ball... More talent than we've had out there at the same time in quite some time. Let's hope the light turns on for Wright and Rippy.

Yuri. Wright. We've talked a lot about Rippy getting his **** together, but very little about Wright. It's time for him to start living up to his 4* status. Not that stars mean much at this point, but he, Crawley and Rippy being on the field would put three 4* talents on the defensive side of the ball... More talent (as predicted by high school rankings) than we've had out there at the same time in quite some time. Let's hope the light turns on for Wright and Rippy.

FIFY

Correct, but aren't those talent evaluations as predicted by high school rankings how we're judging all of MM's recruiting classes, including this one? Do those rankings only apply for incoming freshman and cease to exist for guys who've been in the program?

Yuri. Wright. We've talked a lot about Rippy getting his **** together, but very little about Wright. It's time for him to start living up to his 4* status. Not that stars mean much at this point, but he, Crawley and Rippy being on the field would put three 4* talents on the defensive side of the ball... More talent than we've had out there at the same time in quite some time. Let's hope the light turns on for Wright and Rippy.

There are several players that would be a bonus in my view, an unexpected bonus, if they emerge. Lots of folks had dismissed Devin Ross also, but actually hearing his name quite a bit, including from MM. Will be interesting to see who can emerge from the edge of obscurity, if anybody?

If Yuri, Rippy, and Devin emerge, plus Samson..... Jethro (me) might have to review my "gozendas" per season win total. But for now, I better just remain pessimistic ... :lol:

(Don't want to jinx players or the program if I start hittin the Kool Aid ;)

Correct, but aren't those talent evaluations as predicted by high school rankings how we're judging all of MM's recruiting classes, including this one? Do those rankings only apply for incoming freshman and cease to exist for guys who've been in the program?

I think it's fair to use the recruiting rankings until they get here and show something.

In the same paragraph you said rankings don't matter and then you called these two of our most talented (along with Crawley).

You Said:
... More talent than we've had out there at the same time in quite some time.

I'm just saying I have no idea if they are that talented. Crawley has some great raw talents he has shown. He can get a lot better. The other two have yet to show even that. Hope they do!

I think it's fair to use the recruiting rankings until they get here and show something.

In the same paragraph you said rankings don't matter and then you called these two of our most talented (along with Crawley).

You Said:

I'm just saying I have no idea if they are that talented. Crawley has some great raw talents he has shown. He can get a lot better. The other two have yet to show even that. Hope they do!

You're right, I kind of contradicted myself a little. What I meant was that, while the star ratings themselves don't mean much at this point in Wright or Rippy's career, I feel like it is a good barometer of their general talent level. In theory, both of those guys were/are "talented" enough to play at big time P5 programs, along with Crawley. There aren't many (Samson is another) others on CU's D that had offer lists as impressive as those 3-4 guys. They are all very talented individuals that, for one reason or another, haven't necessarily lived up to their "star" rating of talent (Note: I do believe Crawley has been pretty good for us, but like you, I believe he has a lot of room for growth). If all 4 of those guys can be on the field at the same time, it would be more "rated talent" than we've had on the defensive side of the ball in a while.

You're right, I kind of contradicted myself a little. What I meant was that, while the star ratings themselves don't mean much at this point in Wright or Rippy's career, I feel like it is a good barometer of their general talent level. In theory, both of those guys were/are "talented" enough to play at big time P5 programs, along with Crawley. There aren't many (Samson is another) others on CU's D that had offer lists as impressive as those 3-4 guys. They are all very talented individuals that, for one reason or another, haven't necessarily lived up to their "star" rating of talent (Note: I do believe Crawley has been pretty good for us, but like you, I believe he has a lot of room for growth). If all 4 of those guys can be on the field at the same time, it would be more "rated talent" than we've had on the defensive side of the ball in a while.

You weren't wrong either though.

