What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Calling for coaches to be fired

I've personally been calling for a change at Bernardi's spot since his second game. Jeffcoat for two years. College football is about recruiting and X's and O's. They don't drive results in either box.

I guess I haven't seen too many call for firings. Just some questioning certain coaches. I assume it's okay to question to coaching performances, especially on a fan site like this.

Reality is, our offense is not close to living up to expectations (set by the coaches in interviews). I think it's fair to question coaching at this point (and recruiting). Defense has done reasonably well and probably better than expectations, but there is still plenty of room for improvement.

It's on the coaches to teach them how to execute and prevent those things. You can't give someone a pass on one part of his job because they're not doing a good enough job at the other.
This is the biggest cop out for the players. At this level, WRs are expected to be able to catch the ball, RBs are expected to hold onto the ball, QBs are expected to be able to throw the ball with some semblance of accuracy, etc etc. At some point, players have the make the plays.

Only reason we lose BL is because he gets offered a better job. If you can't get your heart around that, change your handle to DrunkBienemy and start watching games with DP.

What evidence does anyone have that shows Chev is anything but a project at OC? We saw what that looked like when your moniker was one. No thanks.

Bienemy was a terrible OC, but is considered one of the absolute best RB coaches. Sometime you have to stay in your lane. My Moniker is because I was in the stands on that cold ass night in Lincoln when EB fumbled the ball 4 times and then ran in 4 TD's to beat the Fuskers. Greatest moment thus far in my life as a Buff fan. Despite almost losing my toes to frostbite.

Frank Solich was a great RB coach and mediocre head coach. There are examples of that everywhere. Coach Chiv has all the signs of an up and coming star and I would be more than happy to see how he does by himself calling plays. From my understanding, Lindgren recruits ONLY Quarterbacks, specifically 1 per year and then somehow gets a pass on any more recruiting, while Chiv is already at 8 recruits this year and will likely help wrap up the rest of the class. That is head coaching like skills on recruiting and closing. The players love him, and he has good experiences with other coaches and systems, including the Texas Tech system which is part of the basis for the current spread systems. The offense we are running is a hodge podge of high school crap and then some nice concepts, but not enough. The first drive against Washington was Lindgrens best plays on the left side of play calling sheet, and they drove it down and scored and looked unstoppable. But, that was him blowing his wad and he had no more answers and could not out think the Washington adjustments. Coach Peterson is obviously ten times smarter than Lindgren and they made every adjustment to counter our game plan and the rest is history.

I rewatched every game last year and it became incredibly apparent that he is just not quite yet up to this level of play design and play calling. He needed to stay at the San Jose State level for a few more years. Sorry, that is how I see it.

This is the biggest cop out for the players. At this level, WRs are expected to be able to catch the ball, RBs are expected to hold onto the ball, QBs are expected to be able to throw the ball with some semblance of accuracy, etc etc. At some point, players have the make the plays.
Sounds like a cop out for the coaches to me. They recruited them, they coached them, everything they do falls on them. If the player isn't getting it done, find someone else who will.

Sounds like a cop out for the coaches to me. They recruited them, they coached them, everything they do falls on them. If the player isn't getting it done, find someone else who will.
I agree with you on the recruiting part; that's 100% on them, but I'm trying to look past that as an excuse at this point. A well designed play that gets Shay Fields wide open for a would-be 1st down, that is flat out dropped by him is not a coaching issue. Neither is a wide open Devin Ross down the sideline and a QB who sails it high.

I agree with you on the recruiting part; that's 100% on them, but I'm trying to look past that as an excuse at this point. A well designed play that gets Shay Fields wide open for a would-be 1st down, that is flat out dropped by him is not a coaching issue. Neither is a wide open Devin Ross down the sideline and a QB who sails it high.
I think you have to look at situations like that and ask whether they're isolated incidents, especially in regards to what we've seen the past few years. The dropped pass, sure, that's just an uncharacteristic mistake, and one that's on Shay and he knows it. But can you still say that about the QB play? I'm not so confident Montez won't do the same things the next week, how long before that's not on him? Some people seemed to go 4 years blaming Sefo for what he couldn't do, so maybe I shouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited:
Teams now have quite a bit of film on Montez....appears they have figured out how to confuse him....take away what he does best....and our WRs aren't exactly lighting it up in getting separation. Will be an interesting week to see how the coaches make changes....concerning how we were in both games at half time against UW....and in both cases...they made adjustments....and the Buffs responded with mistake prone football. Our last three games against FBS opponents have been...well....ass whoopings. Does three make a pattern? I guess we will find out this week.

