What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017 Offense

Bufffan68

Club Member
Club Member
Is it just me, or is this offense going to be even better next year? Montez will be better with being #1 in spring again, the OL should be even better with good recruits and another year of S&C, we'll have more depth at WR and Lindsay is returning.

I hope the O stays focused and committed to tempo...it seems we lost both focus and commitment as the season went on and it showed. I think it's BL's fault for lack of tempo...I just don't think he's philosophically committed to it like DC is.

and need another RB to show up, a TE would be nice to see as an actual threat. Montez will be a slight upgrade physically and arm strength IMO.

Is it just me, or is this offense going to be even better next year? Montez will be better with being #1 in spring again, the OL should be even better with good recruits and another year of S&C, we'll have more depth at WR and Lindsay is returning.

I hope the O stays focused and committed to tempo...it seems we lost both focus and commitment as the season went on and it showed. I think it's BL's fault for lack of tempo...I just don't think he's philosophically committed to it like DC is.
Shocking that you are focused on BL.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2016-colorado-advanced-statistical-profile

we were #7 in adjusted pace. Nationally.

Definite uptick from last year, when we were all the way down to #19. Nationally.

Both BL and Chev love pace.

Depends on what you mean by "committed to tempo" because I think you need to pick and choose the spots. This offense is at best when it mixes the tempo throughout the game.

Main thing to watch will be whether another RB can actually step up and take some of the load off Lindsay. Evans really cannot be that guy.

Depends on what you mean by "committed to tempo" because I think you need to pick and choose the spots. This offense is at best when it mixes the tempo throughout the game.

Main thing to watch will be whether another RB can actually step up and take some of the load off Lindsay. Evans really cannot be that guy.
Doesn't seem like we are looking for one but a Juco running back who is more physically developed for those tough yards would be nice.

Shocking that you are focused on BL.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2016-colorado-advanced-statistical-profile

we were #7 in adjusted pace. Nationally.

Definite uptick from last year, when we were all the way down to #19. Nationally.

Both BL and Chev love pace.
I've changed my on BL...he's done a good job developing QBs and we broke school records with our offense this year. I'm just wondering if he is as committed to uptempo as DC. Thanks for the stat...we were impressive. I guess I was expecting a more consistent, fast-paced feel a la Oregon...but if we are the 7th fastest team I will go with stats and not my perception or expectation.

I still think we are going to be even better. Need more RB depth going forward, but all the signals are pointing to a great O. If we get a viable TE game, we will be ridiculous...sign with CU NOW Josh Falo!!!!!

Based on what Montez flashed this year when he played for long stretches or full games and our trio of explosive junior WRs, plus Lindsay also a jr., I expect the offense to be potentially better (perhaps significantly) next year than this year.

I'd be curious to see what the better informed folks that post here think about that projection.

CU's offensive system is very hard to defend because it can attack a defense in so many ways. But we have had some personnel holes that has limited things. Need quite a bit of improvement from a lot of guys and some impact recruiting. Potential is there to be special with the foundation we start with, though. Could very well be an offense that can score fast, can score slow, and averages close to 40 ppg while controlling the game's flow/tempo. There's still a lot to do in order to get it there.

Winfree is a big deal. Our WRs struggled, imho, on getting open quickly against press coverage.

The other thing I thought they struggled with was on working to the whistle when the QB extended the play. Guys didn't get themselves open enough. Too often ran their routes to completion and then did too much standing around.

Montez is going to extend plays even more than Sefo did. That's an opportunity for explosive plays outside of play design and CU did not capitalize nearly enough on those chances. They are game changers.

Really want to see a TE in this up-tempo offense. Reliable over the middle guy for 6-10 yards when QB is pressured would have helped a lot this year I think.
TE = Falo

WR isn't an issue - returning 3 plus winfree plus 4 4* FR.

Oline - who is the new center?

RB - can Bishrat become that big power back he was supposed to be?

TE - not sure we know what that is

Who becomes the backup QB? Do we actually know that Montez is the #1? I have heard things about Noyer. Good things. I'd like the competition to be truly open.

My guess is that the offense will be much more explosive next year. More short to intermediate throws and less direct QB runs up the middle. Push pace with Lindsay and RPO and lots of throws on quick routes to our abundance of targets (including Winfree and Huntley next year), with Montez having a green light to use his legs if the opportunity is there. With Montez back there and only a sophomore, I would expect some "hold your breath moments", where there will be some phenomenal long bombs to our deep threats but some head shakers that get picked as well.

This all sets up well since our defense will take a step back next season. We will need the ability to win shootouts.

WR isn't an issue - returning 3 plus winfree plus 4 4* FR.

Oline - who is the new center?

RB - can Bishrat become that big power back he was supposed to be?

TE - not sure we know what that is

Who becomes the backup QB? Do we actually know that Montez is the #1? I have heard things about Noyer. Good things. I'd like the competition to be truly open.

Expectation is that Lynott slides in to C and the open spot in the spring is RG rather than replacing Kelley. Lynott was recruited to be a Center and is built for that position. He had a hell of a year at RG, though.

On WR, I still think we can improve a lot and competition will be heated. While the whole group improved a ton and I have nothing but props for the magical Coach Chiv, I still think our talent there is ordinary and will ratchet up. Yes, our WR's looked pretty good this year, but I think they got a great coach and a great system.

Ross and Bobo made huge gains, quickly.

We got some physical specimens (Huntley, Winfree and Ento), along with some frosh coming in....

I look forward to real competition and seeing everyone take it up a full notch if not more. Would not be surprised if we see 2-3 guys who didn't get much time this year, get a lot more opps next year.

We really need a second RB. I love Lindsay, but he is physically limited, and can't carry it all himself.

