What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ballenger was disappointing

So it was the offensive line was at fault for Cody running straight at our endzone for a safety................ok!

yeah he's just a little guy, he was scared with those big guys in blue running after him:smile2: In all seriousness, he has no confidence in his OL and thats why he's playing scared right now, happy feet. You can't play QB scared, but he is still our best option at this time

There's no doubt that the O-line is the root of our offensive problems, but even given that I still think it's time for a change at QB. And even if we were to commit to Ballenger for some time, that wouldn't at all be throwing away the rest of the season because our offense can't really get any worse. :huh:

Like people have said already here, I we do make the switch, we need to stick with it for the whole season. I'm not sure that the QB position is the main problem here.

He's trying to make too much happen on that play. He should've just thrown it away and taken the grounding penalty.

I'm sorry but I have no idea what it means to "Make something happen" by running towards your own endzone when the LOS is within the 20. He is no J-Fly and can't make those wide turns fast. It was almost as if I was playing against some kid that didnt have an idea on how to play NCAA 09 online.

Like people have said already here, I we do make the switch, we need to stick with it for the whole season. I'm not sure that the QB position is the main problem here.

Agreed, if we make the switch it has be for an extended period of time. I hate the idea of switching back and forth between QB's. And if the switch is for the rest of the season, then fine. As I said, our offense can't get much worse.

Cody isn't the entire problem, but answer one question. How many games this year has he clearly outplayed the opposing QB? I count only one (the first game against CSU). You are not going to win many games when you consistently get outplayed at the QB position.

Cody's time is over,DH needs to pull him out. He has peaked. Ballenger is the best answer we have to win another game this season. Everyone said he will bounce back because we will not see another pass rush like FSU, and Tu the rest of the season. Well Ku's D was NOT that great, and still Cody underperformed. the Oline needs to be fixed, but harder to do than simply putting in a QB with better tools. If Cody is the best answer we are looking at another sad, losing season, and poor recruiting class.

Only thing that B brings is height. His passing and his scrambling did not impress me. We are 3-3 why piss the season away. Only game we really don't have a shot at is Misery. I think we compete and hopefully win the rest.

Based on the amount of playing time each has had, Hell YEAH Ballenger is the answer. Next year, maybe Hansen or maybe Ballenger.

Listening to 850... Bobby Pesavento is giving slack to Ballenger today. He says he needs a full week of prep with the first team. Even though he got MORE reps this week, Bobby said it isn't enough or a freshmen. Not to mention, difficult at the end of the game when the team KNOWS you are passing.

Listening to 850... Bobby Pesavento is giving slack to Ballenger today. He says he needs a full week of prep with the first team. Even though he got MORE reps this week, Bobby said it isn't enough or a freshmen. Not to mention, difficult at the end of the game when the team KNOWS you are passing.

Oh and when the team knows you're losing and dont have momemtum, and so far your gameplan has sucked.

Some of you sound like you would prefer to keep throwing CH into the fire week after week and watch him struggle and fail? Why? What have you seen from him to suggest that he is capable of being an even competent QB at this level of competition?

Here's the deal:

He isn't very good. He isn't going to get better because his limitations are talent related, not experience. He can't learn to have a stronger arm. He can't learn to run faster. He can't learn to not be 5'9 (5'11? Lol. I've seen him on campus many times. He is nowhere near 6 ft tall).

Ballenger is tall. He's big. He has a strong arm. He is faster than CH and more elusive. He has the physical tools to be good. He needs experience.

Look at the difference.

CU is 3-3. We are going to have a losing season this year. Give the guy who needs experience some PT so we don't have another horrible year on offense next year. CH is not the answer. CU will never be even ranked while he is QB, much less competing for anything of note.

You mean like he did vs. OU last year? I remember a OL that actually gave him time to make plays last season.

