What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

This is a futures thing folks as Hawg1 mentions, manufacturing and distribution is still to be conquered.
The EUA docs have where, how and who can do these tests so far. It’s restricted as it always is in an emergency use auth.

And iirc, this is still a PCR test subject to vagaries associated testing timelines experienced with other PCR approaches.

optimally we need a highly sensitive and specific, point-of-care antigen test.

Last edited:
This is a futures thing folks as Hawg1 mentions, manufacturing and distribution is still to be conquered.

The one befit is Yale is open sourcing the testing protocol and it doesn't include a step that has resulted in shortages of chemical reagents that have been an issue to date. In theory that means this could be scaled up quickly (weeks not months) and at low cost around the country but we'll see if that really comes to fruition.

Please expand.
You disagree with each point, or you don't believe that Fox is leading a misinformation campaign? You've made it abundantly clear where you get your "facts" from.

This is not a politics or press thread, so I'll try to be brief. Like it or not, we are in a new age of journalism where outlets do not give any sense of equal time in probing both sides of an issue. In Cronkite's day they reported both sides, even if the news outlets personally gave more credence to one side. After Tet, Cronkite sort of went to the edge of journalism in sharing his conclusion to the effect that the 'US would not end the war as victors, rather it would have to be a negotiated solution as an honorable people who did the best that they could.' This was a gigantic step and a good one, however I believe Cronkite had more years and data available to draw his conclusion. Co-Vid is not similar, in fact it is way more complex and over a shorter time-span. Also, we now live in a very polarized journalistic world, which makes it incredibly tough to be a reasonably informed (i.e. just collect competing viewpoints) citizen.

IMO, CoVid has been a mass experiment from the beginning. Fox is not a massive disinformation campaign any more than CNN or other outlets. There have been differing and competing views about re-opening in the Co-Vid age from day one, and college football now happens to be at the forefront.

From my perspective, reopening during Co-Vid is simply a gigantic experiment, as Co-Vid still presents so many unknowns. It is about accepting risk, mitigating risk (i.e. taking certain measures), and then seeing what happens. That risk is balanced against other risks and the negative impacts associated with keeping things closed. First, essential businesses were tackled in areas in meat-packing, non-essential medical procedures, to air transportation, to opening restaurants. Each endeavor posed its own unique set of challenges. Now we have professional sports both in a bubble (NBA, NHL) and without fans (baseball, golf, car racing)--each is successful to differing degrees, but it is not a one-size-fits-all solution for sports.

Geographically and politically, Governors have taken vastly different approaches and one will not know which is right, wrong or even optimal for some time. I may be comfortable with trying certain things (i.e. having BVSD start with the hybrid model), but I do not really criticize our Governor, Health Department, School Board, Teachers, or other parents for their differing levels of comfort; and the final decision to start in-home learning. Simply put, the science is not available to make/insist on a "no-brainer" decision. IMO, the science is not clear cut and there is no certain time-frame for a vaccine... Therefore, as a country we are living in a large pitree dish of sorts. All the Governors are trying different approaches, which I believe to be a good thing--some rush to aggressively open things up and some cautiously keep things on lock-down. It takes decisions across the spectrum to see which one is most effective or more optimal than others. There will probably be no one right decision. Dealing with Co-Vid is one gigantic experiment of trial and error in testing the boundaries of Co-Vid through every segment of society. Bringing students back to campus in Colorado is one huge experiment, but IMO it is a necessary experiment. College football is the same thing.

It is right for segments of the news organizations to scrutinize the decisions, but you have to understand that there are two sides. To say one approach is "science driven," and another approach is not is overly simplistic and ignores the entire spectrum. There are costs--not just economic but societal costs in staying closed. For college football, the players, their parents and fans have been illuminating those costs and explaining their desire to play. That does not mean the PAC12 or B1B are right or wrong in their decision, or that the ACC, SEC, Big-12 and Notre Dame are right or wrong in their decision. Only time will tell how the risks v. benefits pay off.

The saliva test could be a game changer, but that is unlikely. Just like the heart study which is now being criticized--people minimizing or criticizing the study is not right or wrong, as that is how science evolves. Trial and error. In closing, it will be interesting to see where the conferences end up-- will the fall season be a success or massive failure? Will the SEC, ACC and B-12 reconsider? Will the B1G and Pac12 reconsider? Will the Spring season be a success of failure? --only time (trial and error) will tell. For the time being, I think all options will remain on the table for every conference.

I’m sure the ADs never did vote on anything. It’s not something they would vote on. This would fall squarely on the Presidents.

I think it is the Presidents that probably vote, however, I really think that the Governors have the final say on how they vote, as they are ultimately in charge of the health, safety and welfare of their particular state. I don't criticize the Governors as it is ultimately their heavy responsibility and frankly they earned their right by being voted in.

