1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barnett on the Fan, just ripped the CU administration.

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by JimmyBuff, Nov 9, 2010.

1. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

says until CU football is important to the administration and inside the school, CU isn't a good job..

I missed some of the interview, but its a must hear interview. I'm sure it will be up on the archives later.

says leach, belloti won't be interested in CU.

says Hawk was a good hire, didn't work because he was overwhelmed by the inside stuff at CU.

didn't like that Hawk was fired with 3 games left. What's the big deal of Hawk coaching 3 more games according to Barnett.

2. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

whatever. I like the move and that is all that counts...for me anyway

3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I think GB is correct to a point. I think CU is starting to come around to the importance of a strong athletic department and a strong football program in particular. It's been a hard lesson to learn, but I believe it's been learned.

Where GB is wrong is by saying Hawkins was a good hire. He wasn't. He was a miserable failure. He was totally incompetent and had no business on the sideline of a major BCS school.

4. Del

Del Member

What Barnett says about the administration is true, but he's kidding himself to think that they should have kept Hawk after KU --

5. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

I would say he is right, at the time Dan seemed like a great option. All the way up to the 2nd quarter of the Montana State game.

6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

A defensible hire and a good hire are two different things. The hire is certainly defensible. History tells us it was not good.

7. DrunkPanda

DrunkPanda Active Member

what makes you think our athletic department wants a strong football program? bohn just said in the press conference that our budget for our next headcoach is less than $2 million. that to me says the opposite

8. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

Well maybe we need to bring you guys in here to hire the next guy since you can see the future and all.

9. unionbuff

unionbuff Club Member Club Member

I'm kind of tired of hearing Barnett be the expert on CU. I understand that he has experience here, but it didn't end well at all & he was bitter. I'm not saying that this administration is showing that they want a strong program, but since it's a 100% different from when he was coaching here, I don't know why he is considered an "expert" on CU.
    I guess I'm just tired of being beaten down today. To me, it's a day to start anew - I'm tired of hearing the negativity.

10. ladyblaise

ladyblaise Club Member Club Member

this. i still have a few things to say to barnett, as well, if he wants to continue flapping colorado football.

11. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

At least he didnt mention the kicker problems we have.

CaliBuff901 and 14er like this.
  12. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

:lol: rep

13. SteelCity Buff

SteelCity Buff Member

GB may very well be bitter, but he didn't sound that way in today's interview. That tool Evans tried to get Gary to swing at Hawk's "burned to the ground" comments, but GB didn't go there. He had chances to be bitter about Bohn during the interview, too, but he wasn't. He was almost complimentary to Bohn untill they broached the subject of firing Hawk with 3 games left.

14. JimmyBuff

15. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

I don't have an issue with what GB said. He said they should have kept Hawk for the last three games just because of the kids that signed up to play for him and it is supposed to be about the kids.

Said CU's major problems are internal with the academics that are running things and this is the reason that many coaches will not be interested in the CU job. For anyone familiar with CU this is nothing new. This is why Gordon Gee left all those years ago, and this is why every year we are bitching about the admissions department rejecting a recruit, and never issuing waivers for any borderline players.

16. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

Said CU's major problems are internal with the academics that are running things and this is the reason that many coaches will not be interested in the CU job. For anyone familiar with CU this is nothing new. This is why Gordon Gee left all those years ago, and this is why every year we are bitching about the admissions department rejecting a recruit, and never issuing waivers for any borderline players.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to think that Mac has givin his two cents to Benson & DiStiff about how they need to keep their minds on what they do best, and leave the football program to those who know how to build a solid program without interfearence from them.

17. GBL

GBL Club Member Club Member

I agreed with most of what he said. My uncle still hangs out with Gary and a mutual friend and he has always looked back thinking they were SO close to greatness. I heard that come out again in this interview, too. Not bitter, just wishes he had the chance to finish. I know a lot of people diss Gary but I still think he was a scapegoat from the mess at the university. Anyways, good interview.

18. HornBuff

HornBuff Horns Down

He is just sticking up for a fellow coach. He may or may not actually believe that.

19. Kingfisher

Kingfisher New Member

I will listen to what Gary Barnett has to say when he gets another coaching job. Until then it's just another unemployed moron mouthing off.

20. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I really like GB, but I disagree with what he's saying. However, I think he has a purpose in what he's saying. He's firing a shot across the bow. But I believe, as Sacky says, that the admin is coming or has come around to what needs to be done. For instance, if what Bohn says is true by implying that the new coach will get even close to $2 million and the assistants will get substantially more than they do now, then that is a HUGE step forward by the admin.

21. cruisebuff

cruisebuff Club Member Club Member

Didn't Neuheisal say "Gary's a smart man" when Neu left the Buffs, saying Barnett would eventually figure out that the problem at CU is lack of administration support? Now we hear Barnett saying the same thing, and I think he's right. We need Mac to force the administrative changes needed to compete on the Pac 12.

22. JimmyBuff

Slick Rick was the first to mention that CU administration didn't have their **** together..

23. nycskibum

nycskibum Member

completely agree.

Darian3Hagan likes this.
  24. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

This has long been rumored to be the problem at CU. I dont know if Mac can overcome it any better. At least we have cool uniforms. :/

25. mke1010

mke1010 Member

From all accounts, hawk was an arrogant prick. He treated the fans, media and boosters with disdain. So why should he get to coach out the season and leave on the easiest terms? I am glad he got his nose bloodied. Dan Hakins did not deserve to leave with his dignity intact not just because of his incompetence but the fact that he was a bad person off the field. Personally I wish the ending had even been more demeaning for him and I have no qualms saying this with my head held high. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  26. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

I understand that if the admin does not support the program moving forward we are going to continue to struggle. Now the but. If we spend close to $2 million on the next coach, that will be very competitive in the Pac. Someone posted it earlier, but a $2 million salary or close to it will put CU in the top third of highest paid coaches in the PAC. Salaries in the Pac are below the Big XII, SEC and Big X but $2 million will attract a quality HC in my opinion. Now if the below $2 million dips below say $1.7, I will question the committment. We will see.

27. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

I like it when Gary bashes the admin they are all hacks and dont know how to run a successful AD.

28. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Hasn't Mick said numerous times the academic hate for football is seriously overblown?

29. GoldenBuff

GoldenBuff Club Member Club Member

As "research faculty" now myself, I can confirm this. I know there are some who think that way but they are definitely in the minority, at least inasmuch as I've observed. Honestly, I think that most faculty members just don't care because they're too busy dealing with grant writing and teaching. My boss doesn't even give 2 $hits about the day to day operation of his own lab so I don't think football is even on his radar.

30. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Barnett's slush fund must be running low. The $3 million CU paid him wasn't enough?