What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Are we really as bad as we think?

For fun, let's look at some hypothetical wins since the Big 12 Championship season.

2001: I'm always more afraid of the first game of the season regardless of matchup than playing whoever our highest ranked opponent is that year. New team, untested in actual competition and lots can go wrong when they're playing for the first time. Proven to us with costly turnovers and general drive futility. What if we had gone with Pesavento since camp? Team lost 3 fumbles and Ochs threw 2 picks in the 4th in the comeback effort. Plus Pat Brougham should make some kicks and we're in a much better position to take this one at home. Could have finished 11-1 regular season with a much more likely BCS championship appearance.

2002: Another first game slip up. A CSU loss with the team we had is inexcusable, though they did also begin the season ranked and had BVP, while we were in another trial-and-error QB situation (pointing to possibly my biggest Barnett gripe, his inability to recruit a prep QB of the future who we could develop 4-5 years and could start for us 2-3 of those. Got lucky with the Klatt experiment). Ochs struggles again plus Shortbus playcalling. Chris Brown, for all of his production, really couldn't hold on to the ball in these openers could he? Waiting until the 4th to score on their defense. Come on now. This wasn't Dan Hawkins' 2009 team. Regular season could have been 10-2 though the Big 12 outcome likely wouldn't have been any different.

2003: Honestly this is tough because we were so close to being bowl eligible but most of our losses were humiliating. A post-Price, post-Gesser Wazzu at home? Baylor was too much of an embarrassment for a road game we really should have won. I'll say Tech on the road could have been a win, plus Nebraska at home almost bridged what could have been a 4-year streak for us over them. Their offense was simply more effective than ours, and then Klatt got picked twice late to seal it. Hypothetically let's take half of our 2 "maybe" losses and you've got a team that finishes 6-6 with a bowl opportunity. What could have been if Klatt wasn't concussed so often...

2004: Close loss to Mizzou. OT loss to A&M. Take one of those going differently and the squad finishes the regular season with an 8-win team. No shame in losing bad to Oklahoma, even twice in the season, from 2000-2004. There's a reason they humiliated good Texas teams every year in that span. Worldbeaters.

2005: Collapse down the stretch for an embattled team whose coach had been weathered by accusations of lack of control in the scandal years and whose only coaching cred in the conference after 2001 came from backing into several North division titles because as a whole everyone else was down. Huge level of returning talent that year and we actually dominated teams we were supposed to beat instead of playing them close. The road woes all too familiar now began with a choke at Iowa State then completely lost it at home versus Nebraska two weeks after. The one season I can't see going any differently in terms of W-L. Just the most baffling thing to see the regular season close with those two bad losses after the convincing wins of the 7-2 start.

2006: Montana State, CSU, Georgia, Baylor (3OT), Kansas. Though we had major attrition to the team before and during the season, with a capable coach to breathe new life into the program we could have won at least 3 of those. And we'd all take 5-7 as a huge success for that first year, wouldn't we?

2007: Another close loss to Kansas and a team that disintegrated against Arizona State in a lackluster game that saw CU with every opportunity to take it if only they could move the ball in the red zone. Nice of ASU to respond to CU's 14-0 start with 5 unanswered scores. Getting just one of those games would have pushed us to a 7-5 regular season with a better bowl invite and a loss in that would have still reflected a final winning record.

2008: Very promising start with excitement that faded quickly once Big 12 play got underway in October. A&M the day after Halloween was a tough pill to swallow as we crumbled and lost Speedy for the year. Alex Henery's two 4th quarter kicks and our complete non-response needs no further explanation. Another "close, but sorry you fail" season where we got halfway to bowl eligibility early but couldn't show up in our own conference.

2009: We were not prepared for CSU. 100% on our coaches for not teaching anything close to moving the ball on the ground. I put that squarely on Hawk's leadership and new OL coach Denver Johnson. I'm still debating whether we had a chance at Toledo. I was teased with early excitement and in attendance for the road game at Texas when the Longhorns killed our momentum before the half and beat us entirely with their defense and special teams. Then there was that little matter of the Thursday game at Oklahoma State where we were given an opportunity to take the win and just kept failing. Another year that could have been 5-7 or better even when coaching was at its worst.

2010: Baylor, Tech and Kansas of course. Though there's no indication the team would have won the last two with Hawk at the helm, rather Cabral gave them the fire they had lacked for so long.

Of course this is all for fun and what-if purposes because there are plenty of games that just as easily couldn't have gone our way. 2007 OU, 2008 West Virginia, 2001 CCG thanks to Robert Hodge and Major Applewhite. Hell, with all things considered we could have had a winless 2006.

