What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Butch Jones Decision Day Thread

I don't think Jones gets on the plane to come here if he was just looking for a raise. He was looking for the next step up in terms of conferences and perhaps finding his "last stop".

Boulder/Denver has a lot to offer, compared to West Lafayette.

Purdue has some advantages as well being it is a private University, surrounded by his traditional recruiting base, and it's a great place to raise kids and get an education. But it's in Indiana.

If the wife has a say, it will come down to her views of living in a small University town in middle America surrounded by Corn Farmers, or raising your kids in a vibrant college town like Boulder, on the edge of the vast Rocky Mountains. Depends on what you value......

I just don't think Cincy was ever what he was looking for and if he was going to stay there, he had the leverage to get this better offer without visiting CU.

I have faith, I think he comes here. We should be very happy with him. As long as the admin stays committed to the program and upgrades I think the future looks bright.

I think conference realignment is a big issue for Jones. The Big East is collapsing while the PAC 12 is very stable with further expansion talk rebuffed by Scott. Plus Cincy simply doesn't have resources to pull off major facility upgrades.

I think it is too and for good reason because with the conference realignments in an ongoing state, we're looking at the likely possibility of the have's and the have-not's in the FBS division, with CU clearly having secured their place while Cincy is looking at the real possibility of being left out of the tier I group.

No matter what, I am going to have faith that it will work out for the best. The reason for that faith is that it appears that CU has decided to step up to the plate for the program.

Re: Jones Decision Day Thread

I have a good feeling on this one. The wife looked at schools for the kids.. :)

I have faith, I think he comes here. We should be very happy with him. As long as the admin stays committed to the program and upgrades I think the future looks bright.

I agree. Possibly the best thing to come out of all of this is that CU has turned the corner and is behaving like we belong in a major conference. Well paid coaches, committment to facilities, there will be no turning back whether Jones accepts or not.

I don't think Jones gets on the plane to come here if he was just looking for a raise. He was looking for the next step up in terms of conferences and perhaps finding his "last stop".

Purdue has some advantages as well being it is a private University, surrounded by his traditional recruiting base, and it's a great place to raise kids and get an education. But it's in Indiana.

If the wife has a say, it will come down to her views of living in a small University town in middle America surrounded by Corn Farmers, or raising your kids in a vibrant college town like Boulder, on the edge of the vast Rocky Mountains. Depends on what you value......

I just don't think Cincy was ever what he was looking for and if he was going to stay there, he had the leverage to get this better offer without visiting CU.

Buffaholic makes a great point. If leverage was his goal he would never have gone to Boulder.

I think you could easily make the case that if he were looking for leverage, getting on a plane is exactly the way to maximize that leverage. Not saying that's what he was doing - but I don't really agree with your logic here.

Cincinnati isn't a bad place. Jones is from the midwest. However, Boulder is BEAUTIFUL and why anyone wouldn't want to live in Colorado is beyond me. I live in Ohio, my husband is a born Ohioan and works in Cincinnati, and we would move to Boulder/Colorado in a heartbeat. Hopefully Boulder wowed them like it did my husband the first time I took him there!

Jones Decision Day Thread

If I were Vegas, as of 8:14 am (Mountain Time), the line would be Cincy (-4.5).

Cincinnati President just posted this on FB

Santa Ono's Facebook status says, "dear bearcat nation. Wish me luck today. I promise to give it my all today."

staying in cinci is his "safe" pick...but as far as future relevance is concerned ..cinci might end up in a non-bcs conf

Cincinnati isn't a bad place. Jones is from the midwest. However, Boulder is BEAUTIFUL and why anyone wouldn't want to live in Colorado is beyond me. I live in Ohio, my husband is a born Ohioan and works in Cincinnati, and we would move to Boulder/Colorado in a heartbeat. Hopefully Boulder wowed them like it did my husband the first time I took him there!
I've only flown through, but Cincy looks nice from the air. But, man, I'd bet it is oppressive in the summer. I hate humidity.

I think the tough part is looking your current players in the eyes and telling them that they committed to you, but you are no longer committed to them.

But players commit to schools as much as they do a coach. They know this is a possiblity, and that coaches need to pursue their careers as well.

Once Coach Jones reconciles that reality, I think CU will look very attractive (again).

Fingers crossed.

I think conference realignment is a big issue for Jones. The Big East is collapsing while the PAC 12 is very stable with further expansion talk rebuffed by Scott. Plus Cincy simply doesn't have resources to pull off major facility upgrades.
+1

Jones Decision Day Thread

There are plenty of reasons for Jones to stay in Cincinnati. For one thing, he knows all of the players there. He also has familiarity with the recruiting area there. His players know his schemes. His coaches know their roles. He is familiar with the opponents he plays every year.

Colorado is entirely foreign. He doesn't know any of the players. He doesn't know any of the recruiting grounds. He knows nothing about the opponents. Chances are he will have to hire new coaches.

While Boulder is beautiful and the pac 12 conference brings a good deal of advantages, there is still a tremendous amount of unknown for Jones to make a move to Colorado.

Wrong, bucko!

Purdue is a public, land grant university. Think Mines and CSU combined, only with really ugly Midwest farmers' daughters in the E-school and elsewhere.

I think they are out of the running. Fours hours on campus is a huge sign.

Indiana is a nice state with nice people. I'm not a fan of West Lafayette aesthetically, Boulder is much more scenic. But I find the people in Indiana are more patient when it comes to sports results and frankly nicer than Colorado. And it's only an hour away from Indianapolis which has just about everything Denver does, except Red Rocks (I miss that place). But not everyone is going to go skiing, or place as much value on the mountains as others. Also recruiting areas of Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Ohio are closer than we are to Texas and Cali. Means being closer to friends and family. Purdue's program is also in a better state than we are.

What CU has going for it is: it is in a stable conference with good solid revenue coming in and it has a higher ceiling than Purdue. Purdue will never be a better program than OSU, Mich, Penn and Neb. Simple don't have the size, money, or commitment. When we are restored we can compete with USC and maybe Oregon. Although matching Oregon's revenue would be very tough.

Colorado is entirely foreign. He doesn't know any of the players.
That part is not entirely true. He apparently was the first to offer Dillon. While that might not sound like much I think it kind of is. Dillon has 4 years of eligibility. If he really liked Dillon for his offense he probably likes the idea of having him for 4 years. I highly doubt that has any major impact on his decision but it might help a little.

Back