What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 NCAA Skiing Championships Thread (Buffs hosting in Steamboat, Wed. 3/7-Sat. 3/10)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Creating this thread to cover and comment on this year's Championships. We can add more information (schedule, viewing and live timing links, etc.) as they get closer, as well as, of course, following once the racing actually begins next Wednesday.

1st, a BIG congrats to the Buffs for being selected to send a full team!

Hope some folks with the time and interest can make it up to Steamboat to root the team on!

Per the articles linked to below (and one of the tweets), the Buffs are one of eight teams selected to send the maximum 12 skiers to the Championships (with Middlebury College almost being a 9th, as they're sending 11).

Selection Article-

Direct link - http://cubuffs.com/news/2018/2/26/skiing-buffs-announce-team-for-ncaa-championships.aspx

"
BOULDER — The University of Colorado qualified a full 12-skier squad for the 2018 NCAA Skiing Championships that the Buffaloes are hosting March 7-10 at Howelsen Hill and Mount Werner in Steamboat Springs, Colo.

The NCAA announced Monday the 74 men and 74 women from 23 schools that were selected to participate in the championships.

Colorado was one of eight schools that qualified a full 12-skier squad. Among them, six came out of the West (Alaska Anchorage, Denver, Montana State, New Mexico and Utah join Colorado) and two from the East (Dartmouth and Vermont).

CU's NCAA squad consists of nine skiers who have competed at the NCAA Championships before, making a combined 16 appearances with four individual national titles. CU also boosts the top NCAA qualifier out of the West region in Ola Johansen and Tonje Trulsrud, both alpine skiers. The Buffs also have one Olympian on their squad, as senior Petra Hyncicova has returned from PyeongChang and will make her fourth NCAA appearance.

The Buffaloes seek their 21st national championship in school history, having last won the title in 2015 when it was hosted in Lake Placid. The last national championship that Colorado won when it was hosted in the West was back in 2006 at Steamboat Springs.

Participants are selected on a regional basis from two designated regions for Alpine skiing (East and West Regions) and three designated regions for Nordic skiing (Central, East and West Regions). Bids are awarded to regions using a formula determined by the skiing committee. A maximum of 12 student-athletes (three per gender per discipline) may participate from an institution.

Alpine events will run Wednesday, March 7 (giant slalom at Mount Werner) and Friday, March 9 (night slalom at Howelsen Hill). Nordic events will be held Thursday, March 8 and Saturday, March 10 at Howelsen Hill.

A look at each of the 12 Buffs selected for the 2018 NCAA Skiing Championships:
"
_________________________________________________________________________________________

NCAA.com article on their Championships selection - https://www.ncaa.com/news/skiing/ar...ing-committee-selects-2018-championship-field

________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit- Other basic information (schedule, viewing and live timing links, etc.)-

Event homepage (Links to schedule, live streams, timing, hopefully scoring, etc.) - http://cubuffs.com/sports/2018/2/12/2018-ncaa-skiing-championships.aspx

Copied from that homepage (as of late evening, 3/6)-
Schedule of Events

Wednesday, March 7, 2018Time/Links
Men's Giant Slalom9:00 AM | Watch Live | Live Timing | Results
Women's Giant Slalom12:30 PM | Watch Live | Live Timing | Results
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Thursday, March 8, 2018Time/Links
Women's 5K Classical9:00 AM | Watch Live | Live Timing
Men's 10K Classical10:30 AM | Watch Live | Live Timing
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Friday, March 9, 2018Time/Links
Women's Slalom6:45 PM (First Run at Howelsen Hill; Second Run ETA 9:00 PM)
Watch Live | Live Timing
Men's Slalom7:30 PM (First Run at Howelsen Hill; Second Run ETA 9:30 PM)
Watch Live | Live Timing
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Saturday, March 10, 2018Time/Links
Men's 20K Freestyle9:00 AM | Watch Live | Live Timing
Women's 15K Freestyle11:00 AM | Watch Live | Live Timing
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
NCAA® is a trademark of the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

Direct link to live timing for races-
Wednesday's Giant Slalom (GS) -
Men's - http://www.live-timing.com/race2.php?r=186911 OR (including team scoring) http://rmisaskiing.com/livea.php?r=1625
Women's - http://www.live-timing.com/race2.php?r=186910 OR (including team scoring) http://www.rmisaskiing.com/livea.php?r=1624

_________________________________________________________________________________

Edit- Copied from what I wrote in last year's NCAA championship thread-
"
SCORING- For reference, Just because I forget how skiing is scored every new year, wanted to quote what I copied in the thread for last year's NCAA championships -
"Scoring in NCAA Skiing- the top 30 finishers of each race earn points. The scores earned for the top 8 finishers from 1st through 8th are 40 (for 1st place)-37-34-31-29-27-25-23. After that, the 9th through 30th places earn one point less for each lower place finish, so for example 9th place earns 22 points, 10th place 21 points, etc., all the way down to the 30th place finisher, who earns 1 point."
(Note-at the NCAA championships, teams can only bring 3 athletes of each gender for each type of skiing (Alpine and Nordic), so all their finishes count. For earlier season races with more than 3 racers per team competing in each event, only the top 3 finishers for each team get their finishes counted when calculating their team's score.)"