I'm no offensive genius, but what I don't understand is why we don't feature our #3 and #4 receivers more heavily in this offense. I mean, our receiver corp is not good because any of them are amazing receivers. They are good because pretty much all of them would be a starting #2 receiver on most teams. We have like 4 legit #2 receivers in our starting lineup. Which means a good offensive coordinator should be able to create matchup nightmares for the opposing defensive coordinator all day. I mean, I HAVE to believe Juwann Winfree or Devin Ross can beat the other team's #3 cornerback or one of their linebackers in coverage on a pretty regular basis.

So why the hell do we NEVER try to exploit that kind of matchup with our offense? Stop looking at Shay Fields or Bryce Bobo as the #1 target every single play, start looking at our #3 or #4 receivers as the primary target on some plays to change it up, Lindgren. God damnit, that is pretty ****ing basic strategy....

unlike most conference opponents, i think we can beat the bruins d heads-up. i'd run the ball right at them. and, i'd run a lot seam, slant, and screen. we have fast wideouts. we have a good relentless feature back. the bigger concern this weekend, i think, is the bad guys getting over the top with their damned elite qb and friends.

I'm no offensive genius, but what I don't understand is why we don't feature our #3 and #4 receivers more heavily in this offense. I mean, our receiver corp is not good because any of them are amazing receivers. They are good because pretty much all of them would be a starting #2 receiver on most teams. We have like 4 legit #2 receivers in our starting lineup. Which means a good offensive coordinator should be able to create matchup nightmares for the opposing defensive coordinator all day. I mean, I HAVE to believe Juwann Winfree or Devin Ross can beat the other team's #3 cornerback or one of their linebackers in coverage on a pretty regular basis.

So why the hell do we NEVER try to exploit that kind of matchup with our offense? Stop looking at Shay Fields or Bryce Bobo as the #1 target every single play, start looking at our #3 or #4 receivers as the primary target on some plays to change it up, Lindgren. God damnit, that is pretty ****ing basic strategy....
So...Fire Chev?

unlike most conference opponents, i think we can beat the bruins d heads-up. i'd run the ball right at them. and, i'd run a lot seam, slant, and screen. we have fast wideouts. we have a good relentless feature back. the bigger concern this weekend, i think, is the bad guys getting over the top with their damned elite qb and friends.
Yep. Neutralize their pass rush. Don't give them extra possessions via turnover. And make sure their offense stays one dimensional with Rosen throwing the ball 50-60 times.

Fields: 24 catches, 293 yards
Bobo: 23 catches, 230 yards
Ross: 18 catches, 272 yards
Winfree/MacIntyre: 17 catches, 162 yards

I expect to see more usage out of Winfree in the slot the rest of the way. JMac will have his role, but think they realized they need to get the best 4 guys on the field.

Then in the running game we've got Lindsay with 90 carries for 446 yards.

Productivity in terms of being able to gain yards is not the problem with our offense through 4 games. The problem is a lot of correctible mistakes (drops, INTs, penalties, missed assignments) that have prevented this production from turning into the number of points it should be generating.

I expect to see more usage out of Winfree in the slot the rest of the way. JMac will have his role, but think they realized they need to get the best 4 guys on the field.

More pointing out we all we use all options a quite a bit. Drunk Panda is convinced Ross and others never get the ball.

Yeah I got that, just making a follow up comment that Winfree in the slot should also generate more targets than JMac did.

I think they both have a role. We really have no choice with ONE ****ING CATCH by a TE in four games. But yeah, Winfree in the red zone could be nice.

Gotta have a QB who can make it past his 2nd read. Combo of bad QB play and even worse OL play.

You should always weed and reseed your staff to optimize performance. Why not MM?

Loyalty is good, but it will get you beat.

Due to the Leavitt/Tumpkin/Clark dismissals 1/3 of the staff is brand new for this season. Hardly the time to make yet more staff changes. You're assuming loyalty was the driving force for the retention of certain AllBuffs punching bags. Your assumptions may be incorrect.

More pointing out we all we use all options a quite a bit. Drunk Panda is convinced Ross and others never get the ball.

That's not even close to what I said. I said we should run more plays that use them as the first read to exploit bad matchups and avoid the best corners on the other team if they are shutting down fields or hobo. That almost never happens.

