What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All time Big 12 Colorado team

To me, it's really hard to pick a team like this. I mean, are we talking about pure talent or production? What good is pure talent if you dont get the kind of production that type of talent should? We've had some really good receivers, imho McKnight is one of them.

The WR's that deserve 'discussion' in this debate are (in no particular order):

Rae Carruth - The only lock imho
D. Mcoy
Phil Savoy
Scotty Mcknight
DJ Hackett
D. Chiaverini
Jeremy Bloom
Javon Green

Personally, My top three are Carruth, McCoy and Hackett. As good a producer Mcknight has been, I can't bring myself to elevate him into the top 3-4

what was Matt Lepsis' last year at CU.....96?

I think it was '95, including the '96 bowl game. For some reason I'm remembering him as being on the All-Big 8 team. Could be wrong, though. Good college TE.

I think it was '95, including the '96 bowl game. For some reason I'm remembering him as being on the All-Big 8 team. Could be wrong, though. Good college TE.

sounds about right. Obviously, Lepsis cashed his NFL checks at tackle for the Broncos....but, TE is a pretty deep position for the CU all Big XII team. Graham, Klop, Syp, Lepsis, etc. TE and LB, both some outstanding players for the Buffs across the time frame.

Didn't Lepsis have a lot of turf toe type of problems? I seem to remember his production being curtailed due to injury.

Why is everyone dogging on McKnight? The guy may end up being CU's career leader in both receptions and receiving yards. That will launch him ahead of everyone except Carruth, IMO.

McKnight is a good solid football player who is a nice slot receiver. But that being said he is a journeyman type of guy who has benefited from an offense that is throwing the ball over 400 times a season. He is not the type of WR who makes a defense game plan against him. Throw the ball 470 times a season and see what type of statistics that Carruth would have. Carruth, Hackett, McCoy, are the type of guys who give DCs fits. Javon Green and Savoy dropped too many. Jeremy Bloom would be in the discussion if he had played more.

I would go with McNight, the dude will own every single recieving record after this year. This list is not about talent, it is about the production these buffs have done for us. If it was going off talent and potential, guys like Marcus Houston and Darrell Scott would be ahead on the runningbacks list of Chris Brown and Bobby Purify.

The hating on McKnight is comical. But the mention of Jeremy Bloom is even better. That guy is a legend in the eyes of so many fans and I do not understand it all. He was a decent receiver with some serious speed, that is about it. His route running was average at best and he was a good PR. But to mention him as a possible all-time great Buff WR? Wow.

I would go with McNight, the dude will own every single recieving record after this year. This list is not about talent, it is about the production these buffs have done for us. If it was going off talent and potential, guys like Marcus Houston and Darrell Scott would be ahead on the runningbacks list of Chris Brown and Bobby Purify.

I don't think anyone has suggested a player based on what their 'potential' is. All mentioned have both produced and have talent to varying degrees. Yes, Mcknight has produced and he IS talented, but he's not exactly a threat to any defense. In the clutch I would rather the ball be thrown to McCoy, Hackett, or Carruth. They we're all more of a deep threat (helping to stretch the field, opening up other parts of the game), could block down field, and we're better gaining yards after the catch.

Its not a knock on Scotty, I just think the those 3 were better all-around WR's.

I don't think anyone has suggested a player based on what their 'potential' is. All mentioned have both produced and have talent to varying degrees. Yes, Mcknight has produced and he IS talented, but he's not exactly a threat to any defense. In the clutch I would rather the ball be thrown to McCoy, Hackett, or Carruth. They we're all more of a deep threat (helping to stretch the field, opening up other parts of the game), could block down field, and we're better gaining yards after the catch.

Its not a knock on Scotty, I just think the those 3 were better all-around WR's.

I can agree with Hackett and Carruth. McCoy was more of a possession receiver with a bit more size than McKnight. Someone specifically said McKnight has little talent and seriously tried to say that he would have trouble choosing between Dusty Sprague and McKnight.

McKnight has produced out of position for three straight seasons. He at least deserves some mention.

The hating on McKnight is comical. But the mention of Jeremy Bloom is even better. That guy is a legend in the eyes of so many fans and I do not understand it all. He was a decent receiver with some serious speed, that is about it. His route running was average at best and he was a good PR. But to mention him as a possible all-time great Buff WR? Wow.

