What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Transfer Portal News - Please Respect My Decision

What is Nebraska doing with the rest of us recruiting elites?
Squirrel Come At Me Bro GIF

blind squirrel yada

Will be interesting to look at how the services rate the guys we get this season compared to last season. Washington was the only guy last year to have higher than an 86 rating as a transfer.

David Connor...83
Kareem Harden...85
Isaiah Jatta...88
Jeremiah McCrimmon...NR
Jack Bailey...85
Savion Washington...88
Jack Wilty...86
Hank Zilinskas...83
Reggie Young...85
Tyler Brown...86
Landon Bebee...85

Kahlil Benson...87
Tyler Johnson...figuring an 88-90
Yakiri Walker...NR yet
Justin Mayers...88
Issiah Walker...89
Amari Ward...NR yet

Be interesting to track, but it's clear we're landing higher regarded players along the line this year.
Shows you how little these services know. Wilty, Beebe, Young and Bailey turned out to be more 75s than 85s.

Obviously basketball is different, but we can draw some parallels.

A 5* is probably a 1-and-done in hoops, so no difference in how long you will have the guy vs a Top 15 transfer. But you get more production (and likely fewer mistakes, better leadership & more professionalism with practice/ film/ other habits) than you'd get from a true frosh. Does more to win now than the 5* prep. Better use of your NIL resources.

Taking this to football, I think you get all the same advantages with the only difference being that you get a football recruit for 3 years before he can go to the NFL. But, realistically, the portal has changed that math. If he's unproductive, you paid for nothing while investing in developing him for no return (he either never produces or is dissatisfied with his PT and transfers for a new opportunity). If he gives you a productive year, then you got that season but now have to re-recruit and pay him like you would a transfer so that he doesn't get poached.

It's definitely the portal era. Transfers are a better investment when comparing apples-to-apples of a prep vs transfer on the same tier in their respective groups. Better off taking the production from a transfer and then snagging those preps you liked from the portal after they've gotten development and proven themselves somewhere else.

If I was coaching college football, I might only sign a handful of preps a year.

A 5* is probably a 1-and-done in hoops, so no difference in how long you will have the guy vs a Top 15 transfer. But you get more production (and likely fewer mistakes, better leadership & more professionalism with practice/ film/ other habits) than you'd get from a true frosh. Does more to win now than the 5* prep. Better use of your NIL resources.

Taking this to football, I think you get all the same advantages with the only difference being that you get a football recruit for 3 years before he can go to the NFL. But, realistically, the portal has changed that math. If he's unproductive, you paid for nothing while investing in developing him for no return (he either never produces or is dissatisfied with his PT and transfers for a new opportunity). If he gives you a productive year, then you got that season but now have to re-recruit and pay him like you would a transfer so that he doesn't get poached.

It's definitely the portal era. Transfers are a better investment when comparing apples-to-apples of a prep vs transfer on the same tier in their respective groups. Better off taking the production from a transfer and then snagging those preps you liked from the portal after they've gotten development and proven themselves somewhere else.

If I was coaching college football, I might only sign a handful of preps a year.
Yeah. I had a conversation with a Prime hater the other day about how transfers aren't rated the same as high school kids.

Landing a high 3 star transfer is basically landing an experienced, P5 starter level player.

I actually thought Wilty played better than Bebee and Bailey when given the chance.
It’s impressive you could see differences between individual OL standing up and looking back toward the QB as soon as the ball was snapped. Perhaps, he was faster getting out of his stance to turn around? Or maybe he used the momentum of the DL flying past to help him spin around quicker. (j/k)

(Honestly, I respect anyone who could watch those later games with any sense of analysis or detail.)

Give me Cody and I’m good.

Perfect reason why Bryce Underwood should come to CU.

Definitely feel like Lanning doing Ty Thompson the way he did should make some future high school QBs rethink Oregon, and of course you can expand that to most big time programs.

What the Nubs should worry about is Raiola being successful for a year or two and then leaving to be the type of guy the big time programs are bringing in.

Definitely feel like Lanning doing Ty Thompson the way he did should make some future high school QBs rethink Oregon, and of course you can expand that to most big time programs.

What the Nubs should worry about is Raiola being successful for a year or two and then leaving to be the type of guy the big time programs are bringing in.
Programs like us or Nebraska need to continue to recruit guys like this in hopes of becoming one of those schools that top guys want to transfer to.

Nebraska can only get there by winning games. Colorado has Prime which is a different appeal entirely, and we can get those guys already without the wins.

I honestly don't see Nebraska ever being that place again. They're hopelessly buried in the new Big Ten.

We have a better chance in the Big 12 and a evidence by going and getting Prime, we're obviously less adverse to swinging for the fences. And as you already said, as long as we have Prime, we're that place already.

poor Nebraska. Always the third wheel

In the big12 it was Texas and Oklahoma, with the awkward third wheel of nub

Now the big10 it’s Michigan and Ohio state

truly tragic.

I honestly don't see Nebraska ever being that place again. They're hopelessly buried in the new Big Ten.

We have a better chance in the Big 12 and a evidence by going and getting Prime, we're obviously less adverse to swinging for the fences. And as you already said, as long as we have Prime, we're that place already.
Their only hope is boosters stepping up... Apparently that's happening as rumors are they've got around $15 million for NIL this off season.

Tony White and his defense was very good and he should be getting HC looks now IMO. In looking it up up, Rhule who I’d remembered as an offensive coach, made an interesting switch mid career from DL coach to QB coach at Temple.

White has the 3-3 system from Rocky Long and it works. Plus he’s a good recruiter. I’d expect him to be Chip Kelly's replacement next year. Fingers crossed

Their only hope is boosters stepping up... Apparently that's happening as rumors are they've got around $15 million for NIL this off season.
That’s a huge bag and I think the thought leaders have realized, they have to buy a place at the elite table. The ceiling for just building it is lower than elite. They need to buy a handful of free agents that are the difference makers just like the NFL. And they need to way outspend programs that have other things to attract players such as recent success, or CP.

$15 million is about right

Back