1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big 12's Top Ten Backs. "Speedy" 8th

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Wise Old Man, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Wise Old Man

Wise Old Man Member

2. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

Eighth would be fine if we also had 12th and 15th. And a dominant o-line. And a semblance of dangerous passing game.

3. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

The irony to his nickname is that he is not very fast. His career long rush is 36 yards! Hansen has much fewer attempts, but even he busted a 31-yard jaunt.

Every time Speedy broke one and it looked like he had daylight (WV, Texas), he was quickly caught from behind.

4. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Yeah, he's nothing like that QB from Toledo. Now I wish I hadn't written that. I'm not normally negative like this.

EDIT: Speedy's amassed some nice yards. He's consistent and elusive...we don't need him to be fast, but just keep moving the pile in a positive direction. Now I feel better.

5. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

6. Wise Old Man

Wise Old Man Member

Since the recruiting rankings are being talked about again I thought I'd look these top 10 up. Their in order from 1-10.
    Stewart is the ONLY 2 star. Iowa State's Robinson is a 2* 3*. . .

Daniel Thomas - 4* rivals 3*scout K State (JC TRNSF)
    Demarco Murray 4*Rivals 5*scout Oklahoma
    Alexander Robinson 3*Rivals 2*scout Iowa State
    Roy Helu Jr 3*rivals 4* scout Nebraska
    Kendall Hunter 3*rivals 3* scout OK State
    Baron Batch 3* rivals 4*scout Tx Tech
    Christine Michael 5* rivals 5*scout TX AM
    Rodney Stewart 2*rivals 2*scout CU
    Derrick Washington 4*rivals 3*scout Mizzou
    Cyrus Gray 4*rivals 4*scout TX AM
    It's interesting.

7. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i'm contually amazed that UT can't find a blue chip RB to suit up for them. particularly with Grey and Michael at ATM, after the lackluster career of Michael Goodson.

8. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Speedy is more of a water bug than truly speedy. However, I think that has been his greatest asset. Our line has been atrocious at run blocking with Speedy routinely having to adjust before the line of scrimmage. Any yardage Speedy has gained has really been by himself.

If we could just learn to run block (and complementary passing game to keep defenses honest) then Speedy could be a nice complementary back to one of the other younger bruisers we brought in. However, this asking quite a bit from our coaching staff.

In summary, I think he may be an underrated back due to the fact he, so far, has had very poor run blocking in front of him.

9. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Speedy is really more quick, than anything else. He is very shifty and great at finding a crease or creating one by change of direction. He reminds me of Quentin Griffith. Both guys were very sifty, but not at all tall, which deprives them of breakaway speed, rendering (just for you Wally) them capacble of being run down from behind.

10. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to find out if Rodney actually runs the 4.4 listed on his recruiting info.

11. leftybuff

I don't know if he does or not, but most 4.4 guys really aren't. I never played in college, but I did play HS with several D1 guys. One was a legit 4.4 guy (actually timed in the 4.3 range electronically) and he had speed that was from another planet compared to the rest of the league. Legit 4.6 is fast. 4.5 is DB/WR fast, 4.4 or better is screamin' fast and not that common. A lot of 4.4 guys go to the combine and suddenly become 4.55, 4.6 guys.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  12. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

I think he is plenty fast although his best feature is his ability to change direction at full speed. One limitation is the lack of pass receptions. CU does not throw to the backs out of the backfield much under Hawkins.

13. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

He ran a 4.54 last Spring. That put him right with Jalil Brown and Ben Burney.

14. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Speedy is fast, his disadvantage is his short legs which makes taller guys with similar speed easy to chase him down. Longer legs=bigger strides. But its a damn laugh for those that say speedy isn't fast. what a crock of ****!

15. navybuff

navybuff Member

16. Wise Old Man

Wise Old Man Member

Scott ran a 4.49 on there... faster than speedy??.... That never showed up in games....

17. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Never showed up in games because he was seldom used and got hit behind the line of scrimmage every time. OL is as big a key to running game as the back. If Oline is materially better I expect big things out of Speedy.

18. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

He showed it a little in the Toledo game. Speedy's nickname should be shifty. He also has a quick burst. B-Lock and Hildreth are our real "speedy" backs.

19. leftybuff

Like when that Toledo LB ran him down from behind?

20. dply

There was that time. But come on it was Toledo. When I think of fast teams I think of #1 FSU #2 WVU and a close #3 Toledo. :smile2:

21. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Seriously...does this make sense?

22. dply

He didn't mention belly-buttons.

23. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Part of the issue is that Speedy struggles in pass protection, so he is not in the game on obvious passing downs where throwing to the RBs are a good option. Come to think of it, several of our RBs seem to struggle in pass protection.

24. leftybuff

Sumler is pretty good in pass...oh never mind...

25. Unleash Hell

As a runner myself, yes. I understand how these things work.

26. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Maybe you can explain it to me. If two people are going the same speed, how does one overtake the other?

27. Unleash Hell

Because the one with longer legs makes bigger strides. Get somebody like that with a slight angle and you will chase down someone of similar speed that doesn't have a long stride. Nevermind it's not worth it, just make fun of my claim, I've seenit done though.

28. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Well if two people are going the same speed it is obvious that the one with longer legs will quickly overpass the other.

Duh. ****ing idots around here.

29. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Seriously, I have permission? To me, if the guy with longer legs catches him, that guy is probably moving faster. If he has an angle, fine. But I don't think leg length is a factor there either. I'll remain confused on this for now.

30. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Think of it this way...

If two trains are going the same speed and are starting from points equidistant from a particular point, which one will get to the middle point first? The one painted red.

What's so hard to get, Wally?

dply likes this.