Wright and Rippy may have shown themselves at this point not to be 4* players at this level but they got those HS rankings based in large part on being 4* type athletes. Wright in his true Fr. year showed a lot of signs that while being very raw and needing some of the physical development that comes with maturity was an elite level athlete. He ran stride for stride with some very elite recievers, made some tremendous athletic plays.

He also got burned fairly often but that can be blamed on being thrown into a tough situation without a lot of support or preparation.

The problem for him came after that season. From outside appearances it looks like in addition to some injury issues he has simply not been willing do do the work and develop the natural talent he has. All the tools in world don't help if you won't put them to work.

Maybe changes in the coaching staff and a new year will be enough to convince Yuri that a more serious approach to football would be in his best interest. If so having another corner who can move with the type of athletes we face in the PAC would be a huge help.

You weren't wrong either though.

Wright and Rippy may have shown themselves at this point not to be 4* players at this level but they got those HS rankings based in large part on being 4* type athletes. Wright in his true Fr. year showed a lot of signs that while being very raw and needing some of the physical development that comes with maturity was an elite level athlete. He ran stride for stride with some very elite recievers, made some tremendous athletic plays.

He also got burned fairly often but that can be blamed on being thrown into a tough situation without a lot of support or preparation.

The problem for him came after that season. From outside appearances it looks like in addition to some injury issues he has simply not been willing do do the work and develop the natural talent he has. All the tools in world don't help if you won't put them to work.

Maybe changes in the coaching staff and a new year will be enough to convince Yuri that a more serious approach to football would be in his best interest. If so having another corner who can move with the type of athletes we face in the PAC would be a huge help.
Stars matter, I'm not gonna say they don't. You don't bring that crap to the next level, nobody gives a ****. Bring your game with you and earn it.

Stars matter, I'm not gonna say they don't. You don't bring that crap to the next level, nobody gives a ****. Bring your game with you and earn it.

In these cases the stars meant that both guys had the raw athletic ability to be something special.

Instead both guys seem to have taken the attitude that they are something special and don't have to work at being better players.

The negative is that it is highly frustrating to see that much talent going to waste, the hope is that if they get their acts together they can be better than good, their athletic ability could allow them to be special. We are getting much closer to having good players at most positions but we have a serious lack of special, of guys who can individually make a difference.

Doesn't necessarily fit in the thread, but since we're talking about:
Here's my thought on "stars". If you come to CU (at this point in history) as a 4/5* athlete, you are just a small sample size relative to the team. So you probably look around and say, "the Buffs are sure lucky to have ME". Your **** don't stink so you don't try as hard. Contrast that to Bama, USC, blah, blah, blah where EVERYONE is as highly rated. So relatively, you gotta bust your ass to prove your self.
That's where I think we keep thinking all these "diamond in the rough" guys are actually better than the higher talent we have. In general, probably not...but I guarantee you they are putting an exponentially higher amount of effort to get playing time over the higher rated dudes (so we say, "hey look, our 3* is better than our 4").
Side note - so when the high-star player gets passed over, he says "F this, I'm out of here (or gets in trouble)"...Marcus Houston, Darrell Scott, etc, etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doesn't necessarily fit in the thread, but since we're talking about:
Here's my thought on "stars". If you come to CU (at this point in history) as a 4/5* athlete, you are just a small sample size relative to the team. So you probably look around and say, "the Buffs are sure lucky to have ME". Your **** don't stink so you don't try as hard. Contrast that to Bama, USC, blah, blah, blah where EVERYONE is as highly rated. So relatively, you gotta bust your ass to prove your self.
That's where I think we keep thinking all these "diamond in the rough" guys are actually better than the higher talent we have. In general, probably not...but I guarantee you they are putting an exponentially higher amount of effort to get playing time over the higher rated dudes (so we say, "hey look, our 3* is better than our 4").
Side note - so when the high-star player gets passed over, he says "F this, I'm out of here (or gets in trouble)"...Marcus Houston, Darrell Scott, etc, etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eh, I don't really buy much of that, but I see your point. There may be something to the fact that some highly touted recruits have an ego complex and don't work as hard as the "diamonds in the rough", but I don't really see that flying for more than their first year. Once they've had their ego checked their freshman year and get passed up by "lesser talent", they either turn it on and play to potential or fold and never amount to anything. Darrell Scott and Marcus Houston were highly touted players that showed some flashes early on but didn't amount to anything, even after they left CU. Some kids just aren't built for big time success, no matter how talented they are.

