What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Another Player Has Left The Team...

I think its a win-win situation.

Scott will be successful at another school and the Hawkins regime will be over sooner with this debacle.

He's going to have a tough time even seeing the field at UCLA according to my boys from there.

I think your boys are right. DS really just was never what he was in highschool, for a variety of reasons that include but are nowhere near limited to coaching. Im in no way sticking up for this **** coaching staff, but, DS has alot (see:most) of the responsibility here. Kid bought into his own hype, IMHO. I dont mean to rip him. I hope im wrong and he does great somewhere else, I just think we're a little hung up on his highschool recruiting stars.

4.7 YPC for Stewart vs 3.9 for DS. Make all the comments you want, the fact of the matter is that I don't believe either was head and shoulders above the other and both have pretty mediocre yards per carry stats because our OL is horrible.

I think Stewart is a great back but I don't think he is so good that we couldn't have used Darrell too. You guys talk about him like he is the second coming but we are still talking about a guy who hasn't been that productive and isn't big enough to shoulder the load for a team that should be run oriented.

They could have easily coexisted and both been great contributors. But you're right... Darrell could have never been used better and there was no way he was ever going to be good at CU... LOL.

Whatever, I am really looking forward to this team and its Boise State recruiting classes without its Boise State overachieving. You guys think Rodney Stewart is going to single handedly make this team respectable? Get real.

This is the start of the wheels officially falling off, as far as I am concerned, with regards to the future. I disregarded our record after the first 2 games because I knew it would be horrible, but to have this kind of crap happen along with our pathetic on field performances means we are all going to be in for a ROUGH offseason.

This is the start of the wheels officially falling off, as far as I am concerned, with regards to the future. I disregarded our record after the first 2 games because I knew it would be horrible, but to have this kind of crap happen along with our pathetic on field performances means we are all going to be in for a ROUGH offseason.
start of the wheels was really Jfly leaving. That was just crazy to me.

Nothing to see here. Most probably aren't shocked by this. DS never got it going here and looked timid, was it injuries?

Our coaches get talented recruits and never find ways to use those talents and get the best of them.

Good luck to scott, he hasn't played much so how much does this hurt on the field? Recruiting wise and perception wise it's a killer.

4.7 YPC for Stewart vs 3.9 for DS. Make all the comments you want, the fact of the matter is that I don't believe either was head and shoulders above the other and both have pretty mediocre yards per carry stats because our OL is horrible.

I think Stewart is a great back but I don't think he is so good that we couldn't have used Darrell too. You guys talk about him like he is the second coming but we are still talking about a guy who hasn't been that productive and isn't big enough to shoulder the load for a team that should be run oriented.

They could have easily coexisted and both been great contributors. But you're right... Darrell could have never been used better and there was no way he was ever going to be good at CU... LOL.

Whatever, I am really looking forward to this team and its Boise State recruiting classes without its Boise State overachieving. You guys think Rodney Stewart is going to single handedly make this team respectable? Get real.

Not meant to be insulting, but I honestly think if you or anyone has been watching these guys for 2yrs and still think Scott is as good as Stewart, you are star-biased. It is obvious who is the better back.

The only reason Scott's YPC is even 3.9 or whatever is because most of his carries came against the 114th (or thereabouts) ranked rushing D in the nation in Toledo. If you take out that game, it would look anemic.

I don't claim Stewart can single-handedly make this team respectable, we are pretty ****ty. All I will say is that if one of the two was to leave, I wouldn't want it to be Speedy.

This is really starting to look like we will be back to Barnett erra talent level by the time hawk leaves.

start of the wheels was really Jfly leaving. That was just crazy to me.

I think you could go back to Maiava and see it begin. Moving a frosh AA to fullback while claiming we had better players to replace him on the OL. Where the **** are they? I haven't seen them yet.

Not meant to be insulting, but I honestly think if you or anyone has been watching these guys for 2yrs and still think Scott is as good as Stewart, you are star-biased. It is obvious who is the better back.

The only reason Scott's YPC is even 3.9 or whatever is because most of his carries came against the 114th (or thereabouts) ranked rushing D in the nation in Toledo. If you take out that game, it would look anemic.

I don't claim Stewart can single-handedly take CU make this team respectable, we are pretty ****ty. All I will say is that if one of the two was to leave, I wouldn't want it to be Speedy.

Point taken. I think a variety of circumstances have contributed to DS underperforming. I think his lack of touches and opportunity is a major portion. Injuries obviously have contributed. It appeared that he was being coached into overthinking and out of instincts.

Most CFB teams run 2 backs or more.

I still had very high hopes for DS here.

