What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

Sooooo...who looks good for CU?
With just short of $10M owed to MM plus every assistant other than Bernardi under contract for another year, this isn't a discussion unless we either see utter collapse or MM hired away. I think RG would pull the trigger and fire him at 5-7 or 6-6 if he couldn't work with MM's agent to find another program willing to hire him away, but it would be a tough financial nut.

With just short of $10M owed to MM plus every assistant other than Bernardi under contract for another year, this isn't a discussion unless we either see utter collapse or MM hired away. I think RG would pull the trigger and fire him at 5-7 or 6-6 if he couldn't work with MM's agent to find another program willing to hire him away, but it would be a tough financial nut.
Right. I’m assuming we win one more at best (or worst).

I think if we limp to 6-6, Mac has to go. Hopefully they can work together and find him a soft landing spot somewhere far ****ing away, but I just don't think anyone can take this program seriously if 6-6 in year 6 cuts it.

I think if we limp to 6-6, Mac has to go. Hopefully they can work together and find him a soft landing spot somewhere far ****ing away, but I just don't think anyone can take this program seriously if 6-6 in year 6 cuts it.

There's no Sumlin like clause that says he needs to be paid out immediately if he's fired, so that makes this a much easier pill to swallow-but we do have to know what the buyouts of the guys we're talking about are on here. Tedford makes sense because his buyout is $1.5m. Major Applewhite at Houston doesn't here because of his massive buyout ($7.5m ish?). Jim Leavitt would probably be somebody that would be involved here whether we like it or not.

USC gets too caught up in being USC. They hire coaches that they think are USC guys as opposed to hiring the best coach they can find.

That’s what keeps the rest of the conference in a position to win the league. If USC ever decided to go get themselves a real football coach, they’d blow the doors off of everybody. Saban would have a hard time competing against them.
They call it the Trojan Family. And they’re completely serious.

Also, everyone should check out Howell's chat today. Interesting stuff.

To recap:

1. He thinks HCMM needs at least 2 more wins to keep his job. Unless he gets 3+, it's questionable.

2. The buyout will not be 10+ million because most of these guys will be able to go get jobs elsewhere, mitigating the cost.

3. RG has the money.

Also, everyone should check out Howell's chat today. Interesting stuff.

To recap:

1. He thinks HCMM needs at least 2 more wins to keep his job. Unless he gets 3+, it's questionable.

2. The buyout will not be 10+ million because most of these guys will be able to go get jobs elsewhere, mitigating the cost.

3. RG has the money.

Does the fact that USC is probably the only other Pac-12 job opening this offseason make RG more likely to make a move this year?

Does the fact that USC is probably the only other Pac-12 job opening this offseason make RG more likely to make a move this year?

I'm not even sure we're competing with USC for the same pool of coaches-every change they've made since Carroll (Kiffin, Sarkisian, and Helton) has been a guy with connections to USC. I'd expect that to continue, and there's been interest between them and Jack Del Rio in the past.

It is something that makes it more likely. I remain somewhat skeptical RG will pull the trigger, even if CU goes 0-fer the rest of the way.

Maybe I just do not want to get my hopes up. CU should beat AZ. Steal one from WSU, UU or Cal and MikMac is probably here for 2019. At 6-6 though, it would be a close call. I have no inside info, just spitballing.....

Losing to OSU was huge. Not because OSU is anything other than one of the few W's CU should have been able to count on. Like Hawaii a couple of years ago, losing a gimme can do a lot of damage.

I still cannot believe CU blew that huge lead.

Jeff Tedford is that right now, and he'd do very, very well here.

I like Tedford and there's a lot to like about him, but he also went 50-45 in conference as Cal's HC. That's really average and I just wouldn't be happy with that. Not saying he's destined to forever go .500 in conference, maybe he has learned some things or changed things up, but eh.

It is something that makes it more likely. I remain somewhat skeptical RG will pull the trigger, even if CU goes 0-fer the rest of the way.

Maybe I just do not want to get my hopes up. CU should beat AZ. Steal one from WSU, UU or Cal and MikMac is probably here for 2019. At 6-6 though, it would be a close call. I have no inside info, just spitballing.....

Losing to OSU was huge. Not because OSU is anything other than one of the few W's CU should have been able to count on. Like Hawaii a couple of years ago, losing a gimme can do a lot of damage.

He's gone at 6-6 or worse.

I like Tedford and there's a lot to like about him, but he also went 50-45 in conference as Cal's HC. That's really average and I just wouldn't be happy with that. Not saying he's destined to forever go .500 in conference, maybe he has learned some things or changed things up, but eh.

I get that, but you gotta give him a call if we move on from HCMM. That came at Cal, which isn't the easiest job in this league. He's also more than likely going to pull off two 10 win seasons at Fresno in a row-coming off of 1-11 in DeRuyter's last year out there. He also was Aaron Rodgers' college coach-which would help in keeping Montez here for next year (Viska probably leaves after next year regardless of what happens with HCMM), and I think being around a guy like that would be incredible for Lytle, Stenstrom, and Evans. Its not a sure thing we get him. He's a Fresno alum, and there are the health issues. I'd still want to look into Anderson and Littrell, in addition to some of the hotter coordinators out there.

Last edited:
I could entertain the idea of MacIntyre staying and at a minimum dropping Adams with a plan to bring in a great o-line coach to replace him.

He's gone at 6-6 or worse.

I get that, but you gotta give him a call if we move on from HCMM. That came at Cal, which isn't the easiest job in this league. He's also more than likely going to pull off two 10 win seasons at Fresno in a row-coming off of 1-11 in DeRuyter's last year out there. He also was Aaron Rodgers' college coach-which would help in keeping Montez here for next year (Viska probably leaves after next year regardless of what happens with HCMM), and I think being around a guy like that would be incredible for Lytle, Stenstrom, and Evans. Its not a sure thing we get him. He's a Fresno alum, and there are the health issues. I'd still want to look into Anderson and Littrell, in addition to some of the hotter coordinators out there.

He's definitely interesting and I do believe guys can get better with more chances. The work he's doing at Fresno is pretty good. I'd interview him for sure, but I'd probably mention most of these names..

Neal Brown seems like he'll get a lot of attention from pretty good programs. That guy is having a lot of success plus has some big wins on the road at LSU and at Nebraska.

Mike Norvell was a pretty hot name last year, looks like he's having a rough year 3.

I could entertain the idea of MacIntyre staying and at a minimum dropping Adams with a plan to bring in a great o-line coach to replace him.
I suspect MM is gonna fire Chiv, demote Or replace Adams and make Roper OC. All to try to save his job.

CU doesn't beat a rising AZ, on the road, after this loss. We will let OSU beat us twice.

WSU and UU can write down any score they want to right now and make it stick.

CAL is the only chance. And that's on the road, after 6 straight losses.

He's definitely interesting and I do believe guys can get better with more chances. The work he's doing at Fresno is pretty good. I'd interview him for sure, but I'd probably mention most of these names..

Neal Brown seems like he'll get a lot of attention from pretty good programs. That guy is having a lot of success plus has some big wins on the road at LSU and at Nebraska.

Mike Norvell was a pretty hot name last year, looks like he's having a rough year 3.

Good time to get a type of post like this up here given we might be in this mix this year. What are we looking at for possible P5 openings?
ACC-GA Tech, North Carolina, Louisville
SEC-Auburn, Vanderbilt
Big 10-Rutgers
Big 12-Both Kansas schools, Oklahoma State? (I suppose, but I think Gundy is a lot like Whittingham at Utah)
Pac 12-us, USC

Last edited:
Back