What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Transfer Portal News - Please Respect My Decision

this thread / transfer season is gonna break me. soooo much movement. i can't even believe what the CU scouting staff has to be sorting through

‘Cause Landman took his somewhat limited physical skills to the NFL because of his college coaching. ;)

I think there’s really a limit to how far a position coach can help. I leaning into the idea that the most important thing position coaches in CFB do is recruit—and pump up the sidelines?

Don’t forget that “Get Back” coach. That’s an absolute key position to fill.

‘Cause Landman took his somewhat limited physical skills to the NFL because of his college coaching. ;)

I think there’s really a limit to how far a position coach can help. I leaning into the idea that the most important thing position coaches in CFB do is recruit—and pump up the sidelines?
IMO, this is where I think Sapp will excel beyond expectations. If he recruits a group that commits to the work, then the one-on-one tutelage from an NFL HOF will pay in spades.

Have a source at a big P5 school. He said names you wouldn't even think would enter the portal will enter. That's how much money is out there for the taking. Schools like USC, A&M, Texas, etc are gonna thrive off this.
I think this is the new normal. Most of D1 will be feeder programs that lose their best players to transfer. Those who can shop in the portal and get what they want will be following the Coach Prime recruiting model of signing only around 15 preps per year.

I think this is the new normal. Most of D1 will be feeder programs that lose their best players to transfer. Those who can shop in the portal and get what they want will be following the Coach Prime recruiting model of signing only around 15 preps per year.
I think you're right.

And I think the additional effort and cost that comes with all that turnover is going to really hurt schools outside of the P2 (and a few others). this could dramatically increase the probability of a near-term break-off of the P2 from the rest of the D1/FBS.

I think you're right.

And I think the additional effort and cost that comes with all that turnover is going to really hurt schools outside of the P2 (and a few others). this could dramatically increase the probability of a near-term break-off of the P2 from the rest of the D1/FBS.
Big Ten/SEC Teams > High Tier D1 Teams > Lower Tier D1 Teams > D2/Ivy League/HBCU > JUCO

This is the new hierarchy we will see transfer portal players climb. There is a reason why Georgia players are worth hundreds of thousands of $.

I think you're right.

Currently, 12 of the top 13 in the rankings are teams that will be in the SEC or B1G next year. The only exception is FSU, which has said it is pursuing an out from the ACC. Basically, if we had the 12-team playoff it would pretty much be a B1G-SEC showdown.

Currently, 12 of the top 13 in the rankings are teams that will be in the SEC or B1G next year. The only exception is FSU, which has said it is pursuing an out from the ACC. Basically, if we had the 12-team playoff it would pretty much be a B1G-SEC showdown.
Well, the new Big 12, ACC and G5 Champs would also be included, but yes, your point is generally accurate

G5 Champs would also be incl
so, based on current standings and assuming the off-season realignment already happened, the 12 teams getting into a hypothetical playoff would be:
  1. Georgia (SEC auto)
  2. Michigan (B1G auto)
  3. Washington (Pac auto)
  4. FSU (ACC auto)
  5. Oregon
  6. OSU
  7. Texas
  8. Alabama
  9. Missouri
  10. Penn State
  11. Tulane (American auto)
  12. Ok State (XII auto)

Big Ten/SEC Teams > High Tier D1 Teams > Lower Tier D1 Teams > D2/Ivy League/HBCU > JUCO

This is the new hierarchy we will see transfer portal players climb. There is a reason why Georgia players are worth hundreds of thousands of $.
What’s new about that hierarchy? Outside of a few schools that recently joined the B1G/SEC, that’s been the norm for decades.

As conferences the Big Ten and SEC were not the cream for decades.
I started to post that, citing Clemson and FSU (and USC and Texas and a few others), but I think NW has a good point -- you can look at the top ten back in 2003 and the trend had already started of the SEC and B1G rising to the top.