Note- I haven't heard of any changes to the scoring system this 2018 season, but will update the above if I later find out there HAVE been changes.
"

Last edited:
Always assume most people interested already see these things, but just in case, wanted to mention there are a few fun offerings for fans and/ or alums taking place before and during the Championships-

This Saturday at Eldora-

During the championships-
http://www.cvent.com/events/01-alum...094ca90de1438ca0b2729a4723b61b.aspx?RefID=fbi

"
The CU Ski Team is hosting the NCAA Championships in Steamboat Springs in March. Join us and support the Buffs as they vie for their 21st national title!

The Alumni Association is hosting complimentary hospitality tents in Gondola Square on Friday and Saturday afternoon, plus a Buffs Bash with a view of the slalom races at Howelson Hill, and a Steamboat Sendoff after the championships end on Saturday.

Friday, March 9:
Hospitality Tent

Gondola Square
Noon-2 p.m.
Free CU swag and snacks

Buffs Bash
Aurum Food & Wine
6-10 p.m.
Cost: $15 per person, includes appetizers, cash bar and a special appearance by Chip

Saturday, March 10:
Hospitality Tent

Gondola Square
Noon-2 p.m.
Free CU swag and snacks

Steamboat Sendoff
Carl's Tavern
5-7 p.m.
Cost: $10 per person, includes appetizers and cash bar
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, congrats to the large number of Buffs receiving conference honors-

"
SALT LAKE CITY — The Rocky Mountain Intercollegiate Skiing Association released Tuesday its 2018 All-RMISA teams and 10 Colorado Buffaloes were selected while CU skiers Ola Johansen and Tonje Trulsrud were named the league's MVP's for men's and women's alpine, respectively.

Of CU's 10 selections, eight earned first-team honors while the other two were on the second-team. Colorado's eight first-team selections are the most of any school in the RMISA.

The 10 All-RMISA honorees are also the most since CU also posted 10 in 2013 and the eight first-team selections are the most since CU also had eight in 2009.

CU becomes just the second school in the last 10 years to sweep the alpine MVP awards. Denver also did so in 2015 with Monica Hubner (women's alpine) and Sebastian Brigovic (men's alpine).

Colorado's first-team All-RMISA selections:
Alvar Alev (men's Nordic), Hedda Baangman (women's Nordic), Nora Christensen (women's alpine), Petra Hyncicova (women's Nordic), Ola Johansen (men's alpine), Anne Siri Lervik (women's Nordic), Petter Reistad (men's Nordic), Tonje Trulsrud (women's alpine)

Colorado's second-team All-RMISA selections:
Sondre Bollum (men's Nordic), Christina Rolandsen (women's Nordic).

Hyncicova has now been named All-RMISA all four years of her career. She drew first-team honors in 2015, 2017 and 2018 and was a second-team selection in 2016.

Johansen, Reistad and Trulsrud pick up their third consecutive first-team honors while Rolandsen repeats on the first team for a second-straight season. Lervik was a second-team selection as a freshman last year.
"

In past years, the NCAA has provided live streaming coverage of the championship. I'll see if I can find a link for this year sometime in the next few days (or someone else not posting on a phone can find & post).

In past years, the NCAA has provided live streaming coverage of the championship. I'll see if I can find a link for this year sometime in the next few days (or someone else not posting on a phone can find & post).

I know in past years, links by day have popped up on the NCAA website live video page, but nothing showing up yet. The link for the 1st day's schedule if/ when streams get scheduled is https://www.ncaa.com/liveschedule/2018/03/07, with later days hopefully accessed just by changing the date in the web address. (I seem to remember in past years the links came up pretty last minute, so hopefully the fact there's nothing showing up yet isn't an indication there won't be video this year.)

