What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Barnett in a VERY candid interview on 104.3 Right Now! Bohn to Follow.

Barnett or Hawkins?

• Total voters
70-3 really?? Wasnt that in the big 12 championship (4th time in 5 years as I recall) whereas Hawk hasn't even sniffed that yet. I am sick of the 70-3 bull****. Ps 55-0 to Mizzou is worse then 70-3 against one of the best teams in college football history. That argument is a bunch of bull****.
Hey, I was kidding!

Horse****. We didnt even have enough OL to practice with, the QBs sucked and no 26yo walkon was going to bail him out. In reality Barney got a favor so he got his money and didnt have to deal with the mess the next year. He may have beaten MSU, but that would have been about it.

You know what pisses me off? Klatt would've been the QB in 2006 had he not burned his redshirt on a few garbage-time plays in 2002. Those 3 attempts with no completions really screwed us. How many more games would we have won with Klatt at QB in '06?:cry:

You know what pisses me off? Klatt would've been the QB in 2006 had he not burned his redshirt on a few garbage-time plays in 2002. Those 3 attempts with no completions really screwed us. How many more games would we have won with Klatt at QB in '06?:cry:

:yeahthat:
I'd completely forgotten about that...so true.

Hey, I was kidding!

Haha :thumbsup:, just a little edgy lately and have gotten tired of all the Barnett bashing I have heard since he left. I just felt that until recently the majority put him down (momentum starting to change on that :rolleyes:), despite the fact that he left very gracefully and was imo a great coach whose career at CU got ruined by the "scandal". And he is still very much a Buff at heart. I never said much the first couple years after he was fired but both this board and netbuffs were full of the "70-3" type comments.

probably none. concussion issues were huge with Klatt.

He tried out in a couple NFL rookie camps, so he certainly could have seen the field in 06.

In 02, it looked like the QB of the future was going to be Ochs. Who would have thought to hold the walk-on out of a game for fear of blowing his redshirt?

He tried out in a couple NFL rookie camps, so he certainly could have seen the field in 06.

In 02, it looked like the QB of the future was going to be Ochs. Who would have thought to hold the walk-on out of a game for fear of blowing his redshirt?

naw, Ochs comes off the bench for his first action in 00 against a very for real KSU team (that loses twice to eventual NC Oklahoma).....02 is Hodge. Ochs is gone.

...and then there was that minor little dormatory incident that sent Colt Brennen packing. Colt lit it up in Hawaii.

Haha :thumbsup:, just a little edgy lately and have gotten tired of all the Barnett bashing I have heard since he left. I just felt that until recently the majority put him down (momentum starting to change on that :rolleyes:), despite the fact that he left very gracefully and was imo a great coach whose career at CU got ruined by the "scandal". And he is still very much a Buff at heart. I never said much the first couple years after he was fired but both this board and netbuffs were full of the "70-3" type comments.
I understand. For the record, I'm a huge GB fan. I just got pissed at the "3-9" thing. Not that I'm a huge Hawkins supporter, I'm just sick of the bashing going on. Enough already. Lets get past last season, move on, and turn this thing around.

I understand. For the record, I'm a huge GB fan. I just got pissed at the "3-9" thing. Not that I'm a huge Hawkins supporter, I'm just sick of the bashing going on. Enough already. Lets get past last season, move on, and turn this thing around.
You are a huge Hawk supporter....the only one around here. We all want this turned around....clearly. It seems unlikely at this point, based upon Danny's insane, stupid ramblings.

70-3? I'm not sure Vince Young would make it all the way through the first quarter if he got to play a Dan Hawkins coached team. We surely would not have gotten on the scoreboard, either.

I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, but if Tyler turns out to be a decent qB, I wonder if we'll be saying something similar when his eligibility runs out a year before we want him to leave?

You are a huge Hawk supporter....the only one around here. We all want this turned around....clearly. It seems unlikely at this point, based upon Danny's insane, stupid ramblings.

