What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Alright, so how do we match up against Washington?

Well shoot, I guess we might as well just not even bother showing up for the game. They're more talented, better coached, beat us up last year and are even better this year. Let's just skip straight from UNC to UCLA.

Well shoot, I guess we might as well just not even bother showing up for the game. They're more talented, better coached, beat us up last year and are even better this year. Let's just skip straight from UNC to UCLA.

Play better football and maybe the outlook would change.

Let me over-babble on our situation in several categories:
First, to preface a bit with last season. Last year, we played with our hearts. We also had talent across the board, but depth was lacking. So our coaches overplayed their hand. By the Pac-12 championship game, we were burned out, both physically and emotionally. Washington had their way with us. The bowl game the same.

Coaching
Coach Mac is a motivator. His x’s and o’s are good (maybe even great) on defense, but weak on offense. Unfortunately, Coach BL is also weak here, and not a good game caller either. I don’t want to let Coach Chev slide either as he is 50% of the equation. But back to motivation by Coach Mac– his motivational speeches are not my favorite style, but it works. Finding and develop leaders as well as building team comradery has been his strong suit. On the flip side, we all have a love-hate relationship with Chris Peterson given his lack of history with the Buffs, but he is clearly a solid coach who knows his stuff. We will probably get out-coached, but you can’t discount the motivational factor we have going for us.

Defense
Talented but raw. We are making rookie mistakes. Hope that the first three games will be good lessons for the team, but Washington is a whole another animal. We will make some crazy good defensive plays, but also get burned as they pick on our freshman.

Offense
BL is not cutting it. With the talent we have, we sure know how to under-utilize them. I am sure he is keeping half the playbook up his sleeve, with the assumption that out-smarting his opponent will help us to win. I am not a fan of this. I think whoever executes better will win – this is more true in college than professional. We should be playing most of the playbook and trying to perfect it. Depending on the opponent, throw in some wrinkles. Not the crap we are trying to pull. That said, Montez is the make or break here. If he can play it loose, we have a fighters chance to keep up.

Special teams
Crazy how we were supposed to have Offense leading the way, a decent Defense, and a suspect Special Teams. For the first time in years, I feel comfortable to not worry about Special Teams.

Folsom field
Clearly at home in a night game is an advantage.

My prediction
I haven’t watched any Washington games this year, so I can’t say how they will perform. I will say that I like this being an earlier game on our schedule, ala Michigan. Our team is still fresh physically, and will be motivated. Given that, we will give a good game to any top 10 team in the country @ Folsom. To pull the bunny out of the hat, we will need Montez at his most fearless.

Finally, stop analyzing the Washington game! We need to focus on UNC!!

Thank you. I get that people might not think he is great, but the hate toward him is stupid.
He's called offenses that have set most single season and many career records here despite being at a talent disadvantage in the vast majority of games. Even more, until last year, the pressure was on the offense to win since the defense couldn't stop a mild breeze. Yea, he's not perfect, but the conventional wisdom that he's terrible at his job makes no sense to me.

every time I see someone say Lindgren is terrible in all ways as an OC, I know I can stop reading what they are saying.

To be clear, I didn't say he was terrible in all ways - just commenting on his impact this particular game. I don't know the person obviously, but my observations is he is a good at developing talent. However, game day calling is probably not his strongest suit.

Why? Anything short of a Florida-style 27 player suspension and CU wins in a cake walk.
This.

The team can't really look ahead; they do need to focus on taking care of the bears this weekend.

We, the fans, can abso-****ing-lutely completely and totally overlook the UNC game.

I don't think it's that big of a stretch to think the staff has been spending more of the offseason prepping for UW than our OOC opponents. Yes, they need to have the players focused on and respect each game and give each opponent their due scouting and prep time, but teams often make changes with specific opponents in mind.

I don't believe they are just going to flip a switch for UW and all of the sudden be a completely new offense we've never seen. However, I do believe there are probably some new wrinkles to the offense that they purposely haven't put on film yet. I also think the conservative, vanilla playcalling and general game strategy has been, more or less, done on purpose as well.
Drives me crazy...Takes away from your post. It is NEVER "all of the sudden" it is always "all of a sudden."

Sorry to be a grammarphobe.

Get a copy of Strunk and White.

Back