The pattern here since the scandal and the twilight of the Barnett years are mediocre teams that at worst should have finished with 5 wins. Take half of every season's hypothetical losses that should have gone in CU's favor had they "cleaned up a few things" (penalties, fumbles lost, special teams) and you've got a team that's bowl eligible for 7 or 8 of the last 10 seasons instead of 5. We've fallen somewhere above the Washington schools when we could have been somewhere above Illinois and Kentucky, which is still well below our program's standard but it's a level of mediocrity rather than atrocity that keeps us from being a national joke and still gets us winning recruiting battles annually with other FBS-level competitors. We need a complete overhaul in program perception because the coaches consistently failed to get our athletes ready to play, and because of it we lost many games to inferior opponents in blowout fashion and just as often in late, epic fail fashion. The chicken-and-egg cycle continues then because as our record and national TV embarrassments pile up we get fewer high-major recruits to sign, and then we have not only bad coaching but far inferior talent.

So to answer your thread, Leash, no. Perception versus reality. But the last half decade put the wheels in motion for our reality to view our perception as a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's morning in the People's Republic. Time for a culture change.

Last edited:
We are not as bad but I do think it could be a rough year. Damn tough schedy, depth issues and no bye week leave very little wiggle room. Throw in the new staff and the adjustments that go with it and that is a lot to overcome. Not as bad as others say, but a lot to overcome.

We're a. 500 team at best. With this year's schedule, though, it's tough to see any better than that - even with all the breaks falling our way. The team has a significant lack of playmakers.

We're a. 500 team at best. With this year's schedule, though, it's tough to see any better than that - even with all the breaks falling our way. The team has a significant lack of playmakers.

I disagree with the significant lack of playmakers. What we don't have is depth, but I do think we have some playmakers at some key positions.

Paul Richardson set a freshman reception and yards record

Rodney Stewart could become CU's all time leading rusher this season

We have a pair of decent TE's

The D-line has some studs

Jon Major could be a first team All pac-12 LB

Tyler Hansen has mobility and experience. He needs to become more consistent though.

I disagree with the significant lack of playmakers. What we don't have is depth, but I do think we have some playmakers at some key positions.

Tyler Hansen has mobility and experience. He needs to become more consistent though.
It doesn't sound like you think we're bad.

I see our record being 5-8. If Hansen really improves maybe we can sneak out 5 wins in the Pac to make it 7-6 but I'd be surprised. Embree is unknown as a coach in gameday situations especially when a game is tight so its tough to say his coaching will help us overcome our lack of overall talent.

Pac 12 is a much better conference than the Big 12. There's only one gimme in Washington STate and who says they can't improve and have a turnaround this year?

that's not a whole lot of positives in my opinion.

I'm concerned if we have the personnel to actually run the offense that embree/eb want to run. This isn't a real physical team on offense due to Hawk's pussy act. Much like when Barnett came in we struggled on offense that 1st year at times due to differences in offensive philosophy. I'd say Hawk's offense was even more finesse than Slick's.

that's not a whole lot of positives in my opinion.

I'm concerned if we have the personnel to actually run the offense that embree/eb want to run. This isn't a real physical team on offense due to Hawk's pussy act. Much like when Barnett came in we struggled on offense that 1st year at times due to differences in offensive philosophy. I'd say Hawk's offense was even more finesse than Slick's.

We'll see. This team did play some good ball after Hawk was let go, so maybe a new spark is what they needed.

I'm not saying we will be world beaters. We are far from where we want to be, but I don't think we're as bad as the critics say. AGain, we could and should have had 8 wins last year.

As for the Pac being tougher, ya in some areas, but I don't think it's as tough as some are making it out to be. It's always been an up and down conference with every program winning the conference in the last 20 years and every program having a losing record in the last 20 years.

Big 12 teams we played last year

12 wins:1
10:2
8: 1
7:2
5:1
3:1

Pac 12 teams we play this year
12:2
10:1
8:1
7:2
6:1
4:1
2:1

I see our record being 5-8. If Hansen really improves maybe we can sneak out 5 wins in the Pac to make it 7-6 but I'd be surprised. Embree is unknown as a coach in gameday situations especially when a game is tight so its tough to say his coaching will help us overcome our lack of overall talent.

Pac 12 is a much better conference than the Big 12. There's only one gimme in Washington STate and who says they can't improve and have a turnaround this year?

Me. Last I checked they return Wulff. When you go 5-32 with two of those W's against the worst FCS teams, you don't just pull a 6 win season out of your ass

I think the answer is yes and no. At the end of our season our W/L record will show were are as bad as we think we are (5-8 or 4-9) so the answer will be "yes".
But if you were a fan and watched the games I think you will say no we are a much better team, but things fell apart when players got hurt during the brutal schedule and we had to play really green kids against top PAC12 teams.

Next year they will be saying the same thing about our Buffs and I believe we will be a strong no on both counts and really surprise people.

I think the answer is yes and no. At the end of our season our W/L record will show were are as bad as we think we are (5-8 or 4-9) so the answer will be "yes".
But if you were a fan and watched the games I think you will say no we are a much better team, but things fell apart when players got hurt during the brutal schedule and we had to play really green kids against top PAC12 teams.

Next year they will be saying the same thing about our Buffs and I believe we will be a strong no on both counts and really surprise people.

I agree with this...I do not think the Buffs are horrible but they have a lot of holes, they lack depth, have a very tough schedule, and there are a lot of unknowns surrounding the program (how will they react to the new coaching staff, do they have enough confidence, etc.). All those things add up to more on the downside than the upside.