Forget this garbage about 4* & 5* guys being less competitive & having lesser work ethic. That's a load of crap. They got to their level for a reason. Those guys are more likely to have the mental traits you want.

At CU, the issue has been that our coaches for years have made exceptions on mental traits as a gamble to get physical talent. It has almost always been a bad bet. HCMM isn't willing to make many of those bets. When he starts winning and signing more 4* & 5* guys, they will be the ones who have the right mental traits.

Forget this garbage about 4* & 5* guys being less competitive & having lesser work ethic. That's a load of crap. They got to their level for a reason. Those guys are more likely to have the mental traits you want.

At CU, the issue has been that our coaches for years have made exceptions on mental traits as a gamble to get physical talent. It has almost always been a bad bet. HCMM isn't willing to make many of those bets. When he starts winning and signing more 4* & 5* guys, they will be the ones who have the right mental traits.

I generally agree with you, but the lesser work ethic is not a load of crap. I've seen it first hand and it's very much an issue with SOME high caliber athletes at the high school level. The reason they got to their level in high school is due, in part, because they work hard at it, but mostly because of their god-given athletic ability and genetics. In high school, these kids can easily get by on just being head and shoulders above everyone else on the field, and for some, it's a very rude awakening when they get to the big time collegiate level. The "good ones" are the guys that have the elite talent and athleticism but also work their asses off in the weight room and film study.

Everything else, specifically relating to CU and who MM is targeting, I agree with you on, though.

I generally agree with you, but the lesser work ethic is not a load of crap. I've seen it first hand and it's very much an issue with SOME high caliber athletes at the high school level. The reason they got to their level in high school is due, in part, because they work hard at it, but mostly because of their god-given athletic ability and genetics. In high school, these kids can easily get by on just being head and shoulders above everyone else on the field, and for some, it's a very rude awakening when they get to the big time collegiate level. The "good ones" are the guys that have the elite talent and athleticism but also work their asses off in the weight room and film study.

Everything else, specifically relating to CU and who MM is targeting, I agree with you on, though.

What you bring up is why a 4* from one of the 5A/6A factories in TX or CA is usually a better bet than a 4* from CO or small HS ball. They're around other great athletes and face them on Friday nights. Makes it much harder to coast on natural talent.

What you bring up is why a 4* from one of the 5A/6A factories in TX or CA is usually a better bet than a 4* from CO or small HS ball. They're around other great athletes and face them on Friday nights. Makes it much harder to coast on natural talent.

Good point. The one or two legit D1 kids on various CO teams are able to coast with no real competition. That's definitely different in CA and TX where there may be 5-6 P5 D1 kids on various high school teams with another 5-6 G5 athletes. Point taken.

Good point. The one or two legit D1 kids on various CO teams are able to coast with no real competition. That's definitely different in CA and TX where there may be 5-6 P5 D1 kids on various high school teams with another 5-6 G5 athletes. Point taken.

I think this is why McChesney's outfit is so vital for Colorado. Bringing the best from the Denver metro together to train together and compete with each other under someone who knows what it takes in college is a game changer.

