What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Colorado Football Schedule & Future Schedules

I have no problem scheduling the game but some thought needs to be put into when those games are played. Similarly, it’s dumb to play CSU the week after Nebraska. It’s just common sense. Like Coach Mac said about 35 years ago, “what goes up must come down.” You don’t schedule the team that most wants to beat you the week after your rivalry game. It almost cost us the CSU game this year. Yes, we should win that game regardless, but why would we give our opponents any edge?
We almost lost the CSU game because we weren't focused. That's on the coaching staff.

We almost lost the CSU game because we weren't focused. That's on the coaching staff.
Flat, not focused - is there really a difference? That’s my point about scheduling. Whenever it’s in your control you should schedule a cupcake after your rivalry game, not a second rivalry game. Same issue next season.

Flat, not focused - is there really a difference? That’s my point about scheduling. Whenever it’s in your control you should schedule a cupcake after your rivalry game, not a second rivalry game. Same issue next season.
You're still off here. CU was flat for CSU BECAUSE of the hype. Gameday and Big Noon Kickoff were both on campus that day.

If I were CU's AD, I wouldn't play CSU in anything.

Pretty low expectations to be scared of NDSU, CSU, and Nebraska
You don't want your team to wear down, physically or emotionally. The latter got to us quickly this year and the team never recovered.

Also, even with a 12-team playoff I'm not confident that a Big 12 team will make the playoffs with more than 1 loss and it would take a lot of things to break right to make it with 3 losses.

Better to schedule cupcakes (maybe 1 legit non-conference opponent), pad the record, and make it so any losses would be in conference play where you can wipe it clean in the CCG.

Playing a schedule like we had in 2023 is moronic in this era.

Last edited:
You're still off here. CU was flat for CSU BECAUSE of the hype. Gameday and Big Noon Kickoff were both on campus that day.

If I were CU's AD, I wouldn't play CSU in anything.

Good thing you aren’t AD

This non-con is such bad scheduling. NDSU was a mistake, we should beat them but it's gonna take way more effort than scheduling like a MAC team would.

The other mistake was not getting the CSU and Nebraska home and away dates split up. Two consecutive road games in extremely hostile environments against teams as hungry as it gets to take you down is tough for any team, you'd never see an SEC or B1G program attempt that.

Even if we could drop the CSU game, could you imagine the narrative? 'Scared to go play in the Fort!' We just have to go and beat the **** out of them.
RG really screwed up our non conference schedule the last few years. Games against AFA, CSU, Minny, and NDSU are not conducive to a program trying to get its footing.

We have needed a body bag game or two for years

You don't want your team to wear down, physically or emotionally. The latter got to us quickly this year and the team never recovered.

Also, even with 12 teams I'm not confident that a Big 12 team will make the playoffs with more than 1 loss and it would take a lot of things to break right to make it with 3 losses.

Better to schedule cupcakes (maybe 1 legit non-conference opponent), pad the record, and make it so any losses would be in conference play where you can wipe it clean in the CCG.

Top 12 programs don’t come close to losing to NDSU, CSU, or Nebraska on their schedule. Those are cupcake games to any top 5 team.

Isn’t this roughly the kind of OOC sked that most people want? 1 FCS, 1 G5, and one kind of C+ type P5? What’s the problem?

If anyone’s going to wring his/her hands about anything, worry about Utah, Arizona, KSU, Kansas, and OSU. Winning 3 of those is going to be a challenge, regardless how recruiting shakes out. UCF in Orlando is not a gimme either. As always, JMHO.

Top 12 programs don’t come close to losing to NDSU, CSU, or Nebraska on their schedule. Those are cupcake games to any top 5 team.
They're also not a break where you get to rest some guys and work on some things. Those games will be intense even though CU should win by double digits.

Also, even with 12 teams I'm not confident that a Big 12 team will make the playoffs with more than 1 loss and it would take a lot of things to break right to make it with 3 losses.

I think the potential for extra losses for some of these contenders is through the roof. This is just next year. I ignored the ACC for the sake of this post because their additions won't have the impact that the moves the other three made. Stanford and Cal are both ass and SMU is bound to have some growing pains.

Big 12
Oklahoma State-@CU, Utah, @Kansas State
Utah-@CU, @OSU
Kansas State-@CU, OSU, Arizona as an OOC game
CU-Utah, OSU, KSU
Arizona-KSU OOC, @Utah, @BYU

SEC
Alabama-Georgia, @Tennessee, @Oklahoma
Georgia-@Alabama, @Texas
Texas-Oklahoma, Georgia, @A&M

B1G
Washington-Michigan, @Penn State, both LA schools
Oregon-Ohio State, @Wisconsin, @Michigan
Michigan-@Washington, Oregon
Penn State-UCLA, @USC, Washington.

I know what (if any) impact this realignment will have on the blue bloods in the super leagues. I do think it has an impact on programs like Missouri and Ole Miss. They both would be in a 12 team playoff at 10-2. Replace a game with Vanderbilt or maybe Arkansas with a game against Oklahoma. Penn State is another example-replace a game with a bottom feeder with an addition.

Another thing is the travel, which would be a bigger problem for the Big 10. If I'm Tony Petiti, I would come out and say that the four western schools are going to play each other every year. That's more tradition for those fanbases and less travel for everybody. It could be a problem for a program like Florida State in the ACC. They go to SMU. Who knows-maybe the ponies are in the game in the second half.