:lol::lol:
:rofl:Look at it this way. If Hawk turns it around, I get to give a couple of hundred people ****. If he doesn't, you guys can only give one guy **** :smile2:. But, on the other hand, if he turns it around, each one of you only gets **** from one guy, if not, I get **** from a couple of hundred of you. :huh:

Last edited:
:rofl:Look at it this way. If Hawk turns it around, I get to give a couple of hundred people ****. If he doesn't, you guys can only give one guy **** :smile2:. But, on the other hand, if he turns it around, each one of you only gets **** from one guy, if not, I get **** from a couple of hundred of you. :huh:

I think Mullen could beat the Broncos. Everyone thinks I'm nuts. If they ever play them and win I get to give everyone ****. If they lose I get **** from a bunch of people.

Barnett Question

I’d like to get your (AllBuffs) take on Barnett. I’m a Texas grad and follow CU, but not as closely, obviously, as most or all of you guys.

I thought he was a good coach. For what it’s worth, I believe he was the #1 candidate for the Texas job and had it pretty much locked up until Mack came in at the last minute...not that that means anything...

He had a decent record, some very good years and some average years, but only one really bad year. Seems like he recruited well and was putting guys in the NFL. I absolutely loved his 2001 team. Pound the rock and use the tight ends in the passing game.

Barnett just seemed like a solid coach to me and I particularly liked his “straight talk” style. It kind of reflects the person, no BS.

Records will ebb and flow, especially if you’re not located smack in the middle of the best recruiting like Florida or SC, but I believe Barnett, had he been retained, would have posted some good results in the past four years, especially with the North not being what it once was. I think CU could have had a couple more North titles and who knows what else.

Re: Barnett Question

Supposedly Dodds nixed UT's hire of Barnett. To hear Horns tell it, he sniffed Barnett out as a bad seed.

I agree with your take on Barnett, if anything I give him more credit. I think he is an exceptional coach who was continually saddled with obstacles here until he could no longer be effective. There are not many coaches who have won conference titles in two different BCS conferences, and he did it at two schools not considered "haves" (especially Northwestern).

I agreed it was time for him to leave, but only because of the aura surrounding our program at the end of his tenure that could only be lifted by his departure. FWIW, I think the scandal was a complete and utter bull**** witchunt.

I’d like to get your (AllBuffs) take on Barnett. I’m a Texas grad and follow CU, but not as closely, obviously, as most or all of you guys.

I thought he was a good coach. For what it’s worth, I believe he was the #1 candidate for the Texas job and had it pretty much locked up until Mack came in at the last minute...not that that means anything...

He had a decent record, some very good years and some average years, but only one really bad year. Seems like he recruited well and was putting guys in the NFL. I absolutely loved his 2001 team. Pound the rock and use the tight ends in the passing game.

Barnett just seemed like a solid coach to me and I particularly liked his “straight talk” style. It kind of reflects the person, no BS.

Records will ebb and flow, especially if you’re not located smack in the middle of the best recruiting like Florida or SC, but I believe Barnett, had he been retained, would have posted some good results in the past four years, especially with the North not being what it once was. I think CU could have had a couple more North titles and who knows what else.

Take away the scandal that wasn't and you are pretty much right on.

GB was a solid coach, and miles ahead of the dimwit we have now. He really got handcuffed on the recruiting trail because of the BS the joke of a DA stirred up and then that BS was lovingly baked into a giant **** casserole by the plaintiffs' attorney, who oddly enough had a wife serving on the Board of Regents. (Disclaimer: this is my opinion).

Having said all that, I was pretty disappointed in how the players, and the women, in question handled the whole affair. It was not good, but hardly the booze induced free-for-all portrayed in the media. If it had been my daughters, I'd be pissed. If it had been my sons, I'd be pissed. But even though it all happened off-campus, GB got the lion's share of the blame.

After that, I think GB lost a lot of the fire but was still winning more than he lost. Given the circumstances, I don't think he could have stayed here. Not because he wasn't a good enough coach, but because the Boulder establishment was going to get him one way or the other.

GB wasn't perfect. He had his flaws, but he was a far superior coach, and cranked out teams far superior to what we are watching now. JMO.

