What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Baylor Rape HQ - (major lawsuit settled)

I read through the legal report that is floating around the web and it lacks all specifics. What really did Briles do? Did he really coach accused rapists what to say, or was he just in charge when all this went down?

Oh, and I am sure that other current p5 teams are just dying to kick in the door to join the b12 as they "expand." dead conference. They either pull in some programs that aren't currently p5 or they keep getting picked apart by stronger conferences with less problems. Thank you Baylor. Even if you don't get the death penalty, you are now so radioactive that no p5 conference will take you if the b12 implodes and you will chill other p5 teams from being poached to save the b12. Heroic effort. It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

I could see an all-texasss conference emerging, with the shorthorns adding some more texas directional schools and bible schools to fill out the conference. the annual whining about their treatment in the rankings and playoff placement will be something to behold.

We have seen again and again....the old SW conf schools are poisonnnn.

I read through the legal report that is floating around the web and it lacks all specifics. What really did Briles do? Did he really coach accused rapists what to say, or was he just in charge when all this went down?
The whole report hasnt been released... everything that is public has been broad strokes from within the report

I think that a lot of it is the fact that he was the guy in charge, but here is what I think stands out from the report that could be directly attributed to Briles:
  • Football coaches met with victims of sexual and domestic assault, and then did not report said assaults to authority
  • Football coaches failed to follow procedure and obstructed investigations in some cases
  • Football coaches worked to divert cases from legal channels and handle discipline "internally"
  • Football coaches failed to do due diligence on incoming transfers, putting students in harm's way
Given the fact that Briles was the only guy dismissed and the rest of the staff is remaining intact (for now), you can either read between the lines that every time "football coaches" are referred to in the report that it really means a group led by or under Briles' supervision.

I'm not sure if he coached anyone on what to say; I do not think that was found in the report and would be speculation at this point. I believe that may be confusion from an earlier post in this thread discussing what Butch Jones is accused of doing.

Just caught up on this and am smiling at the turn of the worm for **** Bailer. Sad for the victims and hope this is only the beginning of their seeking justice which continues to bury this morally corrupt and hypocritical religious institution. And did I say, **** bailer?

They've been radioactive since the Patrick Dennehy thing. Remember, this is the same school that saw one of their men's basketball players KILL another one, and that preceded a cover-up that their coach got involved in......which brings us to Ian McCaw, who was brought in the aftermath of that scandal. How he manages to keep his job is beyond me. Its time to drop the hammer on that Athletic Department-the whatever it takes to win mentality has to stop. Everytime I look, assistants are getting suspended for recruiting violations, they're taking in kids they knew had issues with violence against women and playing dumb when the same thing happens on their campus (Chris Petersen in the case of that Ukewachu or whatever his name is). In a similar instance to this at Montana, the NCAA didn't get involved IIRC. They have to here.....we're in Lifetime Achievement Award territory.

Baylor should have had this as their motto: Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Don't Rape. I wonder if they filmed this in Waco.

1310 The Ticket here in DFW has a weekly segment that features our own Joel Klatt and his thoughts on CFB. He perhaps had the best take on Art Briles of any that I have heard. In short he spoke about growing up a HS coaches son and about his brother being a HS coach currently. His take and he prefaced it by saying this is no excuse at all and the entire thing disgusts him. At the HS level, and this is compounded here in Texas, a HS Coach is the judge and jury on his campus when players go awry. He said he believes Art was doing exactly what he has always done investigated and handed down punishment as he saw fit, right or wrong. Problem is this is a high profile P5 school where the rules are completely different and his ignorance of this or blatant disregard is at the very least cause for termination. After listening my thought is Baylor needs to completely clean house, their avoidance of this shows that winning is more important then right and wrong. Make no mistake there are offenders still in place on the staff. Art is taking a fall and his own actions made it easy for them. In my humble opinion they are the sorriest bunch of 2 face, low life, SOB's in college sports. In 2003 Dave Bliss disgraced them and a little over a decade later this !!! If there is any school in all of college sports that needs the death penalty as a reality check more then the f-ing Baptists in Waco I dont know who it would be. One additional thought, isn't it interesting that 3 of the 4 worst scandals in college sport history comes at the hands of the Baptists, and Methodists, and 2 at the same damn place.

People in the media applauding Bailer for doing the right thing is ridiculous to me. The missed the boat on doing the right thing long ago. They are just trying to save face in hopes that they can keep the football program alive. The move to only fire Briles shows they are still putting football first

And somehow these ****ers are going to come out of this in a better position than CU. And then I'm really gonna be pissed.

