What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Baylor Rape HQ - (major lawsuit settled)

To be clear, innocence and guilt is incidental in reality, in the case of baylor. This is really about the suppression of credible reports, and subsequent bullying of those that reported. Very, very different than the cases you referenced.

Well, yeah, they're very different; the main difference being that no crimes were committed in Duke and Virginia. Zero. And i'm glad to hear that the criminals in the Baylor case got convicted.

Well, yeah, they're very different; the main difference being that no crimes were committed in Duke and Virginia. Zero. And i'm glad to hear that the criminals in the Baylor case got convicted.
No, that's not the main difference.

I agree with you that false claims are a horrible thing--they ruin lives of innocent people, and bring scrutiny to legitimate claims. But we're really examining institutional behavior, in this case. So that has to be the solitary standard.

Again, the innocence or guilt is not "the main difference". It's not even correlated, actually.

I'm not as deep into the Baylor case(s) as many of you guys here. I'f your subject matter is mainly the institutional behavior stuff, that IS interesting but beyond my level of interest in it. I'm more concerned with the justice side of the actual accusations/evidence/trials and hoping that nothing crappy happens, i.e. criminals going free and/or innocent folks going to jail.

I'm not as deep into the Baylor case(s) as many of you guys here. I'f your subject matter is mainly the institutional behavior stuff, that IS interesting but beyond my level of interest in it. I'm more concerned with the justice side of the actual accusations/evidence/trials and hoping that nothing crappy happens, i.e. criminals going free and/or innocent folks going to jail.
Right.

But if students are bullied when they report sexual assault, or evidence is routinely suppressed, or processes aren't pursued following report, it's difficult to get to a place where justice is an option.

I get that one of the reporting channels is legal. And that was a central issue in the fans' perspective of our own scandal. But different people report differently for different reasons, and an educational institution has to be committed to the safety of it's students.

My point is, that institutional behavior is correlated to justice.

No, that's not the main difference.

I agree with you that false claims are a horrible thing--they ruin lives of innocent people, and bring scrutiny to legitimate claims. But we're really examining institutional behavior, in this case. So that has to be the solitary standard.

Again, the innocence or guilt is not "the main difference". It's not even correlated, actually.

This is the whole point.

Individuals will act badly, happens everywhere. Every university has individuals who they wish had never stepped foot on campus. When bad things happen or appear to happen they are often mishandled. Again people get hurt and you wish it hadn't happened but other than knowing that you need to find better leadership it doesn't mean that a school is a bad place.

Schools like Penn State, U of Miami, Nebraska, and maybe worst of the bunch Baylor are a different story. They are not just a question of individuals acting badly. Instead they are examples of institutions that are corrupt to the core. Institutions that knowingly and willingly allow, even encourage behavior that damages other people as long as their institutional goals (in these cases athletic glory) are met. These same institutions then try to protect the institution and it's evil elements to the expense of individuals lives.

I'm not well informed on this Baylor stuff, so forgive my not knowing this, but have any Baylor students been charged with a crime? I see a lot about civil suits, etc. Just too involved a story to follow for me, about a school I don't care about.

If you care about the reputation of college football as it is related to the treatment of women, then you should pay more attention to this Baylor scandal.

Convicted of Sexual Assault: 2
Title IX plaintiffs: Jane Doe's 1-9
Findings by Baylor's independent investigator: 105
BU committees set up to address compliance issues disclosed by Pepper Hamilton: 18
Federal investigations: 1

I like many other posters on this board have daughters who one day are going to be going to college.

The issue to me is will the institutions that they go to (hopefully CU but we will see when the time comes) will be doing everything they can to provide an environment where all will be safe and respected.

I wonder how the fathers of some of the victims (identified and not identified) would respond if you asked them if Baylor going to bowl games is worth what happened to their daughters.

It wouldn't be an issue anyways but there is no way I would let one of my kids go to that school, now or in the future.

Flipping through yesterday's games, including baylor and p state, I wondered what the reaction would have been if the baylor victims were all children, rather than young-adult women. I'm guessing the outcry would be several times more intense.
Makes an interesting point about how much we value and respect women

Flipping through yesterday's games, including baylor and p state, I wondered what the reaction would have been if the baylor victims were all children, rather than young-adult women. I'm guessing the outcry would be several times more intense.
Makes an interesting point about how much we value and respect women
Are you suggesting that, as a society, we value and respect women less than children? I think the increase in outcry for child victims of any crime, is usually rooted in their inability to defend themselves from the attack. Much like it is for violence against domestic animals. I don't think it means that we value them more than women. And to take that a step further, I think that is why so many here are incensed at the Baylor case, because Baylor, as an institution, is systematically taking away the victim's ability to seek justice.

