What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 MBB Dance Card Resume

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
I didn't do the "Bubble Watch" thread over Xmas break like normal this season because I believed in the goal of a regular season conference championship and didn't want to put doubt into the universe. Well, we're eliminated from that consideration being 3 back of Arizona with 3 games left and them having the tiebreaker. So I'll do a modified "Bubble Watch" in this thread to lay things out without diverting from the NET thread which has been fantastic.

1st part is our schedule with opponent records. The thing to keep in mind with NET is that it weights things heavily toward the "Quad" your opponent falls into based on their resume and whether you played them at Home, Away or at a Neutral site. Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins are what build your resume and turn the heads of the selection committee since they show whether or not you can beat the types of teams that will be in the tournament. Quad 3 and Quad 4 losses (or having a weak strength of schedule from playing too many of them) are what hurt your resume since they show whether your team is reliably good. It seems like a lot of bracketology pundits stress that Q1 and somewhat Q2 resume should be valued much higher because the tournament is about who you've shown you can beat, not who you've shown you can lose to.

Something else the committee pays some attention to is injuries. If you won or lost games while not at full strength, that's supposed to be considered as something that gives a bump to your selection or seeding while having key player(s) out from a late season injury which will cause the player to miss the tournament is supposed to downgrade your seeding.

NET rating quantifies the strength of your overall record. As mentioned elsewhere on this board, if a power conference team has a Top 40 NET then that has made the team a virtual lock for the tournament. CU should be in great shape right now except for a couple things: 1) our Buffs have not done well at all against Quad 1 opponents; and 2) the Pac-12 is not very good this year (maybe just a 2-bid league) and with the conference collapsing there's no political pressure to get more conference representation.

That's the background. Here's the resume.
  • Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
  • Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
  • Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
  • Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353

CU Schedule & Results
OpponentLocationResultOpponent RecordNET RankGame Quad
TowsonHomeWin (75-57)17-12156Q3
GramblingHomeWin (95-63)14-13290Q4
MilwaukeeHomeWin (106-79)16-14241Q4
RichmondNeutralWin (64-59)21-770Q2
Florida StateNeutralLoss (71-77 OT)15-1390Q2
IonaHomeWin (85-68)13-14188Q4
Colorado StateRoadLoss (83-88)20-930Q1
PepperdineHomeWin (91-66)12-18238Q4
MiamiNeutralWin (90-63)15-1488Q2
Northern ColoradoHomeWin (90-68)17-11184Q4
Utah TechHomeWin (98-71)10-17274Q4
WashingtonHomeWin (73-69)15-1371Q2
Washington StateHomeWin (74-67)21-736Q2
ArizonaAwayLoss (50-97)22-63Q1
Arizona StateAwayLoss (73-76)14-15125Q2
CaliforniaAwayLoss (78-82)13-16115Q2
USCHomeWin (68-58)11-16102Q3
OregonHomeWin (86-70)19-963Q2
Oregon StateHomeWin (90-57)12-17161Q4
WashingtonAwayWin (98-81)15-1371Q1
Washington StateAwayLoss (69-78)21-736Q1
UtahAwayLoss (68-73)16-1153Q1
Arizona StateHomeWin (82-70)14-15125Q3
ArizonaHomeLoss (79-99)22-63Q1
UCLAAwayLoss (60-64)14-13112Q2
USCAwayWin (92-89 OT)11-16102Q2
UtahHomeWin (89-65)16-1153Q2
CaliforniaHomeWin (88-78)13-16115Q3
StanfordHome116Q3
OregonAway63Q1
Oregon StateAway161Q3
Pac-12 Tourney (TBD)
Pac-12 Tourney (TBD)
Pac-12 Tourney (TBD)

Colorado Summary
RecordHomeAwayNeutralQuad 1Quad 2Quad 3Quad 4NET RankKenPom Rank
19-915-11-52-11-57-44-07-02931

The other thing that gets looked at a lot is KenPom. That describes how you rate relative to other teams on different factors of play that lead to winning, then your record and how much good or bad luck you may have had to get to that record, and all of that related to the schedule difficulty. Of note on that with CU is that we've got a better offense than defense this year. As of 2/29, our O is rated #23 and our D is rated #60. We're also almost completely neutral on Luck - so we are what our record says we are this season.