People in the media applauding Bailer for doing the right thing is ridiculous to me. The missed the boat on doing the right thing long ago. They are just trying to save face in hopes that they can keep the football program alive. The move to only fire Briles shows they are still putting football first

Yep. It's ridiculous. I mean, the assistant coaches that directly interfered with victims had their names hidden by not releasing the report in hopes that Baylor could keep the entire staff in place for the season and maybe be fine without the head coach. The interim HC is going to be Phil Bennett, the DC, who supposedly wasn't mentioned in the Pepper Hamilton report as directly involved. Baylor needs to release the full report with anything that identifies the victims redacted.

Deadspin's Diana Moskovitz keeps it real and rips Baylor for its handling of things yesterday and today. Refreshing to see someone in the media who isn't being a spineless press release regurgitator. So many are actually praising Baylor for "doing the right thing".

LINK

I do actually give the regents credit for firing Briles since I was definitely skeptical that would happen but that doesn't excuse the act itself or the admin from not going far enough, especially considering they are about to promote one of the parties involved to head coach.

Damn, I hate that I'm going to say this, but:

What would we have Baylor do differently? They know their football program is very important to them. They also know they screwed up and need to address their mistakes. They obviously want to throw some people under the bus while maintaining some continuity in the program. Can't really blame them for that. They're hoping by throwing Briles under the bus and releasing their entire 2016 class that they can "do the right thing" while maintaining their momentum. What happened there is disgusting, but I don't think we can expect them to commit athletic suicide to satisfy our thirst for blood.

What would we have Baylor do differently? They know their football program is very important to them. They also know they screwed up and need to address their mistakes. They obviously want to throw some people under the bus while maintaining some continuity in the program. Can't really blame them for that. They're hoping by throwing Briles under the bus and releasing their entire 2016 class that they can "do the right thing" while maintaining their momentum. What happened there is disgusting, but I don't think we can expect them to commit athletic suicide to satisfy our thirst for blood.
Just seems like firing a guy for covering up sexual assault allegations and promoting someone who did the exact same thing doesn't really make sense.

They could have out right fired Briles. They didn't. They put him on suspension with intent to fire. There is no guarantee it actually happens.

They could have fired Ken Starr. They didn't. They demoted him but allowed him to keep teaching students. In the law program no less.

1. Release the actual report to the media, not a watered down press release.
2. Tell us who they actually fired besides Briles.
3. Fire the AD, not just suspend him.
4. Fire any football staffer who was directly involved in pressuring witnesses, coaching players on testimony or - especially - the retaliation against the woman who actually went ahead with reporting sexual assault.
5. Give specifics on what new standards are to be put in place for vetting any transfer they accept.
6. Completely gut and replace the Title IX and Compliance personnel at Baylor.
7. Fire Ken Starr rather than reversing the vote after he allegedly threatened the board or regents after they initially decided to terminate him.

Is that suicide? Only if the majority of the coaching staff was found in their internal investigation to have broken federal law by interfering with a Title IX complaint. But they're going to keep them on the football staff to coach this season? You've got to be ****ing kidding me.

Last edited:
Yep. It's ridiculous. I mean, the assistant coaches that directly interfered with victims had their names hidden by not releasing the report in hopes that Baylor could keep the entire staff in place for the season and maybe be fine without the head coach. The interim HC is going to be Phil Bennett, the DC, who supposedly wasn't mentioned in the Pepper Hamilton report as directly involved. Baylor needs to release the full report with anything that identifies the victims redacted.

My guess is that, with coach shopping season over, they have to ride this out through the coming season with AB's staff. The game plan is probably to never remove the interim tag from Bennett, and hire a new HC come December, all the while hoping the BU FB players can avoid rapity rape rape raping for a few months to let things simmer down....

Who do they hire? Probably not Montgomery, who would be the logical choice. They are going to have to go away from the AB coaching tree. Sonny Dykes would be hilarious. They will probably hit up Tom Herman. It will be interesting to see.

I think they are trying to make it seem like they are dropping the hammer on the program, while really just doing damage control. As long as they don't go full CU and self-impose recruiting sanctions (which they won't), they will rid themselves of the AB staff after this season, hire someone like Sonny Dykes and make it seem like they have cleansed themselves from their wrongdoings... And they will be right back in the Big 12 competitive mix by 2018, maybe sooner if they keep their 2016 class in tact.

I agree with Schekler on this one. It probably sounds bad but if you are going to keep a majority of the people involved employed at the university and on the football staff, they didn't really have to fire Briles either.

One additional thought, isn't it interesting that 3 of the 4 worst scandals in college sport history comes at the hands of the Baptists, and Methodists, and 2 at the same damn place.
Dude, comparing what SMU did - paying players - is miles from covering up pedofilia, rape, and murder.

Or maybe you're referring g to some other Methodist school?

Back