Are you suggesting that, as a society, we value and respect women less than children? I think the increase in outcry for child victims of any crime, is usually rooted in their inability to defend themselves from the attack. Much like it is for violence against domestic animals. I don't think it means that we value them more than women. And to take that a step further, I think that is why so many here are incensed at the Baylor case, because Baylor, as an institution, is systematically taking away the victim's ability to seek justice.

I totally agree with your logic and the fact that children do need more protection, but most women usually are also extremely vulnerable, maybe, for most intents and purposes, helpless, when dealing with 200+ pound athletes.
And yes, while it is very understandable, I don't think we react nearly as strongly when the defenseless are women, as opposed to children.. Baylor is drawing a reaction now, but much of this goes well back in time and the fact is, there was very little contemporaneous reaction. Some of this has been going on there for years and the average 'bear' felt football success was more important than addressing the harms to these women. I think if these had been children victims, people would not have engaged in the widespread cover-up. I have a 13 year-old daughter and I am looking at both horrible sides of the coin

I totally agree with your logic and the fact that children do need more protection, but most women usually are also extremely vulnerable, maybe, for most intents and purposes, helpless, when dealing with 200+ pound athletes.
And yes, while it is very understandable, I don't think we react nearly as strongly when the defenseless are women, as opposed to children.. Baylor is drawing a reaction now, but much of this goes well back in time and the fact is, there was very little contemporaneous reaction. Some of this has been going on there for years and the average 'bear' felt football success was more important than addressing the harms to these women. I think if these had been children victims, people would not have engaged in the widespread cover-up. I have a 13 year-old daughter and I am looking at both horrible sides of the coin

David Koresh was into pediphelia and the Feds came down pretty hard on him.

@PAHIBuff

Somewhat in answer to your concerns about justice (you were wondering if reports were filed), this article suggests that police reports were filed and suppressed. Bad stuff.
Ramsower said the Baylor campus police department he oversees had a history of burying sexual assault complaints that came to them.
http://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/bay...ault-allegation-against-star-football-player/

Patty Crawford has years of experience investigating sexual assaults. But nothing, she said, prepared her for Baylor.

anybody watch the 60 minutes broadcast?
Yes. Just grazed the surface but the face to face interview was a microcosm of many of the complaints we have expressed in this post. Disregard for the severity and extent and passing of the buck to the police.... **** bailer

Art: Hey man don't pin this on me I made sure I was the last to know,...... ahhh wait that didnt come out right, your not recording this are you ?

Art Briles
upload_2016-11-2_9-48-27.jpeg

So glad that 60 Minutes took this on. Baylor is evil.

Patty Crawford couldn't be moneywhiped with a $1.5M offer by BU in exchange for her silence. Good for her.

That interview was a horrible look on Reagan Ramsower. Amazing that he still oversees BU compliance and the campus PD.

Patty Crawford couldn't be moneywhiped with a $1.5M offer by BU in exchange for her silence. Good for her.

That interview was a horrible look on Reagan Ramsower. Amazing that he still oversees BU compliance and the campus PD.

They all prayed on it and, shockingly, they wanted to be able to forgive, retain and continue with business as usual from his department... and their prayers were answered.

HOLY **** Ian McCaw actively sought immunity for the football team...This has got to be getting into death penalty territory now as this is Direct AD intervention right?

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...nator-says-former-ad-ian-mccaw-asked-immunity
I believe (has this been addressed?) that the best way to demonstrate that you didn't bully women who said things that tarnished your University's image, is to bully the woman that is now saying things which tarnish your University's image.

Crawford told Outside the Lines she received more than 400 reports of alleged sexual assault, rape and other incidents during the two years she worked as the university's Title IX coordinator, from July 2014 until she abruptly resigned last month.
"Baylor would never let me release the reporting numbers because they were so high and they are complex; they're not all sexual assaults or rape cases," Crawford said. "I was getting reports from the past before I even came, so it doesn't reflect necessarily this is all happening this month sort of thing."

HOLY **** Ian McCaw actively sought immunity for the football team...This has got to be getting into death penalty territory now as this is Direct AD intervention right?

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...nator-says-former-ad-ian-mccaw-asked-immunity

The article is brutal but somehow it doesn't surprise me. Baylor trying to give a general immunity to the entire football team then trying to attack Patty Crawford instead of dealing with the issues she brought forward.

Typical, they thought they could bring in a woman to put a sympathetic face on the issue and cover up their disgraceful behavior. When she wouldn't go along they then try to divert attention onto her and make her look bitter or incompetent.

Hey Baylor good ol' boys, it's not working.

Vandy player who orchestrated the gang rape of a passed out female student was sentenced to 17 years. He's 23. Won't get out until he's 40.

Back