How long is CU going to gravy train that victory? It was a great win, no question, but it was ONE game. Cody hasn't looked anywhere near that good since-and especially this year. (OK,maybe part of the bowl game) He does not have the physical tools needed to make CU better. He may be the best option we have, but if that's true, then this season is history anyway. Give MH the reps in practice and see what he's made of. He may or may not get it done, but we won't know until he's given a real shot. We already KNOW that Cody is not going to get it done. Two of the last three games were there for the taking if our QB can make some plays and it just isn't happening. It's not all his fault-I'm not blaming him-but the QB needs to make plays and it is apparent to me that CH has taken CU as far as he ever will.

Coach Hawk didn't give Ballenger a chance to try and spark the offense. If he wanted to improve the offensive output he would've played him in the 2nd Q (or started the 2nd half).

Putting him in down by 3 scores with 10 minutes left irritated me. Give the guy a chance when we have our whole playbook available and not just passing.

Ballenger MUST start against KSU. He needs serious PT before we head to Missou.

Fact is, right now Cody and Ballenger are equally bad.

Cody gets the practice reps and knows the offense better (maybe?) but doesn't have the physical tools.

Ballenger practices with the second team, and doesn't have the experience, but has the physical tools to do the job.

Cody has looked, in a word, awful against every team except for CSU and EWU, and even then, he had problems, and CSU and EWU aren't exactly powerhouses. Cody hasn't shown improvement since midway through last season. What you see is what you get, and he's not getting better.

Right now, Ballenger isn't better than Cody, but Ballenger gives the team something that Cody doesn't. Potential for improvement.

And all of you apologists who keep blaming the offensive line. Yes, the offensive line is a problem. And the fact is, the banged up offensive line makes Cody look WORSE than he is because he doesn't have the tools to overcome a bad offensive line.

To overcome a bad offensive line, you need a QB who is tall enough to see over the offensive and defensive line to throw quick slants and screens. Cody can't do that. You need a QB with the arm to hit a 5 or 10 yard out without giving the corner time to come over and intercept the ball. Cody can't do that. You need a QB that doesn't melt in the face of the pressure and go blank. (I'm not even going to touch that after the safety today) You need a QB who can throw on the run, I know it's getting repetitive, but Cody can't do that. You need a QB who can complete a pass more than 15 yards down the field to get the 8th man out of the box. Cody can't do that.

Ballenger may not be able to do that either, but we KNOW that Cody can't, so why not try someone else.

Cody has had 6 games against number one defenses and 4 of those have been awful. Everyone is judging Ballenger after 10 minutes of mop-up time, coming in cold, against a defense that knows they have to drop back and throw the ball to come back. Until Ballenger plays a full game, start to finish, no one can say whether he's better. But hell, he certainly can't be much worse.

FWIW... Ballenger floated a couple balls, but he did something Cody doesn't. He stood tall in the pocket and didn't get happy feet. He kept his eyes downfield, and he actually stepped up to avoid pressure and still complete a pass. They are small things that may mean nothing. But they are small things you won't see from the QB position with Cody at the helm.

FWIW2... The offensive line, while not great, really didn't look too bad today. The opportunities were there all day today for the QB, and they were wasted.

FWIW3... The defense should take NO blame for anything during this slide. They are solid through the first 2 and a half quarters. When the opponents time of possession is more than double yours at that point, your defense is going to get tired. The defensive problems are directly tied to the offenses inability to do... well... anything.

Coach Hawk didn't give Ballenger a chance to try and spark the offense. If he wanted to improve the offensive output he would've played him in the 2nd Q (or started the 2nd half).

Putting him in down by 3 scores with 10 minutes left irritated me. Give the guy a chance when we have our whole playbook available and not just passing.

:yeahthat:

Ballenger MUST start against KSU. He needs serious PT before we head to Missou.

First Off I support Cody, but no kidding what Tell's a kid ok games gone to **** so go in there kid. That does not in anyway give a kid confidence at all. If Ballenger was some god like prospect sure go for that scenario, but he is at best a workable to max high average QB. Throw a kid in a situation like that and he knows games cooked and this is nothing more than mop up time.

Cody gets the practice reps and knows the offense better (maybe?) but doesn't have the physical tools.

Ballenger practices with the second team, and doesn't have the experience, but has the physical tools to do the job.

