1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allright, I get to see TTech blow the doors off Sumlin's Houston team tonight

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by JimmyBuff, Sep 26, 2009.

1. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Looking forward to shutting up all the Sumlin lovers here.. The end of the Kevin Sumlin to CU bandwagon.. :thumbsup:

ESPN 2 at 6:15 Pacific. :thumbsup:

Houston favored by one.. :rofl:

2. buffwings

buffwings Club Member Club Member

hmm, interesting. AND IF Sumlin wins or at least keeps it close, will it convince you he is an up and coming coach that CU could do well to hire?

:confused:

Normally I'm with you Jimmy, but I think Sumlin would be a good hire, not my top choice mind you but we could do much worse.

3. JimmyBuff

Keep it close? He's favored to win..

And no it will not convince me he's an up and coming coach but I don't think I have to worry about that tonight.. His resume is still worse than Talkins was before he got here..

4. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

K-Sum's in my top 5 but I'd like to see how the rest of the season plays out. East Carolina had a pretty impressive start last year playing through a bitch of a nonconference schedule and ended up cooling off midseason, dropping a couple to CUSA foes. If Houston dominates the conference I'll be more sold.

5. buffwings

buffwings Club Member Club Member

Favored, yes, I know. But we all know what the record is of prognosticators have been this season and every season before. So I put only so much stock on predictions. "Any given Saturday..." and all that.

But based on what I've seen and read about Sumlin I believe the man can coach very well. Much better than our current HC. Now I'm not a "only hire Sumlin for the CU job" advocate by any means, but I do think he would be a good choice.

6. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

we'd be lucky to get Sumlin, whether he's "all that" or not. he and patterson are in the holding pattern waiting for Sherman to blow it at ATM IMO.

7. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Sumlin at least has BCS coaching experience, which Hawkins never had before he came to CU.

8. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I think TT does win this one, but I still like Sumlin and would welcome hiring him!:thumbsup:

9. Buff fanatic

Buff fanatic Well-Known Member

Love Sumlin, I did even last year when his team played Okie State and I read a big article about him. Big fan. Im on wait and see mode with Hawk, but, Sumlin would be my favorite if Hawk's canned. Oh---and my lock of the week is Houston -1. Book it, Jimmy.

10. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

Sumlin was the step up, fill in OC for Texas ATM when they upset then #1 OU in 02 or 03.

Reggie McNeal's bust redshirt game.

11. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

I highly doubt Houston wins the game. That would mean they will have beat 2 Big 12 South teams in two out of the last three weeks.
    I just hope the game is a high scoring event as I took the over 73 1/2 :cool:

12. JimmyBuff

If A&M wanted Patterson they would have hired him after they got rid of Fran..

13. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I don't think Patterson is interested in the A&M job. Other Big 12/SEC jobs? Absolutely.

14. JimmyBuff

putting the savings account on it? :rofl:

15. JimmyBuff

He hasn't gone for one yet.. I think he's a TCU lifer. He likes that his name is out there (like Barnett) being mentioned as being a candidate at so and so on school but in reality wants to continue to build up TCU.

16. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

It is not guaranteed that he will ever leave TCU, but I do think he is interested in some Big 12 and SEC jobs. He would listen to certain schools, but I really do think A&M is one of those schools.

17. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

I think if K State opens a second time he'll take it. If Snyder can build them back to mediocrity and then slide over to the AD chair he'll probably hook Patterson up with some sweet perks in the contract. Still, if Patterson does a 10 win season or better this year at TCU he needs to bolt and maximize his earnings or position at a prestige program.

18. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

What makes you say that? If Hawk is out after this year Patterson is one of my favorites to replace him, I love how TCU plays. Don't know if we could pull him, though.

19. Buff fanatic

Buff fanatic Well-Known Member

I would, but Vegas probably has a minimum bet.

20. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

yeah jimmy you shut them right up didnt you haha

21. Varsity

Varsity Member

he had a chance at that program and he passed. I doubt he'd want a second pass. he could do better anyway.

22. Buttermaker

Buttermaker Active Member

Well we can scratch him of CU's list.

23. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Jimmy? Crickets... You out there?:lol:

24. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

:lol:

25. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Did Sumlin also rebuild from scratch. I dont think Hawkins could make that claim.

Hmm. You think number 17 Houston is gonna move up in the polls? They are 2-0 against Big 12 teams now. Next up after UTEP is an SEC team and a Big East Team. Win those and your probably going to go to a BCS bowl since you will have beaten 4 BCS teams.

26. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

He replaced Briles, who left for Baylor. Briles did a good job there, but Sumlin thus far has taken them to another level. If he can keep this up, I would have to think he would parley this job into something bigger at the end of the season.

If CU could get him, my thought is that after experiencing some success he would move on again at a bigger opportunity. That is my biggest concern with this potential hire, otherwise he looks like a catch.

27. 13Buff

13Buff Club Member Club Member

If it gets us closer to where we want to be, I would be willing to take that chance. If after a a few seasons our next coach was so successful that he was hired away by one of the "BIG" schools that means our team is winning, We are getting high quality recruits and good Head and Assistant coachs would want to come here. Small price to pay I think.

28. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

I can see it all now - Boise St vs Houston for the MNC.

29. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Didn't he turn down Kansas State despite his ties there?

I'd be much more in favor of Patterson than Sumlin due to sustained success, being one of the most creative defensive minds around, having a run-oriented offense, and a more established recruiting network.

And, frankly, I thought the TCU win at Clemson was the most impressive non-BCS win of last weekend by far. Houston's win over Tech was nice, but Houston used to beat up on the Red Raiders regularly when they were both in the SWC (18-10-1 all time).

30. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

So he's caught in the Catch 22 of "winning with someone elses players". Briles was pretty solid. I guess Id like to see someone who proves it as a consistent recruiter like Urban Meyer did at Utah before moving to SEC country.