Just a few miscellaneous things (media provided I haven't referenced yet, etc.)-

• Re live streaming, just noticed the NCAA tournament selection article I linked to in the original post DOES say that the NCAA is streaming this year's championships, and the link I provided in my last post should have links to the individual race streams by the time the Championships start on Wednesday. (Or, to quote directly from the article - "This year’s skiing championships will be webcast live on NCAA.com. Visit http://www.ncaa.com/liveschedule to watch all the action.")
  • Nice little basic primer on the upcoming Championships- the different disciplines, and how collegiate races are run, and scored, in general-

• Fun way to present an Alpine skiing Q & A (while on a ski lift heading to the next run).-

• Article on Alpine team training for the championships, and some of the Buff "big names" looking to produce BIG results this Championships-

• Short video of today's CU Day at Eldora. (Looks like fun, and of course, ALWAYS a winning decision to include things for the kids.)-

• Finally, doesn't look like Chip knows how to slalom (But props anyways for being able to ski down the hill in "uniform")-

Nice detailed final Championships preview article (by David Plati), with LOTS of numbers on the history of the skiing championships, as well as a detailed schedule, etc..

Looks like the Championships are scheduled to start tomorrow morning (pasted (also below) from the below article) - "The GIANT SLALOM races will open the NCAA Championships on Wednesday, March 7, with the men's first run at 9:00 a.m. MST, followed by its second run at around 10:30 a.m.; the women's runs follow at 12:30 p.m. and 2:00 p.m., respectively.".

Direct link - http://cubuffs.com/news/2018/3/6/skiing-colorado-skiers-set-for-ncaa-championships.aspx

"
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS — The 65th annual NCAA Skiing Championships are set to begin here Wednesday, with 20-time champion Colorado looking for a ninth title under head coach Richard Rokos.

Here is everything you need to know about the 2018 NCAA Skiing Championship.

Quickly
The 65th NCAA Ski Championships are set for March 7-10 in Steamboat Springs, the 14th time the state of Colorado is hosting the event with the last six all in Steamboat (dating back to 1979; the University of Colorado is the official host and has won six times when the event has been in the Buffs' home state ... The Buffaloes have won 20 national championships in skiing: 11 men's (1959-60-72-73-74-75-76-77-78-79-82), eight coed (1991-95-98-99-2006-11-13-15) and one women's (1982, AIAW) ... CU has finished first (2006-11-13-15) or second (2008-09-10-17) in nine of the last 12 NCAAs (third in '07 and '12, fourth in '14) ... The skiers are gunning for CU's 12th national championship since 2000, as CU has five in men's cross country (2002, 2004, 2006, 2013, 2014) and two in women's cross country (2000, 2004) to go with the 2006, 2011, 2013 and 2015 ski crowns (all titles transferred to the Pac-12 count, which stands at 504) ... CU has finished in the top three in 71 of its last 76 ski meets (a school-record 31 straight is within this run); the Buffs have finished first or second 52 of their last 62 times out (29 wins) ... Of CU's 20 ski titles, 10 have been won in the west and 10 in the east ... The University of Vermont will host the 2019 NCAA Championships (March 6-9); Montana State will host the 2020 affair and Middlebury in 2021 ... Official website for these championships: www.CUBuffs.com/NCAAski, with a live stream of all events at http://www.ncaa.com/liveschedule.

The Schedule
The GIANT SLALOM races will open the NCAA Championships on Wednesday, March 7, with the men's first run at 9:00 a.m. MST, followed by its second run at around 10:30 a.m.; the women's runs follow at 12:30 p.m. and 2:00 p.m., respectively. The CLASSICAL races open the Nordic events on Thursday, March 8, with the women's 5-kilometer race at 9 a.m. and men's 10k at 10:30 a.m. The SLALOM races are set for Friday night (a Steamboat tradition), March 9, with the women's first run at 6:45 p.m., followed by the men's first run at 7:30 p.m.; the second runs will follow at 9 p.m. for the women and 9:30 p.m. for the men. The FREESTYLE races will finish off the NCAA meet on Saturday, March 10: the men are first with their 20-kilometer run at 9 a.m., with the women's 15k to follow at 11 a.m. Flower ceremonies follow each event, and the awards presentation is set for about Noon on Saturday. (All times listed are mountain)
"
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Especially as I get older, love (benign) traditions-

If I'd known about the procession of teams I could have been there to watch. I walked thru Gondola Square maybe 45 minutes earlier than that video.

Found live timing links for tomorrow's GS races.

Men's Giant Slalom (1st run scheduled for 9:00; 2nd for 10:30) - http://www.live-timing.com/race2.php?r=186911
Women's Giant Slalom (1st run scheduled for 12:30; 2nd for 2:00) - http://www.live-timing.com/race2.php?r=186910

A few notes -
  • If I remember correctly, the NCAA also, at least in prior years, had a nice consolidated live timing and scoring page (here's last year's- http://barttiming.com/eisa/Results17/ncaa17.htm), which I would assume they'll repeat this year, but I haven't found it yet. That page, which I'll add a link to for this championships when I find it, is great in that it also keeps up to date team scoring as the various races end.
  • Looks like the 2nd and 3rd skiers on both the Buff men's and women's sides will have to work through not the greatest bib/ start #'s, with the 2nd and 3rd men not starting until #'s 24th and 28th (out of 34), while the 2nd and 3rd women aren't starting until 29th and 33rd (also out of 34).
  • Appears the defending champion Utes are going to have to overcome not fielding a full women's Alpine team (assume due to an injury or two?), as they only have 2 (out of an allowed 3) on the starting list for tomorrow's GS race.

