1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4/3 Spring Practice Recap

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by CBuffsU, Apr 3, 2009.

1. CBuffsU

CBuffsU New Member

2. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

excellent, thanks!

3. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Wow. Our defensive line is going to be a problem if we are running a 3-3-5.

4. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

huh?

5. buffaholic

CBuffsU - thanks for the recaps. Can you confirm if they are really playing a 3-4 or are they running their base 4-3 with a LB lined up on the line of scrimmage?

6. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Everything is a problem to you unless you're talking about your true team the Sooners.

7. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Will Pericak playing well isn't a surprise to me. I think DE is going to be a great position for him. Good move by the coaches to figure out that his talents are best used on the defensive side of the line of scrimmage. I'm looking for some good contributions from Pericak this year.

8. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I'm under the impression that Pericak is a DT.

9. sackman

If so, then I take back everything I said. His speed and size make him a better candidate for DE. He played linebacker in HS and was a freek. He doesn't have the body type suited for DT. He's a tall kid.

10. unbiasedtruth

unbiasedtruth Well-Known Member

3-3-5 defense alignment was used more and more against teams that use a variation of the "spread" offense last year in....

6 players (3dl and 3lb) committed to stop the run, safeties can come up and play run support too if need be,... and basically 8 players (3 lb and 5db) to stop the pass either in man-to-man or zone coverage or a zone/man hybrid scheme on pass plays.... additionally the LBs can delay blitz, use stunts to pass rush, speed rush off of either side of the de and also "spy" the qb if he is a scrambler or to keep him from getting outside to buy time....

all this done without having to shuttle players off and on the field, especially when offenses switch formations within their spread offense giving it different looks without substituting. Defense cannot substitue players unless there is an injury to a defensive player, or the offense makes a substitution of players 1st...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  11. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

With our talent and the offenses we play, I think this is a great idea!:thumbsup:

12. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

CU ran a 4-2-5 under Barnett his last few years (until Hank came back) and it sucked.

3-3-5 sounds like the 4-2-5 all over again.

But since CU hasn't done much DL recruiting over the past several years I guess it is a necessity.

13. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

What I hope is the difference is that we'll have more athletes who are able to play the crossover positions well. You need to have players that can play LB and also that can rush as DEs. You also need to have LBs that can stop the run but also drop into coverage on TEs or RBs like a safety or nickleback. Our strength appears to be at CB and at LB, so if we have the crossover players in the LB unit, especially LBs that can create pressure on the QB, it could work out much better.

14. jjbuffs13

jjbuffs13 Well-Known Member

The thing I noticed most about the update was that by having players like Simas matching up against Jimmy and the linebackers against the runningbacks it will make each player better. Sure Jimmy Smith gave up those 2 catches to Simas (who is a freak of nature IMO) but that will make Jimmy Smith better the next time that play comes up he will know how to react.

Same goes for everyone else. When the DL has a nice spin move to sack the QB, the lineman whom he beat will know how to react and prevent that from happening the next time. By having playmakers on both sides of the ball, they will learn techniques on how to better themeselves.

I also like the idea of sticking the biggest and tallest hogmollies in the special teams unit to put a bear paw up and block kicks, it makes sense.

15. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

uhhhhhh football has changed a lot since Barnett was the coach. Defenses and offenses especially have changed, not a little, A LOT!

16. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

I keep seeing speedy,lockridge and sumler running in the vids but not scott. He must be focusing on punting. :smile2:

17. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

He is so fast you just can't see him on tape. :thumbsup:

18. BuffsRising

BuffsRising Well-Known Member

So if we face a team that is running 4 wr sets, we should run a 4-3 defense anyway, and have a linebacker covering a wideout?

Whether its a 4-2-5 or a 3-3-5, if we need extra defensive backs on the field that's what we should do. Besides, from what I read we are going to using a lot of press coverage this year so we can blitz the qb and crowd the box, which is a good thing.

19. MSBuff

MSBuff Well-Known Member

The Shadow knows.:laugh:

20. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Logically, if we are weak at DT, then the alignment that uses the fewest DTs would best fit our personnel, so I vote for a 0-6-5 alignment, maybe go to 0-5-6 on 3rd and long. Offensive linemen around the league will freak out with no one to lean on...

21. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King Club Member

where are these videos yall speak of

22. sackman

If we pull that weaksauce 3-man rush bullchit against Missouri AGAIN this year, my head will explode. There is a blueprint for how to beat that team and it does NOT include rushing three guys and allowing them to pick you apart all the way down the field.

23. buffaholic

Thanks for the Defense 101, but that wasn't my question. You stated that "Our defensive line is going to be a problem if we are running a 3-3-5."

I was simply wondering why our DL would suck in a 3-3-5 more so than in other alignments?

24. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

cubuffs.com has video of practices,
    http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle....DB_OEM_ID=600&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

Kyle Ringo has some video up on premium scout, too.
    http://colorado.scout.com/
    He has interviews with some players and recent commits, including DeVaughn Thornton.

And the Camera has this one up on Buffzone.com
    http://www.buffzone.com/videos/detail/video-watch-spring-football-day-2/

There are more on the Camera site, but I don't see them grouped together.

25. unbiasedtruth

unbiasedtruth Well-Known Member

see above bold as who said the CU defensive line was going to be a problem.... twasn't I.

you will have to get an answer for you last question from the person who posted the original comment... I cannot answer for him.... :cool:?