But I guess you think averaging 40 yards a game against mainly bottom level competition (everyone besides Washington) is a lot

That's not even close to what I said. I said we should run more plays that use them as the first read to exploit bad matchups and avoid the best corners on the other team if they are shutting down fields or hobo. That almost never happens.

But I guess you think averaging 40 yards a game against mainly bottom level competition (everyone besides Washington) is a lot
Our "slot WRs" (Ross, Winfree and JMac) are averaging 9 receptions and 109 yards receiving/game as a group. I don't understand your issue here. Besides, the success of the offense isn't being hindered because of the WRs. It's the OL not giving Montez enough time or consistently enough running room for PL, along with Montez making poor decisions.

This is what you said:

I mean, I HAVE to believe Juwann Winfree or Devin Ross can beat the other team's #3 cornerback or one of their linebackers in coverage on a pretty regular basis.

So why the hell do we NEVER try to exploit that kind of matchup with our offense? Stop looking at Shay Fields or Bryce Bobo as the #1 target every single play, start looking at our #3 or #4 receivers as the primary target on some plays to change it up, Lindgren.

Ross is our second leading receiving by yardage. And we throw it to Winfree and MacIntyre a fair amount as well. And you know Montez is not going through many progressions on most plays.

The problem with the offense is not that Lindgren is somehow ignoring everyone but Fields or Bobo.

Last edited:
Bienemy was a terrible OC, but is considered one of the absolute best RB coaches. Sometime you have to stay in your lane. My Moniker is because I was in the stands on that cold ass night in Lincoln when EB fumbled the ball 4 times and then ran in 4 TD's to beat the Fuskers. Greatest moment thus far in my life as a Buff fan. Despite almost losing my toes to frostbite.

Frank Solich was a great RB coach and mediocre head coach. There are examples of that everywhere. Coach Chiv has all the signs of an up and coming star and I would be more than happy to see how he does by himself calling plays. From my understanding, Lindgren recruits ONLY Quarterbacks, specifically 1 per year and then somehow gets a pass on any more recruiting, while Chiv is already at 8 recruits this year and will likely help wrap up the rest of the class. That is head coaching like skills on recruiting and closing. The players love him, and he has good experiences with other coaches and systems, including the Texas Tech system which is part of the basis for the current spread systems. The offense we are running is a hodge podge of high school crap and then some nice concepts, but not enough. The first drive against Washington was Lindgrens best plays on the left side of play calling sheet, and they drove it down and scored and looked unstoppable. But, that was him blowing his wad and he had no more answers and could not out think the Washington adjustments. Coach Peterson is obviously ten times smarter than Lindgren and they made every adjustment to counter our game plan and the rest is history.

I rewatched every game last year and it became incredibly apparent that he is just not quite yet up to this level of play design and play calling. He needed to stay at the San Jose State level for a few more years. Sorry, that is how I see it.
Okay just based on what you stated in the bold print, kinda counters your argument that he has the signs of an up and coming star. Chev and Lindren are CO-offensive coordinators, which means they most likely created this system together. Unless you can truly find something that states "Chev just helps out with the whole offense, the system is all Lindren" that means that Chev is 50% of the "hodge podge of high school crap" and equally responsible for the poor offensive scheme. I'm not saying I think Chev would be a horrible lone OC at all. I'm just pointing out that if you're going to make the argument he would obviously do better than Lindgren, realize that he helped create the "high school crap." Sure Chev might be a great play caller, but if his scheme sucks like you think it does, he won't be a good OC.

Okay just based on what you stated in the bold print, kinda counters your argument that he has the signs of an up and coming star. Chev and Lindren are CO-offensive coordinators, which means they most likely created this system together. Unless you can truly find something that states "Chev just helps out with the whole offense, the system is all Lindren" that means that Chev is 50% of the "hodge podge of high school crap" and equally responsible for the poor offensive scheme. I'm not saying I think Chev would be a horrible lone OC at all. I'm just pointing out that if you're going to make the argument he would obviously do better than Lindgren, realize that he helped create the "high school crap." Sure Chev might be a great play caller, but if his scheme sucks like you think it does, he won't be a good OC.

You have to understand that he does not believe spread offenses can actually be run-based or pass-based.

Most reads in a spread are pre snap. If he is going through more than two options in a spread post snap he's screwing up and going to get lit up. Maybe that's part of our line problems? Admittedly, I haven't watched our games with this in mind.

Now I'm convinced. Fire Chev!

Back