I'll try to be brief.

Like it or not, we are in a new age of journalism where outlets do not give any sense of equal time in probing both sides of an issue. In Cronkite's day they reported both sides, even if the news outlets personally gave more credence to one side. After Tet, Cronkite sort of went to the edge of journalism in sharing his conclusion to the effect that the 'US would not end the war as victors, rather it would have to be a negotiated solution as an honorable people who did the best that they could.' This was a gigantic step and a good one, however I believe Cronkite had more years and data available to draw his conclusion. Co-Vid is not similar, in fact it is way more complex and over a shorter time-span. Also, we now live in a very polarized journalistic world, which makes it incredibly tough to be a reasonably informed (i.e. just collect competing viewpoints) citizen.

IMO, CoVid has been a mass experiment from the beginning. Fox is not a massive disinformation campaign any more than CNN or other outlets. There have been differing and competing views about re-opening in the Co-Vid age from day one, and college football now happens to be at the forefront.

From my perspective, reopening during Co-Vid is simply a gigantic experiment, as Co-Vid still presents so many unknowns. It is about accepting risk, mitigating risk (i.e. taking certain measures), and then seeing what happens. That risk is balanced against other risks and the negative impacts associated with keeping things closed. First, essential businesses were tackled in areas in meat-packing, non-essential medical procedures, to air transportation, to opening restaurants. Each endeavor posed its own unique set of challenges. Now we have professional sports both in a bubble (NBA, NHL) and without fans (baseball, golf, car racing)--each is successful to differing degrees, but it is not a one-size-fits-all solution for sports.

Geographically and politically, Governors have taken vastly different approaches and one will not know which is right, wrong or even optimal for some time. I may be comfortable with trying certain things (i.e. having BVSD start with the hybrid model), but I do not really criticize our Governor, Health Department, School Board, Teachers, or other parents for their differing levels of comfort; and the final decision to start in-home learning. Simply put, the science is not available to make/insist on a "no-brainer" decision. IMO, the science is not clear cut and there is no certain time-frame for a vaccine... Therefore, as a country we are living in a large pitree dish of sorts. All the Governors are trying different approaches, which I believe to be a good thing--some rush to aggressively open things up and some cautiously keep things on lock-down. It takes decisions across the spectrum to see which one is most effective or more optimal than others. There will probably be no one right decision. Dealing with Co-Vid is one gigantic experiment of trial and error in testing the boundaries of Co-Vid through every segment of society. Bringing students back to campus in Colorado is one huge experiment, but IMO it is a necessary experiment. College football is the same thing.

It is right for segments of the news organizations to scrutinize the decisions, but you have to understand that there are two sides. To say one approach is "science driven," and another approach is not is overly simplistic and ignores the entire spectrum. There are costs--not just economic but societal costs in staying closed. For college football, the players, their parents and fans have been illuminating those costs and explaining their desire to play. That does not mean the PAC12 or B1B are right or wrong in their decision, or that the ACC, SEC, Big-12 and Notre Dame are right or wrong in their decision. Only time will tell how the risks v. benefits pay off.

The saliva test could be a game changer, but that is unlikely. Just like the heart study which is now being criticized--people minimizing or criticizing the study is not right or wrong, as that is how science evolves. Trial and error. In closing, it will be interesting to see where the conferences end up-- will the fall season be a success or massive failure? Will the SEC, ACC and B-12 reconsider? Will the B1G and Pac12 reconsider? Will the Spring season be a success of failure? --only time (trial and error) will tell. For the time being, I think all options will remain on the table for every conference.

Narrator: He was not brief

This is not a politics or press thread, so I'll try to be brief. Like it or not, we are in a new age of journalism where outlets do not give any sense of equal time in probing both sides of an issue. In Cronkite's day they reported both sides, even if the news outlets personally gave more credence to one side. After Tet, Cronkite sort of went to the edge of journalism in sharing his conclusion to the effect that the 'US would not end the war as victors, rather it would have to be a negotiated solution as an honorable people who did the best that they could.' This was a gigantic step and a good one, however I believe Cronkite had more years and data available to draw his conclusion. Co-Vid is not similar, in fact it is way more complex and over a shorter time-span. Also, we now live in a very polarized journalistic world, which makes it incredibly tough to be a reasonably informed (i.e. just collect competing viewpoints) citizen.

Fox didn't used to fabricate lies and put it out as news, but after Trump they have done just that, becoming a misinformation machine. They've even doctored photos to fit their false narratives. I agree CNN shows bias, but they haven't come close to Faux News.

TL/DR
But anyone who believes that Fox is not a "disinformation site" has put in very little effort to make sure that they are getting a cross-section of opinions. How many lies are acceptable?

