What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 Class Grade

What grade would you give the 2020 recruiting class?

• A

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • A-

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • B+

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • B

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • B-

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • C+

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C-

• D

• F

• Total voters
I went with A-. Relatively speaking, MT did a great job. Our team has only gotten bigger, faster and more talented since he took over. The staff wasn’t perfect with the DBs but Clayton and Harris were great wins. Alfano is what puts this class over the top for me- he has the potential to be a program changer and an all time great for not only CU but potentially across the cfb world

84.5 - Solid B. Excellent step in the right direction. Next year needs to maintain the top tier of the class while improving the bottom tier.

I went with A-. Relatively speaking, MT did a great job. Our team has only gotten bigger, faster and more talented since he took over. The staff wasn’t perfect with the DBs but Clayton and Harris were great wins. Alfano is what puts this class over the top for me- he has the potential to be a program changer and an all time great for not only CU but potentially across the cfb world
My thoughts exactly

tenor.gif

I will give it an easy a based upon where we have been and what we are accustomed to recruiting. Based upon playing for PAC 12 championships and more I would give it an easy B.

This is as goofy an exercise as grading a draft class on the Sunday after the draft.....but I'll play. I'm gonna go solid B for right now, but let's see what happens when we get these kids here.

Solid B which I think is about the best you can hope for coming off a 5-7 season. I think several guys are underrated, Lewis, Wray, Lee, and Williams all could be 4 star guys imo. The only player I am not fully sold on is Lichtenhan. But if you're going to take a chance on someone take it on 6'8 345.

Solid B which I think is about the best you can hope for coming off a 5-7 season. I think several guys are underrated, Lewis, Wray, Lee, and Williams all could be 4 star guys imo. The only player I am not fully sold on is Lichtenhan. But if you're going to take a chance on someone take it on 6'8 345.
Exactly where I'm at. When we take a risk on a raw, developmental recruit he better be a big guy or a fast guy. I'm burnt out on years of seeing the bottom of our class filled with "high character APR warriors who might be slow and undersized but were good HS players." There has to be upside or we end up where Hawkins left us wen his blue chips didn't pan out.

I gave it an A because we are coming off our 3rd 5-7 season and been irrelevant for 2 decades. This won't be good enough once we are consistently in bowl games...we need to be top 15-20 if that's going to be the case.

B. The geographic footprint of class has a good balance (obviously more top tier Colorado talent always welcome). I hope the staff can raise the bar at the bottom of the classes in the future. Projects and diamonds in the rough are fine, pointed out above, but not as core strategy to develop the squad. I like the 247 class average calculation when thinking about this because it gives a snapshot of quality minus the quantity. A jump from an average in the 85's to 87/88 should be the expectation in the next few years.

If I was grading on a curve I'd give it a solid B, all things considered. Seeing as how the games ain't scored on a curve it comes out a C. 65 teams in the power 5 means that the top 13 get an A, 14-26 is a B then 27 to 39 is a C. We had the 35th best class in the nation. Mel really needs to recruit at a much higher level if we are to compete for a PAC 12 championship.

Sure as **** didn't feel like a C class...

I appreciate the bumping up the floor perspective as future improvement, but this is an A class as relevant to the depths of **** this Buffs team has been through over the last 15 years.

A class all the way. Alfano has 4 years left so count him in, fully. He makes this a top 25-30 class, which is an A+ relative to where we've been.

Feels like momentum from the 1990's. The Buffs got better as the season went on. Attitudes are changing on and off the field, in recruiting and everywhere.

A commitment on national TV. #1 overall recruit from last year. Fauria and other underrated legacies coming in. Studs like Berry in places we've traditionally been very weak. Jerry Rice's son, who appears to be a grown man. My buddies beast nephew a dual threat QB1!

Bring it!

A class all the way. Alfano has 4 years left so count him in, fully. He makes this a top 25-30 class, which is an A+ relative to where we've been.

Feels like momentum from the 1990's. The Buffs got better as the season went on. Attitudes are changing on and off the field, in recruiting and everywhere.

A commitment on national TV. #1 overall recruit from last year. Fauria and other underrated legacies coming in. Studs like Berry in places we've traditionally been very weak. Jerry Rice's son, who appears to be a grown man. My buddies beast nephew a dual threat QB1!

Bring it!

You can't have it both ways. Either Alfano is a ridiculously talented transfer or he has four years left.

You can't have it both ways. Either Alfano is a ridiculously talented transfer or he has four years left.
Imo the whole argument about how we should count alfano is kind of pointless. We can all agree Mel recruited Alfano here which takes a certain level of skill we haven’t had on the coaching staff in awhile and he’s the type of prospect the Buffs haven’t had in a decade.

Alfano is a huge get. Can’t wait to see his impact on the field. But getting him as a transfer is a once-in-a-career transaction for a coach and I don’t think should be used to evaluate this class or how to assemble future classes.

Bring it!
FWIW, using Alfano's 2019 rating, he would've put the Buffs at 23 overall and 4th in the PAC if applied to 2020 rankings.

I'm not going to try to undersell how big of a get Alfano was.

However, it really doesn't have much to do with a recruiting grade since we don't have the tools to compare with other programs based on who transferred in or out. I don't consider transfers in my grade.

B+ or as I've learned recently a "strong" B.

Alfano was #1 prep player in his class. CUbuffs.com included him in their recruiting class to I will too. About a half a dozen guys in this class better then most any recruit CU has seen in many a long year. Only 3 guys I look at as settling and a couple Jucos's that appear to be depth guys. I also expect to see the QB in this class starting at some point this season, very possibly as soon as the CSU game.

I'm not going to try to undersell how big of a get Alfano was.

However, it really doesn't have much to do with a recruiting grade since we don't have the tools to compare with other programs based on who transferred in or out. I don't consider transfers in my grade.
You can easily look at other Pac 12 programs, particularly UCLA and Utah who are not that far ahead of CU in the rankings, and reasonably suggest that CU's class, including Alfano, was every bit as good if not better than both of those. I think there's some merit there because, in a vacuum, 7th in the Pac 12 and 35th in the country isn't good enough. Adding in a "newcomer" with the talent and rating of Alfano puts this "class" squarely in the top 33% of the conference which is where Tucker needs to live year in, year out.

Back