Two things that will keep an first-year staff and outmatched athletes from double-digit losses this season. For the coaches: Work in schemes and call plays that play to the strengths of the players you do have on the roster. For the players: PROTECT THE BALL.

Keep in mind this is last 10 year total

Oklahoma 109-26
Texas 106-23
Texas Tech 86-42
Nebraska 84-46
Missouri 77-49
Oklahoma st. 75-50
Kansas st. 67-57
Texas A&M 65-58
Kansas 56-65
Iowa st. 51-72
Baylor 39-79

Pac-12
USC 105-24
Utah 92-32
Oregon 89-37
Oregon St. 74-51
Cal 73-52
Arizona st. 65-58
UCLA 65-59
Washington St. 55-66
Stanford 54-64
Washington 45-76

Now last year

Oregon 12-1 Oklahoma 12-2
Stanford 12-1 Oklahoma St. 11-2
Utah 10-3 Nebraska 10-4
USC 8-5 Missouri 10-3
Washington 7-6 Texas Tech 8-5
Arizona 7-6 Baylor 7-6
Arizona St. 6-6 Kansas st 7-6
Cal 5-7 Iowa st 5-7 Texas 5-7
Colorado 5-7 UCLA 4-8
Washington St. 2-10 Kansas 3-9

Last edited:
My drunk math gave me a Pac-10 record of 36-37 in head to head against the Big 12 since its 1996 inception. I think the conferences are similar with a couple perennially dominant programs but the difference is the middle of the pack teams in the PAC seem to upset the favorites more often than we've seen in the Big 12. So (almost) everyone's dangerous.

I don't think CU is as bad as most think. These 3-4 win predictions seem strange to me. I think the offense will be better than many are thinking. My two concerns are CB and can hansen make the big throws at crucial times of the game.

I don't believe this team is as bad as some might think, but changing coaches, philosophies, and schemes + 13 straights weeks will take its toll. I think the Buffs will go 5-8 with most of the losses close -- the change in toughness and attitude will show.

2012 will be brighter if someone steps up to replace Hansen.

Last 3 years

CU 13-23
UCLA 15-22
UW 12-25
ASU 15-21

The schedule is tough this year, but much of the assumed toughness is based on a belief that USC, AZ, UCLA and ASU are all going to be solid to excellent this year. You could certainly make the case that on talent alone USC should be very good but the other three ... not so much.

None of those teams has any time recently shown any ability to step up to the next level and play at a championship level. If they are their usual dissapointing selfs and CU plays above its talent level, we might surprise.

I am already drinking the Kool-aid. New year, seemingly competent coaches and some talent at the skill positions. If a few things can go our way, most notably if we can stay away from injuries to key players, I think we can be a good team. It boils down to offensive line for me. If they can get in there and start bullying people we have a good chance.

The schedule is tough this year, but much of the assumed toughness is based on a belief that USC, AZ, UCLA and ASU are all going to be solid to excellent this year. You could certainly make the case that on talent alone USC should be very good but the other three ... not so much.

None of those teams has any time recently shown any ability to step up to the next level and play at a championship level. If they are their usual dissapointing selfs and CU plays above its talent level, we might surprise.

Stanford and Oregon are gonna be pretty good, too.

the October-November stretch is gonna be pretty rough:

@Stanford
@UW
Oregon
@ASU
USC

then, UA in Boulder and 2 roadies to UCLA and Utah to close it out.

i put the o/u on wins about 5.5 (and that's when i'm feeling pretty good).

Someone brought up a good point that we literally won't know until (at the earliest) halfway through the Hawaii game how good Embree is at game management and ability to make adjustments. The Buffs have lost so many games to these aspects the last five years, it is hard to compute. We can't assume anything about Embree yet in these regards, but I think we can assume that the team will be tougher and more fundamentally sound.

I've said it a few times and am still a firm believer that before we walked on the field with the hawk regime we were already theoretically a touchdown or more behind.....Yes, a lot of culpability still falls on the players, but if you can't trust your coaches or trust what you're doing on the field then it makes the turnovers, penalties, road preparation/mentality and all the other hogwash we saw a guaranteed negative occurrence for every game.

I think talent wise we're as good as anything we've had over the past 4-5 years and success will fall on a lot of the intangibles that hopefully the new coaching regime can bring.

The trouble is I cannot say this coaching regime will be better or not in game situations....I think preparation/mentality wise they are already 10x that of HaLk, but there really is no proof to make a proclamation that they will be better or worse game callers or mangers than the previous regime......Thus, difficult to say we'll be any better or worse

But having been through the past 5 years.....I'll take a Giant ???? of potential over trying to convince myself with false hope.....Hawaii will be quite telling I think for where we can set expectations

Some good replies from both views guys. Much respect for just about every single reply in this thread, and some legit concerns.

Spot on about how well this staff is on gameday and in game management and adjustments. We don't know and that will be key.

I'm still saying 6 wins.

I think our wins will be Hawai'i, CSU, Cal, Washington st, USC, Arizona.

Just ready for the season

Back