What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn officially confirms the facilities announcement is coming in September

1) Definitely more fund raising. Finalization of the big gift.
2) paperwork on bonds (AZ reported that the gift may "only" be 50 mil and the rest is other donations and bond financings)
3) Complete finalization of all architectural plans including needed certification and passage by all relevant governmental bodies.
4) Trustee approval so that there is NOTHING that can be done by anyone but get ready for the shovels.

Which I would take to mean that there is nothing certain about this happening ... even by September.

well, duh. Seems more likely than not though.

Which was more likely that not in February, then more likely than not in May, now more likely than not in September ...
I'm not liking this trend, especially when every other school in the Pac-12 has figured out a way to make at least an announcement.

Which was more likely that not in February, then more likely than not in May, now more likely than not in September ...
I'm not liking this trend, especially when every other school in the Pac-12 has figured out a way to make at least an announcement.

Seems more likely now than it was then. Every bit of evidence is good, so far. The wheels of buffalo bureaucracy turn slowly, but surely.

I'm confused (and not for the first time).
Are these the same facilities Class of 2012 recruits were told about?
The same facilities (to the NE of Folsom) we saw mockups for two months ago?
Wasn't the announcement supposed to come during spring ball? Then May? What changed the timetable?

If the reason for the delay is to have everything in order before announcing, what will take place between now - when it apparently isn't a certainty - and September to make it a reality?
The flipside to this question being: Then, if you are confident that you will have everthing lined up in September, why not announce it now??

What happened that made you so untrusting? Did somebody from the CUAD lie to you at an impressionable age and tell you something was about to pop?

a6934821-c2af-bbe1.jpg

What happened that made you so untrusting? Did somebody from the CUAD lie to you at an impressionable age and tell you something was about to pop?

Yes, Chuck Fairbanks told me that a winning record was "just around the corner" back in my impressionable undergrad days. I've been cynical ever since :shot:

If the reason for the delay is to have everything in order before announcing, what will take place between now - when it apparently isn't a certainty - and September to make it a reality?
The flipside to this question being: Then, if you are confident that you will have everthing lined up in September, why not announce it now??

The Cordillera transaction is expected to be completed during the second quarter, we have nothing until that money is in the bank.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/20...-in-bonds-to-back-cordillera-acquisition.html

Yes, Chuck Fairbanks told me that a winning record was "just around the corner" back in my impressionable undergrad days. I've been cynical ever since :shot:

Look at the bright side...CU's baseball team is undefeated since then.

If I learned one thing from CU, its that they are smarter than we are and they will tell us what we need to know and when we need to know it.

How the **** did CU ever let our football program get to the point where the turf in the practice bubble was beyond its recommended life and the scoreboards at Folsom were so far beyond their usable life that the manufacturer doesn't even exist any more?

When I think of all the "little things" that were wrong and had to be fixed (i.e., permanent lights for night football games, hiring a dedicated trainer for basketball, a practice court the basketball/volleyball programs could use, the aforementioned practice bubble turf, installing a new court for basketball/volleyball since the old one was so bad there were dead spots, re-forming the Buff Club booster organization, the aforementioned new scoreboards, scoreboards for basketball/volleyball, a new replacement for the Korean War era Folsom sound system, etc., etc., etc.)...

... all I can think is that those who were working in the AD or CU Administration or serving as a Regent for the decade before Bohn arrived and the first half of his tenure (making it so hard to get this stuff) SHOULD BE ****ING ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES.

How the **** did CU ever let our football program get to the point where the turf in the practice bubble was beyond its recommended life and the scoreboards at Folsom were so far beyond their usable life that the manufacturer doesn't even exist any more?

When I think of all the "little things" that were wrong and had to be fixed (i.e., permanent lights for night football games, hiring a dedicated trainer for basketball, a practice court the basketball/volleyball programs could use, the aforementioned practice bubble turf, installing a new court for basketball/volleyball since the old one was so bad there were dead spots, re-forming the Buff Club booster organization, the aforementioned new scoreboards, scoreboards for basketball/volleyball, a new replacement for the Korean War era Folsom sound system, etc., etc., etc.)...

... all I can think is that those who were working in the AD or CU Administration or serving as a Regent for the decade before Bohn arrived and the first half of his tenure (making it so hard to get this stuff) SHOULD BE ****ING ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES.

Ummm. CU Med Center was the school's priority during the last decade.

A winning CUAD was a "nice to have", not a "have to have".

My .02 worth, which is worth exactly .02:

I think the "anticipated" announcement times (February, Spring Game, May) were more speculation and hope from the fans rather than anything directly from the AD. As far as I've seen, Mike has never publically said anything other than "soon" when asked about an announcement on facilities. We fans all want this to be done yesterday, and are not very patient when it comes to this sort of thing.

My guess is that he wants to be able to present a total and complete picture of what will happen and when. In order to do that, he first needs the financing in place. The Apache/Corillera deal is scheduled to be finalized at the end of the month. After that happens, he will need to set up the mechanics of the donation(s) and make sure that the donor(s) are all on board and happy with the arrangements. Then there is the matter of phasing - figuring out how and when to start/build/complete each segment of the project(s). It sure sounds like he would also like all of the permits and authorizations to be in place before going public. Architectural and Engineering drawings for this scale of a project take a looooong time to complete. I think that September will bring a grand announcement, in which he will be able to lay out every detail, and provide a legitimate timeline for completion.

