What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Transfer Portal News - Please Respect My Decision

re: transfer class rankings

those who track this stuff closely, I seem to remember criticisms from last year that the systems were flawed and only tracked incoming but not outgoing or something like that.

is that still the case? what's the most respected ranking for transfer classes?

John Lee Eldridge III and Caleb Rillos from AFA in the portal as grad transfers. Rillos is a really good TE IMO. He was a threat in their passing game, and if you start at Air Force there......you have to be able to run block. I'd take a flyer on both guys if we don't have to jump through all kinds of hoops for them.
What the hell is an AFA grad tranfer?

Your posts prompted me to look and the AFA does have a Graduate Studies Program, but it does seem a bit different than most schools'.

This program is designed to advance the intellectual capacity of the Air Force and develop depth in their instructor cadre.

"As a first assignment after Academy" and "commissioned officer" tells us that participants in this program will be 2nd lieutenants and this work should serve the American people in some fashion.

There are athletic exceptions to those who represent America as athletes. For instance, I once assigned an newly-minted ensign to the U.S. Olympic team while she waited for flight school. And I had a squadron mate (played safety at the Academy) who was assigned to the U.S. Olympic Team as a bobsledder for two years or so.

But I have some real questions about 2nd lieutenants pursuing individual athletic opportunities.

This program is designed to advance the intellectual capacity of the Air Force and develop depth in their instructor cadre.

"As a first assignment after Academy" and "commissioned officer" tells us that participants in this program will be 2nd lieutenants and this work should serve the American people in some fashion.

There are athletic exceptions to those who represent America as athletes. For instance, I once assigned an newly-minted ensign to the U.S. Olympic team while she waited for flight school. And I had a squadron mate (played safety at the Academy) who was assigned to the U.S. Olympic Team as a bobsledder for two years or so.

But I have some real questions about 2nd lieutenants pursuing individual athletic opportunities.
Do I understand that you weren't literally questioning "how does someone attain graduate status at AFA" but more "are athletes using the grad transfer process doing so in way congruent with the mission and policies of the academy, and why is that allowed"?

Do I understand that you weren't literally questioning "how does someone attain graduate status at AFA" but more "are athletes using the grad transfer process doing so in way congruent with the mission and policies of the academy, and why is that allowed"?
I was questioning how and why are AFA grads allowed to play football at another university after commissioning.

After the American people have invested in their very expensive education for the past four years, the expectation is that they are out serving the American people in a clearly defined way. One way is to further their education at a very high level, yes (the program that you shared). But this doesn't seem to be the case with these grad transfer football players.

So what I'm saying is that I'm very curious what defendable program allows them to play football as a 2nd Lt.

And perhaps the answer is as simple as "they declined their commission and paid back their tuition and lodging."

But I'm curious.

That's a very succinct and unhelpful answer, Ken

Edit: that's better

I was questioning how and why are AFA grads allowed to play football at another university after commissioning.

After the American people have invested in their very expensive education for the past four years, the expectation is that they are out serving the American people in a clearly defined way. One way is to further their education at a very high level, yes (the program that you shared). But this doesn't seem to be the case with these grad transfer football players.

So what I'm saying is that I'm very curious what defendable program allows them to play football as a 2nd Lt.

And perhaps the answer is as simple as "they declined their commission and paid back their tuition and lodging."

But I'm curious.
I had the same question and there is no way these guys are paying back a few hundred thousand dollars in tuition and lodging.

Hold up a second...
IIRC, the academies implement the same protocol as ROTC scholarships regarding Middies'/Cadets' desire to continue.

If after your freshman year, you decide it's not for you, you may leave penalty free. However, if after freshman year, you pay back your time as an (in the Navy) unrated enlisted Sailor.

NOW - not fully researching this particular case not sure of details for the 2LT, BUT if someone goes into (at least) pro sports, the ENS/2LT takes a commission in the Reserve and serves out their commitment that way. Joe Cardona of the Patriots is doing this right now as an LT in the Navy Reserve.

Finally, there are programs out there where newly commissioned ENS/2LT may pursue graduate education as their "first tour" at civilian institutions wearing civvies every day for class. Maybe that's what this AFA player is doing and got a waiver to play football, because there's a waiver for EVERYTHING in the military.

Hold up a second...
IIRC, the academies implement the same protocol as ROTC scholarships regarding Middies'/Cadets' desire to continue.

If after your freshman year, you decide it's not for you, you may leave penalty free. However, if after freshman year, you pay back your time as an (in the Navy) unrated enlisted Sailor.

NOW - not fully researching this particular case not sure of details for the 2LT, BUT if someone goes into (at least) pro sports, the ENS/2LT takes a commission in the Reserve and serves out their commitment that way. Joe Cardona of the Patriots is doing this right now as an LT in the Navy Reserve.

Finally, there are programs out there where newly commissioned ENS/2LT may pursue graduate education as their "first tour" at civilian institutions wearing civvies every day for class. Maybe that's what this AFA player is doing and got a waiver to play football, because there's a waiver for EVERYTHING in the military.
That was my thought, that they received some type of deferment of their obligation while they pursued grad school/NFL opportunities.

John Lee Eldridge III and Caleb Rillos from AFA in the portal as grad transfers. Rillos is a really good TE IMO. He was a threat in their passing game, and if you start at Air Force there......you have to be able to run block. I'd take a flyer on both guys if we don't have to jump through all kinds of hoops for them.
How can an AFA player be a grad transfer? I thought that after their Freshman year they were obligated to service?

Edit: Didn’t see the other posts.

I hear bobsleds drive themselves.

Back