There are some unreliable sources on Twitter that are claiming their "BIG sources" have said that as long as a massive outbreak doesn't happen over the next few days/week, they will announce that they are going to play this Fall. Of course, that's likely not true and just being said due to the 250k+ signatures on that petition and the PSU AD coming out saying they never actually voted on anything.
Notre dame was the poster child for their handling of covid and they are even having problems a week into all of it.
I’m sure the ADs never did vote on anything. It’s not something they would vote on. This would fall squarely on the Presidents.
There is a lot of wishful thinking out there that they can force a change in the decisions made by the conferences.

In addition to the 250K signatures I am sure that athletic directors and college presidents have heard directly from some of the big money donors who are used to getting what they want.

None of that changes the fact that as NotSure stated this decision didn't come from the coaches or the athletic directors, it came from the presidents of the Universities.

Yes it would be embarrassing for the PAC12 if other conferences manage to hold an incident free season. The other side of this is how does it look when two games into a season a team scheduled to play has 8 players positive and another 25-30 out for quarantine reasons.

Also even if it is the decision of the presidents there are things they don't control. In the south college football is religion but the PAC and B1G have members in states where the governors would have not issue in the event of a surge or a campus based outbreak to simply say no gatherings of over 10 or 20 people, and this includes football practices and games.

Thinking that any program is going to be successful in keeping 100+ young men plus coaches and staff successfully isolated while living on or near a college campus is fantasy. We have already seen Notre Dame, UNC, Oklahoma, CSU and others. It is just a question of when and how many others will see the same things happen.

To the die hard fans and supporters none of this matters. To them it is football season and their team should be playing, and if a key player is sick he needs to suck it up and play through it because they want to see wins.

There is a lot of wishful thinking out there that they can force a change in the decisions made by the conferences.

In addition to the 250K signatures I am sure that athletic directors and college presidents have heard directly from some of the big money donors who are used to getting what they want.

None of that changes the fact that as NotSure stated this decision didn't come from the coaches or the athletic directors, it came from the presidents of the Universities.

Yes it would be embarrassing for the PAC12 if other conferences manage to hold an incident free season. The other side of this is how does it look when two games into a season a team scheduled to play has 8 players positive and another 25-30 out for quarantine reasons.

Also even if it is the decision of the presidents there are things they don't control. In the south college football is religion but the PAC and B1G have members in states where the governors would have not issue in the event of a surge or a campus based outbreak to simply say no gatherings of over 10 or 20 people, and this includes football practices and games.

Thinking that any program is going to be successful in keeping 100+ young men plus coaches and staff successfully isolated while living on or near a college campus is fantasy. We have already seen Notre Dame, UNC, Oklahoma, CSU and others. It is just a question of when and how many others will see the same things happen.

To the die hard fans and supporters none of this matters. To them it is football season and their team should be playing, and if a key player is sick he needs to suck it up and play through it because they want to see wins.
With your retirement, I was really hoping you would be in a position to elaborate further on your points.

Fox didn't used to fabricate lies and put it out as news, but after Trump they have done just that, becoming a misinformation machine. They've even doctored photos to fit their false narratives. I agree CNN shows bias, but they haven't come close to Faux News.

@zbuff, @buffaholic and @ahoelsken, I'm going to post some thoughts on the media in response, but I'll do it in the I think conservative media thread, since this is a football thread.

Last edited:
Just like the tobacco industry had medical experts who said the data was inconclusive and there was no proof that smoking is bad for you.

Don't think medical folks can't be bought who will find a way to support the conclusion you want.
You are on point here. Just ask Dr Fauci.

I agree that keeping athletes completely isolated without outbreaks is fantasy, however whether they are playing football in the Fall or Spring, I am of the opinion for most athletes that their best interests are probably better suited being on/near campus with access to their facilities, training tables, coaches, academic support, medical staff, and increased access to Co-Vid testing. Is there risk of outbreaks? absolutely. Will there be outbreaks on college campuses across the nation? Most likely. However we have to remember those athletes have dreams, aspirations and for many the opportunity to get a top-notch education via scholarship and a limited window to reach those goals, hence they should get the full opportunity if at all possible--that can be provided via Fall or Spring football. Aside from pro-sports aspirations, I think about a good number of athletes who will compete in their sport and stay involved in their sport or another sport later on in life, whether that be a coach, trainer, college prep counselor (ex-Buff Terrance Wood has an awesome program for HS kids, looking to get into college football) or any other opportunity they garner through their lifelong association with sports. The athletes put in the work to get here, and we need to remember that.

You can have positive opinions of the actions taken by all the conferences--it does not really have to be one or the other. If I were to pass on a positive opinion on the Big 12, SEC, ACC, Notre Dame and other conferences playing in the fall, at least they are willing to give it a go, wade into the unknown and see what happens. They are trying the experiment now and will give necessary data in seeing what is possible. In some ways, it is admirable to try the experiment now. However, the same can be said with the B1B, PAC 12 and other conferences who have deferred until the Spring, a positive opinion is they looked at the situation more cautiously opting to wait until Spring. That may pay off, but I think that they will still be still somewhat heading into the unknown--although they will have more information from the Fall Sports attempted by other schools.

