1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buffaloed...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by 89BUFF89, Apr 13, 2015.

1. 89BUFF89

89BUFF89 Well-Known Member

Always wanted to read it so bought it used off Amazon. About half way thru. Amazing how the CU leadership allowed us to get dragged thru the mud and no wonder we ended up where we did. Kind of eerie there was even a reference to Chris Copeland (when we got shot the first time).

2. WizzersGhost

WizzersGhost Banned BANNED

Started with Dick Tharp's complete and total lack of leadership, which was very odd for a former trial attorney. He should have known the impact of PR; heck, trial lawyers get CLE credits for classes in handling PR in those circumstances.

The first words he should have said to GB and his bosses, were, "Keep your mouths shut! 'No comment' works jes' fine! I'm bringing professional PR types to help and act as spokespersons."

And as former University counsel, he had the background, experience and respect...or should have had... to do it.

Why he was a complete no-show remains a total mystery to us all.

3. Bufffan68

Bufffan68 Club Member Club Member

May have to pick that up. I don't know much about the 'scandal'...just know prior admin neglect of the program and the 'scandal' killed football for a decade. It'd be interesting to see how much it cost the school. Maybe they can sue these asshats for economic loss...lol...

4. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

We literally gave ourselves the death penalty.
    Impressive, even for the stoners of the nation.

5. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

Literally

6. SD Buff

SD Buff Club Member Club Member

Tharp ran the AD like his little fiefdom totally separate from the University. Old boys club.

from phone

7. buffwoman526

buffwoman526 Club Member Club Member

I loaned my copy out a few years ago to a fellow CU fan.

I have already forgotten a lot of it - probably because sometimes it is just better to forget.

I'll never forget how spitting mad my stepdad (OU fan) was after reading it one Christmas.

8. 89BUFF89

Hoffman let Lacy and company bully her and they did no PR of their own to get the 'truth' out because it wasn't PC to question rape charges.

9. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Still get nauseous thinking about Byyny and Hoffman announcing the ludicrous changes to recruiting - ****ing morons

10. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

I'm gonna see if our library has it, haven't read that one. I read McCartney's book, the name escapes me.

11. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

The book was poorly edited. This was because the Prosecution threatened a ****ing lawsuit against the company that was going to publish the book, and Plaskett couldn't get anyone else to publish it. He eventually had to do it on his own. To this day I still have trouble watching the local news outside of the weather, and if it wasn't for Dempsey and Hochman I wouldn't read the Post at all. I think Woelk was the only columnist I didn't lose respect for.

12. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

fify ... and some elaboration added.

13. 89BUFF89

Interestingly BG Brooks isn't shown in a fine light and of course he now works for the AD.

14. BUffphan

BUffphan Member

Just bought the book on Amazon. Thanks for the reminder.

15. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

The book has been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years. I want to read it, but I know it's going to royally piss me off.

16. silver&gold

silver&gold Member

Do it. When huckster fan brings it up you can shove it in its face :)

17. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

That piece of **** hypocrite Reilly couldn't police his own basement.

18. PAHIBuff

PAHIBuff Club Member Club Member

Some of the respect and affection I had for the school hasn't come back.

19. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

What that whole incident did to our football program is bad enough. What really pisses me off though is that the administration let a bunch of completely innocent and very good young men get smeared with the image that they were a bunch of rapist and abusers.

I wish that somehow the administration individually could have had their bank accounts sued off along with Keenan and her band of monsters for what they did to those guys. What should have been one of the best times of their lives turned into a nightmare and a stain on their reputation.

Inexcusable.

20. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I remember reading my copy of Buffaloed. It made me so very angry and sad at the same time.

21. BuffLuKe

Try to find it tomorrow. Haven't read it yet.

22. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Many, many thanks also to Dick Tharp and Gary Barnett, both of whom, IMO, contributed greatly to the entire circus!

IMHO, Tharp as AD and former lawyer for CU coulda stopped the whole show in its tracks in a couple of hours. Instead, he literally DISAPPEARED!!!!!

Two words would have saved GB's a*s : "NO. COMMENT." :bang:

23. jcatcher

jcatcher Club Member Club Member

I have a copy if someone would like to borrow it. Just as long as you send it back to me in the same condition (no dog-eared pages!) I live around Boulder or can mail it to you. PM me.

24. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

GB got hung out to dry. They knew that PR wasn't his strong suite yet the adminstration including Tharp cowerred in the corner trying to let Gary take the brunt of the impact which he did.

You comment about Tharp is correct. He could have and should have shut the whole think down in it's tracks. If he wasn't capable then he had access to the people and resources who could have.

25. BuffLuKe

I looked at our little library yesterday and no dice. Farmington probably has it but I might be interested. Bruce Plaskett, is he involved in the book? The librarian mentioned that name if I got it right, I looked everywhere in there. Anyway, ill let u know and we'll talk. I shelve every book I buy or check out so no worries about a dog ****ing it up. He would if I left it out, especially if he thinks I'm not paying attention to him lol.

26. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Hit up jcatcher, but you best not fold those pages.

27. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Dude you are the best. And **** those book destroying dogs

28. jcatcher

jcatcher Club Member Club Member

I'm in the book business, so I take my books seriously. I was President of my Library Board for seven years. I also have a pretty extensive personal collection of sports books.

I just checked WorldCat, and it's hardly in any libraries. Not surprising since it was self-published. Lafayette (CO) has one, so does the main Denver PL, and the Lakewood Jeffco library. There's one in St. Charles, MO, and at the Liberty University Law Library in VA (?).

Yeah, dog-eared means the folding down of corners of pages to mark your place instead of using a bookmark.

P.S. If you ask nicely, your local library will get it for you through the inter-library loan program.

P.S.S. Plaskett is the author. He worked for the Longmont Times-Call at the time and covered the Buffs.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  29. BuffLuKe

Bro I know what it means, I mean our lab will literally eat it, he's an asshat. Great dog but damn, he's just like having another kid I swear lol.

30. PhoenixBuff

PhoenixBuff New Member

The book is also available for purchase on Amazon as we speak. $4.28 new and used.