I would put Bloom on the list for return man with Kelly, but not on the list as WR. Although I think I would put Kelly down as both return man and CB.

I can agree with Hackett and Carruth. McCoy was more of a possession receiver with a bit more size than McKnight. Someone specifically said McKnight has little talent and seriously tried to say that he would have trouble choosing between Dusty Sprague and McKnight.

McKnight has produced out of position for three straight seasons. He at least deserves some mention.

I agree, Mcknight absolutely deserves mention and comparing him to Sprague is a bit insane IMHO. But calling McCoy a possesion receiver is no less insane :smile2: The stats prove otherwise.

Bwaaahaaahaahahahahahaha... People are ripping on mcknight?

WTF? You guys are ****ing dent-heads. Have you watched any games recently? Just because mcknight doesn't have the best measurables on the team does not mean he hasn't been the most productive player.

"Oh no, he has a Hawkins conection - he's a bum." **** that, and **** you guys. McKnight has been a huge bright spot in a particularly bad time. Give the guy his due.

I can't believe I have to post this ****.

I really disagree with that, McCoy was much more than a possession receiver. He did not have the blazing speed of a Carruth but he certainly had enough speed for the college game and he ran great routes. Look at his yards per reception...pretty good. He had server receptions of over 50 yards. Simas and McCoy are very similar.

I'm not hating on McKnight, I love the guy, but I'm taking Hackett. If we're just going on numbers, I imagine you'd have to put our boy CH in the discussion at QB.

McKnight is a good solid football player who is a nice slot receiver. But that being said he is a journeyman type of guy who has benefited from an offense that is throwing the ball over 400 times a season. He is not the type of WR who makes a defense game plan against him. Throw the ball 470 times a season and see what type of statistics that Carruth would have. Carruth, Hackett, McCoy, are the type of guys who give DCs fits. Javon Green and Savoy dropped too many. Jeremy Bloom would be in the discussion if he had played more.

Has he also benefited from a great QB? Or how about a great running game? Dominant offensive line? Other great WRs?

I agree, Mcknight absolutely deserves mention and comparing him to Sprague is a bit insane IMHO. But calling McCoy a possesion receiver is no less insane :smile2: The stats prove otherwise.

I really disagree with that, McCoy was much more than a possession receiver. He did not have the blazing speed of a Carruth but he certainly had enough speed for the college game and he ran great routes. Look at his yards per reception...pretty good. He had server receptions of over 50 yards. Simas and McCoy are very similar.

Fair enough on McCoy. It is an interesting debate to have. I wish McKnight could have had some more help the last few years.

I'm not hating on McKnight, I love the guy, but I'm taking Hackett. If we're just going on numbers, I imagine you'd have to put our boy CH in the discussion at QB.

It is not just numbers though. Anyone can watch the last couple seasons and realize Cody Hawkins is a subpar QB. You can also watch the same games and realize that McKnight just gets the job done on a team with very few offensive weapons.

Fair enough on McCoy. It is an interesting debate to have. I wish McKnight could have had some more help the last few years.

It is not just numbers though. Anyone can watch the last couple seasons and realize Cody Hawkins is a subpar QB. You can also watch the same games and realize that McKnight just gets the job done on a team with very few offensive weapons.

No doubt McKnight gets the job done. The kid is smart, tough, runs good routes, has good hands - but he is not a game changer. The subpar QB play has a bigger impact on the more speedy downfield receivers, JFly is a good example. I went back and watched a DVD of the FSU away game a couple of years ago and he was consistently beating the FSU defenders and stretching the defense.

No doubt McKnight gets the job done. The kid is smart, tough, runs good routes, has good hands - but he is not a game changer. The subpar QB play has a bigger impact on the more speedy downfield receivers, JFly is a good example. I went back and watched a DVD of the FSU away game a couple of years ago and he was consistently beating the FSU defenders and stretching the defense.

Now we are talking about Josh Smith? please he was quick in a straight line, that was it.

McNight doesn't drop passes that cost them the game, Cody likes to throw interceptions when the team is about to take a good lead on the road in Austin texas and cost the game.

Back