What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

As of Early Signing Period - 2018 Class Grade

What grade would you give the 2018 recruiting class?

• A

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • A-

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • B+

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • B

Votes: 59 36.9%
  • B-

Votes: 33 20.6%
  • C+

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • C

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • C-

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • F

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
I give it a B. Solid class, but I think it could have been better after coming off a 10-win season and a (brief) top ten ranking.

We will see with who actually signs. Cannot say yet

This,

class is going to hinge on a couple of players that we are still waiting on but the Antwine news is a great start and if Boyd signs then I will be much more positive.

I have it a B+ although this thread is a few days early. Here’s the reasoning: quality. Going back to 2015 you see multiple kids in the 70’s on their rankings with only like 2-3 above 85. We (off top of my head) have NINE in this class above 85 with nobody ranked below I believe an 81.

It isn’t flashy and we won’t turn into Alabama with this class. But, this is the quality and quantity of quality we need to build on. The real test is that if the majority of the 16/17 and 18 classes are legitimate starters on our team by spring 2019. On top of having another strong recruiting class by next December, top 35 should be the minimum. This is MM job right here, if he can’t make a bowl in 18, haul a top 35 class and have at least 2/3 of the roster from these years as projected starters, he’s failing. He built it to this point, now he’s gotta finish the job.

Sorry, not meant to be a MM rant. I love this class though from what I’ve seen, very solid.

tenor.gif

So, this looks liked our best class in a long time if you go by average star rating. We compare pretty well with the number 21 ranked class, West Virginia. Even though we are ranked 40th on Rivals, we both have an average 3.0 rating but they have 3 more signees than us and they have four 4 Rivals 4 stars, while we have none. But pretty close, if you ask me.

Pretty good so far, but why do we have such a hard time landing 4* recruits? I know it's not the end all be all, but 5 in 5 years seems pretty low, even for a team "rebuilding".

Before Antwine and some questions on Taylor and Filip, I was saying C, which to me is just ok. It meets the minimum level of acceptance. However, I think the staff did a good job of closing out. I am interested to see the attrition though...

Right now stands at #35 on Rivals, #41 on 247, and 6th in the Pac-12 in both, the very definition of average for the Pac.

Washington, Oregon, UCLA, Stanford and USC are always going to out recruit us. Washington/Stanford gets a bump with their recent success on the football field so who knows how permanent that is. But we will never out recruit the other 3 on a consistent basis, we just need to keep slowly closing the gap, which we have.

Washington, Oregon, UCLA, Stanford and USC are always going to out recruit us. Washington/Stanford gets a bump with their recent success on the football field so who knows how permanent that is. But we will never out recruit the other 3 on a consistent basis, we just need to keep slowly closing the gap, which we have.
I refuse to concede long term recruiting supremacy to anyone but USC on that list.

C at best!
Zero players in the top 300 nationwide
Zero 5 star players
Zero 4 star players
The top player in the state signed with Oregon (Jackson)
USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Washington State and Cal ahead of them in Pac12 recruiting (8th out of 12 teams)
Decent recruiting of under the radar players, but no impact players (4 & 5 star studs). Should be recruiting far better given the amazing facilities MM has been provided.

Going back to 2014, yikes. We had like 12 guys ranked lower than our lowest ranked recruit in this class, who is an 81. We’ve raised the floor on recruiting every single year and this is a very solid class. We need basically this exact class next year but we need to land at least 3, 4-Star athletes rated 89 or above. Gotta keep pushing the ceiling and start closing on the high end.

This may be true in the near term (next handful-several years), but outside of USC, I completely disagree about the other schools "always" going to out recruit us. Things are always fluid, except for USC being a top 5 program of all time. Coaches come and go, coaching hires completely miss, etc.

Right now stands at #35 on Rivals, #41 on 247, and 6th in the Pac-12 in both, the very definition of average for the Pac.
Funny on Rivals. We went from 35 yesterday to 40 about an hour ago to 36 now.

I refuse to concede long term recruiting supremacy to USC on that list.

Well you can refuse to concede all you want, USC is USC and they will always be USC. They play in a big city, in an iconic stadium and they’re one of the most well known colleges in terms of football. I can’t foresee a day where USC just suddenly can’t pull high end recruits anymore.

Well you can refuse to concede all you want, USC is USC and they will always be USC. They play in a big city, in an iconic stadium and they’re one of the most well known colleges in terms of football. I can’t foresee a day where USC just suddenly can’t pull high end recruits anymore.

Sorry meant anyone but USC. We should have periods when we out recruiting UCLA, Washington, and Oregon.

I refuse to concede long term recruiting supremacy to anyone but USC on that list.
USC is the one program in the Pac-12 where I'll concede. They will always have a Top 15 recruiting class and often be Top 5. CU can get to a point where it is recruiting at #2 in the conference, though. We've been there in the recent past during the Barnett days before the scandal hit and it's not like CU was winning at the McCartney rate at that point - plus our facilities were antiquated by then.

C at best!
Zero players in the top 300 nationwide
Zero 5 star players
Zero 4 star players
The top player in the state signed with Oregon (Jackson)
USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Washington State and Cal ahead of them in Pac12 recruiting (8th out of 12 teams)
Decent recruiting of under the radar players, but no impact players (4 & 5 star studs). Should be recruiting far better given the amazing facilities MM has been provided.

I get you may not like the class... but zero impact players? Come on.

Back