What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All in One DirecTV Hates Pac-12 Network Thread (Was Larry Scott Thread)

Honestly wouldn't be upset to skip out on ESPN. Especially if it lowers fees. They show virtually no Pac sports or West Coast sports, so it wouldn't bother me. If there's an event I need to see I'd be more than happy to catch it at the neighborhood bar.

I'd definitely rather have the Pac than ESPN, and it's not even close...

This will be interesting to watch:popcorn:

ESPN is one of the highest rated channel packages out there.

Dish and ESPN need each other. Dish has a lot of customers who won't stay with Dish if ESPN isn't a part of them. At the same time Dish has a huge number of subscribers. Not being on Dish cuts the value of advertising on ESPN by a big amount and does the loss of the fees Dish pays.

We may spend a few days or even a couple of weeks without ESPN on Dish but I don't see either side letting it go much past that.

ESPN is one of the highest rated channel packages out there.

Dish and ESPN need each other. Dish has a lot of customers who won't stay with Dish if ESPN isn't a part of them. At the same time Dish has a huge number of subscribers. Not being on Dish cuts the value of advertising on ESPN by a big amount and does the loss of the fees Dish pays.

We may spend a few days or even a couple of weeks without ESPN on Dish but I don't see either side letting it go much past that.

Dish will cave first and ESPN knows it. ESPN knows DISH will pass on or eat the $2 a month rather than risk losing customers by the millions.

Dish will cave first and ESPN knows it. ESPN knows DISH will pass on or eat the $2 a month rather than risk losing customers by the millions.

And this is why programming providers are scared ******** of the idea of a la carte programming...

The problem for Dish is that it's not just ESPN, it's ABC, Disney, etc. The Disney Mafia will crush them like a bug.

Honestly wouldn't be upset to skip out on ESPN. Especially if it lowers fees. They show virtually no Pac sports or West Coast sports, so it wouldn't bother me. If there's an event I need to see I'd be more than happy to catch it at the neighborhood bar.

I'd definitely rather have the Pac than ESPN, and it's not even close...

This will be interesting to watch:popcorn:

Actually, I hadn't thought of it like that. Things really changed after the move to pac12 and the new pac12 network, now pac12 network is really the only one that matters now, plus some of the fox sports nets. Yeah, screw ESPN, go DISH! Though, it will be a pain the ass for basketball season some. Last year a handful of games were on ESPNU.

Something to note for the folks that say they don't care if Dish were to lose ESPN. A number of the buffs basketball games end up on ESPNU. If you follow basketball, losing the ESPN family of channels will suck.

ESPNU is also not broadcast in HD on Dish. Pisses me off.

All the networks are now available on pac12.com live streaming. Pac 12 networks gets it. Can't bash them, 5 out of 5, impressed.

Last edited:
All the networks are now available on pac12.com live streaming. Pac 12 networks gets it. Can't bash them, 5 out of 5, impressed.

I am a directTV customer...and don't want to go to comcast...but I am going to devote one TV set up in the house to comcast just for the football season.

My big concern has to do with comcasts' internet access to the Pac-12 regional feeds. I do NOT have comcast internet...and as most of you know, comcast doesn't allow you to use the pac-12's technology/website to access the feeds. Since I live in Oregon, the only way for me to see the Mountain regional feed is via the internet. Can I get that via comcast if comcast is NOT my internet provider? (I have read conflicting info about this on other message boards).

And, just let me add my voice to the chorus of those saying that it is B.S. that I even have to worry about this. The Pac-12 netowrk promised MORE access...but until they get a deal with direct tv, I went from seeing about 8 games a season, to about 2 games. I have read both sides' positions, and I gotta say, I understand where directtv is coming from. Why should all these people around the country pay for the pac-12 network if they don't want it? I'd pay 30 bucks a month for it myself...

@1989Buff I am in Denver, I have DISH, am watching Pac 12 bay area live on my tablet and Pac 12 mountain live on my desktop right now. I have Comcast internet. I don't know about non Comcast internet subscribers. All I can find is http://support.pac-12.com/home would also recommend emailing pac 12 network.

Pac 12 is apparently rolling out a school specific ad campaign today urging customers to switch away from DirecTV.