Last edited:
About 45 minutes until the scheduled start of the 1st race of the Championships! Go Buffs!

(Due to scheduling/ time issues, I'll probably be fading in and out of reporting on these championships, so anyone who sees anything is, of course, welcome to contribute. I do hope to catch, at minimum, the 1st run of the men's GS today.)

Although it's all about the 2nd runs as far as awarding points go, nice 1st runs for the Buffs, as Johansen finishes 3rd (close to his 2 bib #), while both the Buffs with the high bib #'s improved significantly on those numbers, with bib #28 Ketterer finishing the 1st run up in 5th, while #24 bib Luuko is in 9th.

2nd runs scheduled to start in about 45 minutes.

Nice 1st results for the Buffs. Although they lose a little in the 2nd runs, they still are showing, unofficially, coming in 2nd as a team with 82 points in the men's GS, behind only Dartmouth with 92 points. Other assumed main competitors for the overall team championships and their unofficial points- Vermont- 63, Utah- 57 and Denver - 46.

Note- also, the announcer briefly came back on the stream a bit ago to let folks know the women's GS 1st run is now scheduled to start a little later (12:40).

This has been fun.... standing in the nice warm condo in the sun inside the door to the balcony and watching the skiers zipping down the race course. We can see maybe 2/3 of the course from our condo. Then checking on the live timing link to see who I just watched and how they did.

Solid 1st day overall for the Buffs in what last year was the Buffs weakest event, as the women get 48 points in the Giant Slalom (vs. 30 last year). Overall, it's still CLOSE between the 4 top ranked teams going into tomorrow's 1st Nordic races.

Go Buffs!

Nice!

Day 1 is where we lost it last year. That's a good result for our Buffs.

Great day and very close. Any only of the tops can pull away but have a good feeling with some of our strongest events yet to come

Go Buffs!

Article after today's action-

Direct link - http://cubuffs.com/news/2018/3/7/skiing-tight-opening-day-was-a-good-one-for-the-buffalo-skiers.aspx

"
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. — Led by the men's alpine team accomplishing a feat that had been done just two previous times in the last 30 years, the Colorado Buffaloes opened up the 2018 NCAA Skiing Championships with 130 team points at Steamboat Resort to sit in second place after the running of the giant slalom races Wednesday.

It was one of the tightest opening days to a national championship in quite some time. Vermont took the lead with 134 points, but its four-point day-one lead over CU represents the smallest margin between first and second since 2006 (1½-points), and smallest between first and third since the sport went coed in 1983. Denver sits in third place with 129 points.

"It was a very good race, we had fantastic conditions and I don't think we could ask for more," head coach Richard Rokos said.

NOTEWORTHY: With David Ketterer and Max Luukko tying for seventh place, it marked the first time in the coed era (1983 on) that Colorado had two skiers tie in any position in any discipline.

WHAT IT MEANS: It was a good opening for the Buffaloes by being near the top of the leaderboard in what could be considered the weakest of the four events.

UP NEXT: The championships switch to Nordic racing on Thursday where the 5/10K classic events take place. The women's' 5K is the first race, starting at 9 a.m., and the men's 10K race follows at 11.

QUOTEABLE
Head Coach Richard Rokos

Overall thoughts on the opening day of the championships
"I was actually very pleased with the guys' performance. They did above standard in placing all three in top seven or whatever you call the tie. It was very encouraging. Tonje had a little bad luck and I think it is in her ability to win the race, so on the second run she gave up something. Nora and Bella, they are better slalom skiers, so their time will come."
"
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Full results - https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.si...018/3/7/NCAA_Skiing_Championships_Results.pdf

Around 35 minutes until the scheduled start of the women's classic 5K sprint (with the 1st Buff scheduled off at around 9:14 in this staggered start race).

Unofficially looks like the Buffs win the women's classic 5K by a bit. With all racers in- CU with 85 points, DU 67, Utah 64, Dartmouth 53. (The leader after day 1, Vermont, a ways down the team list with 17 points.)

All 3 Buffs finish in the top 10, with sophomore Lervik in 2nd, senior Hyncicova in 5th and junior Rolandsen in 10th. Congrats to the 2 1st Team All-American honors and the one 2nd team honor!

Last edited:
Back