What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Ubben at the Athletic had a novel idea on how to stop the anarchy and chaos - schools pay the players. They have contracts. You can’t leave for X years while we pay you Y a year. Kids get paid, colleges get control, everyone is happy except for the yelling at clouds crew.
Might as well. It would end our misery at Colorado since they’d cut football.

Might as well. It would end our misery at Colorado since they’d cut football.
I think a lot of schools would end up cutting football.

It has to be kept in mind that if they pay they will have to pay at least minimum wage plus things like workman's comp, etc. Players would have to be paid for all mandatory time including practice, meetings, lifting, travel, etc.

Also pay football players and with title IX the school also has to pay all women athletes and would in effect end up paying all athletes.

What we would probably see is a lot of schools moving down in classification unless there was a legal mandate requiring all schools to pay in which case you would see the end of almost all D2, FCS, and most G5 schools along with a number of P5 schools

I think a lot of schools would end up cutting football.

It has to be kept in mind that if they pay they will have to pay at least minimum wage plus things like workman's comp, etc. Players would have to be paid for all mandatory time including practice, meetings, lifting, travel, etc.

Also pay football players and with title IX the school also has to pay all women athletes and would in effect end up paying all athletes.

What we would probably see is a lot of schools moving down in classification unless there was a legal mandate requiring all schools to pay in which case you would see the end of almost all D2, FCS, and most G5 schools along with a number of P5 schools
I see your logic and I'll take it a step further...
Scholarships...could partially or end all together
Players will be required to carry a minimum GPA.
A threshold $$ amount allowed...when does the U get a return?
To your point under title IX...the AD's budget will balloon due to staffing costs to keep track of all the athletes.
I totally agree with many schools moving down in classification so they can compete with like schools caught in the same situation.

To your point under title IX...the AD's budget will balloon due to staffing costs to keep track of all the athletes.
I totally agree with many schools moving down in classification so they can compete with like schools caught in the same situation.
Nobody knows where this will all go but I could see the schools, especially smaller budget schools taking an offset against financial aid based on NIL moneys.

I agree. For the pay the players, CBA etc I think football would have to break away from the NCAA. If nothing else for escaping title 9.

But it is not only CU that is adjusting. Even Oklahoma is been decimated. But they are adjusting better. Utah and Michigan state have done really well with portal moves. CU is struggling.

But it is not only CU that is adjusting. Even Oklahoma is been decimated. But they are adjusting better. Utah and Michigan state have done really well with portal moves. CU is struggling.
Gosh, I wonder if Oklahoma will figure it out and be fine. 🤔

Dorrell and staff couldn’t find their own asses with two hands. CU is, predictably, getting buried.

Mark my words, when CU football breathes its final breath and the epitaphs are written, the apologists will blame the insurmountable uncertainties, challenges, and “who could have foreseen this” as the reasons. Not that CU lacked foresight and the fortitude to change and adapt.

Even Oklahoma is been decimated.
I think you can add this up to the loss of Lincoln Riley.

That being said, coaching staffs that are without, got caught with their pants down by the transfer portal and the NIL. Well-prepared staffs have capitalized on a huge opportunity. Just another reason for Buffalo football to be red-faced. We are really eating the dust on many different levels.

I think you can add this up to the loss of Lincoln Riley.

That being said, coaching staffs that are without, got caught with their pants down by the transfer portal and the NIL. Well-prepared staffs have capitalized on a huge opportunity. Just another reason for Buffalo football to be red-faced. We are really eating the dust on many different levels.
I think a couple of his OU players joined him at U$C already too.

The only example you could come up with had to be immediately qualified as “adjusting better” …we’re fine.

David Ubben at the Athletic had a novel idea on how to stop the anarchy and chaos - schools pay the players. They have contracts. You can’t leave for X years while we pay you Y a year. Kids get paid, colleges get control, everyone is happy except for the yelling at clouds crew.
The only solution

This idea has been kicking around here too. Talk of collective bargaining too as it will be just as crazy if the wage scales are different from school to school.
Needs a super league with enforceable, extremely penalizes-able violations out lined clearly, likely bargained between players and super league ADs.

Wait so you think cutting football would allow CU to ADD sports?!?! Come on guy.

Football is a big money maker. But CU revenue is already low and will have more expenses if they start paying players. CU will have no other choice but to cut football, Yes I think cuttimg football in that scenario will allow CU to add more sports, Can pivot to Basketball to be the big money maker. The other sports don't cost as much and can leverage TV renenue and ticket sales to stay afloat. But most likely it won't be a wholesale change. Probably will start with something like baseball and softball.

Football is a big money maker. But CU revenue is already low and will have more expenses if they start paying players. CU will have no other choice but to cut football, Yes I think cuttimg football in that scenario will allow CU to add more sports, Can pivot to Basketball to be the big money maker. The other sports don't cost as much and can leverage TV renenue and ticket sales to stay afloat. But most likely it won't be a wholesale change. Probably will start with something like baseball and softball.
Another big bang fantasy post
155d04a9-7ec5-467e-b6c9-21d17391a6b6_text.gif

Have to laugh at people feeling sorry for Oklahoma.

Football matters at Oklahoma, winning football games matters at Oklahoma, the administration understands that winning football games at Oklahoma.

The Oklahoma boosters will provide the resources and the administration will support the use of those resources and Sooner (pun intended) or later they will overcome losing Reilly and be back to winning.

If they don't those administrators in charge will be seeking other jobs and new people will be in their place who understand priorities.

Not saying that CU should be like Oklahoma but currently and for the past couple decades we have been as far from the Oklahoma way of thinking as you can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back