Cody has looked, in a word, awful against every team except for CSU and EWU, and even then, he had problems, and CSU and EWU aren't exactly powerhouses. Cody hasn't shown improvement since midway through last season. What you see is what you get, and he's not getting better.

Right now, Ballenger isn't better than Cody, but Ballenger gives the team something that Cody doesn't. Potential for improvement.

And all of you apologists who keep blaming the offensive line. Yes, the offensive line is a problem. And the fact is, the banged up offensive line makes Cody look WORSE than he is because he doesn't have the tools to overcome a bad offensive line.

To overcome a bad offensive line, you need a QB who is tall enough to see over the offensive and defensive line to throw quick slants and screens. Cody can't do that. You need a QB with the arm to hit a 5 or 10 yard out without giving the corner time to come over and intercept the ball. Cody can't do that. You need a QB that doesn't melt in the face of the pressure and go blank. (I'm not even going to touch that after the safety today) You need a QB who can throw on the run, I know it's getting repetitive, but Cody can't do that. You need a QB who can complete a pass more than 15 yards down the field to get the 8th man out of the box. Cody can't do that.

Ballenger may not be able to do that either, but we KNOW that Cody can't, so why not try someone else.

Cody has had 6 games against number one defenses and 4 of those have been awful. Everyone is judging Ballenger after 10 minutes of mop-up time, coming in cold, against a defense that knows they have to drop back and throw the ball to come back. Until Ballenger plays a full game, start to finish, no one can say whether he's better. But hell, he certainly can't be much worse.

FWIW... Ballenger floated a couple balls, but he did something Cody doesn't. He stood tall in the pocket and didn't get happy feet. He kept his eyes downfield, and he actually stepped up to avoid pressure and still complete a pass. They are small things that may mean nothing. But they are small things you won't see from the QB position with Cody at the helm.

FWIW2... The offensive line, while not great, really didn't look too bad today. The opportunities were there all day today for the QB, and they were wasted.
FWIW3... The defense should take NO blame for anything during this slide. They are solid through the first 2 and a half quarters. When the opponents time of possession is more than double yours at that point, your defense is going to get tired. The defensive problems are directly tied to the offenses inability to do... well... anything.

I won't argue that qb play doesn't need great improvement, but our ol play has been equally poor. For Speedy to go over 100 yards against FSU, but be stymied by the Squawks, speaks to how poorly that unit is playing. This offense has issues. If Hawk sticks with the offensive philosophy he's professed all along, the running game has got to get going.

Ballenger looked like he was lobbing the ball on all of his long throws. I guess he looked suprisisingly good against Texas but looked bad to me. NOt saying Hawkins looked much better, but he knows the system and doesnt fumble every single snap or fumble every time he gets sacked(which is every possesion it seems)

I think Ballenger needs to get much more playing time. I was at both games he has played and he didn't look as good at KU as he did against UT but he is inexperienced. Who knows if Ballenger would do better than Cody but he does have the size, mobility and arm srength that Cody doesn't have. To me the bottom line is the offense doesn't seem to be progressing with Cody and it isn't all his fault but at some point I think a change, at least temporarily, is warranted.

There is blame to go all around as our whole offense is very young but it also showed improvement last year and this year just seems to be stagnant. I would also suggest dumping this hurry-up offense and running it the way they were last year.

Last edited:

That is it in a nutshell. With a healthy line, Cody might be the better choice for wins this season. With the issues we have at OL, we need the tools that Bally brings to the table. People are saying 'Don't sacrifice a winning season to get Bally experience; I say we are sacraficing a winning season by keeping Cody in there. We HAVE to have a QB who can make all the throws, can run, and does not get rattled with the OL we have this year (after injuries) and Cody does not meet those qualifications.

I won't argue that qb play doesn't need great improvement, but our ol play has been equally poor. For Speedy to go over 100 yards against FSU, but be stymied by the Squawks, speaks to how poorly that unit is playing. This offense has issues. If Hawk sticks with the offensive philosophy he's professed all along, the running game has got to get going.

There is NO threat for a deep passing game which lets opponents consistently put 8 and 9 men in the box. I think this, as much as the injuries and anything else makes the O-line look worse than it is.

Back