When the Orange Julius is weighing in on this issue, it's become a political issue. Why is he doing that? Why does my dog like to eat dog****? Great mysteries to me.

I agree that keeping athletes completely isolated without outbreaks is fantasy, however whether they are playing football in the Fall or Spring, I am of the opinion for most athletes that their best interests are probably better suited being on/near campus with access to their facilities, training tables, coaches, academic support, medical staff, and increased access to Co-Vid testing. Is there risk of outbreaks? absolutely. Will there be outbreaks on college campuses across the nation? Most likely. However we have to remember those athletes have dreams, aspirations and for many the opportunity to get a top-notch education via scholarship and a limited window to reach those goals, hence they should get the full opportunity if at all possible--that can be provided via Fall or Spring football. Aside from pro-sports aspirations, I think about a good number of athletes who will compete in their sport and stay involved in their sport or another sport later on in life, whether that be a coach, trainer, college prep counselor (ex-Buff Terrance Wood has an awesome program for HS kids, looking to get into college football) or any other opportunity they garner through their lifelong association with sports. The athletes put in the work to get here, and we need to remember that.

You can have positive opinions of the actions taken by all the conferences--it does not really have to be one or the other. If I were to pass on a positive opinion on the Big 12, SEC, ACC, Notre Dame and other conferences playing in the fall, at least they are willing to give it a go, wade into the unknown and see what happens. They are trying the experiment now and will give necessary data in seeing what is possible. In some ways, it is admirable to try the experiment now. However, the same can be said with the B1B, PAC 12 and other conferences who have deferred until the Spring, a positive opinion is they looked at the situation more cautiously opting to wait until Spring. That may pay off, but I think that they will still be still somewhat heading into the unknown--although they will have more information from the Fall Sports attempted by other schools.
This is where many in the SEC, B12 & ACC reside. There's a huge tail gate in the SEC where many pay for their space every season which amounts to millions$$. 20% attendance doesn't affect them in the least....Every A&M home game will have more people outside the stadium than in it guaranteed.
After the P12 bugged out I dropped the sports package that I paid for only to watch the Buffs, I'm sure not in hell's name not going to pay for re-runs of SC kicking someone's ass or replays of games played 20 yrs before we joined..no history...not interested.

When the Orange Julius is weighing in on this issue, it's become a political issue. Why is he doing that? Why does my dog like to eat dog****? Great mysteries to me.

I would say Orange Julius weighs in, just as he weighs in on every CoVid related issue--good or bad. I think that he has been consistent in desiring push the envelope in trying things during this pandemic. A consistent push towards opening up, rather than exercising extreme caution. He has mainly left it to the Governors, but I'm sure that he puts some pressure on them behind the scenes. I guess he may feel that it furthers his political interest (but who knows what his political advisors are telling him, or even if he listens to them), but I think pushing the envelope and/or experimenting in the age of CoVid has been a consistent theme and college football is just now at the forefront. I am not sure that his tact has won him votes, but not sure it has lost him that much either (I think that the polls are about where they were pre-pandemic during impeachment in December--4.5 down in swing states, 8 down nationally, he is down some post-pandemic after the post-impeachment bump, but I'm not sure it is CoVid, rather a combination of CoVid and the racial unrest).

I will say this, on a certain level no matter the political persuasion, political leaders have to peddle in "hope" or optimism; otherwise they too get stuck in the doom and gloom; which will probably take them down, as much, if not more so than trying something.

First “verified” person on Twitter I’ve heard really talk about it. Granted he’s an OSU beat writer. Supposedly some legal precedent for players possibly claiming “loss of value” and could create problems for the conference. Seems flimsy

First “verified” person on Twitter I’ve heard really talk about it. Granted he’s an OSU beat writer. Supposedly some legal precedent for players possibly claiming “loss of value” and could create problems for the conference. Seems flimsy

Yeah flimsy at best lol

The B1G may reconsider, but I don't really see them changing their decision. I could never see the Governors/Presidents reaching a strong enough consensus to play. Many of the States in the B1G have been hit hard by CoVid in terms of infections and deaths. For Rutgers, they still have the tri-state quarantine requirement, so I could not see them even playing in NJ in the near team. I'm interested to see how the NFL deals with home games in NJ and NY. The death counts in NJ (15K), IL, PA, MI, OH, MD, and IN are all over 3000. I don't see it happening, but I have been wrong in the past. Not even with a 9-7 vote to play. I think to play, it would have to be a 12-2 or 10-4. They would need a strong consensus to backtrack.

Back