What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

The carousel begins to spin:

Open jobs:

BGSU- Mike Jinks the first casualty (h/t Mtn.)
Maryland- DJ Dirkin gets the hook for just one dead player, can you believe it? (h/t SewallBeach)
KU- Beaty out (h/t TSchek), Les Miles in play (h/t nik)

Possibles:

USC- Helton on thin ice, Jack Del Rio rumors (h/t onealcd)
UCONN- Edsall not winning
Louisville- Petrino not only not winning, getting blown out.
CU- Who knows, byut the natives are restless (probably will be its own thread if something concrete happens).
Rutgers- Chris Ash
Illinois- Lovie Smith
UNC- Larry Fedora
Okie Lite- The Mullet man

Possibles are largely guesses based on coaches who have been at their respective schools for a while and not winning much.

Georgia Tech is another one I wonder about.....Methinks Paul Johnson really needs a bowl appearance or he's done.

And Mac went 1 win, 5 wins, 10 wins at a more difficult place to win. Both were great improvements and on positive trajectories. I’m not seeing how you can look at two similar 3 year samples and see more “substance” with Litrells performance or evidence he can “keep it rolling”.

Uh-huh, and I think we can poke holes in every single realistic candidate we talk about in this context-Jeff Tedford, Seth Littrell, Blake Anderson, Jimmy Lake, Greg Schiano.....whoever.

As far as the P5 openings-this is what I could see. Tell me if you think I'm missing any:
Big 10-Maryland, Illinois, Rutgers, maybe Ohio State?
ACC-Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Louisville
SEC-Vanderbilt, and who the hell knows what Auburn will do?
Big 12-Kansas, K-State
Pac 12-USC, Colorado

I don't think you can take into account stuff like what happened at Maryland or somebody like David Shaw going to the NFL, but how much of that will happen, and how many names on that list (don't really see one other than USC-and they've got a hard-on for Del Rio) have a solid QB (I'm thinking he'll come back-don't really hear much about him going to pro) and a player like Shenault for a year? This is going to be an attractive job.

Last edited:
Anyone know if there are rumblings of UNC firing Fedora? Getting him was considered a bit of a coup when they hired him and they gave him a huge extension a couple years ago, but the program has absolutely tanked since then.

Does not sound like there is momentum to fire him. Potentially going 5-19 over two seasons and keeping his job. Yikes.

A lot is riding on that KU hire...not only new facilities but to also get ready for a potential Big Ten move.

A lot is riding on that KU hire...not only new facilities but to also get ready for a potential Big Ten move.

i think the B1G would be happy enough to get a hoops blue blood that has a money maker AD based on that (somehow).....an AAU university (which used to be B1G criteria), and more than tolerate having a football loser to prop up the other mediocre to bad west division teams (would be appealing to those member schools for sure).

all of that, if they can get OU (which is the rumor from my OU step-dad that since Boren retired the new prez/admins are leaning Big in realignment....supposedly Boren favored the Pac with Texas idea. what people say in Norman). OU football/KU hoops is a pretty strong add***.....even if you have to eat KU's football ambivalence and OU's not great academics.

now, if OU is still joined at the hip to OSU B1G might be less interested.....i don't know where that stands.

***very strong add in this "round 2" of realignment if it happens. i've seen Houston and Boise mentioned as serious Pac additions on this board.....compared to KU hoops/OU football?

Last edited:
One name I haven’t heard getting any attention for like a G5 job is Troy Walters. Am I missing something or does anyone think after this year and probably one more year at ****braska he will get looks that way?

Don't post premium content, guys.
Sorry.. thought it was alright since it was just a snippet for USC, not the whole thing.

General idea is Feldman has sources saying USC AD and higher ups are backing Helton to stay and they think coaching changes from a couple weeks ago will be a positive.

Sorry.. thought it was alright since it was just a snippet for USC, not the whole thing.

General idea is Feldman has sources saying USC AD and higher ups are backing Helton to stay and they think coaching changes from a couple weeks ago will be a positive.
Oh my god that is awesome.

One name I haven’t heard getting any attention for like a G5 job is Troy Walters. Am I missing something or does anyone think after this year and probably one more year at ****braska he will get looks that way?

He's the OC (not even sure who calls their plays) on a 2-7 team that lost to a Sun Belt team earlier this year. He's not going anywhere......even if the Nubs really are the greatest 2-7 team in the history of football.

He's the OC (not even sure who calls their plays) on a 2-7 team that lost to a Sun Belt team earlier this year. He's not going anywhere......even if the Nubs really are the greatest 2-7 team in the history of football.
Yes, but I’m looking at the offensive production they had at UCF which was absurd and it is still true the Nub offense has been playing pretty darn well the second half of the season.

Yes, but I’m looking at the offensive production they had at UCF which was absurd and it is still true the Nub offense has been playing pretty darn well the second half of the season.

Yes, but we can't forget the fact that they lost 6 in a row to start the season.

Another nugget from footballscoop.com that belongs up here-SIAP: More and more buzz that Darth Snyder will announce that this season will be it at K-State. Sad. I'll miss the (Insert name of random bowl K-State played in 15 years ago) bowl jackets.

Last edited:

good point but i'd say UCF's continued success diminishes his lustre. he's still carrying 2-7 around....imo.

texas tech connections got gardener mishew for leach.......minshew was recruited to ECU by lincoln riley. not exactly small time results.

be nice if our tech guy had those same connects.

for that poster that said "Leach gets qb's from nowhere". i sort of agree in that about half the OC's in Texas are Mike Leach guys but Lincoln Riley and Minshew is not nowhere.

Heh. I just recognize it as a vital state for CU success.

My top choice is Jimmy Lake by a good margin.
I like Jimmy Lake as well, though he comes with much more risk than the other options since he has only been DC a year. Does his relative lack of experience concern you?
Whoever the next HC is, he has to put recruiting as a priority and Lake would do that.

I am intrigued by Major Applewhite. He may be a little raw as a HC, but he has deep recruiting ties to the entire state of Texas. He also spent a year under Saban at 'Bama.

My concern with Lake would be his inexperience as a head coach. He hasn’t, to my knowledge, put together a staff before.

There’s no denying his successes, though. Dude is good at what he does.

I like Jimmy Lake as well, though he comes with much more risk than the other options since he has only been DC a year. Does his relative lack of experience concern you?
Whoever the next HC is, he has to put recruiting as a priority and Lake would do that.

I do not view his inexperience as a big detriment.

I am intrigued by Major Applewhite. He may be a little raw as a HC, but he has deep recruiting ties to the entire state of Texas. He also spent a year under Saban at 'Bama.

Is it the Houston job or Applewhite?

I do not view his inexperience as a big detriment.

Is it the Houston job or Applewhite?
Seems like you can get all of those positives from Applewhite by hiring his OC (for example) or another guy with deep Texas connections as your OC. No need to risk so much at the head coach position.

Back