What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Boycott the Denver Post

If you buy any of the following papers you are supporting the same company;

CO Denver Daily Denver Post
CO Denver Daily Viva Colorado
CO Boulder Daily Boulder Daily Camera
CO Boulder Daily Colorado Daily

CO Canon City Daily Daily Record
CO Ft. Morgan Daily The Fort Morgan Times
CO Longmont Daily Longmont Times-Call
CO Loveland Daily Loveland Reporter-Herald

CO Sterling Daily Sterling Journal-Advocate

http://www.digitalfirstmedia.com/products/

I did not take offense at the article. People are going to speculate over what happened - they do every time something like this occurs. I did not see anything vile or dismissive...I took his final line as saying don't speculate - he was tired and now is time to let him be in peace. Others can take it another way.

I wonder about the price these young men pay to play this sport and to entertain us. At least 3 Buffs have died way too young in the past several years (Ryan Johnningmeir, 38, Tennyson McCarty, 32, and now Rashaam Salaam, 42). I am sure we have all been touched by similar tragedies and those of us left behind have to wonder why and what could of we done to make a different outcome.

I've unfollowed both the Denver Post AND 9News on social media for some time now....sounds like it remains a wise decision.

I did not take offense at the article. People are going to speculate over what happened - they do every time something like this occurs. I did not see anything vile or dismissive...I took his final line as saying don't speculate - he was tired and now is time to let him be in peace. Others can take it another way.

I wonder about the price these young men pay to play this sport and to entertain us. At least 3 Buffs have died way too young in the past several years (Ryan Johnningmeir, 38, Tennyson McCarty, 32, and now Rashaam Salaam, 42). I am sure we have all been touched by similar tragedies and those of us left behind have to wonder why and what could of we done to make a different outcome.
Schlereth spent a bit of time speculating on what he thought was behind Rashaan's suicide. It was well thought out and logical. He may have been correct. He may have been off base. That's what people, especially media people, do after these things. We all do. The first question on anyone's mind, or one of the first questions is "why on earth did he do that?" Writers take that question and try to answer it. What is so wrong with that?

Schlereth spent a bit of time speculating on what he thought was behind Rashaan's suicide. It was well thought out and logical. He may have been correct. He may have been off base. That's what people, especially media people, do after these things. We all do. The first question on anyone's mind, or one of the first questions is "why on earth did he do that?" Writers take that question and try to answer it. What is so wrong with that?

What is wrong with speaking from authority when you have none? What is wrong with making your voice heard on a subject you don't know anything about? I guess "nothing" if you value wasting your time paying attention to people who are filling print inches or air time with white noise and if you have no problem with their podium meaning that their ignorant takes can drive a dialogue in a direction that doesn't fit the facts or is completely insensitive to those who are truly grieving.

What is wrong with speaking from authority when you have none? What is wrong with making your voice heard on a subject you don't know anything about? I guess "nothing" if you value wasting your time paying attention to people who are filling print inches or air time with white noise and if you have no problem with their podium meaning that their ignorant takes can drive a dialogue in a direction that doesn't fit the facts or is completely insensitive to those who are truly grieving.
Well, I read it and am not seeing what you are. As a matter of fact, it was really good to see some well spoken quotes from John Hessler who has gone through his own personal hell.

Well, I read it and am not seeing what you are. As a matter of fact, it was really good to see some well spoken quotes from John Hessler who has gone through his own personal hell.

I have no problem at all with the quotes from Hessler.

This is an Internet message board and people on here spend a lot of time making their voices heard and speaking with authority. And a lot of us waste our time reading it (like me right now). I guess some of you read way more into the article then I did.

This is an Internet message board and people on here spend a lot of time making their voices heard and speaking with authority. And a lot of us waste our time reading it (like me right now). I guess some of you read way more into the article then I did.

I have a different standard for a message board post than a do for a column written in the state's flagship newspaper. Clearly, some don't.

Big difference based on how it is presented. Based on his history Kizla does it to sensationalize, he's looking to create speculation, to emphasize the negative. Kizla has never let decency get in the way of a story. He has often stretched the truth or implied things just vaguely enough to deny them later that hurt individuals. I still remember him getting caught digging in Dante Bischett's (sp) personal items in the Rockies locker room when he thought he was alone there. He simply cannot be trusted, except to trust him to do the wrong thing.

If somebody like Woody Paige had done it the tenor of the column would be different. Woody has a long history of inciting people emotionally but he doesn't attack individuals at moments of weakness. He will happily take advantage of peoples group sensibilities like when half of Nebraska wanted to kill him but unlike Kizla has frequently shown a human side with compassion such as when he has written on mental health issues or when he was moved enough by seeing elderly people alone on the holidays to start the basket of love program which still continues to this day.

If it makes you feel better, I don't watch Fox News, either.

No, it doesn't. One of the things most important to the founding fathers was the establishment and protection of a free press and we are pissing away that luxury, unknown in many parts of the world, due to disinterest, cat videos and laziness. I remain appalled that you would rather have NO daily newspaper than the Denver Post.

