What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 NCAA Skiing Championships Thread (Buffs hosting in Steamboat, Wed. 3/7-Sat. 3/10)

Looks like the men came in a relatively narrow 3rd place. DU wins with 73, Utah 2nd at 69, the Buffs at 63. Dartmouth gets 49, so will be moving down to 4th. Edit- Buffs adjusted down 1 to 62.

So, overall, if the results become official and I can add right in my head, the Buffs should retain the lead at the end of day two by ~9 points over DU and ~39 over Utah.

Last edited:
Congrats to Buff junior Reistad for earning a podium 2nd place finish, and freshman Bollum for earning 2nd team All-American honors in his 1st NCAA championship race with a 7th place finish!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great coverage, Aztec. I don't follow the Olympic sports closely but love all the updates you provide.

I know our day 1 events were our weakest, but does anyone know generically how our team stacks up these last two days?

I know our day 1 events were our weakest, but does anyone know generically how our team stacks up these last two days?
These are the next events up
upload_2018-3-8_20-40-56.png

Doing some research, it's really hard to compare teams across conferences. I can only find rankings of teams within each of the 3 conferences for each event.

For the women's slalom, we are the top team in the conference, so we are definitely one of the favorites to win it.

For the men's slalom, this is actually our worst event and we finished 4th in the conference, so we'll have to hope for the best here.

For both Men's and Women's freestyle, we were easily the best team in conference and one of the favorites to win it.

So, it looks like as long as we don't mess it up we should win, I think.

These are the next events up
View attachment 25148

Doing some research, it's really hard to compare teams across conferences. I can only find rankings of teams within each of the 3 conferences for each event.

For the women's slalom, we are the top team in the conference, so we are definitely one of the favorites to win it.

For the men's slalom, this is actually our worst event and we finished 4th in the conference, so we'll have to hope for the best here.

For both Men's and Women's freestyle, we were easily the best team in conference and one of the favorites to win it.

So, it looks like as long as we don't mess it up we should win, I think.
Awesome. Thanks so much, cmgoods!

Just to throw my 2 cents in (admittedly over-valued at that)-
In short, I'd say fans. like in pretty much any sport, shouldn't take earlier season results as any excuse to fall into "we've got this (victory) now" thinking until the last skier in the last race of the championships has finished.
(I remember being pretty surprised at the time when DU beat CU in freestyle Nordic at the conference championships (http://www.rmisaskiing.com/meet.php?m=245), as it was the Buffs' strongest and Pioneers' weakest events during the regular season (as cmgoods' post above shows).)

And, of course, in Alpine, ANYTHING can happen***, so who knows.
(***Although they're in 4th so obviously still in it, but if they can't come back for a podium finish (if not win), Dartmouth will probably definitely feel the need for a little "what could have been" post- championship reflection, as they had a TOUGH women's GS. 2 of their skiers (including the top-ranked GS skier in the East), didn't complete their 2nd runs after being in solid 6th and 11th places after their 1st runs. That led to them only earning 4.5 points overall (from their 3rd skier) in that race, and they now have quite a bit of work to do (especially to catch the Buffs and Pios). IF they had been able to finish their 2nd runs and keep their 1st round position, Dartmouth would probably be VERY close to, if not in, 1st place.)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And now for something completely different....

Article on today's races. (Sounds like 2 Buffs had tough things, of varying degrees, occur during their races; makes it more impressive they still got the overall points win for the day.) -

Direct link - http://cubuffs.com/news/2018/3/8/skiing-buffs-take-lead-in-tight-ncaa-championship-race.aspx

"
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. — The 2018 NCAA Skiing Championship heated up Thursday under the sun at Howelsen Hill where the Colorado Buffaloes were able to take over the top of the leaderboard at the midway point of the national championships.

In the first Nordic races of the four-day event, Colorado won the women's 5K classical to start the day and then finished third in the men's 10K in the early afternoon. Overall, the Buffs scored 146 points Thursday and now has 276 total points after 4-of-8 events to hold a slim nine-point advantage over the Denver Pioneers who are right on the Buffs'tail.

"It is pretty exciting right now and no one is running away with the trophy," head coach Richard Rokos said.

Colorado earned four All-America honors on Thursday and saw two Buffs get up on the podium. Anne Siri Lervik, in her first NCAA Championship race, finished second in the women's race to start the day and then Petter Reistad also finished second in the men's race. Both earned first-team All-America honors; for Reistad it is his fifth career All-America honor (three first-team), but first time he got up on the podium in his third and final NCAA Championship.

Petra Hyncicova finished sixth in the women's race and Sondre Bollum seventh in the men's in his first NCAA race. Hyncicova, the defending classical and freestyle NCAA Champion and 2018 Olympian, earned the sixth All-America honor of her career (three first-team, three second-team).

"I'm happy with the team, it was an awesome day," head Nordic coach Bruce Cranmer said. "It looks like we are in the lead and still have a lot of fighting left to do on both the alpine and Nordic side. We are only halfway there, but at least we don't have a big hole to dig ourselves out of it. It is tight and it will be interesting."

UP NEXT: Friday will mark the final alpine day of the championship, and one of the most exciting with the night slalom races. They will be held at Howelsen Hill with fireworks kicking off the event at 6:45 p.m.
"

Last edited:
Less than an hour before the beginning of what looks like a fun evening of Chip, fireworks and slalom.