I think you're both right

so, based on current standings and assuming the off-season realignment already happened, the 12 teams getting into a hypothetical playoff would be:
  1. Georgia (SEC auto)
  2. Michigan (B1G auto)
  3. Washington (Pac auto)
  4. FSU (ACC auto)
  5. Oregon
  6. OSU
  7. Texas
  8. Alabama
  9. Missouri
  10. Penn State
  11. Tulane (American auto)
  12. Ok State (XII auto)
Washington would be B1G. And the auto bids would be the only thing preventing 11 & 12 from being Ole Miss & Oklahoma from the SEC.

I started to post that, citing Clemson and FSU (and USC and Texas and a few others), but I think NW has a good point -- you can look at the top ten back in 2003 and the trend had already started of the SEC and B1G rising to the top.

I think you're both right
He’s right about the teams that will be in the future B1G and SEC, but as conferences, the Big 8/12, Pac 10 and ACC were every bit as dominant as the other two.

Washington would be B1G. And the auto bids would be the only thing preventing 11 & 12 from being Ole Miss & Oklahoma from the SEC.
thanks. I'm a moron. I think it would be this (didn't find anything explicit, but I'm assuming ND gets no special consideration here)
  1. Georgia (SEC auto)
  2. Michigan (B1G auto)
  3. Washington
  4. FSU (ACC auto)
  5. Oregon
  6. OSU
  7. Texas
  8. Alabama
  9. Missouri
  10. Tulane (American auto)
  11. Ok State (XII auto)
  12. Liberty (CUSA auto)

Mindset A: If I'm San Jose States head coach and we go up 2 TD's. I'm intentionally calling plays to keep the best players stats down going forward. I'm resting them earlier in each game and if I have a reasonable backup at QB I'm giving him a series or 2 each game to keep my starters numbers down and cast doubt on why he isn't playing all 4 Quarters. I'm not openly saying any of this but I'm absolutely creating an environment where more players are getting snaps and my best players are seeing the field less to limit their opportunities to move on to a Georgia.

Mindset B: Become a feeder school for a program and hopefully you get recruits to play for you because they know you can help them get to Georgia/Alabama/Michigan/USC in 2-3 years. Rinse and repeat and never have a chance at playing for a championship or anything that's actually interesting. Goal is to win your conference, keep your job, and possibly get an invitation to the big leagues of coaching someday.

Mindset A: If I'm San Jose States head coach and we go up 2 TD's. I'm intentionally calling plays to keep the best players stats down going forward. I'm resting them earlier in each game and if I have a reasonable backup at QB I'm giving him a series or 2 each game to keep my starters numbers down and cast doubt on why he isn't playing all 4 Quarters. I'm not openly saying any of this but I'm absolutely creating an environment where more players are getting snaps and my best players are seeing the field less to limit their opportunities to move on to a Georgia.

Mindset B: Become a feeder school for a program and hopefully you get recruits to play for you because they know you can help them get to Georgia/Alabama/Michigan/USC in 2-3 years. Rinse and repeat and never have a chance at playing for a championship or anything that's actually interesting. Goal is to win your conference, keep your job, and possibly get an invitation to the big leagues of coaching someday.
Trent Dilfer is the first HC I've heard embrace mindset B. His pitch to recruits is that he will help them get development, exposure/PT, and assist with them parlaying that into getting paid via the portal. Went 4-8 in his 1st year (first year in the AAC) and it will be interesting to see if UAB attracts prep talent this way to gain competitive advantage in its conference.

Trent Dilfer is the first HC I've heard embrace mindset B. His pitch to recruits is that he will help them get development, exposure/PT, and assist with them parlaying that into getting paid via the portal. Went 4-8 in his 1st year (first year in the AAC) and it will be interesting to see if UAB attracts prep talent this way to gain competitive advantage in its conference.

Funny you bring up Dilfer because I recently had some interesting conversations with a couple people connected to that program. I got the feeling he may be on a very short leash.

Pittman being the first coach fired during the 2024 season seems like a lock.
I think that Arkansas folks are going to look at it with Pittman & Odom like aTm folks did with Fisher & Elko - that the guy who left and did well was the reason for the success their HC previously had.

Back