Would we all prefer an announcement sooner? Sure. But if the Pac-12 move showed anything, it was that Mike can complete the deal in the background, and only go public with it when there is no turning back. I, for one, am positive that the wait will be well worth it.

Last edited:
the CUAD has been "self-funding" since way before self-funding became cool.

that's how this happens.

look at cal, which is a fine school, and that fields a ton of different teams. their ad is just now in the process of becoming fully "self-funding." the short term result was a potential bloodbath in sports cut, although their alumni did a great job stepping up to save baseball and other sports.

when you have a bb team that has never even sniffed success for decade after decade, and you add in an ill-timed facilities upgrade, and your ad is managed by guys who view it as more a ceremonial job than actually work, and you've got a neutral to hostile faculty, and you add in a gi-normous scandal that causes your SINGLE revenue generating sport to crater, then you get to where we were.

we're just now crawling our way out of this mess-- bohn has done a great job.

Well, for all my bellyaching, I will eat a plate of crow now and issue a well done to Mike Bohn and staff in advance and in expectation for what looks like a substantial upgrade. Hats off to the AD and staff...you are forgiven for keeping D II an extra year. Almost.

I understand Montana's trepidation. Nothing is final at CU until everyone comes out of the woodwork and voices their opinion and gets their piece of the pie. What is positive about this whole situation is that Bohn clearly has learned this lesson in his time at CU and appears to be doing his best to mitigate.

It seems more likely than ever that CU will be able to get back to competitive in the facilities race, but like Montana, I'll believe it when it is final.

To Nik's point. The facilities in Boulder have been ignored for a very long time. If/when these planned massive upgrades happen, we may only have a small window for success. It may be difficult at CU to make the ongoing capital improvements necessary to stay competitive even after we make this massive investment to get back to the base level. When Dal Ward was built it was one of the best, but we really haven't done much since. Coincidence or not the program reached its zenith when Dal Ward was newish and both Dal Ward and CU football have gone down hill since.

Just my opinion, but outside of Cal none of the other Pac-12 schools have to deal with a faculty/community with components that are half as hostile as certain CU Faculty/Boulder citizens. By making sure the plans are ready to break ground immediately after the announcement, it leaves no room for organization of an anti-expansion task force, and fewer leverage points for such a task force.

If Bohn were to announce now, then he'd get a bunch of crap from Faculty about funds allocation (even though the AD is self funded), a bunch of protests by environmental activists during the permit process, etc. All of which are negative publicity. By keeping things secret, none of these leverage points exist.

the CUAD has been "self-funding" since way before self-funding became cool.

that's how this happens.

look at cal, which is a fine school, and that fields a ton of different teams. their ad is just now in the process of becoming fully "self-funding." the short term result was a potential bloodbath in sports cut, although their alumni did a great job stepping up to save baseball and other sports.

when you have a bb team that has never even sniffed success for decade after decade, and you add in an ill-timed facilities upgrade, and your ad is managed by guys who view it as more a ceremonial job than actually work, and you've got a neutral to hostile faculty, and you add in a gi-normous scandal that causes your SINGLE revenue generating sport to crater, then you get to where we were.

we're just now crawling our way out of this mess-- bohn has done a great job.

The fans should also be recognized for being:
A) patiently waiting for a university with a winning football team since 2001 while Okie Lite, Baylor, Texas Tech, Missouri and to a lesser degree Iowa State and the Kansas schools spent on facilities and left CU in the dust.
B) impatience by not liking Bohn's last homerun coach and showing concern that CU doesn't become a have not in the Pac12 facilities arms race
C) supportive for keeping the bleachers of Folsom more full than empty during a decade of poor football.
D) not supportive enough because there is no Phil Knight or Boone Pickens making the success of CU football a priority.

Thanks - hope it all comes true. CU is such a beautiful campus. Best campus in the USA, and great architecture - love the red sandstone.

we are supposed to call it flagstone around here or they stop making Dale's Pale Ale.

Just my opinion, but outside of Cal none of the other Pac-12 schools have to deal with a faculty/community with components that are half as hostile as certain CU Faculty/Boulder citizens. By making sure the plans are ready to break ground immediately after the announcement, it leaves no room for organization of an anti-expansion task force, and fewer leverage points for such a task force.

If Bohn were to announce now, then he'd get a bunch of crap from Faculty about funds allocation (even though the AD is self funded), a bunch of protests by environmental activists during the permit process, etc. All of which are negative publicity. By keeping things secret, none of these leverage points exist.

Just to play devils advocate, the opposition is prone to play the "transparency" card. While the CUAD is self funding, that doesn't mean they are exempt from sunshine laws.

If the opponents think CU is acting in bad faith by being less than transparent, it might undermine any trust and goodwill between the CUAD and the broader academic and Boulder communities.

That said...as a CU fan, I want Mike to succeed and hope that he's not giving opponents any reason to stand in the way of a prompt return to glory.

Back