It's been stated by many. It will begin, and end, with how well the OL develops. The other pieces, with the exception of TE, are there.

On WR, I still think we can improve a lot and competition will be heated. While the whole group improved a ton and I have nothing but props for the magical Coach Chiv, I still think our talent there is ordinary and will ratchet up. Yes, our WR's looked pretty good this year, but I think they got a great coach and a great system.

Ross and Bobo made huge gains, quickly.

We got some physical specimens (Huntley, Winfree and Ento), along with some frosh coming in....

I look forward to real competition and seeing everyone take it up a full notch if not more. Would not be surprised if we see 2-3 guys who didn't get much time this year, get a lot more opps next year.

We need a go to receiver that can consistently get open in one on one coverage. A guy who either gets safety help or gets the ball thrown to him. Hopefully this guy is on the roster now.

We need a go to receiver that can consistently get open in one on one coverage. A guy who either gets safety help or gets the ball thrown to him. Hopefully this guy is on the roster now.

One thing I think we do have in 2017 is 3 guys I trust on a jump ball with Ento, Bobo and Winfree. Probably add Huntley to that as another big receiver who can out-physical a DB to be open even when he's not open.

Don't take this as gospel, i was killing time on a plane flight from sacramento to baltimore and started penciling out of our depth chart. I'm not the most knowledgeable, check with Duff/Nik and those guys to see if it looks right. As with the other i posted in defense, this is not including committed recruits because they haven't signed LOI yet. I think a few of those guys will have an opportunity to play at true freshmen.

Our offense should be loaded at skill positions, WR's and HB. If we can talk J. Irwin into coming back, i would feel great about our OL as lot of these guys have played, talented freshmen recruits will be filling depth chart behind them on 2nd and 3rd teams. QB spot IMO should be improved with Lytle coming in. Black hole remains TE. If Falo's brother commits that would be a huge win. Otherwise, with the depth the way we have it, i would see if Bisharat could play some H-back if he could pack on about 10 more LBs. HB position is going to be tough to crack and he could impact that quicker.

WR Shay Fields - Senior ; Kabeon Into - Senior ; Lee Walker*** - Junior ;
WR Bryce Bob - Senior ; Juwan Winfree****(IR) - Junior ; Johnny Huntly*** - Sophomore
TE George Frazier - Senior ; Dylan Keeney - Junior ; Chris Hill - Junior ; Chris Bounds** - Sophomore
LT - Jeremy Irvin - Senior ; Dillon Middlemiss - Sophomore ;
LG - Gerrad kough** - Senior ; Jonathan Huckins - Senior
C: Colin Sutton - Senior
RG: Tim Lynott*** - Sophomore
RT: Aaron Haigler*** - Sophomore ; Sam Kronshage - Senior ; Isaac Miller - Sophomore
QB: Steven Montez - Sophomore ; Sam Noyer*** - Sophomore
HB: Philip Lindsay - Senior ; Kyle Evans - Junior ; Donovan Lee - Senior ; Beau Bisharat**** - Sophomore ; Dino Gordon**** - R-Freshman ; Michael Adkins - Senior
WR: Devon Ross - Senior ; Jay McIntyre - Junior

Don't take this as gospel, i was killing time on a plane flight from sacramento to baltimore and started penciling out of our depth chart. I'm not the most knowledgeable, check with Duff/Nik and those guys to see if it looks right. As with the other i posted in defense, this is not including committed recruits because they haven't signed LOI yet. I think a few of those guys will have an opportunity to play at true freshmen.

Our offense should be loaded at skill positions, WR's and HB. If we can talk J. Irwin into coming back, i would feel great about our OL as lot of these guys have played, talented freshmen recruits will be filling depth chart behind them on 2nd and 3rd teams. QB spot IMO should be improved with Lytle coming in. Black hole remains TE. If Falo's brother commits that would be a huge win. Otherwise, with the depth the way we have it, i would see if Bisharat could play some H-back if he could pack on about 10 more LBs. HB position is going to be tough to crack and he could impact that quicker.

WR Shay Fields - Senior ; Kabeon Into - Senior ; Lee Walker*** - Junior ;
WR Bryce Bob - Senior ; Juwan Winfree****(IR) - Junior ; Johnny Huntly*** - Sophomore
TE George Frazier - Senior ; Dylan Keeney - Junior ; Chris Hill - Junior ; Chris Bounds** - Sophomore
LT - Jeremy Irvin - Senior ; Dillon Middlemiss - Sophomore ;
LG - Gerrad kough** - Senior ; Jonathan Huckins - Senior
C: Colin Sutton - Senior
RG: Tim Lynott*** - Sophomore
RT: Aaron Haigler*** - Sophomore ; Sam Kronshage - Senior ; Isaac Miller - Sophomore
QB: Steven Montez - Sophomore ; Sam Noyer*** - Sophomore
HB: Philip Lindsay - Senior ; Kyle Evans - Junior ; Donovan Lee - Senior ; Beau Bisharat**** - Sophomore ; Dino Gordon**** - R-Freshman ; Michael Adkins - Senior
WR: Devon Ross - Senior ; Jay McIntyre - Junior

I think that's a pretty solid effort. Some guys may not return (normal attrition thru graduation & transfer).

A few notes:
  • Lynott likely sliding in to play C next year (or could be Huckins)
  • Chris Hill graduated, I believe
  • In that OL mix for next year will be some guys who were injured or didn't appear on depth charts (led by Lisella, Kaiser & Miller)

We need to continue the WR development. Our guys need to do a better job of separating in the first 0-8 yard area. I would like to see Winfree or Bobo become that go to first down guy. like Nelson Spruce was for us.

Back