What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Pac 12 Tourney thread- #3 seed MEN'S bball (Las Vegas; their 1st game vs. #6 Utah/ #11 ASU winner, Thurs., 3/14, 9:30 PM MT, FS1)

Honest question. Should we be worried tomorrow?
Very, at least until we don’t get in. At that point we’ll all switch from worried to bummed out.

The only thing that gives me hope that the Buffs might get in, other than the fact that they should get in, is that I think Prime might serve as a tie breaker between us and another borderline power 5 school. Put CU in, you might get Prime showing up in the stands at some point, or at least Shedeur/Travis courtside.

What, exactly, did he do to win this game?

Did he do anything to take Dante out of the game?

Did he get KJ to quit playing hero ball with the passes?

Or did he sit back and play to not lose? Cause that's what I watched
They did play not to lose and Dante was a ****ing beast

I’m more worried of handwringing about selection Sunday, ultimately getting in, then getting smashed in round on and proving the haters right.

That’s the quintessential Tad scenario we all fear.
The play not to lose team that played tonight will get butt****ed by any 4,5, or 6 sead we face.

Do you have faith that play not to lose Tad is gonna have them ready to get an upset?

Don't forget he didn't call a timeout at the 1:45 mark instead of the 1:55 mark. That really did us in.
Answer the question ****stick

What did Tad do to contain Dante?

What plays were called to take him out of the game in the first half?

Who did Tad switch onto Dante to keep him from getting 11 o boards?

Which defense did we change to to contain him?

WHAT THE **** DID WE DO DIFFERENTLY TO DYOP HIM?

A 14 game win streak is too much to ask. Smart of the guys to reset it so they can win the NCAA Tournament.
I was going to post the same thing. We won 8 straight must win games. That kind of streak takes a toll. Then three straight games in the tournament. We were totally gassed. Hopefully this loss will allow us to reset and get reenergized.

WhatThe play not to lose team that played tonight will get butt****ed by any 4,5, or 6 sead we face.

Do you have faith that play not to lose Tad is gonna have them ready to get an upset?
Tom Cruise What GIF

I was going to post the same thing. We won 8 straight must win games. That kind of streak takes a toll. Then three straight games in the tournament. We were totally gassed. Hopefully this loss will allow us to reset and get reenergized.
Please.

Everyone bitched about how hard it was to win 4 in a row.

We get a bye, and now it's SOOOO hard to win 3 in a row?

Maybe we should put the goalposts on wheels.

Trying so, so hard to blame Tad for everything.
Blaming versus watching a guy who makes millions dig deep into the bag of great coaching tricks to get a win
Taking 3 timeouts to halftime with a team that is playing a 3rd game in 3 nights is lack of awareness
Having your Center, whether he has been abused or not sitting on the bench with just 4 fouls instead of 5 when we are 2-4 points behind and throwing a skinny freshman, an undersized forward that played 38 minutes, was not a solution.
Bottom line is we played bad, Oregon played average, and we lost a conference championship opportunity
Did you see the faces of a team that was locked in to win? Sad to see them not plugged in

On a related note...

I don't know how the coaches' box is a major point of emphasis at ALL levels next year.

We actually enforce it at the high school level. It really isn't that difficult-informal warning, stop the clock and warn them, and then a tech if the point still isn't across.

Amazed its such an issue in CBB.

I don't know how the coaches' box is a major point of emphasis at ALL levels next year.

We actually enforce it at the high school level. It really isn't that difficult-informal warning, stop the clock and warn them, and then a tech if the point still isn't across.

Amazed its such an issue in CBB.
WTF are you talking about?

Please.

Dude, I'm glad you came along and took over the "most pessimistic" title from me. LOL.

But I agree with most of what you say (maybe not the tone). A "Hack-a-Dante" approach down the stretch would have been one thing to try. A zone with a triangle around Dante would be another (although for teams that don't ever play zone, throwing a zone in the middle of a game is very hard).

But this game was lost because OR only had 3 turnovers. When's the last time you saw that? I'm not sure I ever have. Give credit to the Buffs for hanging in when OR committed 3 mistakes the whole game.

Please.

Everyone is pretty emotional about this game. I get it. But the fact is, no matter what CU did, it was going to be tough to contain Dante. We just needed to limit the other guys scoring, which we did to a certain extent. But when you give up 23 points off of 13 turnovers and score 0 points off of their three, no team is going to win this game. If we just give up half of their POT, we win this game.

This post makes no sense. You okay, dudehead?
No
Dude, I'm glad you came along and took over the "most pessimistic" title from me. LOL.

But I agree with most of what you say (maybe not the tone). A "Hack-a-Dante" approach down the stretch would have been one thing to try. A zone with a triangle around Dante would be another (although for teams that don't ever play zone, throwing a zone in the middle of a game is very hard).

But this game was lost because OR only had 3 turnovers. When's the last time you saw that? I'm not sure I ever have. Give credit to the Buffs for hanging in when OR committed 3 mistakes the whole game.
Hack a Dante didn't need to happen.