The fact of the matter is our RB position has not panned out like it was supposed to. Polk is playing safety, DS is gone, and Rodney is about all we have. This was supposed to be a huge strength of the team. DS is a back who was built to carry a full load of carries. RS really isn't. He is not going to hold up to 20+ carries a game every game.

i just want to note that innerwebs message boards probably played a role in all this. with so many people on every single Buff site posting that scott should leave, is it really that impossible to believe that it got back to him? and if the hardcore fans are in his ear to leave, what would a reasonable person's conclusion be in that situation?

while i agree that he wasn't utilized correctly and i further agree that the staff is bordering on inept, i think we need to acknowledge that the innerwebs bears some culpability in this matter. there is a reason that coaches hate fan sites.

all that said, there is nothing to be done about it, really. these forums are open discussions. i do hope that the decision is soon made to replace this staff. otherwise, the bitching that will inevitably escalate here and everywhere else will impact recruiting in a negative way.

i am filled with disgust at the state of the program, along with a nice little side dish of self-loathing for our collective behavior in this unseemly affair.

Yes, that is exactly my point.

I just think it is unfair to attack Rodney's accomplishments. The guy has rushed for 1,000 yards as a Buff, including 100 yards against Florida State and 100 yards against West Virginia. He has proven he can carry the load. We had yet to see Darrell put it all together (whether it be because of injury, being out of shape, coaching etc.) and that is disappointing given the hype he had coming into school.

Good luck to Darrell, but lets not attack a current Buff to make a point about the head coach.

I think he left because he wasn't getting touches, as simple as that.

This dude did not come here to sit on the bench. Has he had one game where he got even 15 carries...?

I guarantee you that, whether founded or not, DS has NFL aspirations. It wasn't going to happen here. That is a hell of a lot more important than what some people have to do say on the internet.

I think you could go back to Maiava and see it begin. Moving a frosh AA to fullback while claiming we had better players to replace him on the OL. Where the **** are they? I haven't seen them yet.

Yeah, that was the first big :wtf: moment to me. Not just "wtf? this guy is strange!" but "wtf? is this guy a total blithering ****ing incompetent moron with his head up his ****ing ass?" I kept hoping there was some brilliant plan there then. It was obvious pretty quick there wasn't.

I think we all kind of dismissed the Smith thing because Josh had been a bit flaky at times here, or at least it seemed like it. And we were all drowning in kool-aid about then. Ballenger? Sour grapes.

It's starting to look like that coal mine full of dead canaries just might be dangerous after all... :huh:

Point taken. I think a variety of circumstances have contributed to DS underperforming. I think his lack of touches and opportunity is a major portion. Injuries obviously have contributed. It appeared that he was being coached into overthinking and out of instincts.

Over thinking and not following instincts are this whole staff's problem. Maiava to FB? personnel grouping and over thought zone defenses against Toledo and CSU? 9 offenses in 4 years? these guys cant get out of thier own way.

I have not done any work since this news broke. I'm actually feeling really sad right now. I shouldn't let football effect me so much but this team has become such a sad situation.

I've always loved the buffs more than any other sports team. This has hit me very hard.

The fact of the matter is our RB position has not panned out like it was supposed to. Polk is playing safety, DS is gone, and Rodney is about all we have. This was supposed to be a huge strength of the team. DS is a back who was built to carry a full load of carries. RS really isn't. He is not going to hold up to 20+ carries a game every game.

I agree that the RB position has not really panned out as hoped, but honestly the same could be said for just about every position on offense. In truth, RB remains one of the deepest positions, everyone (but DS of course), is back next year and the outside shot that Mister Jones will maintain his commit is still there. I think we'll be fine at RB. The position I'm stressed out about is HC.

I agree that the RB position has not really panned out as hoped, but honestly the same could be said for just about every position on offense. In truth, RB remains one of the deepest positions, everyone (but DS of course), is back next year and the outside shot that Mister Jones will maintain his commit is still there. I think we'll be fine at RB. The position I'm stressed out about is HC.
don't forget walk on quick hildreth... I mean, its not like we need another small RB but his highlight vids impressed me. However, the only size at RB will be Sumler and (maybe) Mister Jones. Would have loved to RS that guy, but now I don't see how we do.

I think he left because he wasn't getting touches, as simple as that.

This dude did not come here to sit on the bench. Has he had one game where he got even 15 carries...?

I guarantee you that, whether founded or not, DS has NFL aspirations. It wasn't going to happen here. That is a hell of a lot more important than what some people have to do say on the internet.

19 against Iowa State
16 against Eastern Washington
13 against Toledo ('09)
11 against WVU
11 against Missouri
10 against A&M

Those are catches/carries combined. The only game in which he had more then 15 carries was Iowa St.

don't forget walk on quick hildreth... I mean, its not like we need another small RB but his highlight vids impressed me. However, the only size at RB will be Sumler and (maybe) Mister Jones. Would have loved to RS that guy, but now I don't see how we do.

I think the three guys returning can allow MJ to RS. A bigger question is whether he still wants to come here.

Back