Currently, the general prediction for CU's Dance positioning is firmly on the Bubble. Somewhere in that 11-seed play-in round or among the top snubs.

Last, some links:

NET Rankings (updated each morning): https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings
KenPom Rankings (updated close to real time): https://kenpom.com/
ESPN Bracketoloty (since it gets talked about the most): https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/s...logy-2024-march-madness-men-field-predictions
CBS Bracketology (next most referenced since they televise and Jerry Palm is pretty respected): https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/
Bracket Matrix (compiles & amalgamates all the bracketology sites): http://www.bracketmatrix.com/#google_vignette
Bracketometry (ranks as the #1 bracket accuracy over the past 5 years): https://www.bracketometry.com/
1-3-1 Sports (rates as the 2nd best bracket accuracy over the past 5 years): https://131sports.com/

Last edited:
Here's another one I don't get. These teams are pretty similar, right?

1709301030319.png

Yet according to Bracket Matrix, the team on the left is included in virtually every bracket they monitor (104/109) and the one on the right is only "in" in fewer than a third of brackets (32/109).

Something else the committee pays some attention to is injuries.
If they use that as a matrix, then do they also look at teams that have NBA draft potential for extra viewing cache? We supposedly have three now, with one a Lottery pick.

Yeah, I don't get the undying love for Wake, either.

It definitely is weird although we're not that behind them since on bracket matrix they're one of the last 4 at large teams and we're the first one out.

I'm guessing the committee puts a lot of stock in quad 1 wins and while we both have one, their quad 1 win is much better than ours plus they have a win over Florida which is just outside being a quad 1 win.

It definitely is weird although we're not that behind them since on bracket matrix they're one of the last 4 at large teams and we're the first one out.

I'm guessing the committee puts a lot of stock in quad 1 wins and while we both have one, their quad 1 win is much better than ours plus they have a win over Florida which is just outside being a quad 1 win.
No difference between their Florida win and our Wazzu win.

Here's another one I don't get. These teams are pretty similar, right?

View attachment 70146

Yet according to Bracket Matrix, the team on the left is included in virtually every bracket they monitor (104/109) and the one on the right is only "in" in fewer than a third of brackets (32/109).
The obvious difference is BPI. It is unfortunate that ESPN holds so much power over perception. Imagine if Larry Scott made a deal with ESPN years ago and they had a vested interest in boosting the perception of the Pac-12. Sad.

If Oregon loses to Arizona, us and Utah are we still thinking they'll be quad 1? Or are we rooting for Oregon against everyone but us. Can we finish 3rd if they win 2 of 3?

I'm guessing we want to finish on same side of the bracket as Wazzu as we haven't matched up with Zona at all but also want to finish as high in the conference standings from a perception perspective.

If Oregon loses to Arizona, us and Utah are we still thinking they'll be quad 1? Or are we rooting for Oregon against everyone but us. Can we finish 3rd if they win 2 of 3?

I'm guessing we want to finish on same side of the bracket as Wazzu as we haven't matched up with Zona at all but also want to finish as high in the conference standings from a perception perspective.
They're at #65 with yesterday's adjustments. Losing to us shouldn't hurt them too badly. Utah wouldn't be too bad either. Arizona on the road could actually improve their NET even with a loss depending on what teams around them do. I think that as long as they beat Utah and win their opener in the P12T they are likely to finish Top 75 even if they lose at UA and vs CU. If they finish 0-3, I'd suspect they'll need 2 P12T wins.

Yeah, I'm looking at the Pac12 tourney bracket with interest. It's more important to be opposite of UA since the Buffs have been completely non-competitive against them thus far. Would rather see WSU, UA, UO, CU than WSU, UA, CU, UO. That as least gives us a chance for an extra win that would help our resume more than a stronger UO ranking. UA probably going to be first because of WSU's stupid ASU loss. So as much as it pains me to say it, root for UA to win and WSU/UO to lose so that we could slip into the 3 spot and avoid UA.