Something to note for the folks that say they don't care if Dish were to lose ESPN. A number of the buffs basketball games end up on ESPNU. If you follow basketball, losing the ESPN family of channels will suck.

ESPNU is also not broadcast in HD on Dish. Pisses me off.
Second that.

comcast is still lagging behind in its distribution as well. No mobile support for live streaming of the Pac-12. Really irritating.

comcast is still lagging behind in its distribution as well. No mobile support for live streaming of the Pac-12. Really irritating.

I'd like to say this is a Pac 12 thing but it looks like Comcast's mobile live streaming is **** in general, they are so far behind DirectTV and Dish (in particular) on that front. Dish bought Slingbox, who's technology has been incorporated into their Hopper box, which is widely recognized as the best STB on the market right now.

I just got around to updating all my iPad apps and it looks like they have actually removed the live feed functionality for the channels that were already in their Xfinity Remote app and separated out the programming content into their new OnDemand app which is only OnDemand content, likely because they eventually want to charge you more for mobile live streaming (despite the fact that there should be zero difference in the live streaming service by device. Its an artificial barrier based on mobile having a much higher value proposition, its not like Comcast is a wireless carrier so its not their bandwidth).

Comcast apparently has full TV live streaming available in Denver and Nashville, but it requires a separate device and extra $10 a month (of course...cuz Comcast), but it only works on your wi-fi in your house. Not surprising the thing hasn't taken off if you can only use it on your tablet or phone when you're out in the backyard or in the bathroom, not much of a use case there to justify the extra cost.

Life will be much better when they switch over to full IP based technology, theoretically with cloud based storage you should be able to access your DVR content (and hopefully live TV content from anywhere).

Last edited:
Pac 12 is apparently rolling out a school specific ad campaign today urging customers to switch away from DirecTV.
What they should do is work with Dish. A DTV customer could call a number and Dish would handle the switch. And, maybe, offer a deal to those who have time remaining on their DTV contract.

What they should do is work with Dish. A DTV customer could call a number and Dish would handle the switch. And, maybe, offer a deal to those who have time remaining on their DTV contract.

They've tried to make it as easy as possible, but I don't think there is a regulatory requirement to support a TV provider cancellation unless the customer calls in person, that only works for phone service because the Feds made them do it since the traditional phone markets were regulated monopolies before the CLECs and IP-based phone service came along.

Their switch page is pretty good though.

http://pac-12.com/switch?school=pac12

Here is the Colorado specific video for the new ad campaign, from what I could see the other school ads were similar variations on the theme:

[video]http://pac-12.com/videos/colorado-fans-have-you-switched[/video]

Colorado_0.JPG

Good luck getting out of any early termination penalty with DTV. I heard this AM that they are even enforcing them when the customer dies prior to the end of the contract.

Good luck getting out of any early termination penalty with DTV. I heard this AM that they are even enforcing them when the customer dies prior to the end of the contract.

Would Dish or a cable company offer to "help out" with the Directv penalty? I know my company does stuff like that when dealing with competition

Well, this could backfire in Scott's face too. If they go all out in trying to get people to switch and people don't switch, DirecTV will have the advantage.

Well, this could backfire in Scott's face too. If they go all out in trying to get people to switch and people don't switch, DirecTV will have the advantage.
will it be able to say no louder or something?

[video=youtube;6zf0VT1XZos]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zf0VT1XZos&feature=youtu.be[/video]

No, there is no downside, except for maybe hurt feelings. Direct TV positions themselves as the sports leader, and I think most sports fans think of them that way. This is actually damaging that that brand image, maybe fairly significantly, because there never has been anything that caused people to question their leadership there before. It is the brand, at least as much as the numbers of people that switch, that Direct should be trying to protect.

You should see the Direct TV sales guys wimper and retreat when I mention pac12 network to them at Costco here in northern ca when they pitch me. Sports is a big deal to these guys.

Last edited:
Larry Scott: No DirecTV for Pac12Network this year

If the PAC-12 runs this smear campaign and DirecTV doesn't lose a lot of customers then it certainly supports DirecTV's position that the package isn't that valuable.

Back