What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023-24 Coaching Carousel (Fitzgerald out, DC Braun interim at Northwestern)

I can’t imagine what the narrative would be around Prime if he held a Zoom meeting to tell his players he was leaving for another job
I'm always dumbfounded by this approach. Is it really that hard for the hiring school to want to honor the coach's word to speak to his current players first? Like, I agree to the deal will be on the plane tomorrow night, but in the morning I need to meet with my players. I don't get it, where's the integrity?

I can’t imagine what the narrative would be around Prime if he held a Zoom meeting to tell his players he was leaving for another job
I respect that he personally addressed the team even if it wasn't in person.

Some coaches DGAF. Some programs don't want to allow a departing coach to have contact because they fear portal tampering or just going off message.

So I think it's a nothing burger and just fine.

And I definitely think there are a lot of folks who would try to crucify Coach Prime for this. You know, the folks who criticized him for leaving the kids at JSU and then criticized for finishing the season with them after he'd taken another job. Haters gonna hate.

Would be hard to enforce, but how long until we see a coach get a "salary" that is 3-5 mil more than they should, with the understanding that said coach puts said 3-5 mil right back into the NIL fund?
I think something we might see is that the Nike/UA/Adidas deals with schools & coaches could start including a donation to a NIL collective.
Not something that is even necessary.

IINM a lot of schools when they sign a coach to a big contract have commitments from one or more major donors to cover a significant part of it reducing the risk to the school.

It wouldn't be that hard to instead of putting the money in the coaches contract have that commitment made directly to the NIL funds. If the coach wants assurances they could put a clause in the contract that provides the coach with an out if NIL moneys don't reach a specified amount.

I think the only way money gets channeled is if it's earmarked and separate from the compensation the individual has earned in the marketplace.

Nike is not going to pay to an NIL Collective in excess of what it was already willing to pay for the deal.

It's one thing if CU can divert money to NIL instead of it being AD revenue. That's what I was talking about.

But some of you have this fantasy that coaches and players are going to happily volunteer to have their money given to someone else. While that happens (I.e., Tom Brady playing most of his career for below market value to provide cap space and a better chance at a championship), it is rare.

It's up to the football program to both pay its coach his market value AND to provide the resources to get the players.

What some of you are saying is no different than if you thought that if they want to upgrade the training table to serve filet mignon instead of Salisbury steak that Coach Prime should pay for that out of his own pocket.

I want Lil Wayne to do an old school Run DMC style remix of Joe Walsh's Rocky Mountain Way.
Thinking of a remix where the line "and we don't need the ladies crying cause the story's sad..." Is sampled over and over

Not with Jimbo’s offense
LOL they haven't been great offensively (especially when you compare them with OU and UT-who they compare themselves to) since they had that Albert Connell (or whatever his name was) who had like 200 yards receiving against us in 1996.

I was at that game, but probably have the number wrong. Feel free to correct me.

Back