A team with "3 nba draft picks" on it that cant get 1 ****ing foul on a good, but not amazing player, who already has 2 fouls, isnt a team with "3 nba draft picks" - eother that or its coach is a ****ing idiot
Everyone is pretty emotional about this game. I get it. But the fact is, no matter what CU did, it was going to be tough to contain Dante. We just needed to limit the other guys scoring, which we did to a certain extent. But when you give up 23 points off of 13 turnovers and score 0 points off of their three, no team is going to win this game. If we just give up half of their POT, we win this game.
See above.

We LET him play in the 2nd half.

We ALLOWED him to win the game.

We did NOTHING to get rid of him.

Tad failed, miserably.

Altman coaching from the floor like six times.

****ing tell him to get back in your box or we'll stick you, Tony.
I noticed this too in the first half. Altman was definitely in the boundary elbow extend and maybe ever lower. The cynic in me thinks he chooses that spot intentionally as it’s a great location for a skip pass to a shooter or it at minimum forces the backside cutter to run more inside towards the defensive rotation.

It would be epic if a player just passed him the ball while he is jumping about on the court.

I noticed this too in the first half. Altman was definitely in the boundary elbow extend and maybe ever lower. The cynic in me thinks he chooses that spot intentionally as it’s a great location for a skip pass to a shooter or it at minimum forces the backside cutter to run more inside towards the defensive rotation.

It would be epic if a player just passed him the ball while he is jumping about on the court.
I’ve felt like players should do this. If the coach is in your space. Rifle one at his face. Easy technical and a broken nose. Seems like a simple fix. In our last Oregon game I was yelling for TDS to pass to the open guy on the wing until I realized it was Altman standing on the court in a black shirt

Overall my trip to the tournament exceeded expectations. Enjoyed the 2 wins and almost a 3rd despite the Buffs having an off night. Oregon fans were great and I enjoyed teaming up with them last night when they beat Arizona. Dante had an outstanding performance. Go Buffs!

We walk into halftime with a 7+ point lead if Dante doesn't play the last 10 minutes.

Eddie doesn't get a bull**** 3rd if Dante isn't playing after his early foul in the 2nd.

We win going away with Dante on the bench.

Tell me I'm wrong

Only thoughts I have on a ****ing ****ty ass day.

Oregon played their a+ game. They didn't make very many mistakes, their key players came up huge, and once they knew that Dante was unstoppable, they rode him. And I have to grudgingly tip my cap to Dana ****ing Altman for going to that zone to protect Dante once he picked up #3. That was sheer goddamn genius.

We probably played our b- game. We weren't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but we weren't at our best either. I kept thinking that we hadn't played our best, Oregon had, and it was still a close game, so if we could just tighten up, we'd win. But alas.

I am really worried Oregon took our spot. I will be so ****ing pissed.

Only thoughts I have on a ****ing ****ty ass day.

Oregon played their a+ game. They didn't make very many mistakes, their key players came up huge, and once they knew that Dante was unstoppable, they rode him. And I have to grudgingly tip my cap to Dana ****ing Altman for going to that zone to protect Dante once he picked up #3. That was sheer goddamn genius.

We probably played our b- game. We weren't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but we weren't at our best either. I kept thinking that we hadn't played our best, Oregon had, and it was still a close game, so if we could just tighten up, we'd win. But alas.

I am really worried Oregon took our spot. I will be so ****ing pissed.
It's impossible for Dante to have a great game without Tad's assistance. What are you talking about?

I kind of dismissed it, because the basketball game threads tend to be very emotional, but I think it's a legitimate question: Do we play better without Cody? Ball movement was very good in the games where Cody did not play. He's obviously an incredible talent. But the offense is different when he is in. It seems more that he gets the ball, and then ISO and hope for a foul.

This makes me think. If this is the case, and maybe it's not. What does a coach do? You can't sit him. Or maybe you do. But never thought about balancing recruiting vs results on the court.

No

Hack a Dante didn't need to happen.

A team with "3 nba draft picks" on it that cant get 1 ****ing foul on a good, but not amazing player, who already has 2 fouls, isnt a team with "3 nba draft picks" - eother that or its coach is a ****ing idiot

See above.

We LET him play in the 2nd half.

We ALLOWED him to win the game.

We did NOTHING to get rid of him.

Tad failed, miserably.
March 7 game:
CU - 79, OR - 75
Dante pts = 20
Turnovers: CU - 12, OR - 7
Pts Off TOs: CU - 13, OR - 21

Pac12 Final:
CU - 68, OR - 75
Dante pts = 25
Turnovers: CU - 13, OR - 3
Pts off TOs: CU -0, OR - 23

Oregon protected the ball better than CU. This is all on the players.

March 7 game:
CU - 79, OR - 75
Dante pts = 20

Pac12 Final:
CU - 68, OR - 75
Dante pts = 25

I don't think you understand. Players cannot have good games against us, unless tad helps them. That is not how basketball works. Players don't just have great games.

March 7 game:
CU - 79, OR - 75
Dante pts = 20

Pac12 Final:
CU - 68, OR - 75
Dante pts = 25

Dante shouldn't have been able to play most of the game - we allowed it, and paid for it.

I wonder who caused a lot of those CU Turnovers, and who got a lot of the points off of them?

Back