I didn't do the "Bubble Watch" thread over Xmas break like normal this season because I believed in the goal of a regular season conference championship and didn't want to put doubt into the universe. Well, we're eliminated from that consideration being 3 back of Arizona with 3 games left and them having the tiebreaker. So I'll do a modified "Bubble Watch" in this thread to lay things out without diverting from the NET thread which has been fantastic.

1st part is our schedule with opponent records. The thing to keep in mind with NET is that it weights things heavily toward the "Quad" your opponent falls into based on their resume and whether you played them at Home, Away or at a Neutral site. Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins are what build your resume and turn the heads of the selection committee since they show whether or not you can beat the types of teams that will be in the tournament. Quad 3 and Quad 4 losses (or having a weak strength of schedule from playing too many of them) are what hurt your resume since they show whether your team is reliably good. It seems like a lot of bracketology pundits stress that Q1 and somewhat Q2 resume should be valued much higher because the tournament is about who you've shown you can beat, not who you've shown you can lose to.

Something else the committee pays some attention to is injuries. If you won or lost games while not at full strength, that's supposed to be considered as something that gives a bump to your selection or seeding while having key player(s) out from a late season injury which will cause the player to miss the tournament is supposed to downgrade your seeding.

NET rating quantifies the strength of your overall record. As mentioned elsewhere on this board, if a power conference team has a Top 40 NET then that has made the team a virtual lock for the tournament. CU should be in great shape right now except for a couple things: 1) our Buffs have not done well at all against Quad 1 opponents; and 2) the Pac-12 is not very good this year (maybe just a 2-bid league) and with the conference collapsing there's no political pressure to get more conference representation.

That's the background. Here's the resume.
  • Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
  • Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
  • Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
  • Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353

CU Schedule & Results
OpponentLocationResultOpponent RecordNET RankGame Quad
TowsonHomeWin (75-57)17-12156Q3
GramblingHomeWin (95-63)14-13290Q4
MilwaukeeHomeWin (106-79)16-14241Q4
RichmondNeutralWin (64-59)21-770Q2
Florida StateNeutralLoss (71-77 OT)15-1390Q2
IonaHomeWin (85-68)13-14188Q4
Colorado StateRoadLoss (83-88)20-930Q1
PepperdineHomeWin (91-66)12-18238Q4
MiamiNeutralWin (90-63)15-1488Q2
Northern ColoradoHomeWin (90-68)17-11184Q4
Utah TechHomeWin (98-71)10-17274Q4
WashingtonHomeWin (73-69)15-1371Q2
Washington StateHomeWin (74-67)21-736Q2
ArizonaAwayLoss (50-97)22-63Q1
Arizona StateAwayLoss (73-76)14-15125Q2
CaliforniaAwayLoss (78-82)13-16115Q2
USCHomeWin (68-58)11-16102Q3
OregonHomeWin (86-70)19-963Q2
Oregon StateHomeWin (90-57)12-17161Q4
WashingtonAwayWin (98-81)15-1371Q1
Washington StateAwayLoss (69-78)21-736Q1
UtahAwayLoss (68-73)16-1153Q1
Arizona StateHomeWin (82-70)14-15125Q3
ArizonaHomeLoss (79-99)22-63Q1
UCLAAwayLoss (60-64)14-13112Q2
USCAwayWin (92-89 OT)11-16102Q2
UtahHomeWin (89-65)16-1153Q2
CaliforniaHomeWin (88-78)13-16115Q3
StanfordHome116Q3
OregonAway63Q1
Oregon StateAway161Q3
Pac-12 Tourney (TBD)
Pac-12 Tourney (TBD)
Pac-12 Tourney (TBD)

Colorado Summary
RecordHomeAwayNeutralQuad 1Quad 2Quad 3Quad 4NET RankKenPom Rank
19-915-11-52-11-57-44-07-02931

The other thing that gets looked at a lot is KenPom. That describes how you rate relative to other teams on different factors of play that lead to winning, then your record and how much good or bad luck you may have had to get to that record, and all of that related to the schedule difficulty. Of note on that with CU is that we've got a better offense than defense this year. As of 2/29, our O is rated #23 and our D is rated #60. We're also almost completely neutral on Luck - so we are what our record says we are this season.