Buff women with safe runs stand in 7th, 12th and 19th place after the 1st run of the night slalom. Main rival DU, if they can come close to repeating their 1st run results, stand to have a big points result here, as they stand 1st, 2nd and 10th after run 1.

As with the women, the men safely complete their 1st runs and are in 4th, 14th and 24th. DU also with the (thankfully much more narrow) lead after their 1st runs in this race.

As long as nobody pulls too far ahead in the standings after this event, we should be in good shape

As long as nobody pulls too far ahead in the standings after this event, we should be in good shape

Buffs definitely going to have to have some nice 2nd runs (and/ or a DU slip or two), or the Pioneers could be in scary- good position for the team Championship. (As all ski fans have seen time and time again, ANYTHING can happen in Alpine skiing- but If there wasn't a second run and points were awarded off 1st runs, the Pioneers would have earned 58 more points in these slalom races after those 1st runs than the Buffs, and would be 49 points ahead overall going into tomorrow's final races.)

DU loses a LITTLE ground (from their 1st runs) in the 2nd run of the women's slalom, and CU gains a LITTLE, but DU unofficially looking to take the lead (around 16 points overall?) after the women's slalom as they earn 91 points in the race, while CU shows in 3rd with 66 points. The teams in 4th and 3rd overall (Dartmouth (39 points) and Utah (32 points)) follow farther back, so Buffs are more safely ahead in 2nd than they were at the start of the day.

Last edited:
Unofficially, looks like the Buffs are losing another 10 points to DU in the men's giant slalom, who look to have swept the team portion of the women's and men's slalom races. So, I'm guesstimating DU will have around a 26 point lead going into tomorrow's races, the long freestyle Nordic. On the bright-side, those races were the strongest for the Buffs through the year, so the championships are not over.

In addition to the live timing links in the above tweet, there is also live timing available at https://www.sportstats.us/display-results.xhtml?raceid=96354&status=results&category=Men (for 9:00 men's race) and https://www.sportstats.us/display-results.xhtml?raceid=96355&status=results&category=Women (For 11:00 women's).
(The difference I could see is that these links show 5K interval results, while the one's in the tweet don't. Once the races are completed, however, the tweet's will definitely be better, as they list individual and calculate team points.)

Looks like DU extended the lead by 5 points. Need to have the ladies bring it home.

Buffs finish 2,9,10 for 80 pts
DU finished 3,4,7 for 85

Du with a 31 pt lead

Yeesh EDIT. Du with 90 to take a 36 pt lead. I suck at math

Unofficially, looking like DU gets the championship as they end up 2nd in the women's freestyle race by one point, behind Dartmouth, with the Buffs close behind another 5 points back. Congrats to the Pioneers.

Know the Buff's team often takes a championships or bust mentality sometimes, but they were a CONVINCING 2nd this year, and generally had solid performances they should be proud of. (All 6 CU racers today, for example, finished in the top 11- Pretty dang good.) DU just had an overall more solid to great Championships with not much of anything I remember going wrong, while the Buffs just had a few "off" things happen. (in most championships a few would often be good enough to still possibly win it all.)

Article about the last day of the Championships. (Hadn't seen how dominant DU's point total; easily the best performance under the new scoring format.)-

Direct link - http://cubuffs.com/news/2018/3/10/skiing-buffs-finish-second-at-ncaa-ski-championships.aspx

"
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. — The 2018 NCAA Skiing Championships came to a close here Saturday with the men's and women's freestyle races at Howelsen Hill where the Colorado Buffaloes finished as runner-up at the 65h annual national championship.

Denver held a 26-point lead going into the fourth and final day of the championships and pulled away from CU on Saturday to win its third title in the last five years. The Pioneers scored 604 points, the most in the five seasons at a NCAA Championship in the current scoring format that went into effect in 2014, as DU claimed its 24th overall national title in skiing.

Colorado has now finished as the runner-up eight times, with eight titles, in 28 seasons under head coach Richard Rokos. All-time overall, CU has 20 championships and 13 runner-up finishes in the sport, including three straight second place showings since its last title in 2015.

CU finished with 563 points, the most the Buffs have scored at an NCAA Championship in the current scoring format.

"It's honorable, but someone scored a little more," Rokos said. "DU, they deserve it. They definitely have the strongest team, very well balanced. Not to diminish out effort, we were there, we have a good team and did pretty much even in all disciplines, but not as much as DU.

"It was a good year, evaluation of the season was we were there on any given day. In the end of it, we were a little short."

Colorado's point total would have been enough to win the title in three out of the last four years.

CU claimed five more All-America honors on Saturday – three in the men's 20K freestyle race and two in the women's 15K freestyle. That gave Colorado a total of 17 All-America accolades earned this winter, which ties with DU for the most by any school. Eleven of the 12 Buffaloes here earned All-America honors in the meet, four netting first-team status.
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Full results (ALL races of the championships) - https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.si...18/3/10/NCAA_Skiing_Championships_Results.pdf

Post-Championship Notes - http://cubuffs.com/news/2018/3/10/cu-skiing-2018-ncaa-championship-notes.aspx

Today Highlights-

Back