What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

I have not seen Mark Richt's name dropped yet? Where are we with him? I hear he could be done at miami. He was born in nebraska, so there is that.

My BIG fish and I know it would never happen - but would be Allsome. Wade Phillips HC / DC. Keep Ambrose, Drake, Roper, Chev, Els. Make Roper OC and Chev Co OC.

My BIG fish and I know it would never happen - but would be Allsome. Wade Phillips HC / DC. Keep Ambrose, Drake, Roper, Chev, Els. Make Roper OC and Chev Co OC.
Why do you want to keep MM’s entire staff in place? A HC is responsible for the entire thing, but he’s only as good as the guys he hires. Nobody on this staff is irreplaceable and maybe one or two have a case to remain on a new staff.

I have not seen Mark Richt's name dropped yet? Where are we with him? I hear he could be done at miami. He was born in nebraska, so there is that.

Let's hire Bobo as his OC! Hard pass, and I don't think he's leaving Miami.

Why do multiple people here think hiring a new coach and forcing him to keep most of the old staff on is a good idea? Great way to create tension with the AD by not letting the new HC do his job and great way to continue being mediocre by using the coaches that have been mediocre. I wouldn’t mind the HC keeping some due to his own decision but get that idea of keeping most of the staff out of your head. It won’t happen and shouldn’t happen.

Why do multiple people here think hiring a new coach and forcing him to keep most of the old staff on is a good idea? Great way to create tension with the AD by not letting the new HC do his job and great way to continue being mediocre by using the coaches that have been mediocre. I wouldn’t mind the HC keeping some due to his own decision but get that idea of keeping most of the staff out of your head. It won’t happen and shouldn’t happen.

This

We may be attached to some of the staff but a coach has to be free to pick the guys he wants. He needs a staff he can work with easily, that can coach the system and techniques he wants to use, and can fill the roles he needs them to.

It is possible that some of the existing staff will fit but that has to be the coaches decision. Part of the interview process is to find out what his plan is in terms of assistants. If the AD is planning to micro-manage the staff it is going to be hard to get the right guy as a coach.

I think it often makes sense to keep a few of the existing coaches, particularly when the change in coaches is being done to elevate the program from mediocre to good. If done properly, it helps maintain positive continuity while simultaneously promoting positive change. Typically, coordinators are not retained, though. It’s usually a linebacker coach or RB coach. A guy who has a good rapport with the team and can be counted on to get the existing players to buy into the new coaches vision.

I think it often makes sense to keep a few of the existing coaches, particularly when the change in coaches is being done to elevate the program from mediocre to good. If done properly, it helps maintain positive continuity while simultaneously promoting positive change. Typically, coordinators are not retained, though. It’s usually a linebacker coach or RB coach. A guy who has a good rapport with the team and can be counted on to get the existing players to buy into the new coaches vision.

Every situation is different, and every coach is different. Its not uncommon for an AD to encourage a new coach to keep a particular assistant. I think it would make sense for anybody we've talked about to keep Chev as WR coach/recruiting coordinator (He's the logical hold the recruiting class together interim coach if we make a change)-he's proven himself to be one of the better recruiters we've had here in quite some time, and I think he deserves a good amount of the credit for making Texas more of a priority in recruiting.

Last edited:
Back