Just took a look at who NDSU could be losing and it looks like it could be a lot of offensive production. Starting QB is a senior and also one of the leading rushers (NDSU QBs run the ball a lot), a RB but NDSU does RB & running QBs by committee so it's basically reload in the running game. A good number of OL-men are seniors and overall, there are 35 seniors on this year's NDSU squad. There's no knowing how many could come back due to the extra year granted by COVID-19. There are only 28 juniors and sophmores on this year's squad. They might do reloading via the portal just like us. But again those returning players already got a third extra week of practice thanks to the FCS playoffs.

My question is where will NDSU's head be at if they lose to South Dakota on the road in the FCS playoffs today? They lost to UND, USD, and SDSU so with a loss today, they will be perceived as the weakest Dakota school and that might either add more fire in the weight room or not.

My only question is where will CU's OL be at in the opener against NDSU?

I don't think the game in Lincoln will be the toughest OOC game for the Buffs. That win over the Huskers this fall was just too easy.

Just took a look at who NDSU could be losing and it looks like it could be a lot of offensive production. Starting QB is a senior and also one of the leading rushers (NDSU QBs run the ball a lot), a RB but NDSU does RB & running QBs by committee so it's basically reload in the running game. A good number of OL-men are seniors and overall, there are 35 seniors on this year's NDSU squad. There's no knowing how many could come back due to the extra year granted by COVID-19. There are only 28 juniors and sophmores on this year's squad. They might do reloading via the portal just like us. But again those returning players already got a third extra week of practice thanks to the FCS playoffs.

My question is where will NDSU's head be at if they lose to South Dakota on the road in the FCS playoffs today? They lost to UND, USD, and SDSU so with a loss today, they will be perceived as the weakest Dakota school and that might either add more fire in the weight room or not.

My only question is where will CU's OL be at in the opener against NDSU?

I don't think the game in Lincoln will be the toughest OOC game for the Buffs. That win over the Huskers this fall was just too easy.
Good points. I don’t think the current NDSU is comparable to the teams of a few years ago. They will always play tough and hard nose for 60 minutes, but the personnel losses are real.

Totally agree, and this is not a new problem. During Mel’s year here we opened with CSU, Nebraska and Air Force. I said before the season we would probably lose to AF. They opened with an FCS opponent and then had a bye. They spent 6 months practicing to beat us while we were focused on CSU and Nebraska. That AF loss was scheduled.
No. That loss was because Montez spent the entire game forcing the ball to viska and ignoring open receivers, and because we flubbed an extra point.

Good points. I don’t think the current NDSU is comparable to the teams of a few years ago. They will always play tough and hard nose for 60 minutes, but the personnel losses are real.

Guess Chris Klieman is one heck of a coach and we are facing him next season in Boulder when KSU visits. Next season will be his sixth season in Manhattan and I guess the current NDSU coach isn't up to par in that case. South Dakota State's HC retired after last season and it appears that the Janke brothers, their top RB, and their top TE are leaving after this season. Their starting QB is listed as a junior but he could decide to go into the portal and see what he can do in FBS.

Could be a shakeup in the Dakota hierarchy after this season. Or not since NDSU just destroyed USD in the playoffs.

Let it be noted that Delaware will be FBS in 2025 as they just announced a move to CUSA for that year. So that means Weber State and UNC will be the only FCS teams on the schedule.

GBvp0D-XgAABJNu

Let it be noted that Delaware will be FBS in 2025 as they just announced a move to CUSA for that year. So that means Weber State and UNC will be the only FCS teams on the schedule.
Probably the two closest FCS teams to us. Good scheduling by RG.

I'd like to see an extension of the Nubs series in the 2030s. We have the availability to do it, and so do they. Might as well play SMU given they're a power opponent now, but I see no reason why we need to go through with that North Texas series now that we're in the Big 12. Play San Diego State or Fresno instead.

Last edited:
Probably the two closest FCS teams to us. Good scheduling by RG.

I'd like to see an extension of the Nubs series in the 2030s. We have the availability to do it, and so do they. Might as well play SMU given they're a power opponent now, but I see no reason why we need to go through with that North Texas series now that we're in the Big 12. Play San Diego State or Fresno instead.

We have SMU scheduled for 2030 in Boulder and 2031 in Dallas according to the FBS schedule website. It would be best to keep North Texas on the schedule for the time being.

I'm good with scheduling Nebraska just not at the same season that we play CSU or Air Force (if that series is ever renewed). If we manhandle them in Lincoln next year like we did in Boulder, the Nubs might just not renew the rivalry with CU for awhile. It shouldn't come as a surprise since Scott Frost tried to get out of a road game to Oklahoma not that long ago. That will just erode the image of the Huskers even more. Their fans probably prefer to lose to Iowa than CU anyway.

Given that the last game against SDSU was scheduled on a short notice, I think it would be fair that we do a series with the Aztecs. I know Frenso whooped CU the last time both teams played but who can forget the goodwill of Frenso's alumni & fan base for donating supplies to the 2013 Boulder flood victims?

The teams that I think CU ought to schedule a series are:

Maryland (DC has good talent in the area).
Virigina, VT, NCSU, or UNC (Tidewater region for recruiting). If we can't get them, we might want to consider ODU.
Ole Miss (Memphis area recruiting). If no go, get a series with Memphis.
LSU or Tulane (Louisania recruiting).
We have Florida coming up but let's do another series with FSU and/or the U. We are not going to visit UCF every year.
Iowa (when we don't play ISU). They seem to produce good TEs.
UCLA as long as it is at SoFi.
Alabama or Auburn (why not?)

Back