Currently, the general prediction for CU's Dance positioning is firmly on the Bubble. Somewhere in that 11-seed play-in round or among the top snubs.

Last, some links:

NET Rankings (updated each morning): https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings
KenPom Rankings (updated close to real time): https://kenpom.com/
ESPN Bracketoloty (since it gets talked about the most): https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/s...logy-2024-march-madness-men-field-predictions
CBS Bracketology (next most referenced since they televise and Jerry Palm is pretty respected): https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/
Bracket Matrix (compiles & amalgamates all the bracketology sites): http://www.bracketmatrix.com/#google_vignette
Bracketometry (ranks as the #1 bracket accuracy over the past 5 years): https://www.bracketometry.com/
1-3-1 Sports (rates as the 2nd best bracket accuracy over the past 5 years): https://131sports.com/
So it’s your fault we didn’t win the league because of the reverse reverse jinx? Sad

So it’s your fault we didn’t win the league because of the reverse reverse jinx? Sad

U sound like Greg Marmalard.. Heywood r u on the cronic?

"Drunk, fat and stupid is no way to go through life son"--D. Wermer, Faber College circa 1967?

Bluto Blutofsky... 0.00... "Carmine: you can take your thumb out of my .... "

Nice job Nik w/ all the info....

Saturday's results saw a lot of losses from teams in our Buffs' NET neighborhood.

NET Rank on 3/2:

22. Clemson lost at Notre Dame
23. Wisconsin lost vs Illinois
24. Michigan State lost at Purdue
25. New Mexico lost at Boise State
27. Wake Forest lost at VA Tech
30. Colorado
31. Mississippi State lost at Auburn
34. Florida lost at South Carolina
37. TCU lost at BYU
41. Oklahoma lost vs Houston
44. SMU lost vs UTSA
46. Virginia lost at Duke
48. Northwestern lost vs Iowa

Bubble got softer today and seeding from 5-seed down got a lot more uncertain.

UW loss to USC was a real bummer, they are in jeopardy of dropping below 75 in net if they lose out against Wazou and the 1st round of the P12 tourney. Will make Oregon all that more important, can’t have 0 quad 1 wins.

The top 2 bracketologists for accuracy (131 and Bracketometry) both updated today and have CU as their 1st team out.

Bracket Matrix updated and we're the 2nd team out, but now are up to being in the field on 41 of the bracketologists they track & compile. I think it was only 32 on their previous release, so we're improving.

Jerry Palm (CBS) hasn't updated since Sunday.

The top 2 bracketologists for accuracy (131 and Bracketometry) both updated today and have CU as their 1st team out.

Bracket Matrix updated and we're the 2nd team out, but now are up to being in the field on 41 of the bracketologists they track & compile. I think it was only 32 on their previous release, so we're improving.

Jerry Palm (CBS) hasn't updated since Sunday.

Wake us now tied with us at 44 of the brackets but somehow 110 out of 125 still have UVA in the field

Beat ORE and @OSU and I'm not worried... On selection Sunday, Tad and Prime will have a special par-tey... If CU is left out, the players riot throwing cup cakes and tomatoes at the media. Prime then gets all the national exposure explaining how beautiful Boulder is; how he likes Tad/this team, and that the powers that be jobbed CU--hence us against them!!

From Caddy Shack: Carl holding Dennunzio's brother against barn with pitchfork talking about looping for the Lama--"there will no tip, gunga-galongaga . . . on [my] death bed I will receive total consciousness . . . so I got that going for me."

Looking at bracketmatrix: Utah and Virginia stick out as teams above us that shouldn't be. A lot of games of interest for CU today.