No, it doesn't. One of the things most important to the founding fathers was the establishment and protection of a free press and we are pissing away that luxury, unknown in many parts of the world, due to disinterest, cat videos and laziness. I remain appalled that you would rather have NO daily newspaper than the Denver Post.
giphy.gif

If you buy any of the following papers you are supporting the same company;

CO Denver Daily Denver Post
CO Denver Daily Viva Colorado
CO Boulder Daily Boulder Daily Camera
CO Boulder Daily Colorado Daily

CO Canon City Daily Daily Record
CO Ft. Morgan Daily The Fort Morgan Times
CO Longmont Daily Longmont Times-Call
CO Loveland Daily Loveland Reporter-Herald

CO Sterling Daily Sterling Journal-Advocate

http://www.digitalfirstmedia.com/products/
That tears it, I am cancelling my sub to Denver Daily Viva Colorado...

The Denver Post is not long for this world, and a couple of annoyed Buff fans won't be the reason. That paper has been struggling for years, and their hemorrhaging of quality writers has not helped their situation. They descended into sensationalism long ago as an attempt to retain readership, but it didn't work.

Luckily, there is a glut of ways to be informed these days without relying on newsprint. If you're not "lazy", that is.

In 2004 or so, a good friend of mine and CU graduate was trying to relocate from the Bay Area where he worked at Yahoo to Denver. He approached the Post and talked to them about all the things he could do to beef up their online presence and attract followers. There was enough interest that they did 3-4 meetings with different groups.

Ultimately, he was told the Post wasn't ready for a skillset like his and they felt his pure web focus would be more of a disruption than helpful.

That was all I needed to know to confirm the Post (and virtually all traditional media) would be nearly dead within a decade.

Last edited:
In 2004 or so, a good friend of mine and CU graduate was trying to relocate from the Bay Area where he worked at Yahoo to Denver. He approached the Post and talked to them about all the things he could do to beef up their online presence and attract followers. There was enough interest that they did 3-4 meetings with different groups.

Ultimately, he was told the Post was ready for a skillset like his and they felt his pure web focus would be more of a disruption than helpful.

That was all I needed to know to confirm the Post (and virtually all traditional media) would be nearly dead within a decade.

I knew it was over when Craig's List took away their classified business and real estate websites made those advertising sections obsolete.

Ultimately, he was told the Post was ready for a skillset like his and they felt his pure web focus would be more of a disruption than helpful.

#fakenews!

Why is CTE speculation inappropriate? It has been a factor in multiple suicides of former football players.
in general, I think it's in poor taste to speculate why some one did something like kill themselves, especially on a public message board in a thread commemorating their contributions, especially when the suicide hadn't been confirmed. even more especially where the preponderance of posts are fans lamenting the loss and reflecting on the contributions the player made to the team and the community.

in this specific case of contrasting those posts with the content of the DP article, (1) there was far less speculation in the article than there was here on Allbuffs (2) I didn't read anything in the article which came across to me as either inappropriate or insensitive, with the possible exception of the headline, which I think was more odd than inappropriate (3) the chief complaint with the article from Allbuffers was that Kizla seemed to be concluding suicide before it was official, and that was no different than what Allbuffers were posted (no question, the standard for journalists should be higher than random message board posters, but I don't understand how one can rationalize that it's acceptable for them to speculate the death was a suicide but not for Kizla to do so).

However, since we're speculating, from national sports news in the 1990's and google searching the last few days, i didn't find much info suggesting that RS had suffered concussions as a player. Does anyone have historical information on this that would lead to the CTE speculation?

Last, three notes of context:
1. I've been a Buff fan for only 3 years, which means I don't have the same emotional perspective on RS's loss as many here
2. I haven't developed the same preconceived expectations around Mr. Kizla's journalism
3. I believe the recent trend of elevated concern over concussions resulting from football has the potential to destroy the sport I love. If I'm being 100% honest, I'm not above taking steps to quiet that discussion, even if I believe the concerns are valid at a logical level.

Papers have been dead for a while now. They just don't know it, aside from the sports page, there is almost no locally produced content, they just regurgitate the wire services.

Now people read faux news.

We have the power to get jizzela fired. Mtn, do your thing and type up a medium sized, strongly worded post, to the post.

Gee, I guess we have to boycott the Camera now too ... because this article does plenty of speculating:

http://www.buffzone.com/cu-news/ci_30640639/friend-cu-buffs-star-rashaan-salaam-was-pro

Like someone posted, this is what ALWAYS happens when a famous person commits suicide. The media looks for answers, sometimes where concrete ones will never exist. I didn't see this article or Kiszla's as sensationalizing his death. Just searching for answers, which many Buff fans want. It would be very odd to just see obits/tributes, without people trying to figure out what happened, maybe even a little prematurely. Hell, even my wife, who's no football fan at all and doesn't know who Rashaan was, immediately said "wonder if it was CTE?"

I thought that Mitchell Byers handled the subject matter professionally.

I have a different standard for a message board post than a do for a column written in the state's flagship newspaper. Clearly, some don't.
I get your point here completely but put your expectations in the context of a dying industry. The good writers have moved on to something more productive and new and upcoming talent isn't looking to newspapers to begin with. Your expectations will need to drift down as readership continues to

Back