1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ballenger was disappointing

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by FightCu1414, Oct 11, 2008.

1. FightCu1414

FightCu1414 Club Member Club Member

Ballenger looked like he was lobbing the ball on all of his long throws. I guess he looked suprisisingly good against Texas but looked bad to me. NOt saying Hawkins looked much better, but he knows the system and doesnt fumble every single snap or fumble every time he gets sacked(which is every possesion it seems)

2. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

Blasphemy! Cody isn't the answer...Matt is the TRUTH!

3. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Agreed. I'm not going to argue that CU doesn't have a serious problem at the QB position. I think that's true. I just don't think that Ballenger looks like the answer.

4. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

I thought Matt was the savior if this team.

5. str8jacket

str8jacket Member

Because Cody really looked that much better than Matt.

It's equal right now, each bring a certain skill set to the table.

6. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

:lol: Matt gets 2 series,cody gets 6 games. Nice logic. How many points did cody cost cu today?

It doesn't matter who's qb,our OL is a mash unit,our defense can't tackle or get pressure.

I seriously thought we'd win 7 games this year,now I wonder if we will win another game. Don't laugh,our offense is good for 14 points a game.

7. Sexton Hardcastle

What do you base that on? I really don't think you can really compare the two fairly yet. All of Matt's playing time has come in garbage time.

8. 2HellNback

2HellNback Well-Known Member

C-Hawk: 8/22 (36%) 90 yards
    MB: 5/8 (62%) 57 yards

It's open for discussion

(And I just have to add, running backwards 12 yards into the endzone for a safety, while trying to look to throw left-handed was "hair-pulling" awful).

At this point, making a QB change may help a little but THIS team needs more help than just QB.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  9. str8jacket

str8jacket Member

I'm basing it off of the fact I really can't imagine Ballenger would lead us to more 3 and outs as we went through today with Cody at the helm

Edit: Good point above. 8-22 is laughable. Granted the first pick was NOT his fault. The second was bad. straight up

10. Sexton Hardcastle

It's called sarcasm Syko. :rolleyes:

sliderNcider likes this.
  11. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Ballenger also threw a duck that should have been intercepted and fumbled.

12. Sexton Hardcastle

It doesn't really matter who we line up at QB, if we don't block for him it's going to be a long day.

13. sparkybuffs

sparkybuffs New Member

Cody Hawkins is the best quarterback right now on this team. Ballenger might come along in years to come, but if we want to win six or seven games, then Hawkins has to be the quarterback

14. str8jacket

str8jacket Member

I know blocking is bad. but if Cody is capable of throwing it 22 times, he SURELY needs to be able to at least reach the 50% mark. And if blocking is really that BAD. RUN THE BALL.

Guess that makes sense. Our O-Line is so bad we don't want to get our prized recruit hurt. :lol:

15. 14ers4me

14ers4me Member

Cody is not the answer. Period. Give Ballenger some time to get things figured out. We'll be no worse off in the long run if Ballenger sucks. He has skills that Cody doesn't and hopefully he can figure it out. There is no way that Cody is going to get better in ways that CU needs him to. He isn't going to get a stronger arm, he isn't going to run faster and he isn't going to start throwing the ball down the field. Get MH time practicing w/ the first team and let's see what he can do the rest of the year. Granted, the O-line difficulties make it hard for either of them, but no way Cody overcomes his shortcomings. It's just not going to happen.

16. Sexton Hardcastle

You mean like he did vs. OU last year? I remember a OL that actually gave him time to make plays last season.

17. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

Cody should start the next game but if he isnt hitting on it then Balleger should get the entire second half. I would like to see him eventually start a game too and then we can start making comparisons... You cant compare him to Cody yet by just letting him have some mop up duty at the end of a game.

Cody is NOT the long-term answer and even though he MAY be the best we have, Ballenger should get a chance to see if he can do anything better. So far he has shown he has a stronger arm and can stand in the pocket better than Cody.

18. str8jacket

str8jacket Member

Let's look at how our drives went, yeah?

5 Plays: 13 Yards Punt
    3 Plays 17 Yards Interception
    5 Plays 28 yards touchdown
    5 plays 25 yards punt
    3 plays -17 yards Safety
    11 plays 53 yards interception
    6 Plays 19 yards Punt
    6 plays 16 yards punt
    4 plays 41 yards touchdown
    3 plays 0 yards punt
    3 plays 4 yards punt
    6 plays 4 yards punt
    6 plays 37 yards null

so correct me if I'm wrong.

Ballenger came in on our 3rd to last drive?
    Can't get much worse than what Cody did. You really can't

19. Cornh8er

Cornh8er Well-Known Member

:yeahthat: I believe we gave up with 10 minutes to go. It was still a 2 possesion game and IMO we have a much better shot with cody. Ballenger was throwing like Pennington, little floaters. We need some real help on the OL.

Our D played good for the most part, but its hard when you're on the field the entire game

20. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

You don't make a switch at QB unless you are ready to make the switch for the rest of the season. Regardless of the stats that Ballenger has put up in garbage time the last two weeks (who gives a **** if he goes 5/8 when KU is rushing three and playing prevent D 10 yards down the field?), that means you have to think that either a) Ballenger has improved enough since fall practice that he can run the offense better than Cody or b) that it's time to give up on this season and look to the future only.

Personally, I think the OL is where the coaches need to focus their attention. If we can't establish a run game and give a QB (which ever one you choose) a pocket, we're screwed. I think with a run game and some time to throw, Cody is still the best QB we have. Finally, I think that if Cody is given time and a run game this team can compete with anyone else on our schedule except for maybe Mizzou.

It'd be nice if you could start Ballenger for a game and see how he does when the plays actually mean something, but you can't do that unless you are ready to make the switch full time. I just don't think I'm ready to concede that yet.

21. str8jacket

str8jacket Member

Why were they on the field the entire game?

22. Cornh8er

because our offense as a whole, were terrible. Mainly the OL

23. FightCu1414

I know this is crazy, but why don't we give Tyler Hansen a try. Missouri will be a good time for him and see how he does. I mean it can't get much worse then Hawkins and Ballenger likes to fumble and throw floaters that u can run from 10 yards a way and and pick it off. I don't know but since Ballenger got a shot why not give Hansen a shot.

24. str8jacket

str8jacket Member

So it was the offensive line was at fault for Cody running straight at our endzone for a safety................ok!

25. FightCu1414

That's waht happens when u lose 3 players off your O-line. The o line will do what they did last year. Struggle in the beginning then improve. We were saying hte same things last year.

26. str8jacket

str8jacket Member

Hansen is red shirting? Why blow the red shirt midway through the season? Might as well use Nelson before Hansen.

27. Cornh8er

I dont want to see a true freshman blow his RS this late in the year, and especially to make his first career start against a team like mizzou. We can try Nick Nelson or I think Patrick Williams was QB in HS:smile2:

28. Sexton Hardcastle

Throwing a true freshman to the wolves like that could do more bad then good imo.

29. FightCu1414

Sorry I was doing off the top of my head. Ya that would not be a good idea. Never mind.

30. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Can he drop a pass before he throws it? Intriguing question... :huh:

Hansen isn't the guy this year. No reason to blow his RS. But if he or Ballenger isn't the guy next year, serious questions about our QB recruiting process have to be asked...