I thought Barnett was an excellent game day coach and did a lot with the talent he had.

The recruiting scandel really hurt him in a lot of ways IMO with recruiting, who he went after in recruiting, and coaching. Remember going into Barnett's 3rd to last game at cu, the buffs had two losses on the season and were ranked. The last time we were ranked. He struggled to beat ranked opponents late in his career, but IMO he is/was a good coach. Thw witch hunt just ruined him.

A LOT better than what we have now.

We would have continued to win about 6-7 games a year and gotten blown out against top 25 teams. Would have made bowl games two out of every three years or so. Would I take it over what we have now? Yes. Would I be all that much happier about the state of the program? Probably not.

GB certainly got a lot more out of his players than the current guy. But aside from the scandal, he made some pretty stupid remarks (okay, you don't fire a guy for that) and had some kind of unexplainable slush fund that probably violated NCAA rules.

Supposedly Dodds nixed UT's hire of Barnett. To hear Horns tell it, he sniffed Barnett out as a bad seed.

I agree with your take on Barnett, if anything I give him more credit. I think he is an exceptional coach who was continually saddled with obstacles here until he could no longer be effective. There are not many coaches who have won conference titles in two different BCS conferences, and he did it at two schools not considered "haves" (especially Northwestern).

I agreed it was time for him to leave, but only because of the aura surrounding our program at the end of his tenure that could only be lifted by his departure. FWIW, I think the scandal was a complete and utter bull**** witchunt.

:yeahthat:

Obviously, someone had to take the fall for the BS stuff and it ended up being him. Which was a shame, because he had the right attitude to convey to players. His squads were nearly always tough and competed hard, even if they didn't win. He was great on game days and I think carried himself in the manner I want CU football to be known for -- smart playing and tough-nosed.

We're so far from all that now it feels like he hasn't been HC here in 15 years.

We would have continued to win about 6-7 games a year and gotten blown out against top 25 teams. Would have made bowl games two out of every three years or so. Would I take it over what we have now? Yes. Would I be all that much happier about the state of the program? Probably not.

That is exactly what would have happened. He went 3-8, and 5-7 before the scandal , so there is more to losing than the scandal. GB was a decent coach, but I really wanted more. He was phoning in the recruiting.

Good coach but scandal took him down. There was no recovering from it as it was too easy for the competition to blow up his recruiting classes and thus he had no chance of recovery.

GB certainly got a lot more out of his players than the current guy. But aside from the scandal, he made some pretty stupid remarks (okay, you don't fire a guy for that) and had some kind of unexplainable slush fund that probably violated NCAA rules.

Just to set the record straight...there was no slush fund and it did not violate NCAA rules. It was the money from his football camp which after being investigated by the University and the IRS...everything was found to be on the up and up. The accounting was not the best but it was not the worse either. He actually used the money from the football camp to: pay for college tuition for his assistant coaches children, presents for the coaches wives, and bonuses for his assistant coaches.

Just to set the record straight...there was no slush fund and it did not violate NCAA rules. It was the money from his football camp which after being investigated by the University and the IRS...everything was found to be on the up and up. The accounting was not the best but it was not the worse either. He actually used the money from the football camp to: pay for college tuition for his assistant coaches children, presents for the coaches wives, and bonuses for his assistant coaches.

I did not know that - thanks for the correction.

That is exactly what would have happened. He went 3-8, and 5-7 before the scandal , so there is more to losing than the scandal. GB was a decent coach, but I really wanted more. He was phoning in the recruiting.

Barnett pretty much lost my support with the 2003 season. I wanted more too, especially when you consider Barnett was making $1.6 million/year.

I never liked GB that much. He was way to loyal to his coaching staff even when it was clear they were incompetent (this played a significant role in his firing). He was horrible at making adjustments at half time. He also frequently under utilized his most talented players (how many times were we screaming for him to put the ball in Vicker's or Bloom's hands?!). And last but not least he had a very big ego.

All that being said he had a passion for CU and he was able to get more out of recruits who were typically average at best.

Boulder Buff pretty much nailed it. If we still had him we would be better but still not happy.

Back