1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allbuffs will no longer be posting articles from The Denver Post.

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Matt, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Matt

Matt Nerd Drone Pilot Club Member

Full Denver Post article can be found here. http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16594528

2. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Okey dokey.

Headlines and links okay? A gentle paraphrase of the content?

3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

They won't be missed.

4. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

great way to grow a failing business model. limit access to one's ads and decrease ad revenue.

5. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

The Post should make sure that Henderson doesn't steal content (errr, rumors) from here.

1 person likes this.
  6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

If you quote the Denver Post, you should limit it to the headline and no more than 2 sentences or lines of type + a link to the original article. No photos from the DP.

7. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

They are so dumb

8. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

God newspapers can burn in hell. How much ****ing traffic do they get from sites like ours? They don't understand the new age. Dumbasses

9. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Fukkem. It's not like I needed an excuse to quit reading that rag. How did The Rocky Mountain News lose to these clowns again?

10. BuffsRising

BuffsRising Well-Known Member

fify

If we want to see what the post has to say about CU football, we can just go to an Oregon board where Henderson probably posts all of his articles first anyway.

11. DixonU

DixonU Member

Fine by me! Those tree hugging, welfare loving, bleeding heart liberals can suck me anyway. Now, can we figure out a way to make BCS no longer post his info on this board?

12. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Matt, did they email you to stop or did you find this somewhere?

13. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Well that's one way not to have to be confronted by Henderson's drivel, Woody's wordiness and Kiszla's crud.

If that means no more Natalie Messler and Tom what's his face, then that's a price I can afford.

14. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Death to dinosaur media. Most there **** is garbage anyway looking at you Henderson.

I wouls recommend cancelling your subscription, those that have it.

15. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

:stupid: Ideology has nothing to do with it, bad business is bad business.

16. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

They posted a notice on their website this morning. They're ok with posting a little bit of an article or a headline. Not with a whole article (that's always been against the policy here anyway) or their pictures. They topped it off by threatening legal action against violators. We really don't need that kind of liability, so we won't be posting their **** anymore, and we'll have to monitor what everybody else posts. Thanks to ****la and Woody, most of their crap won't be missed....

17. MiamiBuffs

I don't post much from The Post. Too bad for them. I have to tell you I am awed by how much things have changed in the 12 years that I left the biz. Its been a sea change for the industry. I am not sure we are better off. If the Post succumbs we will be getting our Buff stories from 9news. [/shiver] TV is too shallow.

18. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

The newspaper industry ****ed themselves when they established their web sites as free content for anybody to read when they first went on the web. Ad revenue isn't going to keep them alive, and they've now established in people's minds that they shouldn't have to pay to read the content online. Paying people to generate content that you turn around and give away is simply not a reasonable way to try to generate profits....

bombay likes this.
  19. MiamiBuffs

It's a little more complicated than that but your pretty spot on.

I'll give you an example. The Associated Press has an office in Denver as it does most all state capitals. The AP employs writers and photographers that pool coverage of the State House and Denver Sports etc. Which is funded by the AP members (GJ paper, Durango, Greeley, Fort Collins, Pueblo, etc.) Those papers get to use the stories without sending a writer-a big savings because they have access to the wire.

The AP could see this thing coming from miles away and sat sort of neutral while online establishments began buying AP memberships and publishing the stories. Thus they offered a free version of the same story. AFP, Reuters, all did this. It's competition kinda like being outsourced to China or Mexico. To survive these little papers and even the Post concentrate on local stories, HS sports, Local Governemnt, for example, that the AP does not cover to remain relevant.

When the race to the bottom ends I am not sure we will be better informed.

20. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

Gee no more idiots like Woody Paige - what will I do? Newspapers will join vinyl records in the trash heap. My blackberry is easier to read on the pot anyway.

21. buffaloflyer

buffaloflyer Member

I agree, no big loss

22. AlferdJasper

One of their prep writers, Ryan Casey, posted a note on the Rivals Prep site a few weeks ago, I should have saved it.
    Basically, if you want to write the headline, a summary sentence (what you are linking to) and the link, they have no problem with that.

In fact, he posted on Rivals and thanked someone for doing just that.

23. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Ryan's good people.

24. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

**** that. If you post one sentence too many, they sue not only the site but also the person who put it up. They can kiss my sweaty nutsack.

25. rcasey

rcasey Member

This is exactly right. We have no problem with people linking to our stuff, so long as they do it in a fair way. (In other words, like AlferdJasper said: headline, one or two paragraphs of the story, and then a link.)

Ryan

26. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Thanks for clarifying Ryan.

For us, it is scary to think that we could cross that line without realizing it. We are a non-profit, privately owned website and it is tough for me to think of the effect that litigation could have on myself and my family. Are we overly worrying? Absolutely we are... but not without good reason. We've seen some of the lawsuits that have come out recently.

I will discuss this with the other admins to see if we want to loosen the policy.

27. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Once the Denver Post fires Jizla and Henderson, I'll read them again. Until that time, I really don't care what their policy is about linking content.

28. AlferdJasper

Well, then this would work out beautifully for you, because we can tell you when another Post writer has something of interest, and the rest of the time you can avoid. I also do not read Henderson. It doesn't matter what the topic, it's just my personal rule.

There have been, and will be, some great stories and profiles on Colorado preps next year that you may want to know about.

The Buffs are looking at a number of in-staters.

29. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

The company that was founded to enforce the print-media copyrights, Righthaven, has been getting pounded in the courts.

From the linked article below:
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/09/righthaven-on-life-support/

30. buffmeister

buffmeister New Member