I think we want:
Villanova at Seton Hall
St. Joe's at Richmond
Boston College at Miami
Northwestern
at Michigan State (not sure about this one but I don't see NW being kept out)
TCU at West Virginia
Mississippi State at Texas A&M (I don't think a win for A&M vaults them back into contention)

Tomorrow:

Washington at Wazzou
- If we beat Oregon later then we wanted Washington to win. Secures them as a Quad 1 victory for us and likely kills Wazzou's chance of winning the PAC-12 so that we meet them in the PAC-12 semi-final instead of Arizona.
- If we lose to Oregon later then we wanted Wazzou to win to avoid seeing Arizona in the semi-final.
Arizona at UCLA
- Same logic as above but reversed. We want Arizona to finish first if we finish third and second if we're fourth.
Utah at Oregon State

Beat ORE and @OSU and I'm not worried... On selection Sunday, Tad and Prime will have a special par-tey... If CU is left out, the players riot throwing cup cakes and tomatoes at the media. Prime then gets all the national exposure explaining how beautiful Boulder is; how he likes Tad/this team, and that the powers that be jobbed CU--hence us against them!!

From Caddy Shack: Carl holding Dennunzio's brother against barn with pitchfork talking about looping for the Lama--"there will no tip, gunga-galongaga . . . on [my] death bed I will receive total consciousness . . . so I got that going for me."
Did I just have a stroke?

Bizarre post.

Reactions: GRM
One of the things I really dislike about the Quad thing is that the cutoffs are so arbitrary. The strength of your opponent and where you played them is already baked into NET. But then we have that graphic of Quad 1 / Quad 2 records as if there's this huge difference and the Q1 is sooooooo much more relevant.

If that's true, than someone make the case that someone who beat Pitt (NET 44) on a neutral court did something much more impressive than someone who beat Virginia (NET 51) on a neutral court. You can't. NET will treat those games about the same because they are about the same. But some mouth breather like Lunardi puts up Quad 1 data and they all talk on air about how the team with that Pitt win has a much more impressive resume.

One of the things I really dislike about the Quad thing is that the cutoffs are so arbitrary. The strength of your opponent and where you played them is already baked into NET. But then we have that graphic of Quad 1 / Quad 2 records as if there's this huge difference and the Q1 is sooooooo much more relevant.

If that's true, than someone make the case that someone who beat Pitt (NET 44) on a neutral court did something much more impressive than someone who beat Virginia (NET 51) on a neutral court. You can't. NET will treat those games about the same because they are about the same. But some mouth breather like Lunardi puts up Quad 1 data and they all talk on air about how the team with that Pitt win has a much more impressive resume.
This, and I also was thinking about the converse of this. A loss vs the number 75 team in the country on the road is the same for quad 1 record as a loss to number 1, and those aren’t remotely similar.

Same thing with Q4 home losses. You want to tell me losing to Oregon state at home, while awful, would be the same as losing to Detroit Mercy at home?

This, and I also was thinking about the converse of this. A loss vs the number 75 team in the country on the road is the same for quad 1 record as a loss to number 1, and those aren’t remotely similar.

Same thing with Q4 home losses. You want to tell me losing to Oregon state at home, while awful, would be the same as losing to Detroit Mercy at home?

I totally agree however I did come across this from Seth Davis. It's obviously good that the committee is (supposedly) looking at this level of granularity but you know that most these pundits like Lunardi aren't

I totally agree however I did come across this from Seth Davis. It's obviously good that the committee is (supposedly) looking at this level of granularity but you know that most these pundits like Lunardi aren't

No way the OSU AD is pouring over these resumes.

No way the OSU AD is pouring over these resumes.
The one positive with OSU there to represent Pac interests is that they're hemorrhaging cash and each unit (game played) in the Dance by a conference member brings about $2M. Money is a monumentally bigger motivation than spite when you aren't in a position of having "fvck you" money. If there's anything negative there, it's going to be that he'll lobby much harder for WSU than CU on getting a favorable seed & location.

Back