Does anyone stop to consider that if Rippy and Wright were 3-stars, no one would give a flying flip about them and we'd be chalking them up to being busts? Instead, they are arbitrarily assigned one more "star", and all of a sudden everyone's like, "they're gonna break through. They've gotta break through. They're 4-stars". They could have been borderline 3/4-star players, but for some reason that 4-star designation carries so much weight with everyone. The obsession over these two guys is ridiculous. Tons of 4-star guys never pan out. But because we don't see them at CU very often these days, everyone holds onto an irrational hope that every one of them will. What makes the elite schools elite is they recruit 20 of these guys and when 8 don't end up being contributors, they've still got 12 others to bank on.

Let me break it to you: both of those guys are just collecting scholarship money and that's about it. I watched a fair amount of practices last year (and every game) and it's crystal clear that both (and I'd say Rippy more than Wright) are completely outclassed at their positions. And Rippy is not a very good athlete. He doesn't have nearly the athleticism his cousin Doug has and he is soft. If there's no major improvement this spring, then I think it's time to write both of them off and move on. Too many young guys in the pipeline.

Does anyone stop to consider that if Rippy and Wright were 3-stars, no one would give a flying flip about them and we'd be chalking them up to being busts? Instead, they are arbitrarily assigned one more "star", and all of a sudden everyone's like, "they're gonna break through. They've gotta break through. They're 4-stars". They could have been borderline 3/4-star players, but for some reason that 4-star designation carries so much weight with everyone. The obsession over these two guys is ridiculous. Tons of 4-star guys never pan out. But because we don't see them at CU very often these days, everyone holds onto an irrational hope that every one of them will. What makes the elite schools elite is they recruit 20 of these guys and when 8 don't end up being contributors, they've still got 12 others to bank on.

Let me break it to you: both of those guys are just collecting scholarship money and that's about it. I watched a fair amount of practices last year (and every game) and it's crystal clear that both (and I'd say Rippy more than Wright) are completely outclassed at their positions. And Rippy is not a very good athlete. He doesn't have nearly the athleticism his cousin Doug has and he is soft. If there's no major improvement this spring, then I think it's time to write both of them off and move on. Too many young guys in the pipeline.

I think the star rating is the main influencer on those guys.

However, I'm going by their high school film when I say they've got unrealized upside. They're both great athletes for their position. I'll say the same thing about Devin Ross, Elijah Dunston, Marques Mosley, Colin Sutton and Dylan Keeney... none of whom were 4* rated. There are athletes all over the roster who have not broken out from the pack (or kept up with the pack) the way their natural gifts say they should. And while they're on the roster, I assume the coaches haven't given up on them so I won't either.

Well this doesn't sound promising.

What makes the elite schools elite is they recruit 20 of these guys and when 8 don't end up being contributors, they've still got 12 others to bank on.

It's more like:
What makes the elite schools elite is they recruit 200 of these guys, offer 100, put them thru a grueling vetting process and sign 20, and when 8 don't end up being contributors, they've still got 12 others to bank on.

The couple we get from time to time are typically not being pursued by the elites on NSD.

I think the star rating is the main influencer on those guys.

However, I'm going by their high school film when I say they've got unrealized upside. They're both great athletes for their position. I'll say the same thing about Devin Ross, Elijah Dunston, Marques Mosley, Colin Sutton and Dylan Keeney... none of whom were 4* rated. There are athletes all over the roster who have not broken out from the pack (or kept up with the pack) the way their natural gifts say they should. And while they're on the roster, I assume the coaches haven't given up on them so I won't either.

I generally agree but I'm not as high on the above (sans Keeney) as you.

Yuri does not show anything at practice. I've watched him a ton. He has not been a football player. Does not have a clue. I'm not sure that one ever gets it. Hope I'm wrong though.

It's already been discussed, but you don't get the offer sheets Rippy and Wright did if you can't play. I'm not saying Saban and Urban Meyer were crying on NSD when neither signed with them, but they both had offers from almost every elite P5 program. Neither have lived up to that billing, thus far, at CU. The potential and talent for these two are real. They aren't manufactured by recruiting sites who are "arbitrarily assigning stars". Whether or not the potential will be realized is the only thing in question.

Back